Author Topic: Fitbit  (Read 1628 times)

Online Harmony

Fitbit
« on: March 01, 2018, 12:55:48 PM »
So I've been using a Fitbit for a couple of weeks now.  Generally, I'm impressed.  Many years ago I had a similar heart-rate type monitor that was worn on the upper arm.  This seems so much more comfortable and also seems to be extremely accurate as far as calories burned during exercise.  I love the pedometer.  I am not getting in as many steps a day as I had thought - not even close!  The sleep info is really cool too - though I hardly ever have sleep problems so it is more fun to me than helpful.

But here's the thing.  At least once each week it has completely not registered my 30 minutes of exercise.  It tracks the calories burned but not the "days of weekly exercise."  I've tried going on their message boards to find out what I'm doing wrong or how I can make sure that it won't happen again.  And outside of recharging it or trying to wear it on the other arm, nothing helpful is suggested.  Maybe I got a lemon and just need to return it.

Anyone here have one and run into similar issues?  Anyone have a great story about how it helped them with fitness or weight loss goals?
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Fitbit
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 01:32:21 PM »
I got one, but stopped using it since my new phone does everything the fitbit does, and I don't like having crap on my wrist. I was a bit depressed when I first got it since it told me a typical day at work for me was averaging around 30k steps. I thought at that rate I'd lost the gut but alas, old age won that battle and the beast is still there.

I think at some point I'm probably gonna invest in a smart watch, I do like having the wrist notifications for messages and calls, and being able to check them without pulling my phone out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 03:19:12 PM »
a typical day at work for me was averaging around 30k steps.

Damn!  I know it's a busy day for me when I hit 10k at work.  Im at 8k today.  I just use my phone, but I've considered getting a fitbit for all the other uses like the sleep patterns and heart rates.   But it's a watch you have to wear, and that's kind of a bummer as I'm not big on wearing watches.

Online Harmony

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 05:20:41 PM »

Holy shit!   :o   May I ask what you do?  I haven't made 10K even once yet.   :-[

Interesting that you guys don't like the watch-wearing aspect.  I know I'm an old lady but it wasn't that long ago that it seemed like everyone wore a watch.  I guess with cellphones they have become almost obsolete.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 05:36:20 PM »
I am going to piss on this thread a bit (har) and say that every single person I know who has a Fitbit uses it to track their steps. AND NOTHING ELSE. My wife asked for one for a birthday, so I shelled out $100+ or whatever it was for something to tell her how many steps she takes in a day. Now, she doesn't wear it, because she doesn't want to know that she isn't taking as many steps as she should. I know it does other things, and presumably my Fitbit-wearing friends do too. But for them it is just one expensive pedometer.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Harmony

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 05:46:52 PM »
Ha ha, yes that would be an expensive pedometer.    :P

I like that it interfaces with MyFitnessPal where I can track my calories in while FB tracks my calories out.  It is also very useful to use during my workout as it tells me when I move in and out of the optimal heartrate zone.

Like I said in my OP, the sleep thing is very intriguing to me.  I wonder if it could be used diagnostically?  If someone had undiagnosed sleep apnea I would think this could give them a giant clue to go get some sleep studies done.  It details out the number of minutes you are awake, in light sleep, in deep sleep, and in REM sleep.  And it shows how you move through each stage in a bar graph.  Get up to take a pee?  Yep, there it is at 2:20.

One night I did have a little too much to drink.   :angel:  I assumed my sleep pattern would be horrible with less REM and deep sleep.  I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that drinking really fucks up your sleep patterns.  But nope, best night's sleep yet.   :D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 07:08:31 PM »
I know I'm an old lady but it wasn't that long ago that it seemed like everyone wore a watch.  I guess with cellphones they have become almost obsolete.

This came up before in another thread.  I am not a fan of watches personally, but I don't think my opinions represents all.  A lot of people are still accustomed to wearing or really enjoy wearing watches.  To me, I think cell phones have made them close to obsolete.  Adding things like sleep patterns, steps, anything else "smart" makes them more attractive now to me, but still, I am not very big into wearing something. 

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 10:19:00 PM »
Mine has been really helpful to me in that it becomes a game each day to make sure I have at least reached my goal.  I've lost 60 lbs since I got it.  I do have periodic glitches like you referenced, and not sure what to do about it.  For example, sometimes it says that I've burned thousands more calories than I know I had.  I haven't used the sleep mode simply because it seems like it would be uncomfortable to sleep in.  But the heart rate, # of steps, # of flights of stairs, etc is really cool to keep track of and to be able to add my calorie intake to ensure I stay under my goal each day.
Glad you are enjoying yours, Harmony.

