Author Topic: Dream Theater Signs With SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT via its INSIDE OUT imprint  (Read 15776 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Signs With SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT via its INSIDE OUT imprint
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2017, 08:38:59 AM »
DT and Haken would really be a solid bill and huge for Haken. Plus I think a lot of DT fans unfamiliar would enjoy them

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Dream Theater Signs With SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT via its INSIDE OUT imprint
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2017, 08:56:04 AM »
Would love for a DT/FW/Haken bill.  :metal

Just in general I would love to see multi-band bills again. This has nothing directly to do with DT, but I start zoning out after 2 hours of the same band, no matter who it is.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2017, 09:01:08 AM »

Just in general I would love to see multi-band bills again. This has nothing directly to do with DT, but I start zoning out after 2 hours of the same band, no matter who it is.

I'd guess the next tour to support the next album will not be an evening with. They've done it a couple times in a row now to support DT12 and TA and now also with the I&W tour. I think at this point, DT would welcome a set under 2 hours.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2017, 11:00:36 AM »
Yeah, that would be perfect.  I just rarely have time for those 3 - 3 1/2 hour sets anymore.  So a show where I could skip two boring openers and get a shorter headlining set would be nice for a change. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2017, 11:30:46 AM »
I just rarely have time for those 3 - 3 1/2 hour sets anymore.  So a show where I could skip two boring openers and get a shorter headlining set would be nice for a change.
....or you guys could just leave the show early (and beat the traffic rush), and everyone else could continue enjoying the show.  ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2017, 12:00:39 PM »
:lol  Actually, joking aside, FW and DT together would be a dream bill for me, since I don't think I'll get to see FW any other way.  Theories was my album of the year for 2016.

Haken, on the other hand...I get that they're popular, but they just bore me to tears and vomit-induced tremors.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2017, 12:17:50 PM »
I saw DT and FW on the Awake tour in Seattle. Awesome show! :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2017, 02:10:23 PM »

What venue?

And is that the last time FW was relevant?   :biggrin: Sorry I just don't get FW at all.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2017, 11:11:06 PM »
Fates Warning rules. If DT decides to have an opener, FW would be awesome. But I hope they don't. Would much rather see as much DT material as possible.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2017, 02:39:27 AM »
Haken, on the other hand...I get that they're popular, but they just bore me to tears and vomit-induced tremors.
You are a terrible person.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evai

« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2017, 03:44:12 AM »

Phew, I thought there was something wrong with me  :lol I forced myself to listen to Haken over and over cause I was sure I'd 'get' it at some point
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online Mladen

« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2017, 04:46:33 AM »
I remember when Dream Theater took Trivium on tour as the opening act several years ago. It's not like only prog metal bands should be taken into account when considering potential opening acts. If they did however decide to go with a prog band that should get more exposure, bands like Haken, Vola and Caligula's Horse would be my top picks.

Offline gborland

« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2017, 05:44:49 AM »
:lol  Actually, joking aside, FW and DT together would be a dream bill for me, since I don't think I'll get to see FW any other way.  Theories was my album of the year for 2016.

Their biggest problem is the singer.
Graham Borland

Offline Evai

« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2017, 06:11:52 AM »
Not the singer specifically, but the vocal melodies. Not every note has to be sustained for a full bar  ???
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2017, 10:21:21 AM »
Not the singer specifically, but the vocal melodies. Not every note has to be sustained for a full bar  ???

I've heard this comment before and can never understand it. Yes, their vocal melodies include long, sustained notes sometimes, but 1. I think that when they do that, it creates a cool contrast with the fast staccato-riffs and time signature changes, plus, it lines up pretty cool with some of the spacy keyboard passages and 2. I don't even feel that they do that too often.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Evai

« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »
Imagine a guitar lead line where a guitarist plays a single note for a whole bar, no vibrato or bends. Then in the next bar he plays a different note, doing the same thing. That's how Hakens vocal lines make me feel. It's also like someone talking to me really slowly, as if I'm not particularly clever and need things explained to me slowly. Waaaattteeeeerrrr flooowwwiiing throuuuuuugh myyyyyyy veeeeiiiiiinss

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2017, 01:08:08 PM »
I’m a BIG Haken fan but I kinda have to agree that the band’s approach towards vocal melody is very unique (strange, even). I love most of their songs by now but it took me some time to really understand and appreciate them. They are rather unconventional and not very easy on the ears but strangely they seem to fit Ross just fine.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »

What venue?

And is that the last time FW was relevant?   :biggrin: Sorry I just don't get FW at all.
It was a The Moore Theater..  FW was kind of forgettable, but DT was awesome! 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2017, 05:33:14 PM »
The Kevin Moore theater? :neverusethis:

That is a great venue and where I saw them on the ToT tour. Just curious where they played back in the mid-90s and too lazy to look it up.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline JLa

« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2017, 04:50:45 AM »

Definitely in good company. And the trash talk from SoA is sure to stop now.
InsideOut should do a prog festival. That line-up!  :o

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2017, 05:42:26 AM »
I’m a BIG Haken fan but I kinda have to agree that the band’s approach towards vocal melody is very unique (strange, even). I love most of their songs by now but it took me some time to really understand and appreciate them. They are rather unconventional and not very easy on the ears but strangely they seem to fit Ross just fine.

When I heard Aquarius the first time I loved it instantly. One of my first thoughts was "I can't imagine any DT fan NOT liking this". I have almost never heard a band which required less work to get into than Haken.

