Author Topic: How much do you pay a month for internet?  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
How much do you pay a month for internet?
« on: December 11, 2017, 06:09:14 PM »
So I am about to get my first place. As I look at internet prices, I keep seeing "part of a package" or stuff like "X amount of dollars for the first 12 months"

I just wanted to get an idea of what just internet alone is going to run? how much do you guys pay?

And second question, for the price you pay, is your internet decent? Fast, slow, satisfied, unsatisfied. Thoughts?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: How much do you pay a month for internet?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 07:52:53 PM »
I pay $76 a month for 250mbps download and 30mbps upload. That includes a 13 channel basic cable plan, 3 of which are Spanish, and none of which are in HD. I never even hooked up the box.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 07:15:42 AM by Chino »

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 07:57:20 PM »
I pay $25 because I share with neighbors, and that just went up from $20. It's fine speed-wise but I also don't do anything crazy with it. If you're moving into an apartment or something it might be worth looking into if you wanna save some dough! They let me do a trial for a month or so to make sure it worked okay and then started charging me.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 08:17:13 PM »
I pay I think 60 or 70. Not sure my speeds but it does everything I need it to do. No cable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 08:19:14 PM »
$64.99 for 100mbps.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 11:59:48 PM »
$78. Never had a problem with mine, speeds are fantastic
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 12:17:49 AM »
Dang that's a lot you guys! My bundle is $40 internet, $80 TV. I have no idea what my speeds are, they are sufficient for my lifestyle, that's all that matters.

My TV bill, that's something I truly hate, but Mrs. Cool Chris needs her Real Housewives and Teen Mom shows, so there's no way I'm getting out of it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 04:44:46 AM »
I pay $75 a month for 1gig up and 1gig down, $125 for cable. If I was single living alone I'd only have the internet which would then cost $100.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 07:09:52 AM »
$45.00 for 75 mbps with Comcast.  It was a 12 month promotional price.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 07:18:19 AM »
$70 a month for 200 mbps from Comcast, not a promo-price and no contract.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 09:18:41 AM »
I pay $45/mo after TT&L for 100 down, 15 up. Not bad at all, but I really hate Spectrum with a passion. For all the shit they got TWC was actually pretty good.

Always buy your own cable modem. You can pick up a used docsys 3 modem on eBay for $20, and Comcast probably charges you $10/mo by now to lease the thing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »
I pay $55, I think it's 100mbps, through Comcast. It's technically part of a package with a basic cable lineup as well, but I don't even have that hooked up. It was cheaper than the internet alone, which Comcast doesn't really discount anymore. 12 moth contract, but they've given it to me three years in a row when I call and ask when it runs out.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 01:52:47 PM »
Zero...well, technically it's part of a triple-play package deal. I have HD DVRs on 6 TVs, with all the premium channels, internet service, and phone service.

All for around $38.00/mo.

Did I mention I work for Comcast?  ;D

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 02:45:15 PM »
$39.99 for 100/20 for 12 months.  I always figure something out every year, and will prob do the same next year.  I've stuck with providers in the past and paid as much as $55/mo because there was no other option, but there are 2 options where I live now.  I'll worry about it when the time comes.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
Zero...well, technically it's part of a triple-play package deal. I have HD DVRs on 6 TVs, with all the premium channels, internet service, and phone service.

Wow, how much would you estimate that would cost a normal customer?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 03:02:08 PM »

Dearest New World Rushman, thank you so much for mailing me Comcast specials and deals. While I do appreciate being presented with what your company has to offer, I feel I have garnered enough information from these mailings, and do not need to continue receiving them every single fucking week.

Sincerely,
Everybody with a mailbox
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 04:54:09 PM »
Every week? Try every other day. I'm already a Spectrum customer. I have no choice. I don't need to hear about offers that aren't even as good as what I already have, and they have no mechanism to opt out. This should be what the FTC is for, but the cable companies own them. It's like fucking Brondo.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 05:07:43 PM »
I don't blame the FTC. I blame the NALC who insist this is not only reasonable but should be allowed at bulk mail rates, just to ensure their members still have jobs in the 21st century.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 07:30:18 PM »
Around $58 per month for 12/2.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 10:58:33 PM »
$55 for 75 speed.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 12:03:19 AM »
$64/mo

Started at $29.99 two years ago. For some reason it's gone up over 100% but hasn't gotten any better. Reminds me of my fuckin rent.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 06:32:30 AM »

Wow, how much would you estimate that would cost a normal customer?

I would imagine around $250-$300?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 08:02:15 AM »
I have FIOS and am in my second year. First year was $10 less and final year will be $10 more. Currently $145 after fees and taxes but that's for a faster speed, forget the exact amount, and TV with a DVR, plenty of channels, including HD, and HBO.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 11:58:20 AM »
I can only laugh whilst crying at the question since Net Neutrality just died.

I'll say this much: get in while you can and maybe there will be a longer grace period before we all get our butts stretched wide.

I pay about $70 now and somehow get 212 m/b down. I'm guessing to get that in a few months time I'll have to pay hundreds.

If murder were legal.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 12:02:57 PM »

I'll say this much: get in while you can and maybe there will be a longer grace period before we all get our butts stretched wide.

I pay about $70 now and somehow get 212 m/b down. I'm guessing to get that in a few months time I'll have to pay hundreds.

