1 (7.7%)
Music nerd with German music fetish - Parama
1 (7.7%)
Old man with passion for deathmetal vocals - TAC
2 (15.4%)
Train of Naught
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. THE END.... OR IS IT?  (Read 57288 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. ROUND 1 FIRST RESULT
« Reply #245 on: December 14, 2017, 07:59:41 AM »
Congrats lonestar, you've already lasted twice as long as I did.
:zydar:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. ROUND 1 FIRST RESULTS
« Reply #246 on: December 15, 2017, 03:28:31 AM »
I made it through! Barely. I was debating between that song and some of the heavier, more aggressive songs on the album, but it did its job. Check out the tracks Selfsame or Unturning for something more aggressive. The last half of Selfsame is particularly amazing (imo). The second half of the album is much lighter than the rest and I know for some people it can drag a bit. I find it a perfect way to end the album though.

I definitely know what I'm sending for the next round. Prepare to have your face melted!
Not that barely :lol honestly liked the first round a bit more than this one so the threshold to make it through was a bit lower. Looking forward to your next entry!

Which brings me to this: got one entry in so far and had to reject the other one because my stupid self forgot some bands (and likely more than just this one, we'll find out), so Anciients is now added to the banned list.

Ok next up we are going to free someone who I thought I would be eliminating at first. When skimming through it to find singing parts I thought it was quite boring and most of all, nothing like anything I expected you to send. I soon came to appreciate the melodies and it became a really soothing piece of this first round. I also tend to lean more towards some of the softer RHCP songs rather than the weird more chaotic ones, and I had no idea John Frusciante was from RHCP until I heard this song.

Luke, round 2 is yours. I had my doubts about Song to Sing When I'm Lonely but I got around to it. Send me something

1. Moonloop - Strombus
2. Eryn Non Dae. - Hidden Lotus
3. John Frusciante - Song to Sing When I'm Lonely
4. Arcane - Promise (Part 2)
5. Monuments - 97% Static
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. ROUND 1 WINNER
« Reply #247 on: December 15, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »
I think I want to get all the writeups except for the bottom two out of the way because I'm gonna be pretty hungover tomorrow and still want to finish the round as soon as possible on Saturday, so let's get on with it. First off, time to announce the winner:

This one had it all and is easily my #2 song of the roulette behind Beneath the Brine from last round, if not #1. Incredibly catchy chorus, fun bouncy rhythms and just all around quiryk songwriting. Just one of those songs where it's impossible to sit still. There's even this really funny solo section that sounds like a numbed down Kazoo. :lol You know my tastes too well, I hope you can continue this spree cause I think these might be my favourite songs you've sent me throughout both roulettes you participated in.

Yeah, you probably know it by now, home, you're through with ease once again. If this were a normal roulette format you'd have a pretty strong lead already, but it's not. :) Necromancin Dancin by Bear Ghost was easily the best song of the round.

I found out about this band last year when one of their songs made their top songs of 2016: Sovereign. I quickly took an appeal to their symphonic elements mixed with heavy metal, and a very strong voice that doesn't stay too much in 'classic metal' territory which usually is kind of a turn off for me. They quickly became more popular when they won a contest that allowed them to open for Metallica, but, besides following them on Facebook and seeing these updates I never really checked out more of their music. This new song didn't quite strike my chords like Sovereign did, that one had a really cool more stripped down rock vibe to it with the guitar solo and the vocal melodies (kind of like a metal Rival Sons almost)  and this tune seems to go into modern progressive metal territory a bit more. The break after the second chorus was sick and the rest of the song was also very solid.

Still, great tune and an easy pass to the next round. TAC, you safe, Ode to the Damned was a great song.

Oh yeah and here's the current ranking:

1. Bear Ghost - Necromancin Dancin
2. Moonloop - Strombus
3. Eryn Non Dae. - Hidden Lotus
4. Defecto - Ode to the Damned
5. John Frusciante - Song to Sing When I'm Lonely
6. Arcane - Promise (Part 2)
7. Monuments - 97% Static

And the songs that have yet to have gotten their writeups:

* Edge of Reality - Grababyte
* The Panic Channel - Teahouse of the Spirits
* toe - Goodbye
* The Hotelier - Your Deep Rest
* Faith No More - Malpractice

I'm gonna declare 3 more people safe in about two hours leaving only the bottom two. I might gather the energy to do the last two when I get home but it'll probably have to wait until the next morning/early afternoon.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #248 on: December 15, 2017, 08:29:12 AM »
Woooo  :metal

Not sure I can keep this level up as I did sent the songs I was most sure of first, but I might have some other songs you'll like :azn:

There's even this really funny solo section that sounds like a numbed down Kazoo. :lol
:lol
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #249 on: December 15, 2017, 09:40:58 AM »
Okay! Doing three more right now. Feel the suspense!

