1 (7.7%)
Music nerd with German music fetish - Parama
1 (7.7%)
Old man with passion for deathmetal vocals - TAC
2 (15.4%)
Train of Naught
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. THE END.... OR IS IT?  (Read 56560 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. ROUND 0 ON THE WAY
« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2017, 03:30:43 PM »
Testament  :2metal:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #141 on: December 10, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »
Top 3? I can live with that  ;D

Now to find something for round 1. Do I dare take a chance on a genre that it doesn't appear you listen to very much? Or play it safe?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2017, 03:59:41 PM »
time for train to reveal the secret round winner that was my song

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #144 on: December 10, 2017, 04:02:20 PM »
Not surprised.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #145 on: December 10, 2017, 04:48:31 PM »
Phew...I was sweating there... I'll send the next round in the coming day, glad you enjoyed it. There are a few tracks on that album that are a bit better, but I felt that one was more of a starter.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2017, 12:14:11 AM »
Don't worry guys I'll put you all out of your misery today (probably in around 6 or 7 hours)

BTW you can start sending if you're through already, deadline is end of Wednesday (GMT+1)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:45:00 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #148 on: December 11, 2017, 12:56:29 AM »
Can I send already?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #149 on: December 11, 2017, 04:27:26 AM »
Class was dismissed early because of the emergency weather (code orange I believe) so I'll do one right now and do all the others in an hour or something.

Now this one was kind of a grower, but when it really hit me was yesterday when it was snowing really hard outside and I was kind of getting in the Christmas mood. Not to say that I like Christmas songs (at all), but this one had a really nice jolly touch to it that I dug a lot near the end. Overall, the vocals had an enjoyable broken kind of feel to it, and it worked really well in combination with the joyful chants. Really looking forward to checking out this album after hearing quite a lot of talk about it.

Elite, yes you can send already. Wake Up made it through. :corn

1. The Family Crest - Beneath the Brine
2. Kaddisfly - campfire
3. In Mourning - Ashen Crown
4. Fjokra - Slyrex
5. Crippled Black Phoenix - Scared and Alone
6. Rainbow - Stargazer
7. Arcade Fire - Wake Up
8. Constantine - Collective Harmony
9. This Day & Age - More of a Climb, Less of a Walk
10. Jack the Joker - Volte Face

2 more spots to fill for round 1 :) and 4 people I unfortunately have to let go. Will Parama be right in predicting a secret round winner and if so, is it his song? Will jingle.boy change his mind and actually be surprised? Will Evermind get bonus points because the artist from his song is from the same country as me? Find out in an hour!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. RESULTS
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2017, 05:30:33 AM »
Time to finallize things.

This was the song I spoke of that had left a really strong first impression on me but slowly was buried under the growing quality of the other songs this round. The problem I have with this song for starters, is there's essentially this cool symphonic intro which doesn't feel like it has any connection whatsoever to the meat of the song. The 'meat' being some really cool Converge-like riffing with vocals that sound quite similar to Converge and even Hypno5e a bit, but don't strike me as the same level of emotion or intensity. Then the last 100 seconds or something don't just sound like a weird connection, it sounds like a new song entirely. I don't get it. The longer Converge songs like Eve, Jane Doe and The Dusk in Us all have really subtle transitions and buildups but I did not feel that here. All the same, this song did leave a really strong impression on me at first and there's still enough redeeming qualities to it to make it pass on to the next round.

You dodged a bullet here Sacul, but you're through. Tannhauser / Derive is safe, send me music

This next one is pretty much the opposite of Sacul's song. After the first round I was completely ready to kick you out. I didn't really get why you would send this to me, it struck me as some mid-tier funk with rock elements and didn't really look into it much. That "We are the cycle that begins" line really grew on me and slowly but surely I started making connections between this and some of the more mellow Baroness stuff and suddenly started liking it more. I guess most of the reason I don't really find myself listening to funk is because a lot of it is just happy go lucky music with not much emotional dept (my interpretation) but this has some more sad and even kind of haunting tones to it. The second half can get pretty intense.

Not one of your strongest songs in my roulettes but still solid, you're in Parama. The Cycle / The Spiral: Time to go Down Slowly is.. good.

