Author Topic: Interesting Documentaries  (Read 11575 times)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Interesting Documentaries
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2014, 05:26:11 AM »
Everyone keeps telling me that as a Metallica fan, I should see Some Kind of Monster. I'm just not sure I want to be reminded of St. Anger.

It pretty good though. There is enough not St Anger to make it bearable.

Do it.  One of my favourites, seen it more times than I care to mention.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2014, 02:47:26 AM »
From ISIS to the Islamic State:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw613M86o5o7ELT6LKyJFKawB6gUsZSf7

VICE always delivers when it comes to footage.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2014, 06:35:44 AM »
Even though I'm not at all into those bands, I loved Dave Grohl's Sound City and watched it multiple times.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2014, 07:32:11 AM »
Even though I'm not at all into those bands, I loved Dave Grohl's Sound City and watched it multiple times.

That's soooo good.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2014, 10:05:39 AM »
If you like science and/or followed the stuff of the LHC, you should check out Particle Fever.

It tracks the first years of the LHC from when it became operational to the first discoveries of the Higgs boson through the eyes of experimental physicists working at the LHC and theoretical physicists trying to provide a framework of the results. There's an interesting thread about the competing supersymetry/multiverse theories that also runs through the doc.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2014, 07:58:43 AM »
If you like science and/or followed the stuff of the LHC, you should check out Particle Fever.

It tracks the first years of the LHC from when it became operational to the first discoveries of the Higgs boson through the eyes of experimental physicists working at the LHC and theoretical physicists trying to provide a framework of the results. There's an interesting thread about the competing supersymetry/multiverse theories that also runs through the doc.
Will definitly look that up. One question though, is it presented in a way that you actually can understand what they're talking about? I'm very interested at the LHC itself but a bit novis when it comes to what they actually are doing there.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2014, 01:45:45 PM »
I just watched the new Netflix documentary called Mission Blue. It was pretty good.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2014, 05:17:25 PM »

Will definitly look that up. One question though, is it presented in a way that you actually can understand what they're talking about? I'm very interested at the LHC itself but a bit novis when it comes to what they actually are doing there.
Well, it's not made "for dummies" so to speak, they definitely expect you to have a basic understanding of science/physics.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2014, 06:04:28 PM »
Guys.  Go watch 'A Band Called Death'.  It's a pretty sweet doco about a trio of black brothers who pretty much invented punk by accident at a family bbq.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2014, 12:21:16 AM »

Well, it's not made "for dummies" so to speak, they definitely expect you to have a basic understanding of science/physics.
Ok. I will give it a shot anyway.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2014, 02:22:52 AM »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »
Guys.  Go watch 'A Band Called Death'.  It's a pretty sweet doco about a trio of black brothers who pretty much invented punk by accident at a family bbq.

Watched it. Man the guitarist of the band had so much talent and determination as well belief in his music that it sucks that it didn't pay off for him. I'm glad that this music eventually got the attention it has gotten although it was 35 years too late.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2014, 03:23:17 PM »
Gonna be real obvious and say " Super Size Me ".

I don't really like eating junk food as it is but watching that puts me off it even more.

I could never be one of those people who only eats junk food and just doesn't eat anything healthy EVER.

Junk food makes you feel bad. That's all. It may taste good at the exact moment you're eating it but immediately after you feel so awful.

Whereas a good healthy meal tastes great and makes you feel good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »
This is going to sound like a bad B-movie, but it is a real (and pretty fascinating) documentary:  Killer Whale Vs Great White shark (National Geographic WILD):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8oIv0NVKz8
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2014, 08:40:02 PM »

Watched it. Man the guitarist of the band had so much talent and determination as well belief in his music that it sucks that it didn't pay off for him. I'm glad that this music eventually got the attention it has gotten although it was 35 years too late.

I no rite?  Pretty eerie how he pretty much called it though.  Great film.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2014, 10:41:29 AM »
Interesting little doc from Vice:

The Real 'Wolf of Wall Street'?

The title may be a bit misleading because they're not questioning if the movie is based on Jordan Belforts life, just to be clear.

In the mid 1990s, Leonardo DiCaprio was the king of the world. The baby-faced movie star was about to play the leading role in Titanic, and he spent some of his time hanging with Dana Giacchetto, a former investment banker and member of the new wave group Breakfast in Bed, at Giacchetto's penthouse loft on Broadway and Cortlandt in Manhattan. The two friends owned matching cockatoos named Angel and Caesar and hosted lavish parties for the most powerful people in 90s film, fashion, and finance: Michael Stipe, Andrew Cuomo, Kate Moss, Winona Ryder, Harmony Korine, and Alanis Morissette, among other celebrities.

