1 (7.7%)
Music nerd with German music fetish - Parama
1 (7.7%)
Old man with passion for deathmetal vocals - TAC
2 (15.4%)
Train of Naught
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. THE END.... OR IS IT?  (Read 56589 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. ROUND 3 UNDERWAY
« Reply #385 on: December 29, 2017, 03:46:54 AM »
There were so many good parts I don't know if I can pick a favourite:

- removing about 20 names from the banned list after the first few day of the roulette because she "just copied and mixed together a couple of banned lists from other roulettes"
- giving everyone 10/10 without any reasonable explanation as to why she loved the songs so much
- hosting a round dedicated to pop music which she absolutely hates (while still having Coldplay on the banned list)
- organizing an avenged sevenfold only round after declaring her love for the band numerous times in other threads, that's like me hosting a round for the dear hunter or something
- giving a Native Construct song higher than an 8/10

There's two great songs this round and while I'm pretty sure which one is going to win, I don't want to announce either quite yet, probably saving it for tonight.

This one was kind of meh, but had its moments. The main guitar motif was pretty annoying in the first 4 bars, so I was pretty disappointed to find out it continued for almost the entire duration of the song. Consequently, it shouldn't come as a surprise that my favourite part of the song was the verse where this guitar was (rightfully) turned off. Also, the last few moments of the song have some pretty awesome soaring vocal lines, I think they should have extended the song a bit (felt very short) and turned that part into a chorus and have it return later. Like a more standard verse/chorus/verse/chorus structure, why not? Would work for this song. That is, if they unplugged the lead guitar :lol :corn

I think the person who sent this knows it's him by now. Home, you're in. Overall, this was a pretty weak round so you're still probably somewhere in the middle of the rankings.

1. Disperse - Unbroken Shiver
2. Tall Ships - T=0

As always, hangmanen is starting to bore me so here are the song names and band names (probably gonna reveal them right away from this point on):

???: Rush - Marathon
home: Tall Ships - T=0
???: Nevermore - Born
???: Loch Vostok - Yurei
???: El Drugstore - Steakback
Sacul: Snarky Puppy - Gone Under
lonestar: Disperse - Unbroken Shiver
???: Gentle Giant - Proclamation
Tomislav95: Todtgelichter - Café of Lost Dreams
???: Death - Flesh and the Power It Holds
???: (The Darkness - Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End))

No, I'm not saying they are well known but I was planning to send them and was 99% sure they were on the banned list.
I would have expected them to be banned by now too tbh. Saw them live this year (around February I think?) with Plini and DMM. Their last album was much more in line with their latest albums as well so they fit the line-up, but from the snippets I've heard from Living Mirrors, that's a whole different beast. Never checked them out because I was kind of burned out on uplifting instrumental prog like the last DMM album.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #386 on: December 29, 2017, 04:00:01 AM »
Parama sent Loch Vostok (?)

I think my song has a good chance of getting through against this bunch :corn
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LordCost

« Reply #387 on: December 29, 2017, 04:22:19 AM »
I saw Loch Vostok live in 2011 with Orkenjott, Persefone and Leprous and they were the only band I didn't like or cared for.  I hope prog survives against metal this round :\

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #388 on: December 29, 2017, 04:25:23 AM »
I saw that same tour :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #389 on: December 29, 2017, 05:10:14 AM »
Parama definitely sent El Drugstore.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #390 on: December 29, 2017, 05:32:29 AM »
Did Elite sent Gentle Giant?
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #391 on: December 29, 2017, 07:18:11 AM »
Parama definitely sent El Drugstore.
Definitely
Did Elite sent Gentle Giant?
Definitely not

I've decided that song #2 is definitely not as strong as #1 so time to announce it. This was one of the heavier songs of the round, and it was the only one from that bunch where I truly did not believe it to go this heavy. Pretty early on in the song it takes a drastic turn from a pretty standard and actually kind of grating clean traditional metal voice into this sick combination of Gojira-like riffing and Slice the Cake-like vocals. For real, that was such a sick combination, I can't get enough of it. At the core, this song is just great through and through, but I wasn't completely sold on the clean vocals. That's just a minor complaint though, yet another great submission from probably the most consistent participant so far.

