Author Topic: The Asia Thread  (Read 2441 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
The Asia Thread
« on: December 03, 2017, 01:30:01 PM »
Didn't see any results for Asia on the search... shame on you all.

Asia is the butt of a lot of ridicule for reasons I strongly disagree with. These guys - the real Asia, not this John Payne nonsense - made some amazing, heartfelt music. I only got into them about 5 years ago, but I fell in love with the music right away. Alpha helped me get through a really low time in my life. It's very much a winter album to me, in that I appreciate it more when I hear it during the cold months for some strange reason. Simply put, it makes me happy and uplifts me in a way most other albums just aren't capable of.

John Wetton, RIP. He passed on my birthday this year and it took a long time for me to listen to songs like Bury Me In Willow and Ghost of a Chance again without feeling sad. I was really disappointed with Gravitas, but I haven't listened to it since JW passed, and I think it's about time to try listening again. The other comeback albums are fantastic - XXX being the outstanding one. The guitar solo in Ghost of a Chance is my single favorite section of music from these guys and I always have to show it to someone looking for rock with some depth and real heart to it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Polarbear

Re: The Asia Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »
I could swear that I've seen an Asia Thread here somewhere before! Maybe I'm just remembering it all wrong..

I do love a lot of the stuff that Asia has done, the hits included. Wetton had an amazing voice!

But what is with John Payne fronted Asia being nonsense? :lol Aqua, Arena and Aura are better than any of the reunion era albums imo!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 03:03:10 PM »
Nothing wrong with a new thread especially if the previous one was pretty old.  :tup :tup

Anyway, I am a big fan of the first Asia album.  Just one great song after another.  :coolio

I don't go hog wild over the comeback albums, but they did yield some excellent tunes like Holy War and An Extraordinary Life.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 03:54:52 PM »
I searched for an Asia thread for the last couple days and couldn't find anything (search function only came up with passing mentions in Yes threads, and AvantASIA threads, of course). So regardless, sounds like a good time for a new thread :)

@Polarbear: I was excited to get into the Payne albums, but oh man, I do not like *any* of them. I thought it was a fluke when I bought Aria and was disappointed with it, but all of them, they do nothing for me. Totally different band completely unworthy of the Asia moniker compared with the first two albums and the 'comeback' ones with the old lineup. The 'true' albums as I call them all invoke an emotional response in me. The only feelings I get from Payne's are disappointment and boredom.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 05:33:53 PM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 06:14:18 PM »
@Polarbear: I was excited to get into the Payne albums, but oh man, I do not like *any* of them. I thought it was a fluke when I bought Aria and was disappointed with it, but all of them, they do nothing for me. Totally different band completely unworthy of the Asia moniker compared with the first two albums and the 'comeback' ones with the old lineup. The 'true' albums as I call them all invoke an emotional response in me. The only feelings I get from Payne's are disappointment and boredom.

I hear that.  I don't remember anything from the albums without Wetton being memorable at all, although I admittedly didn't give them many listens.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 06:26:19 PM »
The seven albums with Wetton are pretty good, though the first three over the latter four, obviously, but there are some gems on those last four.

The Payne albums are obviously going to be different, but there's still some good tracks here and there. I'll throw them on if I just want some good rock in the background, but I'll agree, if I want to be moved, I'll throw on Asia or Alpha, or even Astra. Those three albums rank as one of my favorite First-Three-Runs of any band.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 01:21:11 AM »

I hear that.  I don't remember anything from the albums without Wetton being memorable at all, although I admittedly didn't give them many listens.

Try listening to "Who Will Stop the Rain" or "Two Sides of the Moon". I don't remember seeing them in Spotify, but I suppose you could find them in Youtube.

There are admittedly some really bad songs on the Payne albums, but some true gems as well! Like the two I mentioned above..

