Author Topic: Such differing opinions on Awake....  (Read 22599 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Such differing opinions on Awake....
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2010, 09:34:54 AM »
I disagree about the keyboards on Awake.  I love the sound tones, the tenderness of the playing, everything.  That album is what made me a KM fan.  The sounds used are much warmer than I&W.  No, they're not in the forefront, but that's what I like.  They are atmospheric.  For me, that's how I like keyboards to be.  It adds that additional element to songs and really fills out the sound.  I seem to recall KM saying he didn't care for the Awake mix.  Not sure why or when he said that.  I can probably find it.

My fav keyboard moment on Awake is early on in "Voices" when it gets quiet and you just hear JLB and the piano.  mmm mmm mmm, that's good stuff.   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2010, 09:37:48 AM »
I agree, I've never found the keyboards off-putting in any way on Awake (and I am most certainly not a KM fanboi).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2010, 09:43:48 AM »
I disagree about the keyboards on Awake.  I love the sound tones, the tenderness of the playing, everything.  That album is what made me a KM fan.  The sounds used are much warmer than I&W.  No, they're not in the forefront, but that's what I like.  They are atmospheric.  For me, that's how I like keyboards to be.  It adds that additional element to songs and really fills out the sound.  I seem to recall KM saying he didn't care for the Awake mix.  Not sure why or when he said that.  I can probably find it.

My fav keyboard moment on Awake is early on in "Voices" when it gets quiet and you just hear JLB and the piano.  mmm mmm mmm, that's good stuff.   

I like a lot of it.  But there are spots here and there, like the keyboard lead patch in CIAW that I mentioned above, that are like nails on a chalkboard.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2010, 10:10:19 AM »
I agree, I've never found the keyboards off-putting in any way on Awake (and I am most certainly not a KM fanboi).

I agree with this.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline EVILPROGBOY

« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2017, 07:55:02 AM »

I agree with this.
Yes, the Keyboards on Awake are my favorite actually.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
Awake is my favorite DT album and by a wide margin.

I remember receiving an advance cassette copy of it from Atco when I was doing music reviews in my college newspaper.    My few DT fan friends gathered around a stereo and listened.  If I remember, the songs were not in the correct running order and "Scarred"  was omitted (just like the official cassette release).

I found it to be almost perfection.

If I have to find one song I am not 100% pleased with, it's "Innocence Faded."    I always joked that the intro to that song sounded like the theme song to a TV show like 90210    :-)

6:00 is the perfect opening.  Those toms just get to you.

I remember being on a bus with other music majors going to an opera in Manhattan . . . . One of our professors was a very very old Harpsichord player, relatively famous back in his day - at least for harpsichord players (R.I.P Dr. Cross).     I played him "Space Dye Vest"  and he was very impressed.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2017, 12:02:50 PM »
Holy thread resurrection, batman!

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2017, 09:43:33 PM »
Awake is #4 for me, behind Six Degrees, Train of Thought and Scenes From a Memory.  It's a great album, much better than the overrated Images and Words, in my opinion.  Awake is a dark album, and that's what I love about it.  It has a couple of "meh" songs, but stuff like Voices, Scarred and The Mirror are top tier Dream Theater.  The guitar tone and Labrie's voice are on point in this album.  Even the slowersongs are pretty good here.  Other than 6:00, there is not one song I don't like on this album.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2017, 08:32:47 AM »
One of their darker albums I like what the other poster have said about two characters writing the lyrics.

It seems Awake ended in despair "Space Dye Vest" and it is really a dark album.

And because of that I love how they included that in breaking the 4th wall, the hopelessness and darkness of Space Dye Vest was resolved by the "Illumination Theory" suite.

And she listens openly

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2017, 10:01:55 AM »
Based on the songs they've played from the Awake album on their last two DVDs, I should like this album.  From what I heard in the proshots, I liked 6:00, The Silent Man, The Mirror/Lie, Lifting Shadows off a Dream, and Space-Dye Vest.  Never gave the studio album a full listen.  I'll probably do that today.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2017, 10:12:08 AM »

I remember receiving an advance cassette copy of it from Atco when I was doing music reviews in my college newspaper.    My few DT fan friends gathered around a stereo and listened.  If I remember, the songs were not in the correct running order and "Scarred"  was omitted (just like the official cassette release).

If I have to find one song I am not 100% pleased with, it's "Innocence Faded."    I always joked that the intro to that song sounded like the theme song to a TV show like 90210    :-)

I remember being on a bus with other music majors going to an opera in Manhattan . . . . One of our professors was a very very old Harpsichord player, relatively famous back in his day - at least for harpsichord players (R.I.P Dr. Cross).     I played him "Space Dye Vest"  and he was very impressed.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2018, 03:35:18 AM »
Have they ever given an explanation why Scarred was left off the casette? Casette tapes can carry 90 minutes of music.

Offline Evai

« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2018, 05:14:31 AM »
They were 'scared' to put it on  :hat
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2018, 05:59:46 AM »
They were 'scared' to put it on  :hat

Don't be scared homie!! >:( :censored >:(
And she listens openly

Offline RJ86

« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2018, 06:15:52 PM »
Old thread, but I will throw in my two cents..

I was in my late teens when WDADU came out. Stumbled on it with the help of a guy at a Sam Goody. Loved it! A fresh new band to compete with FW Awaken The Guardian.
Then came images and words... It took time to grow on me. DT with a hair band singer, ugh. It almost seemed as if James' voice was strained and not up to the songs. Then came Awake.... This was a 10+ to me. The band was hitting on all cylinders and the songs were written for James. Perfection! It was/is their best. It was the Kiss Destroyer of Dream Theater, to me (My opinion, of course).

Of course, then came FII.. For another day  ;D

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2018, 07:00:23 PM »

Definitely agree about Innocence Faded although I never noticed the 90210 connection. Man, you're right.

Also not a fan of Lifting Shadows and am lukewarm about Scarred. Otherwise the album is flawless.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2018, 02:56:15 AM »
It's heavy, the sound is great and it's JLB's best studio performance IMO and it has my favorite DT song Scarred. Flawless album except for the intro to Innocence Faded indeed.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2018, 06:49:42 AM »

6:00 Is always my go-to song when I try out a new sound system.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2018, 10:16:22 PM »
It's definitely my favorite DT album.  :tup

Hearing it instrumentally recently confirms this for me too, it's got such a gritty 90s sound. Mix and everything is perfect too  :angel:
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2018, 02:25:37 PM »
Holy thread resurrection, batman!

See, it's awesome for "new fans" like me who missed a lot of these threads before.

I love Awake.  Innocent Faded and Lifting Shadows are my own 2 meh moments of the whole album. 

I also LOL'd in this thread how someone said SDV "won't ever be played live" and then they did a few years ago :)

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2018, 02:49:06 PM »
Warm summer evening, cruising around with the windows down, Innocence Faded blasting.......not perfect?
But the arc of your life will still be profound