In between doing the things that happen at late-night parties, including spraying vintage champagne everywhere, some guests made million-dollar late-night deals—at least that's what Giacchetto claims. His high life crashed down on him when he was arrested in 2000 and pleaded guilty to fraud under the Investment Advisers Act. After that, most of his clients left him, and the court sentenced him to a maximum of 57 months in prison for misappropriating approximately $9 million. Thanks to good behavior, time already served in prison, and his willingness to enter rehab, he was released early, but his life has never been the same.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2014, 05:30:10 PM »
Hm, interesting. I love how Harmony Korine is lumped in there with "powerful" people and celebrities  :lol

I posted about this in the movie thread, but I saw an AMAZING doc during the film festival last week. It's called The Man Who Saved the World, and it's about a Russian colonel named Stanislav Petrov who saved us all from almost certain doom in 1983 when there was a false alarm telling Russia the US had launched a bunch of missiles at them. This guy has an amazing story and is just a pleasure to watch on screen, even when he's being a total dick :lol
Gorgeously made. I laughed and cried several times. See this shit if you get the chance!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2014, 03:57:15 AM »
Gasland 1 & 2
Sound City
Michael Moore docos are always good Bowling for Columbine etc
Paradise Lost 1,2,3   Memphis 3
West of Memphis
Inside Job   Wall St
Hoop Dreams...and there was another one done that followed LeBron James and others from high school, can't remember the name
Morgan Spurlock docos like Super Size Me, Greatest Movie ever sold
Last week I watched Gravity for the first time and there was a doco on the special features about the amount of space junk in space, great doco
Page one: Inside the New York Times

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2014, 11:57:30 AM »
The Digital Love Industry

Because, science....

I love how scientific they get behind all the tech.  :lol
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:04:55 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2015, 04:49:38 AM »
Been on a SNL hype lately for some reason. Anyway here's an fun behind the scenes/documentary of SNL by James Franco:

James Franco Saturday Night Documentary 2010

It's interesting to see the process from coming up with sketches to see it on screen and also how hard they're working on every joke/line in a sketch and how tough it must be to come up with new material every week.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:04:08 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2016, 12:21:04 PM »
Leonardo DiCaprios new documentary is up on NGs YT site:

Before the Flood - Full Movie

Just started watching, it baffles me why people find it so hard to believe climate change and the effect we have on nature.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2016, 12:51:31 PM »
More Than Honey
That Sugar Film (eye opener..and I already don't eat desert) the smoothy...good god. It's made with real fruit.

Ice Guardians
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2016, 06:27:22 AM »
The Cove - About Dolphin slaughter in Taiji Japan. Thriller Documentary!
https://thecovemovie.com/

Racing Extinction - From the guys who made The Cove, About the mass extinction going underway right now. Amazing visuals!
https://racingextinction.com/

Cowspiracy - The effect of Animal Agriculture on Global Warming compared to Fossil fuels.
https://www.cowspiracy.com/

Forks over Knives - Investigating the unlikely origins of our leading fatal diseases.
https://www.forksoverknives.com/
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2016, 10:15:27 AM »
Really loved "Prescription Thugs" by Chris Bell.

Looks at the pharmaceutical world and the prescription drug addiction. It's a crazy domino effect and really eye opening.
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2016, 11:57:58 AM »
Overnight (about the director of Boondock Saints and how he ruined his career in making this, his only, film)

Searching for Sugar Man

Electric Boogaloo - the story of cannon films

Doomed - the shelved Roger Corman adaptation of Fantastic Four

Lost Soul - about the failed remake of Island of Dr .Moreau

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2019, 11:04:15 AM »
Inside America’s Ridiculously Old-Fashioned Gun-Tracing Center

I love how they shot this and also Charles J. Houser, what a character.  :lol

Oh btw mods: whould you be so kind to move this to Movies and TVs?

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2020, 11:44:30 PM »
Recently watch some behind the scenes documentaries on youtube of the making of some awesome video games. God Of War, Jedi: Fallen Order, The Last of Us, etc. Thoroughly enjoyed them.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2020, 10:47:26 AM »
Inbred Family-The Whitakers

This is just....wow!  :'(

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2020, 04:10:14 PM »
I quite enjoyed United Skates of America.

also, Grey Gardens (1975 original, not the loosely copied "inspired by" version with Drew Barrymore).
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs: