Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, A REAL WINNER AT LAST!!!!  (Read 88201 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Break My Soul is Hybrid.
Hybrid seems like something Sacul might like.
I like their debut, but not enough to ban them so let that song in :P

+---+
 |    |
 O   |
      |
      |
      |
=======

?: Dark Rooms - I Get Overwhelmed
?: Maybeshewill - He Films The Clouds Pt.2
?: Hybrid - Break My Soul
?: _a_e _o_en - __ty ____
Parama: __er__ - The Tre_e
?: Eefje de Visser - S_hee_
?: _DE_ - Approaching Storms
?: Losers - _ha_nsa_
?: The Pineapple Thief - Tightly Wound
?: __as_os - Blurred
Evermind: John Cage - 4'33"

Guessed letters: A D O S N R E T Y G P H

Nekov waits 3 turns
Bolsters waits 2 turns
Parama waits 1 turn

Good news, half of writeups are done, I'll try make the rest soon, and hope results can be up in a few hours. But you know me, so that may mean tomorrow  :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Good news, half of writeups are done, I'll try make the rest soon, and hope results can be up in a few hours. But you know me, so that may mean March  :lol
Fixed that for you.  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
It's only the 27th in sacultown

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Writeups are done, time to have lunch and do the formatting etc. So, results...

:soon: :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon:
 :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon:
 :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon: :soon:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, SOON!!!
« Reply #1090 on: February 28, 2018, 08:56:13 AM »
when i was

a young boy

my father

took me into the city

to see the marching band

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #1091 on: February 28, 2018, 10:04:11 AM »
Some of these writeups came naturally to me, others I struggled to put my thoughts down, so sorry if they're not very helpful :lol
Kattoelox: Dark Rooms - I Get Overwhelmed
This track is conflicting - on the one hand, it's creative, blending symphonic and electronic sounds quite well plus other neat little sounds. On the other, I don't really like the lyrics nor the vocal style at all, they're just the dumb hipster stuff that's popular these days.

It's got a pretty interesting style overall, and hadn't I been annoyed by those things I mentioned, I certainly would have enjoyed this track a lot more. +3/5

home: Eefje de Visser - Scheef
Interesting track, I like the atmosphere set by the gentle, pulsing beat, and her gentle voice, plus those marimbas (I guess?) are a nice touch. There are some very nice harmonies here and the vibe's pretty nice, up my alley almost, reminds me a bit of Alt-J's last record.

However, I think my main grip with the track is how busy it feels for the most part, she barely having a break for the most part, thus making it difficult to me to identify what the different sections of the track are. So it's great when the last two mins are some instrumental bliss, I really like those synths.

On a side note, at first the foreign singing bothered me a bit but quickly got used to it, I wonder what the lyrics are about. 3.5/5

Train of Naught: IDEK - Approaching Storms
Before I forget, if you meet the band, would you ask him to kick their mastering engineer in the ass? This is way too compressed, which is sad since it sounds well recorded and mixed, and that's a waste of their money.

So to the song, it certainly has strong BTBAM vibes, with the clean/harsh vocal style, the quirky and funny sections, but really lacking that strong unique sound and variety. Sure there's a solid songwriting here, it's not too derivative, and gladly don't fall into some prog self-indulgence, so there's hope the band will go places in the future if they manage to carve a style more of their own. I can definitely feel why you're into them tho. 3.5/5

kingshmegland: The Pineapple Thief - Tightly Wound
I've listened to some songs by these guys here and there, and although I get the "Porcupine Tree copycats" vibes from their first records, this song feels pretty much a product of their own. The mood at the beginning almost seem to hint that this will be a Halloween-themed track but seems it isn't. Vocals have a style somehow reminding me of Gorillaz, but they also feel lazy, and the guitars have this peculiar sound to them, I like them. The chorus is the weakest part of the track tho, melodies are pretty bland, and breaks the mood. I like the instrumental ending, it's a surprising and pleasant change.

So, all in all, it's... ok, I think? Like, this doesn't do much to me, and I feel they might have better tracks. 3.5/5

Parama: Cleric - The Treme
Oh boy, this song was such a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, there are lots of very cool and creative ideas up my alley, like the spoken samples on the background, some of the jazzy drumming at times, vocals are interesting and add up much to the song, even the djent-ish riffs were pretty cool, and the variety on this track is great, I dig the use of piano overall. Then there's this amazing section that begins at 6:30, damn.

