1 (7.7%)
Music nerd with German music fetish - Parama
1 (7.7%)
Old man with passion for deathmetal vocals - TAC
2 (15.4%)
Train of Naught
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. THE END.... OR IS IT?  (Read 56554 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. ROUND 0 ON THE WAY
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2017, 06:15:16 AM »
Cool, so I guess I'm safe then...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2017, 06:18:11 AM »
Cool, so I guess I'm safe then...

I'm confident in my song as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. ROUND 0 LISTENING
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2017, 06:53:49 AM »
Here's the deal: I'm on my third spin and I'm already sure of a couple that have made it through, some have grown quite a bit and others have become a bit worse over the continuous listens, so I'll be revealing some of the songs that are certainly safe throughout the weekend, and then do eliminations on Monday when there are about 7 songs left.

Actually gonna start locking in the first spot of round 1 of the roulette right now.

This song was actually the one I remembered least from after the first listen and I have no clue why because I did enjoy it. Admittedly, the lyrics were a bit awkward to me at first but I grew to like the song a lot as the kind of sexy/funky vibe accompany the lyrics quite well. But the melodies are groovy as fuck and that's what I like most about it, so laid back yet energetic in a way. The song ends on a very euphoric note, almost in a shoegazey way but not quite. No, you are not in the bottom 4 :lol. There's 2 or 3 songs I liked better this round, but this one was still very good, extremely catchy.

LordCost, Fjokra - Slyrex passed the test, you're in. I think I'll get one more spin in this evening and secure the round winner and runner up (by the way, there's no rewards for winning rounds, just to be clear).
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2017, 07:50:35 AM »
Just wanted to say I like this format of roulette and really enjoyed lonestar's as well :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2017, 07:51:30 AM »
Just wanted to say I like this format of roulette and really enjoyed lonestar's as well :tup

Even when you lose the final round? :neverusethis:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2017, 07:56:19 AM »

Even when you lose the final round? :neverusethis:
Especially then.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. 3 SAFE, 13 IN DANGER
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2017, 12:39:14 PM »
Good because you're eliminated from this one too :corn

I've decided I'll reveal the winner tomorrow instead of right now, because it's more fun to let the winner suffer for one more day. I will instead reveal the runner up right here right now, and one more random safe song, 4 listens in atm.

First I'll do one of the mid-tier round 0 songs. This was kind of a toss up. On one hand, this song had easily the coolest intro of any song this round, the band pulls off heavy groovy instrumentals really fucking well. The vocals were mostly clean and in the higher register weren't really my thing. I would love this song more if the semi-harsh vocals were more present as they fit the rest of the song way better IMO. Nonetheless, this was a sick prog metal tune and there was never any doubt that it wouldn't make it past the eliminations. Also they had some sick Car Bomb outro going on the last 10 seconds. :biggrin:

Move along TAC, Constantine - Collective Harmony got you through to the next round. You can start thinking of the next song if you want, or relax the next 2 days and see where the rest of the participants end up.

Mr. runner up, great song, instant favourite. As you mentioned, this was channeling a lot of dredg fandom and even some Fair to Midland I'd say. I think they do the split between the funky verses and loaded post rock-like choruses extremely well, and the halftempo kinda thing they do when going into the chorus is exactly the type of thing I crave. It's almost scary how much this sounds like something Luke would send though.

You can relax, former champion, you're through to the next round. Kaddisfly - Campfire is one hell of a song, very close to being the song of the round.

And here is how the songs that are officially through are currently ranked, will update as we go:

1. Kaddisfly - campfire
2. Fjokra - Slyrex
3. Constantine - Collective Harmony
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2017, 12:40:53 PM »
yeah that kaddisfly tune is good
actually planning to start really spinning the album tonight  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2017, 01:35:37 PM »

First I'll do one of the mid-tier round 0 songs. This was kind of a toss up. On one hand, this song had easily the coolest intro of any song this round, the band pulls off heavy groovy instrumentals really fucking well. The vocals were mostly clean and in the higher register weren't really my thing. I would love this song more if the semi-harsh vocals were more present as they fit the rest of the song way better IMO. Nonetheless, this was a sick prog metal tune and there was never any doubt that it wouldn't make it past the eliminations. Also they had some sick Car Bomb outro going on the last 10 seconds. :biggrin:

Move along TAC, Constantine - Collective Harmony got you through to the next round. You can start thinking of the next song if you want, or relax the next 2 days and see where the rest of the participants end up.

:metal

My iPod is filled with higher registers! :lol

Glad you enjoyed.