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 09:20:25 AM »
I'm totally with Kattoeloxandbagels on this one.   The first Asia album is special to me in so many ways (that don't have to do with music), and is in my top 10 records ever, even though I personally like the music on Alpha better.   I really liked the reformation records (Bury Me In Willow makes me cry, more often than not) and when John Wetton died it was one of the very few musician deaths that actually affected me (not that I don't care, but these are not really people I "know", and I don't project like that often).   

Having said that, I saw the Payne-Asia at Toad's Place (a small 750 seat club in New Haven, CT) on the tour that Howe played with them, and I have to say, it was a joke.   It really was.  He was wearing this stupid hat that looked kind of like Slash, and it was just comical.   Howe gave them a smattering of gravitas (pun intended) but it wasn't the same.  I was lucky enough to see the original Asia - free concert at Mohegan Sun - and it was a world apart.  Even though Howe was clearly phoning it in, it was SO much better, and Wetton's solo spot on "The Smile Has Left Your Eyes" was jaw-dropping.  I tried to meet the band after (my buddy is a very VERY senior guy in the tribe) just to tell him that, and wasn't able to, but so be it. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 09:28:11 AM »
I don't mind Who Will Stop The Rain (it's inoffensive compared to the rest of that album), but it just doesn't sound like Asia to me. That's weird to say, but yeah, I just don't dig John Payne AT ALL. I do like almost all of Asia's album art though.

Like Stadler enjoys Asia's debut for non-musical reasons, I enjoy Alpha for the same. Something about it... Every single time I play it, I think of winter - I think of winter afternoons, right around the 3:00-4:00 PM hour, where the sun is low and orange-yellow and beams through the windows, with a thin layer of snow outside. I don't know why but it comforts me in a way I can't describe. Specifically "My Own Time" and "Last To Know."

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 12:13:15 PM »
I rather like the JP era albums, I have all of them and for the most they are pretty consistent in quality.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 02:57:16 PM »
I do like the debut a lot but I think I'm the only one in existence who likes Alpha more than Asia.  Regarding the Payne era, it's definitely hit and miss but I love Aria, especially the run from "Feels Like Love" to the end.  That is some top quality stuff right there.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 03:08:24 PM »
I do like the debut a lot but I think I'm the only one in existence who likes Alpha more than Asia.  Regarding the Payne era, it's definitely hit and miss but I love Aria, especially the run from "Feels Like Love" to the end.  That is some top quality stuff right there.

Plenty room in that boat, my friend - hop in. :) It's a far stronger record in every way, I think, except for the production. It's way too quiet and doesn't have much 'oomph' even when cranked to 11, yet the energy is palpable and the melodies stick to the brain like gorilla glue.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 05:02:25 PM »

Plenty room in that boat, my friend - hop in. :) It's a far stronger record in every way, I think, except for the production. It's way too quiet and doesn't have much 'oomph' even when cranked to 11, yet the energy is palpable and the melodies stick to the brain like gorilla glue.
Glad to see I'm not the only one.  Not sure I've ever heard anyone else admit it before.  Partially I love the intensity of the lyrics.  If I ever were to get divorced, I'd play a lot of these tracks at my Divorce Party  :rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 09:10:39 AM »

Glad to see I'm not the only one.  Not sure I've ever heard anyone else admit it before.  Partially I love the intensity of the lyrics.  If I ever were to get divorced, I'd play a lot of these tracks at my Divorce Party  :rollin

No, I'm in there too.  The first has more memories, but I like the music on the second way better.   There's no "Sole Survivor" (my favorite Asia song), but from that point on, everything is solid as a rock.  Like Kattoelocksandkeys says, the melodies... "I was the first one to really know your name; you were the first one for me... you were the first one to ever let me down, and I was just the last to know."    Dammit.  Gives me chills.   "Midnight sun... guiding light!"    I could do this all day.  Or at least ten times.  :)   Actually, 11, since the b-side - Daylight - is just as good as anything on the record. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 01:14:37 PM »
Asia, Alpha and Astra are great. I’ll throw in Aria from the Payne era, love that one.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »
I got to see them on the Alpha tour.  They were great live.  Don't make me type who opened for them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 02:26:47 PM »
Here's the old thread. https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=22401.msg856731#msg856731

Wow, it just kinda stopped, over five years ago (yet I remember it like it was only fours years ago).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 02:35:39 PM »
I got to see them on the Alpha tour.  They were great live.  Don't make me type who opened for them.