On the other hand, this song just feels too random for no good reason, and while I don't mind that approach as long as every part, every idea is good at least, half of those here just are bland, too dissonant, or completely breaking the mood, like the ending, which is very anticlimatic, making the last minute of the track quite a waste of time and not a proper resolution to the great section I mentioned before.

Yet all in all, I enjoyed it more than I was really expecting to. +3.5/5

ariich: Kiasmos - Blurred
I think it's a little obvious I've been digging lots of chill music lately, and my favorite roulette tracks usually are on the softer side. That means I've taken my time to explore and understand what I enjoy in this stuff, but I'm also open to more things. Take for instance this track, starts with some nice electronic beats along with simple piano chords, slowly building up with the synths and the strings... just to not reach any sort of climax, which is a bummer. It repeats this approach again without the beat, and it's odd because using the same ideas for a building on what sounds like a sort of bridge feels weird to me.

But not everything is lost, there's a very nice atmosphere here and despite its shortcomings, it's quite a relistenable track, possibly making for some nice background music. Olafur Arnalds is a guy I need to explore yet (really liked his collaboration with Nils Frahm), so this was an interesting entry into one of his, I think, multiple facets. +3.5/5

Elite: Losers - Chainsaw
For being a "random song", this is actually pretty decent. Heavy, catchy, highly digitalized industrial guitars and drums, almost like Pendulum but heavier and less electronic. Vocals feel closer to alternative rock than what's typical on this genre, and that's refreshing. Style has lots of energy and somehow reminds me of 2000s NIN instead of their 90s output, that's cool. Also appreciated is the use of real, dynamic drums instead of some lame drum machine.

And since it's a short and simple song, there's not much more to say about it - I like it quite a bit. 4/5

Tomislav95: Maybeshewill - He Films The Clouds Pt.2
I think I've heard some other tracks from these guys that just felt like boring, generic post-rock. So this is a pleasant surprise when the electronic beat kicks in, and it's not some generic preset, it actually fits the piano quite well. Although the first half of the track is a buildup, it does so in a very interesting way, but it's the second half of the song that really grabs me. The harmonies are simply wonderful, and the last buildup is well done, feels with more impact than it if were only the guitars throughout the whole track like many crescendocore bands do. Melodies overall feel a little soundtrack-ish but I don't mind, the songwriting is varied and although a bit all over the place, it works. This track feels like a little journey. +4/5

Bolsters: Hybrid - Break My Soul
I like Hybrid's debut, If I Survive being my favorite track, but it's a very consistent record so the band wasn't banned. This song however, is something different. Breakbeat electronics, many synths, strong female vocals, and symphonic elements. I like how it's structured, with a nice breakdown in the middle, separating these huge, bombastic choruses. It certainly has a very interesting, modern vibe that seems to be more aligned with my current tastes. +4/5

Nekov: Jake Bowen - City 1816
I really like the piano on this track, somehow those simple melodies make me feel nostalgic, maybe they remind me of C148's wonderful Minecraft soundtrack somehow (got into the game back when it was Alpha, wtf I feel old). The electronic beats are simple and pleasing, I like how the track goes places and doesn't just loop them with little variation. Synths have this nice chiptune sound to them, and the multiple layers of effects and pads work pretty well. Overall I'd say it's a chill track, almost feels like the soundtrack to a game (vibe reminds me of 0edit's Neotokyo OST). Yeah it's a nice little song but one that falls into what I've been digging lately so props for that. +4/5

Evermind: John Cage - 4'33"
I was about to give you a 5/5 for this masterpiece, but since you dropped off this roulette, a pink star should suffice.