Of course I'm speaking of TAC with Yurei by Loch Vostok. :metal

This here is one of the songs I remember the least of of the entire round, but it's not in a bad way. It's just.. a lot to take in, and every time I listened to it so far I enjoyed it a lot. Some interesting and almost sinister sounding instrumentals here, as well as a pretty diverse display of vocals. The rhythm section has a great punch to it and the lead guitars serve as a nice extra layer throughout the whole song. Maybe the female vocals are a bit too one-sided but that's nitpicking, it's good stuff.

Tomislav95 with Café of Lost Dreams by Todtgelichter makes the cut, way easier than last round. :tup

1. Loch Vostok - Yurei
2. Disperse - Unbroken Shiver
2. Todtgelichter - Café of Lost Dreams
4. Tall Ships - T=0

???: Rush - Marathon
home: Tall Ships - T=0
???: Nevermore - Born
TAC: Loch Vostok - Yurei
Parama: El Drugstore - Steakback
Sacul: Snarky Puppy - Gone Under
lonestar: Disperse - Unbroken Shiver
???: Gentle Giant - Proclamation
Tomislav95: Todtgelichter - Café of Lost Dreams
???: Death - Flesh and the Power It Holds
???: (The Darkness - Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End))

The winner + 3 more writeups tonight, and the bottom 2 will be revealed tomorrow morning (approx. 20 hours from now). The rest of y'all can start thinking of submissions/submitting.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:39:29 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #392 on: December 29, 2017, 07:28:22 AM »
Oh great :tup Todtgelichter is a definitely a lot to take in but I knew you'd like them.
After almost failing with Foxing, I really don't know what to send next :-\
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #393 on: December 29, 2017, 08:48:43 AM »
i can't believe you literally copy + pasted my review of T=0  :P

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #394 on: December 29, 2017, 08:54:15 AM »
I have a feeling my song is in the bottom 2.... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #395 on: December 29, 2017, 09:18:47 AM »
Puppies sent Death
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #396 on: December 29, 2017, 09:34:08 AM »
my song is the round winner because of course it is, it's the best song i've sent yet

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #397 on: December 29, 2017, 12:18:38 PM »
i can't believe you literally copy + pasted my review of T=0  :P
Seriously? I wouldn't be surprised if people share the same opinion on that song though, I don't think these comments are that shocking :P

The round winner is not
my song
. In fact, it is some jazz fusion goodness. I'm sure you have no clue who sent it. This tune was reaaaally cool, sick C2C-like vibe. Great guest vocalist. Groovy beats all over. I don't have a lot to say about it other than it's just the coolest song of the roulette so far and am really looking forward to looking further into this band after seeing their name around for a pretty long time.

Sacul, you've done it, you won a round with Snarky Puppy :corn

Other than the fact that this song often sounded like it wasn't just one song, but like a dozen short songs glued together, I thought it was great. The vocals were a bit overwhelming at first but I've gotten used to them and they are really powerful. What appeals to me the most is the way the guitars adapt to the tempo changes so well and it just sounds hella progressive. I guess I should have expected that, seeing the reputation these guys have.

Flesh and the Power It Holds by Death was pretty great, you're through luke. :tup Your Christmas song would probably rank #8 this round, just above the bottom 2. Wasn't a huge fan (but I didn't give it as much listens as the other songs)

1. Snarky Puppy - Gone Under
2. Loch Vostok - Yurei
3. Death - Flesh and the Power It Holds
3. Disperse - Unbroken Shiver
3. Todtgelichter - Café of Lost Dreams
6. Tall Ships - T=0

That leaves us with

* Gentle Giant - Proclamation
* Nevermore - Born
* Rush - Marathon
* El Drugstore - Steakback

I'm guessing right now, these wouldn't be my exact bottom 4, but definitely all bottom 5 (the best song here surpassed T=0). But I already know the loser, so gain some self-awareness and show yourself out if you want to save yourself a write-up :corn