This song felt so extremely busy, not a single breathing moment. It is crazy for sure, but to me it’s not crazy in an intriguing way. It got a little better over time but overall I still felt the same unfortunately, so this was a miss. I love some of the Brann-vocal-fronted songs of Mastodon, such as The Motherload and Steambreather, but I feel like those have way more ‘space’ between vocals and instrumentals. Truth be told, I never thought any of the Mastodon guys had great vocals, but with the music of Mastodon it just works so damn well, and I guess for me that is not the case with Brann’s voice in Arcadea. So you can already guess my favourite moment of this song was when he sings "Ocean alive" or something along those lines and the music gets a little quieter and more focused on that one synth. I quite liked that.

Not top 12 material unfortunately, sorry to be kicking you out in the preliminaries the first time you've ever participated in one of my roulettes Nekov, Arcadea does not do nearly as much for me as Mastodon it seems, even though Brann Dailor is one of my favourite artists.

I cannot say much about this song, it just never resonated with me at all. I dig when ballads can connect me to the lyrics and make me feel the same way the artist does, but here that just was not the case. I already figured that if there was any overlapping ground between our tastes it would probably be more likely to be heavier stuff.

Jingle.boy, time to pack. :( I wish I could keep you in longer but this was just not a match, if it's any consolation (but maybe a bit ironic seeing the results) I think you're probably the most fun when it comes to talking shit about other people.

Now this one I really struggled with. It had good moments, very good even, but most of my enjoyment was ruined by that extremely present on the forefront dub sound. That just does not appeal to me at all. I dug the more atmospheric tones of the synths and piano in the background and the buildup at the end also, which even got pretty intense near the end. So basically, a lot of potential for good instrumental music, but that dub sound hurt your ranking enough to fall in the bottom four.

Sorry Evermind, you're out. This song wasn't quite up to par with the others.

Next up we have a song that by assessing my tastes I should probably like alright, but somehow apart from a few moments I just don't. The pre-chorus has good melodies and is pretty good. But for most of the song they just lose me with both the lyrics and the vocals themselves, it's just too much. I'm not the biggest traditional heavy metal fan as it stands, and there are exceptions to the rule, but this isn't one of them. Tomislav knows this from my Ensiferum write-up of the last roulette, but I really can't stand those "Hey Hey Hey" chants, that's one of my pet peeves. :-\

Bolsters, you're out. :( Shut Up and Rock did not live up to similar songs you've sent in the past like Kingdom of Rock or Feed the Fire.

Final round 0 ranking:

1. The Family Crest - Beneath the Brine
2. Kaddisfly - campfire
3. In Mourning - Ashen Crown
4. Fjokra - Slyrex
5. Crippled Black Phoenix - Scared and Alone
6. Rainbow - Stargazer
7. Arcade Fire - Wake Up
8. Constantine - Collective Harmony
9. Algiers - The Cycle / The Spiral: Time to go Down Slowly
10. This Day & Age - More of a Climb, Less of a Walk
11. Jack the Joker - Volte Face
12. Refused - Tannhauser / Derive

13. Easily Embarassed - Time Holes
14. Arcadea - Rings of Saturn
15. Blessed By a Broken Heart - Shut Up and Rock
16. The Tragically Hip - Scared

Top 12, you're in. Send me a song within the following days (deadline Wednesday) of max. 9 minutes. Got 2 songs in already, 10 to go. From this point on it is 1 elimination per round so I am going to do writeups until we have 2 people left and then have a final showdown with the bottom two song writeups at the same time (it will always be the worst two of the round unless otherwise stated).

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. RESULTS, SEND FOR ROUND 1
« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2017, 05:32:58 AM »
Yeah that is surprising. :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2017, 05:49:17 AM »
Well, it was good while it lasted (?)
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2017, 05:50:17 AM »
Wooo  :metal
Yes, I kind of figured The Family Crest would be a pretty safe choice, but yeah I think you might really enjoy their album Beneath The Brine, it has quite some amazing tracks, like howls. Here is a pretty rad execution of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsnW0bOupl4
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2017, 05:51:25 AM »
Well, at least I'm in good company.  I knew we have very little in common, so thought I'd send things that were different than anything else to see what might stick.  Swing and a miss right out of the gate - can't say I'm all that surprised.... and I'm sure you aren't either.

