Author Topic: What is your favorite DT live album?  (Read 2887 times)

Offline hockeydude25

What is your favorite DT live album?
« on: December 06, 2017, 10:17:38 PM »
Mine would have to be Live at the Marquee.

Offline ChuckSteak

Re: What is your favorite DT live album?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:52:00 AM »
But that's not live!  ;D

Mine is Live Scenes.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:08:52 AM »
Live Scenes. Majestic setlist, excellent vibe in the band (Jordan just arrived, the whole enthusiasm for SFAM, etc) and a very unique and tasteful tone from James, he wasn't yet back at his full range but he worked around the difficulties very well. His vocalizing at the end of Though Her Eyes are wonderful, especially the final long note he holds.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evai

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 03:48:25 AM »
But that's not live!  ;D

Mine is Live Scenes.

I think we can count Marquee as live. Otherwise we'd have to disallow all the other ones with overdubs :p
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 06:00:18 AM »
Budokan, closely followed by Live Scenes from New York.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 06:08:48 AM »
Definitely Live Scenes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 06:10:25 AM »

Either of these, depending on what songs I'm in the mood for.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 07:22:35 AM »
Breaking the Fourth Wall, then Luna Park, then Budokan, then Score. Haven't really paid much attention to the rest of them.

Online pg1067

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 10:33:31 AM »
LSFNY for sure (although this is more of an endorsement of the DVD than the album by itself).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »
#1 for sentimental reasons is Score
#1 for Best looking DVD is Live at Budokan
#1 for setlist is probably Live at Luna Park
#1 for performance is Live Scenes From New York

There are so many good thing about each Live album/DVD... BTFW is great, LATM is great. I'd say the only ones I'm not wild about are the FII-era ones and Chaos in Motion
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 11:53:11 AM »
I really love Breaking the Forth Wall. It was a huge step in the right direction after Luna Park and really gave me confidence that they can do this without Portnoy. I listen to it very often. Fantastic setlist, perfect execution and great sound. Several songs sounds better here than their CD counterpart imo, specially Illumination Theory which is god damn 11/10 world class  :metal

Score is a close second basically based on the same criteria. I don't understand why they keep adding Spirit Carries On to live DVDs after Score, it was basically as perfect as it can ever be here. Also, this one has 6DOIT and 8V in the same setlist. That is just insane when you think about it! :hefdaddy

Live at Budokan is maybe the most entertaining one to watch. Looks fantastic and instrumentally everyone is on fire, but several songs have better versions on other live DVDs imo.

Luna Park is nice but sadly the audio makes it unlistenable for me. Maybe should give it a try again.

Live Scenes. Hrmmm I love Scenes From a Memory but somehow this live DVD doesn't do it for me. I tried several times but no song sounds better here than on CD for me and the DVD is a bit messy.

The rest is basically just some songs here and there.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 03:10:21 AM »
Score is pretty much the perfect live release. It has an amazing setlist, a high energy crowd, the band was on point, and James sounded better here than on any other live release besides LatM/LaT. The only downside is that the orchestra is a little off, but everything else is more than enough to make up for it.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Mladen

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 04:22:56 AM »
Yep, Score is easily my favorite as well. I'm only divided on the emphasis on Octavarium songs, since I don't like Sacrificed sons at all, and MAYBE there were several tracks on that album that could have been better choices instead of The Answer lies within. But regardless, it's a terrific release.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 05:28:03 AM »
 The Astonishing live at the Royal Albert Hall ! 
   hey, it doesn't hurt to dream..  :biggrin:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DTA

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 02:36:43 PM »
Once In A Livetime is my favorite. It was actually the first album of theirs I ever heard, and I played it obsessively until SFAM came out which sent me into a full-blown DT addiction.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 02:38:08 PM »
I actually like most of their live stuff. The only ones I don't like are the ADTOE tour one, and the SC tour one (forgot their names).

But if I had to pick one and only one, I'd go with Score. Despite the meh performance of 6DOIT.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 02:46:20 PM »
1. Score (nearly perfect)
2. Breaking the Fourth Wall (very good)
3. Live at Budokan (very good)
4. Live Scenes From New York (great)
5. Live at Luna Park (good, not great)
6. Once In A LIVEtime (not bad)
7. any other major release I've forgotten that isn't beneath this spot
8. Live at the Marquee (once I found out it was overdubbed, pretty much at the bottom)
9. Chaos In Motion (scratch that, this is just bad)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evai

