Author Topic: Sacul's controversial roulette v3. Less frustration™️, A REAL WINNER AT LAST!!!!  (Read 87111 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
RESULTS
« Reply #597 on: January 04, 2018, 07:11:20 PM »
Sorry for the delay folks, fell ill and real life stuff slowed me down, plus yesterday I realized I hadn't listened to what Trainy and Luoto had sent me, but here they are, results! (Also went back and fixed the total scores, seems I fucked up on previous round).

Luoto: Amendfoil - Blackleg
I don't know, I guess it's solid progressive metal with a pretty heavy sound, sometimes reminding me of Strapping Young Lad and maybe Mastodon? It's an ok song for the most part. The chorus is nice, although it feels a like it belong to a power metal song. I just feel I've heard this style done a lot of times before, and I am not really looking forward to anything similar as I'm not a big fan of it. 3/5

Parama: The Receiving End of Sirens - The Salesman, The Husband, The Lover
So this is the band the guy from TDH was in before TDH? Nice. For some reason it kinda reminds me of Brand New in some melodies. It feels it's one of those songs that although I could point out how strong the songwriting is, it doesn't resonate much with me - post-hardcore stuff is very hit and miss with me, mostly the latter. I don't find any of the melodies engaging, and I don't care about the vocals at all. So it's just ok to me. 3/5

Kattoelox: Silversun Pickups - Growing Old Is Getting Old
I'm not a fan of the guy's voice, so I'm glad it's kind of processed and muddy, not too upfront in the mix. This track has a nice atmosphere, and there's a cool build-up, yeah, but... I don't really find any of this particularly creative - I feel I've heard this approach many times before, and done better. And the band doesn't have a very strong personality either. Yeah I know, I'm very picky with my atmospheric music :lol . I just love it and have explored a lot of it, but there's still more to discover, so I'm open to that. 3.5/5

home: La Dispute - King Park
My biggest grip with this track is not the singer's voice in particular, but his performance, feeling very one-dimensional - he's probably emotionally touched by the story he's singing, but dude, it gets really annoying when he sounds almost the same through most of the song, and he has a big presence on this song. So I think this would have benefited from cutting some vocals lines and trimming on the lyrics a bit. The instrumentation is pretty solid, and the climax of the song is great, but by that point, his vocals don't leave as much impact as they should have. 3.5/5

kingshmegland: Frost* - Dear Dead Days
This is definitely more interesting than the other Frost* tracks I received in previous roulettes. Somehow it reminds me of Haken (circa Aquarius) in some of the vocal melodies, mostly the chorus. I really like those synths, the sound is just wonderful. The guitars are great, although sometimes they can be a little cheesy. But overall, I'm still not sold on this for some reason, vocals feel overwhelming when they're present. +3.5/5

Bolsters: HAIM - Falling
In a way I am reminded of the Taylor Swift track you send before, but with more personality and better structure. It's catchy and has a pretty nice vibe. And I don't know, maybe it feels a little too sugar-ish to me, or it's quite busy, the instrumentation rarely having a spot for itself. Vocals are interesting, I'll give it that. Yet I don't have much to say, it's an enjoyable pop song, kind of a summer one, but just that. I got a little tired of it after many listens. +3.5/5

Tomislav95: Okkervil River - For Real
I'll admit this song has grown quite a bit on me - I was really not into it for most listens. It kinda reminds me of Brand New a bit on the melodies. I'm not big on the singer tho, dunno if it's his voice or the delivery, trying to sound miserable. Instrumentation has these lovely guitars and nice vibe overall. Felt a bit like typical Indie Rock but I've come to really feel these guys got a bit of a particular sound and the songwriting is strong, particularly the chorus. 4/5

Elite: Loreena McKennitt - Kecharitomene
Although it feels more as the soundtrack to some great Celtic setting, maybe a movie, it's a great piece. Calm, with some great intense moments, mostly the climax of it. I really like Celtic Folk so this was a smart choice. 4/5

Train of Naught: Ivar Bjornsson & Einar Selvik's Skuggsja - Skuggsja
I like the intro, and all of the Nordic Folk melodies and instruments here. I like the many vocal harmonies leading to this great buildup. It's grandiose and epic, I like it quite a bit. Sorry for the short writeup, haven't had much time to deeply think about this track, but know it was great. 4/5

Evermind: The Wishing Tree - Falling
Well this is definitely different from the little Marillion I've listened to. At first I wasn't too interested on this track, felt a bit cheesy and kinda like a standard ballad, but it has grown on me. There are many cool ideas, like the subtle electronics, the guitar solo, the breakdowns, etc. It's a pretty chill, nice track, and been digging calmer stuff as of late so this is a good direction. 4/5