First one: You were correct in being a bit unsure about this song. I am a bit impartial to it. For avant-garde type of stuff, I think it's missing some stuff to make it really stand out enough. Compared to his other big project, this just comes across a bit too alternative metal-like and I'm missing the intriguing elements. Nonetheless, I think his clean vocals are great and I can now see Tommy from BTBAM has been influenced a lot by Patton's cleans. Frankly, those clean moments (cold hands, your hands etc.) were my favourites of the song.

Step down from your previous song but still good (the writeup may have been a bit more critical than I was in reality, I still enjoyed it, just on the lower half of submissions this round). LordCost, you're joining me for round 2! Malpractice made the cut, but it was a bit closer than last round.

I wanted to keep you waiting a bit longer this time because your confidence needed to be remedied. :corn I thought the vocals were okay at best after the first 2 listens, but I've come to really dig the verses on this tune. Does not quite top some of my favourite songs in the genre, but the delivery throughout was very emotive and it connected with me in the end. The chorus was my least favourite part of the song, not bad, but kind of took me out of it whenever it occured because I just preferred listening to the verses. :lol The vocals give me a Blink 182 vibe but with a dark tone to them, which is great because I always found Blink 182 to be too jolly for my tastes.

Tomislav, back in line. Send me a good song

This one was extremely close, and I think you lucked out with your sending order, don't think this song would have made the cut in the previous round. The atmosphere was cool, very nice dreamy vibe, but that's really the only impressive thing I can say. I like foreign singers, but the articulation of Japanese singers doing English lyrics really turns me off, it sounds weird to me. The Japanese parts are okay, but mostly feel like they obstruct the instrumentals that really should be the centerpoint of attention in post-rock. But what do I know, you found Helios Erebus one-dimensional so we have very different schools of thought when it comes to post-rock/metal I believe. :lol It did make for a fun vocal snippet however

Sacul, consider this strike two. Step up your game mannnn :corn

Ranking of current songs:

1. Bear Ghost - Necromancin Dancin
2. Moonloop - Strombus
3. Eryn Non Dae. - Hidden Lotus
4. The Hotelier - Your Deep Rest
5. Defecto - Ode to the Damned
6. John Frusciante - Song to Sing When I'm Lonely
7. Arcane - Promise (Part 2)
8. Monuments - 97% Static
9. Faith No More - Malpractice
10. toe - Goobye

Kingshmegland and Stadler, gonna need to let you wait in suspense until tomorrow morning/afternoon (about 18 hours from now I'm guessing). The rest can go ahead and send for round 2. I'd prefer to have all of them in by the end of the weekend.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. ROUND 1
« Reply #250 on: December 15, 2017, 09:49:11 AM »
fogey fight  :hat

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #251 on: December 15, 2017, 09:52:44 AM »
That toe song is math rock tho :lol

Anyways glad I'm in, hope I can keep avoiding the axe un the next rounds.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #252 on: December 15, 2017, 10:18:48 AM »
AAAAWWWWEEEEEE CCCRRRAAAPPPPPP!!!!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #253 on: December 15, 2017, 12:41:18 PM »
Whatever, Poly-Math is also mathrock but the two genres have so many identical elements that I don't really care :P

AAAAWWWWEEEEEE CCCRRRAAAPPPPPP!!!!!!!
Looks like you're suffering from DIGIIIITAL DECAY

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: December 15, 2017, 01:53:33 PM »

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #255 on: December 15, 2017, 04:12:19 PM »
 :censored, I was about to send you an Oathbreaker song, then noticed at the last second they are on your banned list...