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 03:28:25 PM »
For me, the Chaos In Motion CD is a lot better than the DVD. I really love how they extend songs like Surrounded to be really long, and do loads of cool stuff like change the intro of that song a lot. Dark Eternal Night has a ton of live energy, thanks to James and Mike competing for who can scream the lyrics the loudest. And of course the awesome shmedly at the end. None of that you could get on the standard albums... I'm tempted to call it my favourite live cd of theirs actually. :o
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 12:18:42 PM »
I'm hoping they do another holiday live release of a show from The Astonishing Live/I&W25 since they didn't do a DVD this time around. As far as my favorite goes, I'd say BTFW. If that doesn't count (since it was technically only the DVD/Blu Ray that was released, and not an official live album), I'd say probably Score. It's just too damn good.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 02:08:24 PM »

Exactly how I feel.

Offline Guitarjon

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 05:10:07 AM »
Good question, coincidentally I just made a similar poll on the fan facebook group.

My number one must be live at Budokan since the TOT period was special for me. I really loved that album and I got the chance to see them live in 2004 for the first time which made a huge impact on me at the time.
This show gives a good representation of that tour.
The video and sound quality is great and I enjoyed the extra features too.
I just decided to also buy the bluray yesterday so I'm excited to see and hear how much of a difference that will make.

Score is also pretty amazing.
Very cool setlist, sound quality and stellar performance.
I do agree that the orchestra is a little out of tune here and there but I can see why it happened and it doesn't bother me that much.

I also remember enjoying Life Scenes from New York quite a lot when that came out.
Must have watched it many times...
Too bad not the entire setlist is on that DVD though.

Chaos in motion isn't too bad, I remember enjoying it quite a bit when it came out.
The setlist is great for me too and I was at the show in Rotterdam from which some of the footage was taken.

Recently I picked up both the Luna Park and Breaking the fourth wall Blu-ray's and I really enjoyed those too.
The soundtrack of BTFW did bother me a little bit though.
Not sure why the mix isn't good....
I wonder if the mix engineer simply had badly recorded tracks to deal with, or perhaps made some choices I just don't gell with.

Anyway, it's hard not to enjoy any DT live release and I hope they do another one soon!

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 06:47:48 PM »
My favorite Live album from Dream Theater is Chaos In Motion!!!  I've waited a long time to find the deluxe edition and now I have it since a few months.  So the wait made it worthy for me :)  And I really like the fact that this is kind of a RARE live album from them (3 CD'S).

Since it's also their last live album with Mike Portnoy, this one has a special meaning for me.

I also feel fortunate to have the 15th anniversary performance CD of Images & Words (from the beginning of the Chaos In Motion Tour)....but that's another story :)

Tx

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 08:39:19 PM »
Once in a LIVEtime

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 01:20:01 PM »
From the MP era, Score.

From the MM era, BTFW.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 02:07:58 PM »
Budokan

Awesome setlist and it includes some cool versions of songs plus the instrumedley

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2017, 03:30:15 PM »
Budokan. The whole thing is gorgeous.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DT2003

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2017, 06:12:20 AM »
Score for me. I rarely listen to live albums more than once, but I have listened to Score a lot and many songs (Another Won, Raise the Knofe, 6DoIT, and Octavarium) I still listen to very often as I love this recording of them.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 06:29:11 AM »
Budokan, although it relies a bit too much on Train Of Thought for my taste (understandable though, since it's from that supporting tour).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2017, 04:23:15 PM »
Score is my favorite....but I have to say that I’ve been spinning LSFNY for the first time in probably 10 years. What an especially special show that is.

I feel like rewatching the video. I don’t think I’ve watched it since it was new.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DT1138

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2017, 06:50:34 PM »
Budokan, hands down.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2017, 07:29:33 PM »
Score is my favorite....but I have to say that I’ve been spinning LSFNY for the first time in probably 10 years. What an especially special show that is.

I feel like rewatching the video. I don’t think I’ve watched it since it was new.

I wish they had released the full show on the video version :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2017, 08:25:49 PM »

I wish they had released the full show on the video version :'(

I agree, it's almost the entire thing but I was pretty disappointed when I got home and popped in the DVD only to realize it's not the full release.

Online pg1067

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
I've been listening to Budokan over the past few days (first time in several years) and am very underwhelmed.  The set list is ok, but not great, and it's very sterile not very "live" sounding.  Note that I don't have the DVD, which I suppose could change my opinion.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2017, 02:48:27 PM »
As always I'm the guy to rep Bucharest. Great setlist and performance. After that Budokan and Live Scenes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 04:25:20 AM »
I like Score in particular for JLB performance, but my favourite is Scenes From NY.
ACOS live version is something gorgeous... :o