Positions
Bolsters 30.5
Nekov 30.5
ariich 30
Elite 30
kingshmegland +29
tomislav95 +29
Train of Naught 28.5
Parama 28
home 27.5
Katteolox 27

Seems ariich has finally lost the lead! And there's three ties, damn :lol . Hope next round helps define who enters the EP round. And speaking of next round, time to send! Most of you still haven't used your up-to-18-mins song, so feel free to make this the unofficial epic round :P
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:08:02 PM by Sacul »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
4,33/5

The festival was last weekend brah, won't see them for another month but I don't hear the mastering issues :(. The singer is a huge BTBAM fan so that's probably where the influence is coming from
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
A friend of mine showed me the Dark Rooms song a few weeks ago and I hated it, so I thought you'd love it.  :lol I'm literally out of ideas for what you may like now, so brace yourself. Hopefully you at least don't hate the last couple tracks I send.  I'm sending you an epic this time. :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Better than I expected tbh

Anyways you said 18 minutes is the max, not 15, so  :corn

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Time for me to send you some long song then :D
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
C

R

A

P

Alright.  Onto the next song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, I wasn't expecting to do that good. I'm on vacation and not near my computer but I'll try to send something you soon

Offline Tomislav95

I kinda expected it :azn:
Will send later today.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
4,33/5

The festival was last weekend brah, won't see them for another month but I don't hear the mastering issues :( . The singer is a huge BTBAM fan so that's probably where the influence is coming from
It's noticeable since the mix seems well done that the instruments lack much impact, mostly the drums. Listen to this, and compare it to this. It's easy to hear which sounds better and is less compressed :P

A friend of mine showed me the Dark Rooms song a few weeks ago and I hated it, so I thought you'd love it.  :lol
That might still be a good strategy :lol

Anyways you said 18 minutes is the max, not 15, so  :corn
Fixed.

Got 3 entries so far  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
 :metal S :metal E :metal N :metal T :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Quote from: Sacul link=topic=51385.msg2411091#msg2411091
A friend of mine showed me the Dark Rooms song a few weeks ago and I hated it, so I thought you'd love it.  :lol
That might still be a good strategy :lol
Man no wonder I'm doing so poorly, I only enter good music

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Sorry for the delay, my wife gave birth on Monday, so I've been, er, somewhat preoccupied!

I'll try to choose something in the next day or so if I can find the time and mental capacity!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Sorry for the delay, my wife gave birth on Monday, so I've been, er, somewhat preoccupied!

I'll try to choose something in the next day or so if I can find the time and mental capacity!

Congrats ariich!!  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
my wife gave birth on Monday
Amazing! Who is the father?

Congrats! :angel:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
my wife gave birth on Monday
Amazing! Who is the father?
Scar and that baby will be called Angela  :metal

Don't worry man, take your time, I can always use The Grand Conjuration as your entry if you're too busy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Congrats Rich!!!

Song sent.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just missing on Elite and home, would like to have your entries by tomorrow :P

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Congrats Rich!!!

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Re: RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #1112 on: March 03, 2018, 01:23:54 AM »
On a side note, at first the foreign singing bothered me a bit but quickly got used to it, I wonder what the lyrics are about. 3.5/5
Heey, I'm not exactly 100% sure what her lyrics are about as she writes in a kind of free/poetic way, using the (north) sea as a metaphor in most of the album. In this song ithe sea is a kind of safe haven where she submerges to find silence from both the busy world around her and herself and at the end of the song she slowly resurfaces.

I'll send shortly :azn
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
found ariich's song
:tup

And thanks everyone, it's pretty exhausting so far but I think it's going well on the whole -  he seems to be healthy. :)

Anyway, sent!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Glad to hear that!  :tup

Only waiting for our dogbird fella to send  :corn

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
It's a he? Seems soon enough you won't be the only one sexing people later

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Glad to hear that!  :tup

Only waiting for our dogbird fella to send  :corn
So I wasn't even last to send?

Awesome. :ariich:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i'm pretty sure elite sends last on purpose because in doing so he wins roulettes or something

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
HANGAHMMGEMNGEMNNN
« Reply #1118 on: March 04, 2018, 02:23:21 PM »
Wished I had the same luck  :cow: . Anyways, what you've all been waiting for!  :metal

?: ________ ____ - ___ ______ ______
?: _____ ____ - _______
?: ______ ____ - _____ _____
?: ___ _______ - _____ __ ___ ________ ____?
?: _____ - ___
?: ____ - ______ ____ ___
?: ____ - ____ ___ ___
?: _________ - _______ ___
?: ____ ___ - ___ ___ ____ __ ___ ___ ____ _____
?: ______ _______ - ________'_ ____

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
A!

I be am boner inducing.