Nekov: AU4 - Everyone is everyone (and Everything is everything)
On the first listens, this seemed like the strongest song of the round. I like the beginning, it's a little weird with the fast distant vocals and the soft strings. Around the second minute, the electronic beats kick in and the singer tries a softer approach, kinda reminding me of Massive Attack's 100th Window - not complaining, it's a great album. Then, the electric guitars kick in and I'm really enjoying it, I like that digital sound. Vocals are interesting, sung in a style reminiscing of nu metal, but somehow they work. The trumpet definitely adds to the atmosphere. After the climax, there's this very cool section that recalls the beginning of the song but feels a bit different now, and has some great synths. 4.5/5

ariich: Bizali - Lucile
From the first listen I knew this would be up my alley - lots of funky melodies, vocals so full of energy, strong instrumentation, etc. I don't have much to say, this is just quite a bit of fun to listen to and feels fresh and with personality. It's a shame they're so obscure, because this track was great. 4.5/5

Positions
ariich 13
Elite 12
kingshmegland +11.5
Evermind +11.5
Nekov 11.5
tomislav95 11.5
Parama 11
Katteolox 11
Bolsters 11
Train of Naught +10.5
home +10.5
Luoto 10.5

Solid round, fellas, strongest one so far, and it's still anyone's game - ariich's luck may not last forever. You've got 48 hours to send from now on, looking forward to your entries.

By the way, would you guys be interested in a short playlist of songs I've been digging lately? Just as a guide of where my tastes currently are :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
falling x falling

i'm just gonna send some random crap i don't get your tastes

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think your safest bet would be sending some modern classical or the like :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
The trick is to send Zantera/Sacul music
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Yes! Thought you'd dig it, glad you did!

The pressure is on now to keep finding music that you like so much.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Not bad :corn next song coming up shortly

You might like that Skuggsja album but you probably won't, there's a lot of black metal vocals :lol they are working on a new project though and it seems more in line with Wardruna a.k.a. ambient folkish stuff
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice. I like that album becuase of it's variety, it explores different musical styles and atmospheres but is able to maintain a line all throughout. I know what band I'm sending next, I just need to figure out which song.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Sweating bullets over here trying to find something Sacul actually likes. Shit.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
 :lol Talk about being literal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Blood stains on my hands, and I don't know what I've sent

I'll send something this evening  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Tomislav95

Sent.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Hey Sacul, I'm thinking of sending a 15-minutes long song but there's like 90 seconds of silence in the middle. Do you think that'll work or not? :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sent. I predict I'll be ranked lowest.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Sent!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
The singer adding his voice too much is actually something I agree with, generally speaking about their music, but it's not something that bothers me in King Park.

Also, sent!
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
You might like that Skuggsja album but you probably won't, there's a lot of black metal vocals :lol they are working on a new project though and it seems more in line with Wardruna a.k.a. ambient folkish stuff
I guess I'll give it a try anyway  :P . Nice, I'll keep an eye on them.

Nice. I like that album becuase of it's variety, it explores different musical styles and atmospheres but is able to maintain a line all throughout.
Looking forward to listening to it  :metal

Hey Sacul, I'm thinking of sending a 15-minutes long song but there's like 90 seconds of silence in the middle. Do you think that'll work or not? :lol
Uuuhhh sure it's a single song and not a tune with a bonus track or something?  :lol

Got 8 entries so far, waiting on Elite, Luoto, ariich, and Evermind - hurry up fellas, we need hangmanen  :corn

Online Luoto

• Wandering midget
Will send within a few hours :)
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, fairly sure it's the same song, there are recurring vocal melodies and all.

In fact, screw it, I'm sending it! This is the roulette where I send all the improbable stuff, so here you go, 15-minutes-long song full of rapping vocals.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Sent!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, fairly sure it's the same song, there are recurring vocal melodies and all.

In fact, screw it, I'm sending it! This is the roulette where I send all the improbable stuff, so here you go, 15-minutes-long song full of rapping vocals.

I want to hear this actually, sounds really interesting. Only 'long' rap song I've ever heard is Kendrick's Mortal Man and it's amazing

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

I want to hear this actually, sounds really interesting. Only 'long' rap song I've ever heard is Kendrick's Mortal Man and it's amazing

Added you to my PM to Sacul.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
15 minute song of beat boxing.  Now that would be something.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Still waiting for your submission tho  :corn

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
FTFY bro

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
The trick is to send Zantera/Sacul love gifts and bribes.
FTFY bro

FTFY my brotha from anotha.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Start hangmanen without elite tbh
Also start listening to the songs if he's slow to send he gets less listens it's that simple  :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Specifically, keep listening to mine until you like it.  :biggrin:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Just discount half a point for each day he's late...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Y'all really do need to hold people accountable for sending late though, otherwise they'll never learn & keep doing it

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Elite, more like... elate  :hat

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
So you're taking two weeks to post results and then when I'm busy for a couple of days I get berated for slacking? :(

Sent.
Squ

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Elite, more like... elate.  AMIRITE?

FTFY :lol