We Damn The Night
0 (0%)
Immortal
0 (0%)
The Dark Ride
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: December 05, 2017, 03:05:25 AM

Author Topic: HELLOWEEN Survivor 2017 - The Dark Ride - round 1  (Read 285 times)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
HELLOWEEN Survivor 2017 - The Dark Ride - round 1
« on: December 04, 2017, 03:05:25 AM »
THE DARK RIDE

The Dark Ride is the ninth studio album by Helloween, released in 2000. The album's style was quite different from Better Than Raw as it had a much darker sound, very tuned down guitars, and gruffer vocals. The album was produced by renowned figures Roy Z and Charlie Bauerfeind. It is also the last studio album to feature guitarist Roland Grapow and drummer Uli Kusch, both of whom were fired after completion of the supporting tour for the album. They went on to form the band Masterplan.

I only want to say two words about that album - FUCKING BRILLIANT. I know that is darkness and evil in it, there are tuned down guitars, there are no orange pumpkins etc etc... For me, it's one of my top 3 Helloween albums. Every song has some specific elements that I love in music, every song. Let's get down to voting.

Andi Deris - vocals
Roland Grapow – guitar
Michael Weikath – guitar
Markus Grosskopf – bass
Uli Kusch – drums

12.  :huh:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I put Beyond The Portal separately... Why? because I don't have an idea what should go first.... So, let's get Beyond The Portal out of here and tomorrow we'll be thinking ;)

Offline Mladen

Re: HELLOWEEN Survivor 2017 - The Dark Ride - round 1
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 03:14:46 AM »
Beyond The Portal

This album has some of their best material (and several extremely underrated, forgotten tunes), but also at least four truly average ones. Lets kick out the intro first.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 03:30:02 AM »
Of course the intro is the way to go.

The album kicks ass. It was an experiment, but it was a good one. Maybe some lyrics here and there are trying too hard to be evil and scary, but all in all the album is wonderful and obliterates the poor "comeback" album that followed.

Ironically I think the least convincing songs are the happy ones, the ones supposedly in "true" Helloween style. Everything else is brilliant!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 04:02:19 AM »
Obvious vote is obvious.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 04:49:52 AM »
Ironically I think the least convincing songs are the happy ones, the ones supposedly in "true" Helloween style. Everything else is brilliant!
I agree. It's also fairly obvious which ones those are, so lets go after them next.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 05:15:21 AM »
I agree. It's also fairly obvious which ones those are, so lets go after them next.

That was precisely my plan!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 05:28:12 AM »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 03:27:20 PM »
I think the band should have stuck with this line up and this sound.  Excellent album

Intro

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 06:22:40 PM »
Excellent album! I'll be rooting heavily for the title track, Escalation 666, and If I Could Fly

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 04:13:14 AM »
I think the band should have stuck with this line up and this sound.  Excellent album

J, are you actually Notepad?  :lol

That was precisely my plan!

While the darker tones on this album really make it a highlight in Helloween's discography, I also think that the likes of Salvation and All Over Nations are two of the strongest, happy and classic sounding Helloween tunes out.  This album has it all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.