No soup for me.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2017, 06:53:12 AM »
Wooo  :metal
Yes, I kind of figured The Family Crest would be a pretty safe choice, but yeah I think you might really enjoy their album Beneath The Brine, it has quite some amazing tracks, like howls. Here is a pretty rad execution of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsnW0bOupl4
I actually checked out the Audiotree version of the title track before posting the writeup and it was really well executed. Still liked the studio version better though. Listening to the album now and yeah, Howls is indeed the other standout so far. Something else that's interesting is they actually sound way more like The Reign of Kindo than the band that was submitted to me that had 4 current Reign of Kindo members in it (This Day & Age) :lol.

Well, at least I'm in good company.  I knew we have very little in common, so thought I'd send things that were different than anything else to see what might stick.  Swing and a miss right out of the gate - can't say I'm all that surprised.... and I'm sure you aren't either.

No soup for me.
After my miserable fail in your first roulette round years ago, definitely not. You compared my song to an STD :lol :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #157 on: December 11, 2017, 06:53:58 AM »
I will send tonight good sir!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: December 11, 2017, 06:59:13 AM »
After my miserable fail in your first roulette round years ago, definitely not. You compared my song to an STD :lol :metal

Wow, that's harsh... and so un-Canadian :lol.  I assume I made the comment of it being 'catchy - but so is chlamydia'?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #159 on: December 11, 2017, 07:08:16 AM »
Exactly :lol the song was Witchcraft by Pendulum. I still tell people about this burn when I'm playing Pendulum or talking about them, it made me laugh so hard

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2017, 08:09:11 AM »
Exactly :lol the song was Witchcraft by Pendulum. I still tell people about this burn when I'm playing Pendulum or talking about them, it made me laugh so hard

Well, I'm glad you were a good sport about it!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2017, 08:18:11 AM »
Revenge is a dish best served cold :corn
And sent.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2017, 08:32:30 AM »

Just like chlamydia!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2017, 08:33:18 AM »

Just like chlamydia!

I like catching my chlamydia warm.......
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2017, 08:40:04 AM »
algiers has nothing to do with funk but okay  :corn
i have nothing picked out for other rounds so i'll try to find something tonight & get cut

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2017, 08:46:19 AM »
Fair enough, I didn't really expect you to like that song. Time to send the same band to Sacul!

Just like chlamydia!

I laughed way too much at this. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2017, 09:14:59 AM »
And sent...went with a short track in hopes that it'll be over before you decide it sucks...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2017, 09:16:41 AM »
And sent...went with a short track in hopes that it'll be over before you decide it sucks...

That's the approach TAC takes with sex!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2017, 12:53:50 PM »

At least I can last until the next round.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: December 11, 2017, 12:56:29 PM »
savage  :rollin

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2017, 01:00:34 PM »

At least I can last until the next round.

I TOLD YOU ABOUT MY CONDITION IN CONFIDENCE!!!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2017, 01:15:46 PM »
algiers has nothing to do with funk but okay  :corn
Fine, soul ::)

Got half the submissions in which included the first ever in Train roulette recorded history: BING SUBMISSION. Yes! I got a link which was the title of the song (not the band) searched with the bing search engine. :rollin

Luckily they also provided the band name in the PM but that's a first for me, goes to show you've never experienced it all unless you host at least 3 roulettes.

I was thinking of doing one of those games based on Luke's brilliant idea to post vocal snippets of him singing parts of the submissions and you try to guess which songs they are. Would you guys prefer me to do it for this round or the next so you can anticipate it by sending me something that'll sound extremely stupid when I try to sing it? Up to you guys, democrat style.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2017, 01:21:16 PM »
Got half the submissions in which included the first ever in Train roulette recorded history: BING SUBMISSION. 

Did J Boy presend you Bing Crosby?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: December 11, 2017, 01:23:19 PM »
Gonna take a wild guess that the bing submission was Stadler and this is absolutely not based on his participation in my roulette in any way  :corn

If youre gonna do singing I should send some throat shredding black metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: December 11, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »
Got half the submissions in which included the first ever in Train roulette recorded history: BING SUBMISSION. Yes! I got a link which was the title of the song (not the band) searched with the bing search engine. :rollin

Luckily they also provided the band name in the PM but that's a first for me, goes to show you've never experienced it all unless you host at least 3 roulettes.
I got the same kind of submission  :lol