Back to the drawing board.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: December 15, 2017, 04:21:59 PM »
They're pretty meh anyways

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #257 on: December 15, 2017, 04:34:42 PM »
They're fucking awesome, seeing them live for the first time on Sunday! If that's the band you wanted to send me, at least you have a good idea of what I like!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #258 on: December 15, 2017, 04:36:51 PM »
They're fucking awesome, seeing them live for the first time on Sunday! If that's the band you wanted to send me, at least you have a good idea of what I like!
Oathbreaker is amazing and Parama can go eat a giant bag of  :censored (I mean  :corn )

And found something to send that will probably get me kicked.......  :biggrin:  :metal
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:43:28 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #259 on: December 15, 2017, 04:47:16 PM »
I've tried to listen to the latest oathbreaker several times and it's just meh for me

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #260 on: December 15, 2017, 06:49:27 PM »
Just checked out some Oathbreaker on Spotify. Seriously, WTF?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #261 on: December 15, 2017, 07:36:44 PM »
Oathbreaker isn't for everyone.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #262 on: December 15, 2017, 07:39:40 PM »
definitely not fogey music  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #263 on: December 15, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »
Yeah, I'll be over here not listening to Oathbreaker!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #264 on: December 15, 2017, 07:50:39 PM »
you should definitely check out that eryn non dae song i sent though  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #265 on: December 15, 2017, 08:01:23 PM »
you should definitely check out that eryn non dae song i sent though  :metal

Done. It's not like I was going to do anything special with those 8 minutes of my life anyway. :lol

Wow!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #266 on: December 15, 2017, 08:08:51 PM »
Eryn Non Dae sounds pretty good so far but it's not TAC material I think, just recommend him some good Winger, like Pull Me Under.

Anyway I kinda feel wrong doing this stuff while still tipsy but I'm gonna get it out of the way, fuck it, less writing tomorrow morning

Okay, so you two are on the completely opposite side of the spectrum of each other. One of you sent a song I found too one sided and not really interesting at all, but at the same time it had some good hooks and overall was a pretty catchy song. The other sent a song that was all over the place, even a bit incomprehensible at times, coming from a guy that obsesses over Native Construct. If the guy that gets made fun of for listening to weird random music finds a song too random/tacky, that must be saying something. Nonetheless, I thought this tune had some really cool moments, as a whole I just didn't find it very interesting.

So I had to compare the completely chaotic tune that had some really interesting moments but overall didn't had any replay value against a song that didn't really offer anything except a decently catchy chorus. I ended up going with the more standard tune that at least had some more replay value.

Sorry King, you took quite a risk with a song that was so out there, and it really did have some cool moments. Overall though, the crazy Native Construct x100 concept didn't really hook me, I found out that there really is music out there that is too random even for me. Would've loved to have you longer but I could not put this song through, not my thing. :-\ Gotta say the elevator bass groove section was cool as fuck though.

So that means Stadler, you're through again. Everyone can start sending me songs for the next round, would like to have them by the end of the week ultimately.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Train Roulette III: The Cool Kids Edition v. ROUND 1 RESULTS / SEND ROUND 2
« Reply #267 on: December 15, 2017, 08:12:01 PM »
Trust me, I'll take the eryn non dae over Winger anyday of the week!

And I've already sent.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: December 15, 2017, 08:13:08 PM »
Crap.   Good luck folks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #269 on: December 15, 2017, 08:14:23 PM »
King, you keep the Fogey flag flying in Sacul's and I'll try and keep it flying over here.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: December 15, 2017, 08:19:45 PM »
Sacul is a different bird.  I've got some stuff I think he likes.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #271 on: December 16, 2017, 07:17:21 AM »
Prediction... TAC and Stadler are bottom 2 this round.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #272 on: December 16, 2017, 09:44:23 AM »
Hey, King's song was anything but fogey music :lol it's one of the most modern sounding things I've heard recently

5 songs in, 6 to go:

- Stadler
- Tomislav95
- Sacul
- LordCost
- Lonestar
- Twosuitsluke

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #273 on: December 16, 2017, 10:03:49 AM »
Slackers!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #274 on: December 16, 2017, 10:29:06 AM »

Sent something sad (again) :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #275 on: December 16, 2017, 11:11:52 AM »
Slackers!

I actually sent the moment I was safe 's and succeeded in finding a hole 8n his ban list. Sending again now....

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #276 on: December 16, 2017, 11:32:32 AM »
Slackers!
Still waiting for your submission :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #277 on: December 17, 2017, 01:13:03 AM »
Need Sacul and twosuitsluke, and Stadler you have to resubmit because of the time limit

Slackers!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #278 on: December 17, 2017, 01:38:42 AM »
still waiting for all of you guys to submit in my secret 15th round of my third roulette

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: December 17, 2017, 04:58:37 AM »
Hey, King's song was anything but fogey music :lol it's one of the most modern sounding things I've heard recently

5 songs in, 6 to go:

- Stadler
- Tomislav95
- Sacul
- LordCost
- Lonestar
- Twosuitsluke

I'm hip man. :lol