Your killing me, now.   Wang Chung?   (I saw them open for The Cars, and MAN did they suck).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 02:37:27 PM »

I'm surprised you typed the headliner.

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 02:44:03 PM »

I'm surprised you typed the headliner.

;D

:lol  *Bitch Slap*

Your killing me, now.   Wang Chung?   (I saw them open for The Cars, and MAN did they suck).

Something to do with a Ferryman........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 02:45:45 PM »
Bryan Ferry

oh no, I mean Chris DeBurgh.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 03:18:09 PM »
the first Asia albums are fantastic, despite the critical despise for them.  Astra was weird, they tried to get a heavier vibe and it seemed a bit disjointed, although I love "Too Late" and "Suspicion".

I tried one of the Payne albums and didn't care for it.  I think I have Archiva as well, probably gave on listen through though.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 05:14:55 PM »

Something to do with a Ferryman........

I was expecting Spandau Ballet. :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 05:42:24 PM »
 :lol

Tim was right.  Chris DeBurgh.  Thankfully, it was before he wrote Lady in Red. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 05:43:33 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 05:48:19 PM »
Dear God! I forget that movie! :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 03:24:53 PM »
:lol

Tim was right.  Chris DeBurgh.  Thankfully, it was before he wrote Lady in Red. :lol

So I hear The Lady In Red quite a bit on my work radio intercom. Now I never really paid attention to it back in the day, nor does it hold any significance to me, but there's something about it that every time I hear it, I am stopped dead in my tracks and just listen. There is no other song that transports me to back to the 80's faster and more effectively than that one.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 07:53:20 PM »
Love the first three Asia albums, Asia In Asia, Live In Moscow, Live in Nottingham.

Only Payne album I have is Aura which is mostly because of the guest musicians. Not a fan of what he brings at all.

Also love the reunion albums (and live albums.)

If there are three of the four originals members in Asia I tend to enjoy all of those.
 Less than that and I don't.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 07:16:41 AM »
Love the first three Asia albums, Asia In Asia, Live In Moscow, Live in Nottingham.

Only Payne album I have is Aura which is mostly because of the guest musicians. Not a fan of what he brings at all.

If there are three of the four originals members in Asia I tend to enjoy all of those.

Looking back on this... if it's not the original four, I generally pass.   Yeah, I have a couple songs that are patchwork (the "Then And Now" disk has one of my favorite Asia songs, "Days Like These", which has Steve Lukather on guitar) but if it's not the four, I'm out.   ESPECIALLY Wetton.  His songwriting in Asia is really underrated.   
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:03:06 AM by Stadler »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 08:34:36 PM »
Of the new songs from Then and Now, I like Prayin' 4 a Miracle a lot, too, although Days Like These is certainly the standout.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2017, 06:52:50 PM »

Looking back on this... if it's not the original four, I generally pass.   Yeah, I have a couple songs that are patchwork (the "Then And Now" disk has one of my favorite Asia songs, "Days Like These", which has Steve Lukather on guitar) but if it's not the four, I'm out.   ESPECIALLY Wetton.  His songwriting in Asia is really underrated.

The only reason I have those songs on the "Now" side is when I picked up the Anthology set  just before the reunion which covers the pre-Payne years.

Never bought them until then. Those are my least favorite Wetton-Asia songs by far. I know there were label pressures but I don't have clue one as to why these got released.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 03:40:04 PM »
Bump. John Wetton passed one year ago yesterday. RIP...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2018, 02:34:31 PM »
Bump. John Wetton passed one year ago yesterday. RIP...

Still remember watching (on you tube) his wife play drums on Heat Of The Moment at the tribute concert. That's going to stay with me a while.