Author Topic: The "Band Covers" thread  (Read 1824 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
The "Band Covers" thread
« on: December 08, 2017, 10:29:11 AM »
There was an interesting discussion regarding what makes a good cover version in the DT sub, so maybe we can discuss this further here, and post examples.

To me, a good cover takes a song into a place it wasn't before. That doesn't necessarily mean it has to be radically different, but at the very least, to me, there has to be an answer to the question "why would I want to listen to this over the original".

My two examples for great covers are:

https://youtu.be/xyvFhrDzLfY (Johnny Cash covering "Personal Jesus")

https://youtu.be/LsvuipGq2ns (Peter Gabriel covering "Heroes")
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The "Band Covers" thread
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 10:33:33 AM »
The first example I thought of was Johnny Cash - Hurt, so I think we're on the same page.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:16:28 AM by Podaar »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 10:48:47 AM »
Fair assessment. My personal best examples are

"Summertime Blues" by The Who. Eddie Cochran's version is a product of it's time (as it all art). The Who brought it in to their generation (pardon the pun).

"Sloop John B" by The Beach Boys. Al Jardine recognized the potential to rework the song utilizing the band's vocal talents and Brian's mastery and composition.

"Ain't No Grave" by Johnny Cash. Same reasons can apply to "Hurt" and "Personal Jesus." This song gets the upper hand due to Undertaker's Wrestlemania 27 entrance.

Bottom line, they made the song their own, and took it "into a place it wasn't before."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 10:53:20 AM »
Metallica's "Turn the Page" is always the first song I think of when someone asks for a GREAT cover.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 10:53:45 AM »
Then Rush did a cover of Summertime blues with a bit of Hendrix mixed in, and they also did "The Seeker" by The Who. Very cool!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 10:59:19 AM »
Metallica's "Turn the Page" is always the first song I think of when someone asks for a GREAT cover.

Yea, Metallica do great covers, by and large.

I really like PoS' Hallelujah too, since, it's the only cover I've heard that incorporated the irony in the original and didn't just make it sad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 11:04:32 AM »
I've also LOOOOVE Transatlantic's cover medley of "I Need You" by America and The Beatles
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 11:14:22 AM »
Links, guys!!!

Yea, Metallica do great covers, by and large.

To the point where I even like their cover more than the original. E.g. "Stone Cold Crazy".

Offline Art

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 11:16:08 AM »
The best covers are Black Sabbath covers:

Ulver - Solitude
Pantera - Planet Caravan
Type O Negative - Black Sabbath

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 11:18:30 AM »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 11:31:22 AM »
Threshold - Supermassive Black Hole

Sikth - Tupelo

And since it was mentioned earlier, here's a link for Pain of Salvation - Hallelujah

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 11:32:12 AM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
Harry Nilsson, Without you. It became a classic after his version.

original : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPco24LS31A
Nilsson's version : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEd6Wkx_rCI (voice only)

Actually, the two versions are universes apart.

But, please, don't tell me about the Mariah Carey version because, IMO, it doesn't compare to Nilsson's at all.

B.Lee

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:59:47 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 11:54:14 AM »
Heard this at the Dallas show. Really made it their own and actually I like it better.

10 Years - Heart Shaped Box (Nirvana)
https://youtu.be/IEhGh-MjNZ8
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 12:44:21 PM »
While it isn't the most stellar cover, I also like when artists cover songs you would never imagine them to do so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRgod7teRk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 12:46:50 PM »
I disagree that a cover should "take the song somewhere else", and while I don't mind when a band "makes it their own", it's not necessary either.    A good cover, in my opinion, has to capture the essence of the song, whatever that is.

Metallica absolutely captured the loneliness and solitude - well, pack mentality - of being on tour with their version of "Turn The Page".   It's why I despise the Janis Joplin and don't really like the Dead versions of Me and Bobby McGee, arguably my favorite song of all time when done by Kris Kristofferson.   His version has that essence of loss and sadness and inevitability that the others don't.   MaBM is NOT a blues song; it's a COUNTRY song (and Kris even says this at the start of the original song: "If it sounds country man, that's what it is... it's a country song") and they're not coming from the same place.   Ace Frehley nailed the essence of "Do Ya" by ELO, in my opinion.   Disturbed nailed "Sounds of Silence"; Type O got "Cinnamon Girl". 

I think most Sabbath covers butcher the originals - Metallica excluded - because they think the essence is "heavy" and it's not.   