WTF is Car Bomb? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2017, 02:20:54 PM »
I hope you wouldn't have asked :lol one thing they do a lot is create these low and reaaally slow guitar riffs to give it this bent effect kinda. But, you would absolutely hate their music, there is a lot of screaming and a lot of chaos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUVcnsiRQ4M

Saw them twice this year, some of the weirdest shows ever but I thought they were great at the same time

On another note, I think I know how I'm gonna structure the rest of this round. Think I'm gonna save 3 more people tomorrow morning (think like 9 or 10 hours from now) and 3 more that evening after work. This leaves me with 7 remaining songs and I decided today that the gap between bottom 4 and the others is big enough for me to let 4 people go instead of 5.

Any guesses for round winner?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2017, 03:15:59 PM »
Saw them twice this year, some of the weirdest shows ever but I thought they were great at the same time

I think the weirdest thing I ever saw was Mr. Bungle.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »

You saw Mr. Bungle live!? Fuck, I’m jealous
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2017, 03:37:17 PM »
The vocals were mostly clean and in the higher register weren't really my thing. I would love this song more if the semi-harsh vocals were more present as they fit the rest of the song way better IMO.

That song has some of the purest cleans on the whole album, and he also handles your typical slightly raspy power tone. Lassi is a great vocalist.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2017, 03:39:55 PM »

Any guesses for round winner?
Definitely my song, that song is  :metal  :biggrin:

:corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2017, 03:47:29 PM »
obviously the song i sent is round winner

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2017, 04:04:58 PM »
Actually I'm amending my answer. It's definitely going to be Stargazer as the winner. Hard to beat anything involving Dio and/or Richie Blackmore. Hard to believe most of the people involved with that album are now dead....  :-[
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2017, 04:30:26 PM »

You saw Mr. Bungle live!? Fuck, I’m jealous

Twice. In October of 1991, and then again in the spring of '92. The first time, I hade NO IDEA what they were about. A friend of mine was really into them, and I took him for his birthday. I had never heard a note, but I figured it's the singer from FNM, so how bad could it be?
I was like WTf'nF is THIS?? :lol

The next time they came back to Boston, I took another friend as a night out. He really liked them and bought their album.  Me, it's nothing I could listen too, but seeing them in two club shows in Boston was quite an experience.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2017, 02:24:26 AM »
Time to get 3 more names out there, here goes!

This song - on first impression - I could probably take or leave. Nothing really drew me in and I thought the vocals were a bit annoying. But I found that a few days later I kept playing this in my head, the vocals are really catchy and started growing on me pretty quickly. There is a really dreamy vibe to the song and that's probably the best approach when it comes to uplifting music in my roulette.

King, I firmly believe that the singer is tons better in The Reign of Kindo, but you've passed the preliminaries. This Day & Age - More of a Climb, Less of a Walk is through. I do wanna make clear that even though this one was never in the danger zone (bottom 4-5 range), it was close at times. Good song, but not one of my favourites in an overall pretty strong round.

Next up, a song that actually did wander the danger zone at the start. At first, it was just a chore to get through, almost filling up the entire 9 minutes and supposedly not really building up to anything. Just 9 minutes of meandering. This song grew on me in a big way though. The vocals are excellently haunting and give off this bittersweet feeling at the same time. The horns in the background accentuate the vocals quite well. And when given a closer listen or are more familiar with the song, you'll start noticing there's actually a pretty heavy loaded climax near the end, it's just epic in a more subtle way than you'd normally see. I'd love to hear more from this band.

Luke, go take a :chill you're through. Crippled Black Phoenix - Scared and Alone was the biggest grower of the round for sure!

Finally, let's get a song out there that ranked inbetween the two other songs above. The vocalist on this one is so damn consistent,  I don't think I've ever heard bad vocals by him. The riffage is simple but it does not matter, because it's groovy as hell. The one thing I regret is that the whole orchestra / horns section probably does not sound quite as epic if you didn't experience it 'back then', but they still do a great job of accentuating the vocals in the chorus, because that truly is one epic fucking chorus. The guitar solo kind of left me cold, it sounds tacky. That's all fine though because the ending of this song left me in awe with Dio's amazing voice.

Stadler, I have never heard Dream Theater's cover of Stargazer, nor had I heard the original by Rainbow, but that was one hell of a song. The ending was just great.

This leaves us with the folowing songs:

• In Mourning - Ashen Crown
  • Arcadea - Rings of Saturn
  • The Family Crest - Beneath the Brine
  • The Tragically Hip - Scared
  • Blessed By a Broken Heart - Shut Up and Rock
  • Easily Embarassed - Time Holes
  • Algiers - The Cycle / The Spiral: Time to go Down Slowly
  • Jack the Joker - Volte Face
  • Arcade Fire - Wake Up
  • Refused - Tannhauser / Derive

And here's the updated ranking of songs that are officially through now:

1. Kaddisfly - campfire
2. Fjokra - Slyrex
3. Crippled Black Phoenix - Scared and Alone
4. Rainbow - Stargazer
5. Constantine - Collective Harmony
6. This Day & Age - More of a Climb, Less of a Walk

3 more names (including the round winner) tonight. Oh and the safe people can start sending whenever they want btw, deadline is Wednesday 23:59 PM (GMT+1 timezone)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 02:30:23 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline LordCost

« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2017, 02:51:16 AM »
Wow, I thought it was a risky choice. Fjokra has only released an EP and recently two new singles, which are less experimental but really catchy. I've already decided the song for round 1, this time it's metal and I'm quite sure to survive.

