Author Topic: One hit wonders that offer more than that one hit  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
One hit wonders that offer more than that one hit
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:52:29 AM »
There's probably a thread on this already, but I was unsuccessful in finding it, so he goes a new one.

There's a lot of bands that truly only have that "one hit" that is worth checking out, but on the flipside there's some bands that have a solid catalogue of music, but just happen to be mislabeled as one hit for one reason or another.

For me, its definitely Blind Melon

They will be forever know as the "No rain" band, but man, they have so much more to offer.

Their debut album and follow up Soup are fantastic albums full of bluesy, folk rock songs. Many of which are a lot of fun and some are beautiful. So I definitely think they are a band that rises above the moniker of "one hit" wonder.

How about you guys, any bands that you really like but were labeled as "one hit" wonders?

Offline 8GRND

Re: One hit wonders that offer more than that one hit
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:55:59 AM »
So, is DT a one-hit wonder? They're really a progressive metal master and also had extensive fanbase "underground", but their only hit is PMU.
"Don't bully me, I'm just in "Wenger stay" side." - 8GRND

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 07:07:46 AM »
So, is DT a one-hit wonder? They're really a progressive metal master and also had extensive fanbase "underground", but their only hit is PMU.

Well, to some people surely are. There must be someone out there who isn't into this kind of music, but still likes Pull Me Under, then 5 years later or so goes "Hey, let's see if these guys are still around" and find on YouTube a 11 minute songs with a 5 minutes solo and goes "yeah, whatever"  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:15:55 AM »
I always thought Kansas was a one hit wonder (with "Dust in the Wind")  :biggrin: Then I heard "Carry on my wayward son", so I thought that they had two hits, and so on, now I have heard several albums of theirs that I really like (with the help of the Kansas thread in this forum). I know... silly me!

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 07:42:27 AM »
Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City are the two most straightforward examples that I can think of. The former only has one real hit with "Call Me Maybe" (and possibly "Good Time", actually featuring Owl City), but E-MO-TION is one of the best pop album ever produced and imo the second best in the 2000s/2010s. Owl City has some pretty decent songs outside of the borderline overplayed "Fireflies", if you're into that borderline saccharine pop (which I can jell with). There's a lot of singer/songwriters that only have one song chart well enough to be a hit, like Tristan Prettyman and Vanessa Carlton, that have some decent songs outside of "My Oh My" and "A Thousand Miles".

Outside of that, there's some bands/artists that can technically be described as a "one-hit wonder", even though they're a huge name in their respective scene. Stuff like Incubus, System of a Down, Dream Theater, Dragonforce dcTalk, Rush, ELP, The Mars Volta, Meshuggah, Avenged Sevenfold (actually have never went beyond #51 on the Hot 100), Seether, Apocalyptica, etc. etc. They all have a lot of really good songs, but only one or two have ever made the charts or are played much more often than any others. And then there's regional stuff too. ABBA is a one-hit wonder here in the states, but in Europe they're probably one of the biggest pop acts in history. And don't even get me started on classical music.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 08:38:39 AM »
Carly Rae Jepsen and Owl City are the two most straightforward examples that I can think of. The former only has one real hit with "Call Me Maybe" (and possibly "Good Time", actually featuring Owl City), but E-MO-TION is one of the best pop album ever produced and imo the second best in the 2000s/2010s. Owl City has some pretty decent songs outside of the borderline overplayed "Fireflies", if you're into that borderline saccharine pop (which I can jell with).

That's a good shoutout.  Carly Rae Jepsen has Call Me Maybe and Owl City has Fireflies and yet both had another hit that is "Good Time" (man, I really loathe that song) and that was actually an Owl City song that featured Jepsen.  Owl City has good plenty of good songs (many very very sugary, but I too don't mind that), but the band is only known for Fireflies (nothing wrong with that, I like it).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 08:43:39 AM »
I actually did pick up that Owl City album back in the day, the one with Fireflies on it. Been a long time since I've listened to it but I enjoyed quite a few songs on it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"