Author Topic: The Van der Graaf Generator Thread  (Read 753 times)

Online NoseofNicko

The Van der Graaf Generator Thread
« on: December 08, 2017, 09:43:59 PM »
Searched for a thread and couldn’t find one.

Have been into them for years, but I’ve been listening to them a lot lately and I now consider them one of my favorite bands. H to He Who Am the Only One, Pawn Hearts, Goldbluff and Still Life are just fantastic albums. I also listened to their latest Do Not Disturb and it’s pretty good. I think my favorite 3 songs by them are A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers (that one required multiple listens, but now I think it’s amazing), Man-Erg and The Emperor in His War-Room.

Any other fans?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:58:38 AM by NoseofNicko »

Offline Mladen

Re: The Van der Graaf Generator Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 03:23:26 AM »
I'm a huge fan, VdGG is one of my favorite 70s prog acts. There are very few bands that released a streak of five great albums, but Peter and the gang are one of them - every album from H to he up to World record is brilliant. What gets me the most excited about this band are Peter's vocals and lyrics, the melodies are either gorgeous or terrifying, and of course, the way they construct the songs is the epitomy of prog.

Favorite songs: The Undercover man (a masterpiece), The Emperor in his war room, Childlike faith in childhood's end,  La Rossa, The Sleepwalkers, When she comes, Lemmings.

Also, some of their recent stuff was interesting. I wasn't too impressed by Do not disturbed, although I listened to it quite a bit when it came out - however, A Grounding in numbers still blows me away.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 04:03:18 AM »
Together with Gentle Giant, VDGG is my favorite prog band from the classic ones like KC, Genesis, PF, Camel, etc. I think both were the most innovative.

I don't have a favorite album. Anything from the debut to World Record is awesome.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 07:12:39 AM »
I really got into them when I lived in Argentina in 2010/2011 through A Grounding In Numbers and I still associate that album with Argentina and my time there. VdGG requires quite a lot of work to get into but once you do, you'll be greatly rewarded.

I love H, Pawn Hearts and Still Life (especially Pilgrims). And Grounding of course.

Oh and by the way, here's a picture of me and Dave Jackson :D (I know I look a little off, but it was the NoTP festival and I hadn't showered for 2 days AND I HAD JUST MET FUCKIN DAVID JACKSON)

any rock can be made to roll