Never heard the other songs of the round.. I liked Snowflakes by Kaddisfly, but not much some other songs by them.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2017, 03:14:02 AM »
Good to see Stargazer is safe.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2017, 03:30:44 AM »
Oh boy :corn
Squ

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2017, 04:50:58 AM »
Well, i guess a boot in round 1 is a strong possibility
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2017, 05:21:04 AM »
*let's out a sigh of relief*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2017, 05:57:01 AM »
Good to see Stargazer is safe.
Yeah I might be in a fogey mood because I'm seeing Testament tonight, but there's no doubt I really thought that song was great, I think I like it more than Gates of Babylon.

One song has dropped form the top 4 all the way down to a point where I will need some serious listening to decide whether it'll even make it through to the next round. It's like every single song except that one has grown on me, even the ones that currently rank lower. Though this made me all the more certain that the songs above it are safe, and right now it comes down to picking between my favourite of the bottom four songs and that song that dropped a lot in rankings the last few days.

:corn :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2017, 05:59:10 AM »
Everytime I see Stadler submit Rainbow, I feel like I'm thinking these roulettes too hard.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2017, 06:04:34 AM »
I'm so fucked lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2017, 06:05:53 AM »
I'm so fucked lol

Sucks being on the other side doesn't it R.J.? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2017, 07:21:36 AM »
Seriously man, I'm screwed for the next five roulettes

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2017, 07:23:02 AM »
Still fun though because he we are getting excited about how we going to make it or not. The second benefit is I get to find out music that I would never know about check them out and blow more money.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2017, 07:46:26 AM »
I'm glad you liked Kaddisfly, it is really something you might like :smiley:

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2017, 10:41:04 AM »
Now I'm getting nervous...  :|
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2017, 10:55:14 AM »
One song has dropped form the top 4 all the way down to a point where I will need some serious listening to decide whether it'll even make it through to the next round. It's like every single song except that one has grown on me, even the ones that currently rank lower. Though this made me all the more certain that the songs above it are safe, and right now it comes down to picking between my favourite of the bottom four songs and that song that dropped a lot in rankings the last few days.
hell yeah  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2017, 03:23:37 PM »
Okay, got home from Testament, it was sick. Not music I'd dig as much at home but man they've got quite some energy. Time to do this shit:

First one I let off is probably the most consistently heavy song of the round. This remains more interesting than a lot of bands I hear in the genre. They shake up the riffs and melodies quite a lot and it makes the song remaing interesting throughout its (pretty long) runtime. The chorus has amazingly epic guitar melodies going on, I simply love those. And the clean ending was a bit of a surprise and it takes me out of the song a bit but I've grown to love it. Can safely say this was my third favourite round.

Sorry for letting you wait this long, but no more need to worry my dude. Puppies_On_Acid, Ashen Crown was fucking sick, you're through to the next.

Next up, time to let off someone who I feel I've deservedly kept waiting in stress for this long. :biggrin:
Pretty rad progressive metal song, this one. It almost felt a bit too cookie-cutter progmetal for me and the vocals were not satisfying me entirely, but in the end it was things like that one cool vocal melody in the chorus and that Meshuggah-like riff with some super low basslines in the second half of the song that pushed me over the edge. Definitely on the lower end of submissions that made it through, but good enough to pass.

Lonestar, you eliminated me in the first fucking round, but I sadly can't do the same with you since you lined up a pretty cool song. Jack the Joker - Volte Face gets the green light.

Finally let's reveal the round winner. This probably started as a 'safe entry' since the band is currently touring with my favourite band and have a pretty similar sound. The strings are beautiful, give off this epic haunting feeling. What carries me over for the same reason as The Dear Hunter though, is they manage to build up so much tension, and the last chorus is just so overwhelmingly huge. Easy pass to the next round, and definite winner of round 0.

Home, join the cool kids for round 1. Beneath the Brine is a banger. Unfortunately there are no prizes for round winner in this roulette. :P

This means there are 7 people left, 4 get eliminated and 3 still go through. Here's the ranking of all songs so far:

1. The Family Crest - Beneath the Brine
2. Kaddisfly - campfire
3. In Mourning - Ashen Crown
4. Fjokra - Slyrex
5. Crippled Black Phoenix - Scared and Alone
6. Rainbow - Stargazer
7. Constantine - Collective Harmony
8. This Day & Age - More of a Climb, Less of a Walk
9. Jack the Joker - Volte Face

Let me just reiterate that this is a really strong round, I like all 9 songs listed here.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »
Well, shit.
Squ