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #398 on: December 29, 2017, 12:25:45 PM »
If I had to send one song by Rush it wouldn't be Marathon. But I wouldn't want to even get myself in that position where I had to pick one Rush song so :corn
And it would be Jacob's Ladder :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #399 on: December 29, 2017, 12:34:35 PM »
It definitely would not be Marathon.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #400 on: December 29, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »
If I get cut you don't deserve more great music anyways so bring it on trainyboy  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #401 on: December 29, 2017, 02:28:36 PM »
Fair enough, you can stay then Parama

Your song didn't do much for me, other than the bass being outstanding (which I know you talk about all the time and I agree with). It almost made the rest of the guys look like they didn't have any inspiration in comparison. Just felt like a pretty stale song with some ok riffs, but that alone didn't really make it enjoyable enough for me. The guitar tone though is pretty damn cool, I wish they'd have some more straight up headbanging riffs cause they sure as hell have the bass to back it up and give it that thick sound. I just lack that.. I don't know, punch? The riffs really lack some power, maybe it's the mix but something just sounds off/lacking to me. Steakback by El Drugstore aka East of the Wall with less appeal was.. sufficient.

The vocals on this one were so-so for me. As soon as the clean vocals came in I was convinced this guy could sing really well, but the more distorted kind of vocals in the beginning that come back later on as well was not for me I guess. Some reaally good riffs in this one though, definitely made up for it and overall this song had some good replay value to it even though I didn't fully enjoy it. When I was up against Orcus in a 1-on-1 in lonestar's loser bracket, he sent The Godless Endeavour and I checked it out and was really impressed. For this song, I'd say I was equally impressed with the chorus, and some of the riffing was really solid, but the rest didn't live up to those expectations. Will still probably check out this band.

This was Born by Nevermore, sent by Elite.

2. Loch Vostok - Yurei
6. Nevermore - Born
6. El Drugstore - Steakback
8. Tall Ships - T=0

* Rush - Marathon (Puppies_On_Acid)
* Gentle Giant - Proclamation (LordCost)

LordCost is up against Puppies_On_Acid for elimination in a clash of classic prog rock bands. Who will leave us next? Find out tomorrow morning! :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #402 on: December 29, 2017, 02:33:55 PM »

I've decided that song #2 is definitely not as strong as #1 so time to announce it. This was one of the heavier songs of the round, and it was the only one from that bunch where I truly did not believe it to go this heavy. Pretty early on in the song it takes a drastic turn from a pretty standard and actually kind of grating clean traditional metal voice into this sick combination of Gojira-like riffing and Slice the Cake-like vocals. For real, that was such a sick combination, I can't get enough of it. At the core, this song is just great through and through, but I wasn't completely sold on the clean vocals. That's just a minor complaint though, yet another great submission from probably the most consistent participant so far.

Of course I'm speaking of TAC with Yurei by Loch Vostok. :metal

:metal

That's a really cool album. Yurei is really the only song like it, and one I thought would fit in with this roulette.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #403 on: December 29, 2017, 02:36:08 PM »
plague ship isn't as good as the apologist but it's still great so  :corn

also rip old music

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #404 on: December 29, 2017, 02:58:39 PM »
How the hell did Snarky Puppy win the round? :lol Not complaining tho, that's a great album and I love their music. Their other records are more instrumental and have lengthier pieces but they're never too technical and always fun.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #405 on: December 29, 2017, 03:05:27 PM »
yeah, sending old prog to Train isn’t a good idea, but by all means, keep on doing it :corn
Squ

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #406 on: December 29, 2017, 04:58:30 PM »
yeah, sending old prog to Train isn’t a good idea, but by all means, keep on doing it :corn
I've learned my lesson.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. ROUND 3 RESULTS / SEND ROUND 4
« Reply #407 on: December 30, 2017, 04:25:40 AM »
How the hell did Snarky Puppy win the round? :lol Not complaining tho, that's a great album and I love their music. Their other records are more instrumental and have lengthier pieces but they're never too technical and always fun.
Damn, I think I prefer the less lengthy instrumental focused style such as in this song, but if it's not too technical I think I can dig it. Will probably do some roulette album updates over the next couple weeks in the "What album are you listening to?" thread.

