Author Topic: How much do you pay a month for internet?  (Read 3720 times)

Online Anguyen92

Re: How much do you pay a month for internet?
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2017, 11:11:33 PM »
On another note, I feel like the guys in the FCC that voted to repeal Net Neutrality are going to watch this speech so many times and will reiterate it so many times to their opposers.  Vince McMahon's Life Sucks and then You Die speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH8cK7EOSgw

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2017, 11:26:04 PM »
I probably don't count as I live in a rural area.

I have a WISP. I get my internet from an antenna on the top of a grain elevator across from the retention pond and state highway in front of my house. Company is a Mom and Pop shop. You call the company and 9 times out of 10 it is forwarded to the owners cell phone.

I pay $70 for 6 MB down / 2 MB up. He actually has me provisioned at closer to 8 MB. Throw in another $20 for phone service.

He has already gone on record that the Net Neutrality repeal will have no effect on my service (thankfully) as he offers nothing more than access. He also has no contracts and no bandwidth caps. I could get even faster service but this gets the job done. Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime all run pretty flawlessly.

My only other options are Mediacom and Frontier and they are horrible companies. I'd rather pay a little more to the little guy for stellar service and uptime than less money for faster and more unreliable service.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2017, 05:24:01 PM »
20 euros, 100 mbps both ways.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2017, 06:45:22 PM »
20 euros, 100 mbps both ways.
Where the hell do you live? Here it'd cost roughly 80€ and only 8 mbps of upstream  :'(

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2018, 05:05:40 PM »
I pay 15 a month for 12Mb/s.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2018, 10:42:20 AM »
Just switched to all streaming. $70 a month for 1000 mbps. Although, speed tests show my Ethernet connected devices are ‘only’ getting around 450 mbps and my WiFi fed ones are around 130 mbps. Which has worked out Just fine for us.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2018, 12:26:47 PM »
Zero...well, technically it's part of a triple-play package deal. I have HD DVRs on 6 TVs, with all the premium channels, internet service, and phone service.

All for around $38.00/mo.

Did I mention I work for Comcast?  ;D

Wow, how much would you estimate that would cost a normal customer?

About $240, plus taxes and surcharges. I know this. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2018, 12:29:03 PM »
My bet is that we don't wind up paying much more, if any, for internet. We pay much more for streaming services that aren't part of our cable-co's network. Or, perhaps Comcast just adds an extra package for streaming services. "Like Netflix? Then you'll love our unlimited Netflix streaming package, starting at $19.99/mo. Hulu lovers should click here for our latest offer."

I'm sure the average joe will love that.

Well the average Joe is going to just swear at the cable companies like they have been for the past three decades, then they'll pay it, and life goes on. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2018, 03:47:16 PM »
My bet is that we don't wind up paying much more, if any, for internet. We pay much more for streaming services that aren't part of our cable-co's network. Or, perhaps Comcast just adds an extra package for streaming services. "Like Netflix? Then you'll love our unlimited Netflix streaming package, starting at $19.99/mo. Hulu lovers should click here for our latest offer."

I'm sure the average joe will love that.

Well the average Joe is going to just swear at the cable companies like they have been for the past three decades, then they'll pay it, and life goes on.

True, the good thing is we have options, if an ISP starts pulling that crap, we can just switch and go to one of the many great competitors... oh wait. Most of America (myself included) have only one choice for high speed internet.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2018, 08:30:36 PM »
Wouldn't something like this be considered to go against the antitrust laws that has been set?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2018, 08:48:49 PM »
Wouldn't something like this be considered to go against the antitrust laws that has been set?

Monopolies themselves aren't illegal.  Activities to further a monopoly (or create one) are.   It's not Comcast's fault that Cox opts not to lay duplicate wiring down in my town, for example.  There are alternatives anyway; DirectTV for one. 

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2018, 06:47:54 PM »
To update my internet situation, Spectrum is now calling the internet package that I pay for a 200mbps package (previously 100mbps). The real life speed is the same. Still $64.99.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2018, 10:53:22 AM »

Monopolies themselves aren't illegal.  Activities to further a monopoly (or create one) are.   It's not Comcast's fault that Cox opts not to lay duplicate wiring down in my town, for example.  There are alternatives anyway; DirectTV for one.

Not saying you're wrong, but don't some providers have exclusive rights to the telephone polls that would carry competitor's cabling?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2018, 11:08:42 AM »
Yup. But the worse part is that states are passing laws putting up roadblocks to prevent the cities from trying to open up competition. Can't have some forward thinking mayor building his own last mile infrastructure.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2018, 10:47:32 AM »
I was a Comcast customer for about 10 years. I had one problem with them but otherwise thought they were alright. Then they traded Dallas to TWC. I was with TWC for 12 years. I had one problem with them but otherwise thought they were really good. Then they merged with Spectrum and sank the fucking ship. After one year I'm having to bail. Really pisses me off that we have such little control over this. I have one other alternative and that's ATT which I despise with a fucking passion. Probably going to have to bite the bullet, though, because at least for right now they want my business. Spectrum sure as hell doesn't.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2018, 11:53:55 AM »
I pay around $25-30 for 100 Mbps down / 10 up

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2018, 02:39:40 PM »
I did a quick negotiation with Verizon the other day, I didn't agree, just wanted to see what they could do for me.  They were really giving me trouble and not being honest with me about cutting the TV and just giving me a quote for an internet only price.  But it turns out their offer now is cheaper than my current (or previous) offers with them and about the same cost as using their internet and using a TV streaming service.  I am likely to call back to claim that quote I think and not cut the cable.