And Lonestar, 30k at the restaurant is insane!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 11:11:08 PM »

Holy shit!   :o   May I ask what you do?  I haven't made 10K even once yet.   :-[
He's a chef at a highfalutin restaurant.

As a means of losing weight I think it would only serve to piss me off. However the sleep thing is pretty intriguing. I always thought it'd be kick ass to be able to control your dreams, and tracking and learning your sleep patterns and dreaming is the way to achieve that.

Medical examiners must really dig the shit out of those things. I suspect they've assisted in resolving a few mysterious deaths by now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 05:20:39 AM »
My Fitbit doesn't register ANY of my exercise.  I was sitting watching TV the other night and went in the kitchen for some potato chips, and it didn't see ANY of it. 

Kidding of course, but my wife uses one and I don't believe she's seen that issue.  We were trying to use one with our son - who is struggling with weight issues even at 10 - and we have seen that.   But then again, his dad told him that it was "gay" so there may be other issues at play. ;)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 08:40:01 AM »
My Fitbit doesn't register ANY of my exercise.  I was sitting watching TV the other night and went in the kitchen for some potato chips, and it didn't see ANY of it. 

Kidding of course, but my wife uses one and I don't believe she's seen that issue.  We were trying to use one with our son - who is struggling with weight issues even at 10 - and we have seen that.   But then again, his dad told him that it was "gay" so there may be other issues at play. ;)
I feel bad about laughing at that, but damn.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Harmony

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 02:18:07 PM »
Mine has been really helpful to me in that it becomes a game each day to make sure I have at least reached my goal.  I've lost 60 lbs since I got it.  I do have periodic glitches like you referenced, and not sure what to do about it.  For example, sometimes it says that I've burned thousands more calories than I know I had.  I haven't used the sleep mode simply because it seems like it would be uncomfortable to sleep in.  But the heart rate, # of steps, # of flights of stairs, etc is really cool to keep track of and to be able to add my calorie intake to ensure I stay under my goal each day.
Glad you are enjoying yours, Harmony.

And Lonestar, 30k at the restaurant is insane!

60 pounds!  That's amazing.  WTG!!   :hefdaddy

The more I'm talking to other people about the glitches, sounds like it is a pretty common occurrence.  I guess I'm just going to roll with it for now.  It still seems pretty accurate 90% of the time.  I can live with that.   :smiley:

Online Harmony

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 02:20:30 PM »

He's a chef at a highfalutin restaurant.

As a means of losing weight I think it would only serve to piss me off. However the sleep thing is pretty intriguing. I always thought it'd be kick ass to be able to control your dreams, and tracking and learning your sleep patterns and dreaming is the way to achieve that.

Medical examiners must really dig the shit out of those things. I suspect they've assisted in resolving a few mysterious deaths by now.

Highfalutin huh....I like those types of restaurants.  Too bad I have champagne tastes and a beer budget.

I never thought about the ME aspect.  I bet you are right!  "We got another stiff from the gym.  At least he had his fitbit on!"   :lol

Online Harmony

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 02:23:06 PM »

I feel bad about laughing at that, but damn.  :lol

I had to read that twice.  I thought, "Stadler why are you telling your son his Fitbit is gay when your wife is wearing one too?"   :huh:

I think I get it now.  I assume Stadler is a stepdad.  If I have that correct, Stads your son's biodad sounds like a dick.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 07:29:36 AM »

If I'm wrong someone will correct me, I'm sure, but I'm pretty sure there is already an Apple Watch (their version of the Fitbit, more or less) that makes a similar assertion. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 07:34:25 AM »
I had to read that twice.  I thought, "Stadler why are you telling your son his Fitbit is gay when your wife is wearing one too?"   :huh:

It was quasi my idea to get them BOTH to wear them.  (My wife is beautiful and in good shape, but does ZERO exercise and her mom and dad AND brother have all had heart attacks (dad and bro more than one).

I assume Stadler is a stepdad. CORRECT
Stads your son's biodad sounds like a dick.  CORRECT, although "dick" is probably too nice a word.  And that's from me giving him the benefit of the doubt.