I can see Haken taking DTs throne after they retire. There's a lot of comments out there saying they love the music but they have problems with the singer. Sound familiar? ;)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2017, 06:44:17 AM »

When I heard Aquarius the first time I loved it instantly. One of my first thoughts was "I can't imagine any DT fan NOT liking this". I have almost never heard a band which required less work to get into than Haken.

I can see Haken taking DTs throne after they retire. There's a lot of comments out there saying they love the music but they have problems with the singer. Sound familiar? ;)

The problem for them will be that even if they sit on the throne, the kingdom is much smaller now than it was for DT in their prime.

Offline Evai

« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2017, 07:34:12 AM »
One of my first thoughts was "I can't imagine any DT fan NOT liking this". I have almost never heard a band which required less work to get into than Haken.

They lack the rockin'. There's a lot of weird timing and chord changes but a lacking of rockin'. That's why I like Sons Of Apollo more than Haken

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2017, 09:40:29 AM »

I like Haken's second and third album, but not the first and fourth album and the EP. They tend to have very long instrumentals that have so many repeating patterns. Move on to the next musical idea already!

Online pg1067

« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »
First of all, is Jordan wearing leather (or pleather) pants in that photo?!  Wasn't he the one who asked JLB and JM during the LSFNY band commentary how they keep their leather pants clean?  Can we now safely assume Jordan has figured out the answer to that question?

Second, Mangini looks like he's the first one lose it and crack up in response to someone off camera telling them to "look brooding but accessible!"

Third, does Petrucci share beard grooming tips with Justin Turner and Dallas Keuchel?

Fourth:  Myung eats egg white omelettes; Petrucci eats steel cut oatmeal infused with protein powder; Rudess is a cereal guy (Froot Loops or Apple Jacks); Labrie and Mangini do, indeed, eat pancakes and waffles, respectively (but, ironically, Mangini has Canadian bacon on the side, while Labrie prefers "real" bacon).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online pg1067

« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »

What venue?

Fates Warning is amazing.  Unquestionably in my top five bands all time.  Mike Portnoy's comments in the liner notes of the special edition of Awaken the Guardian say a lot.

I saw the DT/FW double bill at the Galaxy Theatre in Santa Ana, CA on 12/8/94 (https://www.mikeportnoy.com/dates/MPTourography/ShowInfo.aspx?showId=260).  It was an amazing show by both bands, and I really wish I had also gone the next night (the last night the two bands played together) at the Palace in Hollywood.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »
The Kevin Moore theater? :neverusethis:

That is a great venue and where I saw them on the ToT tour. Just curious where they played back in the mid-90s and too lazy to look it up.
I was also at the ToT show at The Moore. That was great when Scott Rockenfield joined MP on drums. We also got ACOS in its entirety that night..  :metal

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2017, 03:57:59 PM »
One of my first thoughts was "I can't imagine any DT fan NOT liking this". I have almost never heard a band which required less work to get into than Haken.

They lack the rockin'. There's a lot of weird timing and chord changes but a lacking of rockin'. That's why I like Sons Of Apollo more than Haken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XKPW0XVXe4
o.O

Offline Evai

« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2017, 04:21:09 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XKPW0XVXe4
o.O

Lets see... random, uncatchy dissonnant riff to start it off? Check. Non-groovy drums that just sound like a wash of cymbals? Check. Now, when I say rockin', I mean make you wanna get outta your seat and start groovin ROCKIN'

Anyway it is kinda cool

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2017, 05:05:02 PM »
To each their own for what they find to be "rockin" and what music we like, but Haken is a fairly similar band to DT so regardless of my liking of them, they'd make a good tour mate that I think would be mutually beneficial (assuming DT were open to dropping the Evening With Format).

Edit to add that also, Haken doing DT (aka MP's TSF) show was one of the most rockin shows I saw this year (concert #34 is next week so there's a lot to judge against) so I definitely think they (themselves) can certainly rock (I also think their music, at times, is rockin)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2017, 05:59:51 PM »

Definitely in good company. And the trash talk from SoA is sure to stop now.
InsideOut should do a prog festival. That line-up!  :o

Thatd be amazing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2017, 07:31:05 PM »
To each their own for what they find to be "rockin" and what music we like, but Haken is a fairly similar band to DT so regardless of my liking of them, they'd make a good tour mate that I think would be mutually beneficial (assuming DT were open to dropping the Evening With Format).

Edit to add that also, Haken doing DT (aka MP's TSF) show was one of the most rockin shows I saw this year (concert #34 is next week so there's a lot to judge against) so I definitely think they (themselves) can certainly rock (I also think their music, at times, is rockin)
That would be a great show!  It might never happen, but a Dream Theater/Nightwish co-headline tour would be the ultimate!! At least for me anyway.  DT and SX would be awesome too.  :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2017, 08:14:54 AM »
Well I already saw Iron Maiden and Dream Theater tour together (My two favorite bands) so not sure anything can top that, but I'd take DT and NW although that'll never happen as they are both too big to tour together for most venues and too small to do an arena tour in the US.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2017, 08:31:28 AM »
DT and SX would be awesome too.  :metal

It didn't exactly suck in 2007  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2017, 10:05:59 AM »
Well I already saw Iron Maiden and Dream Theater tour together (My two favorite bands) so not sure anything can top that, but I'd take DT and NW although that'll never happen as they are both too big to tour together for most venues and too small to do an arena tour in the US.
I would think DT and NW would be about perfect for  2 - 4000 seat venues throughout the US.  Kind of like when DT and Queensryche toured doing a co-headline act.
 Could you imagine if both bands did an encore together with James and Floor singing at the same time!  Hypothetically speaking of course...