Offline T-ski

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 03:10:24 PM »
I've always love Queensryche's cover of "Scarborough Fair"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcwQlGjNqrs
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 03:12:08 PM »
We were playing covers at work a few years ago and I put on GnR's Sympathy for the Devil and 1 minute in my coworker unplugged my phone from the stereo which I thought was really rude but I still absolutely love that version of the song and prefer it to the original
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »
Machine Head - Hallowed Be Thy Name
Not better than original but damn good, if you ask me!
Crippled Black Phoenix - Of a Lifetime
I don't think it's different, I just like it more.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 03:36:09 PM »

But, please, don't tell me about the Mariah Carey version because, IMO, it doesn't compare to Nilsson's at all.

B.Lee

Um, what about this version?

https://youtu.be/FQt-h753jHI

Seriously though, I actually like the Mariah Carey version better.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 04:09:01 PM »
Joe Cocker's 'With A Little Help From My Friends' and 'She Came In Through The Bathroom Windows'

I hate Beatle covers.....except these two.

An old Alice Cooper 'I'm Always Chasing Rainbows', originally done in 1917 (Judy Garland's version is quite nostalgic)

Qryche's 'Scarborough Fair' ain't bad.

Metallica's cover of Queen's 'Stone Cold Crazy' (one of a handful of Queen covers I can stomach).  I was disappointed in DT's Sheer Heart Attack medley (actually thought Mike would do LVs on 'Tenement Funster'), but I still adore their cover of Rush's 'Tears'.

For fun....listen to Hayseed Dixie's covers of 'Fat Bottomed Girls' and 'BoRhap'.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:21:57 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 06:43:56 PM »
An old Alice Cooper 'I'm Always Chasing Rainbows', originally done in 1917 (Judy Garland's version is quite nostalgic)

One of my favorite Alice albums. I love his voice on that.

I was disappointed in DT's Sheer Heart Attack medley

Really? I think it's spectacular.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 10:59:42 PM »
Just off the top of my head:

Halestorm release a covers EP between every album and they tend to be very creative with their takes on the songs. Prime example is their cover of Get Lucky. Bad Romance is another good one.

Nevermore - The Sound Of Silence

Lacey Sturm - Roxanne (Live) (freaking amazing, from her Life Screams album)

Suppose I could also name Rage Against The Machine's - Renegades album. All covers and all done in their style.

Anthrax - Carry On Wayward Son - freaking awesome. Available digitally only as an add-on to the latest album but well worth it. My wife thought I was full of it when I told her it was Anthrax.

Faith No More's cover of War Pigs off The Real Thing.

Maiden United - Acoustic takes on Iron Maiden tracks and sung by Damian Wilson. They have 3 albums out there. Can't go wrong.

Damone - Wasted Years off of their Out Here All Night album. Was so skeptical but they nailed this thing. Totally different take on it.

That's a good start. I'm sure I have more but it's late and I'm tired.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 11:40:15 PM »
Just off the top of my head:

Halestorm release a covers EP between every album and they tend to be very creative with their takes on the songs. Prime example is their cover of Get Lucky. Bad Romance is another good one.

Oh yeah, good shout out about Halestorm.  They did a cover of Damn, I wish I was your Lover in their cover EP, this year and I really enjoyed that one in comparison to the original track (which had a 90s poppy vibe to it) whereas Halestorm had a great hard rock edge to it.

Johnny Cash's take on Hurt was just too damn powerful.  For the longest time, I didn't even realize it was originally made by NIN.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 01:51:55 AM »
I saw a mention for Disturbed’s The Sound of Silence, which is breathtaking, but their first great cover was actually Land of Confusion. Just a badass rendition of an awesome Genesis song.

Also, Guns N‘ Roses have a tendency to do a great job with covers. Their versions of Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door, Live and Let Die, and Sympathy for the Devil are great.

And of course, in my opinion, Metallica are the masters (pun intended) of covers. Am I Evil?, Stone Cold Crazy, So What?, Whiskey in the Jar, and Turn the Page have become classic Metallica songs despite being covers because the band did such an amazing job on them. Turn the Page in particular is as close to being a perfect cover as possible, with the band keeping the mood of the song intact while molding the arrangements to fit their sound and style.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 03:00:13 AM »

B.Lee

Um, what about this version?

https://youtu.be/FQt-h753jHI

Seriously though, I actually like the Mariah Carey version better.

OMFG!! What did I just see!!I blame you Rumby for having me lose some seconds of my life with that version of "Ken Lee"! :rollin :rollin :rollin
On a serious note, it's not that  the Mariah Carey version is not good, but Nilsson's has a special place in my heart.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 04:35:11 AM »
I just sent this in a Roulette. It's such a different take on Rush's Xanadu that I love it.  So full of energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3bB2IkBHiE
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2017, 05:55:15 AM »

Sinead o connor - nothing compares 2U ( A prince song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-EF60neguk

I went years thinking this was an original, but was pleasantly surprised to one day find out that it was a Prince song.