If murder were legal.

Maybe this conversation belongs in P/R, but I'm very curious to see what will actually happen. Like most political issues, each side has reacted so over-the-top it's hard to see where reality will actually lie.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 12:15:17 PM »

If murder were legal.

Maybe this conversation belongs in P/R, but I'm very curious to see what will actually happen. Like most political issues, each side has reacted so over-the-top it's hard to see where reality will actually lie.
My bet is that we don't wind up paying much more, if any, for internet. We pay much more for streaming services that aren't part of our cable-co's network. Or, perhaps Comcast just adds an extra package for streaming services. "Like Netflix? Then you'll love our unlimited Netflix streaming package, starting at $19.99/mo. Hulu lovers should click here for our latest offer."
E.F. Benson

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
My bet is that we don't wind up paying much more, if any, for internet. We pay much more for streaming services that aren't part of our cable-co's network. Or, perhaps Comcast just adds an extra package for streaming services. "Like Netflix? Then you'll love our unlimited Netflix streaming package, starting at $19.99/mo. Hulu lovers should click here for our latest offer."

I'm sure the average joe will love that.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 12:52:31 PM »

If murder were legal.

Yea, its going to come down to something like that I believe as well.  I see it as the cable companies trying to make up for lost money from the cable cutters by getting you to pay for those streaming TV services instead of paying for cable. 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 01:47:53 PM »
Can't find any info on whether or not this site is safe. It's supposed to be for contacting you congress(wo)men in order to preserve net neutrality.

https://www.battleforthenet.com/
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 01:54:15 PM »
A bit late though, already voted to repeal, although there will be legal challenges.  I'm not sure what the general public can do at this point, plus the FCC already ignored the millions of comments against it.  So much of being for the people

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 02:07:04 PM »
A bit late though, already voted to repeal, although there will be legal challenges.  I'm not sure what the general public can do at this point, plus the FCC already ignored the millions of comments against it.  So much of being for the people
Actually, the FCC drowned out the appeals against it with fraudulent claims of support. It didn't ignore them.

In any case, Congress has yet to do anything one way or the other about net neutrality. This was the FCC's decision and Congress might decide to intercede. I wouldn't bet on it, they're afraid of Grabby who's taken the TELCO's side on this, but it's still possible. The truth is that NN is very popular. It's just a matter of whether or not our representatives care more about us or Comcast. In my case I already know the answer, but other people's reps might be less of a shill than mine.
E.F. Benson

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 02:47:02 PM »
Ok.  I'm still a little confused on what has happened now that the FCC has voted to repeal NN.  Are the ISPs going to raise the price of internet browsing further and introduced tiered pricing?  If so, when?  Can the general public, the majority of which wanted the FCC not do to what they did, do something?  What will become of us as regular DTFs viewers?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 02:48:26 PM »
There's no expected change in the near future.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 03:11:30 PM »
Ok.  I'm still a little confused on what has happened now that the FCC has voted to repeal NN.  Are the ISPs going to raise the price of internet browsing further and introduced tiered pricing?  If so, when?  Can the general public, the majority of which wanted the FCC not do to what they did, do something?  What will become of us as regular DTFs viewers?
The upshot of all of this for their customers is that the cable companies can now block websites, services, or protocols they don't like. This isn't particularly likely, though. The bigger concern is that on the back end they can throttle services before they get to you. A cable company could charge Netflix beau coup dolleros for the bandwidth to stream their services, while giving Hulu, owned by the same parent company of the cable company, a free ride. Netflix would presumably pass along that cost to their subscribers. Now they cost much more to subscribe to than Hulu. Sucks to be Netflix, I guess.
E.F. Benson

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2017, 08:51:14 PM »
^ That, but so much more.

For as much as I agree with you Barto, per norm, I also think that while the general nincompoop's whole doomsday freak out is overblown (because when you tell someone something even marginally bad and they have no idea what you just said, the answer is to freak the fuck out), it has some smidgen of warrant to it. They just gave the greediest, sleaziest, most shady motherfuckers the keys to all of our proverbial cars riding the digital superhighway, that is about as factual as an opinion can get. It's not like Ma and Pa's Net Package will crop up now, as General Paiface seems to infer with his "this will open up new doors for business"/"a more open internet"/"more competition". Bullshit. It's still going to be the titans of the industry, except now Pai gave them even more power. It is an inherent fact of the human condition that if you say to someone "here, if you wish it, you can have more", sure as fuckin' shit 99.9% of people are going to take more with a shit eating grin (that .1% is obviously Kevin Moore).

Now, how much of a shit show this will be is up in the air and yeah, I don't think it's going to ruin all of our lives. But it's not going to be good, and there is more of a chance that Pai says "P.S. All this money is going to be donated to end world hunger!" than things actually "get better" (as if something was wrong to begin with, except the bulging size of his pockets). It's just going to be more money at the end of the day. It sucks, that's all. But y'know, the older I get, the easier it is to deal with shit sucking because it seems that this is sadly the waters we're wading into as the years go on. (I seriously understand my 98 year old grandfathers utter disdain for most of the living world today more and more)

This is all of course stemming from my massive porn collection being threatened. Forget all the thriving smaller businesses online that can't afford to pay the big bucks that will no doubt die out. My porn man. MY FUCKING PORN.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.