Gentle(:neverusethis:)men, time to announce who is leaving us today. You couldn't help yourselves and had to show me some of the classics, and I appreciate the risk. But 9 out of 10 times it does not seem to go down well. On one side we have a really flashy display of early avant-garde type of innovations, with odd vocal melodies and unusual piano patterns remeniscent of more soul/blues/jazz leaning music. The other one is more focused, but seems to channel its flashiness through the crazy bassplayer (I believe this is the same person as the lead singer?) and catchy vocals.

Puppies, your song was less out there than LoCo's for sure, but it was also very very sweet and sugar-y for my tastes, that's something that really left a bad taste in my mouth. The vocals were catchy, but not in a way that impressed or even interested me. I don't like talking smack about people's favourite bands or songs (unless it's Parama) but that's just the way I feel.

LordCost, your song may have been the most unique one of the round by a fair margin, it was also the one I probably felt most embarassed listening to because it was so odd. I can see the influence on Haken, but they definitely have a more subtle take on it and do not go all out crazy wearing their influences on their shoulders as much as they could have. That said, this song had some undeniably cool moments that I couldn't put myself to eliminate you over the Rush song.

That means that Puppies_On_Acid, sorry, you're toast. Between the melodic deathmetal and avant-garde blackmetal, this was your biggest risk by far and it did not pay off.  :-\

2. Loch Vostok - Yurei
6. Nevermore - Born
6. El Drugstore - Steakback
8. Tall Ships - T=0
9. Gentle Giant - Proclamation

10. Rush - Marathon

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #408 on: December 30, 2017, 04:27:17 AM »
I've learned my lesson.

:(
Squ

Offline LordCost

« Reply #409 on: December 30, 2017, 04:53:28 AM »
I'm not an old music listener too, but I enjoy what I heard of GG. I played Proclamation in my car to a friend and he liked it too despite not being a classic prog fan. The Rush song seems interesting from your writeup, it's not what I expected to read about Rush.

What a tension for this end of the round, it's more fun to have the results published in different moments and leaving the bottom 2 at last  :tup

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #410 on: December 30, 2017, 07:18:19 AM »
Sent.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #411 on: December 30, 2017, 10:06:02 AM »
Well, I tried. In hindsight I probably should have sent something heavier by Rush. Although I probably should have sent something completely different...
It was fun while it lasted. Good luck everyone else.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #412 on: December 30, 2017, 10:32:11 AM »
Wow...Marathon got eliminated....love that song. I'll need to tread carefully here. I'll try to send by the end of the day, big decisions going on right now lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #413 on: December 30, 2017, 10:39:08 AM »
sending classic prog :neverusethis:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #414 on: December 30, 2017, 11:11:08 AM »
Sent...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #415 on: December 30, 2017, 07:36:09 PM »
Wow...Marathon got eliminated....love that song. I'll need to tread carefully here. I'll try to send by the end of the day, big decisions going on right now lol

Fantastic song.

I'm stunned that TAC is still hanging around.  You run out of weird shit yet?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #416 on: December 30, 2017, 07:45:55 PM »
Hey, I had the second best song of the last round!  :yarr

Not sure you'd like that particular song, but that album  :metal :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #417 on: December 31, 2017, 03:52:24 AM »
Only need 4 more submissions but still no classic prog, what's the matter, are you all chickens? :chicken: (apparently this emoji exists)

I'm stunned that TAC is still hanging around.
I mean, have you heard his songs? TAC is like the girl from the exorcist, he seems like this super innocent "boohoo I can't stand growls" man but in PMs he just turns into a beast and sends me the heaviest shit of the entire roulette.

Bad analogy, but you get the gist

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #418 on: December 31, 2017, 04:28:38 AM »
I’ll send you some classic prog when I’ll get home this afternoon :)
Squ

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #419 on: December 31, 2017, 10:17:57 AM »
Only need 4 more submissions but still no classic prog, what's the matter, are you all chickens? :chicken: (apparently this emoji exists)

I was man enough to send classic prog and look where it got me.... :tdwn  :facepalm:

:tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid