Author Topic: Myles Kennedy Solo Record - Year Of The Tiger  (Read 10019 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Myles Kennedy Solo Record - Year Of The Tiger
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2018, 08:47:28 AM »
^ Awesome review man! Sounds like a great show, and it's awesome that he's literally feeling out the room and changing the set list accordingly, that's really cool.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2018, 08:52:06 AM »
Fucking "Hallelujah"?   Might as well play Stairway to Heaven and Smoke On The Water while you're at it.   :)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2018, 08:56:04 AM »
^ Awesome review man! Sounds like a great show, and it's awesome that he's literally feeling out the room and changing the set list accordingly, that's really cool.

Thanks, yeah, it was pretty cool. He even remarked "you guys want to hear all the hits, give me something different!" And that's when some of the deeper stuff started being asked for.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2018, 09:36:52 AM »
Fucking "Hallelujah"?   Might as well play Stairway to Heaven and Smoke On The Water while you're at it.   :)

Haha, do yourself a favor and search "Myles Kennedy Hallelujah" on YouTube. If you've never heard his rendition of that song before, you're in for a treat. It's fantastic.

Thanks, yeah, it was pretty cool. He even remarked "you guys want to hear all the hits, give me something different!" And that's when some of the deeper stuff started being asked for.

That's seriously awesome, sounds like a great show.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2018, 09:44:35 AM »
I saw him in the show in LA and I had a tremendous time.  I won't bore you guys with the details (I'll probably leave a lengthy post in the AB Nation forums if you want to read everything about my exhausting journey), but it was a fantastic show and I was about in the 5th row of people in the front.  To see that guy really close was an amazing experience.

I heard all three songs from the Second Skin album (Mars Hotel, Eden, White Flag) and they were fantastic.  One person also wanted Summergirl, and Myles stated "One day, one day." and then the person stated "You said that 10 years ago," and Myles responded, "Yeah, well.  10 years ago, I said I wanted to do a solo album and here we are."

He did a Zeppelin cover which was "Going to California" on a resonator guitar and was doing some cool things with the resonator on his lap before the song began.

I do agree, if this guy is somewhere within driving distance near you, I do suggest you go to his solo shows.  At the very least, keep a lookout on solo dates.  Those tickets will be sold fast upon first day of sale (either the fans nab them, or the resellers gets their grubby greedy hands on them).  Those venues are not hard to sell out though around 500 or so people.  I mean AB and Slash played venues like The Wiltern and Hollywood Palladium that fills around 1,500-2,500 people here in the LA area, so I think getting 500 people to see Myles as a solo act should be easy enough to do.  The Troubadour was deemed sold out and it did look like there around 500 people packed. 

Anywho, I think that was it.  I think that was the best concert I have ever to, and I don't think any concert I go to in the future will be this enjoyable as seeing Myles at the Troubadour, last night.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2018, 09:51:38 AM »
^ That's great! I'm glad you had a good experience, I know you are a BIG Myles fan.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »
I saw him in the show in LA and I had a tremendous time.  I won't bore you guys with the details (I'll probably leave a lengthy post in the AB Nation forums if you want to read everything about my exhausting journey), but it was a fantastic show and I was about in the 5th row of people in the front.  To see that guy really close was an amazing experience.

I heard all three songs from the Second Skin album (Mars Hotel, Eden, White Flag) and they were fantastic.  One person also wanted Summergirl, and Myles stated "One day, one day." and then the person stated "You said that 10 years ago," and Myles responded, "Yeah, well.  10 years ago, I said I wanted to do a solo album and here we are."

He did a Zeppelin cover which was "Going to California" on a resonator guitar and was doing some cool things with the resonator on his lap before the song began.

I do agree, if this guy is somewhere within driving distance near you, I do suggest you go to his solo shows.  At the very least, keep a lookout on solo dates.  Those tickets will be sold fast upon first day of sale (either the fans nab them, or the resellers gets their grubby greedy hands on them).  Those venues are not hard to sell out though around 500 or so people.  I mean AB and Slash played venues like The Wiltern and Hollywood Palladium that fills around 1,500-2,500 people here in the LA area, so I think getting 500 people to see Myles as a solo act should be easy enough to do.  The Troubadour was deemed sold out and it did look like there around 500 people packed. 

Anywho, I think that was it.  I think that was the best concert I have ever to, and I don't think any concert I go to in the future will be this enjoyable as seeing Myles at the Troubadour, last night.

Great post. Cool. Glad you got to hear all the M4 stuff he was doing. I'm a huge fan as well. It was such a great show. I really hope he gets another opportunity to do this again. He mentioned at our show how much he liked doing it, but I got the vibe he knows his schedule is packed moving forward, so he knows it may be a while before he can go out again like this.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2018, 07:59:22 PM »
I saw him in Nashville this weekend. Sold out show (venue claims a 600-person capacity). He was simply outstanding, and he was both charming and hilarious while interacting with the crowd.

Early in the set, there was a bee buzzing around near his head, and he mentioned that he's very afraid of bees, and that there's a video floating around the internet of him freaking out over one on stage. So he was trying to avoid this one, and also making fun of himself, until he finally realized it was just a fly. Shortly thereafter it started buzzing around his head again in the middle of a song, and he couldn't hold it together, he just started laughing and had to pause for a moment and collect himself. It was great. :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2018, 08:06:38 PM »
Just heard this album tonight. Good stuff, a few standout tracks for sure which is great on the first listen. What a voice!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2018, 01:26:24 AM »
Just heard this album tonight. Good stuff, a few standout tracks for sure which is great on the first listen. What a voice!

Glad you enjoyed it so much on your first listen! It's still in constant rotation for me. Love this album

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2018, 09:39:11 AM »
Amazing cover. Pretty safe to say that Myles is my favorite vocalist at the moment. Too bad none of his solo shows are anywhere close to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhH7BOBcI3g

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2018, 09:41:12 AM »

Glad you enjoyed it so much on your first listen! It's still in constant rotation for me. Love this album

Yeah, it was really nice. Turning Stones and One Fine Day were my favorites, so I think I'll give it a few more plays, it's a 'maybe' purchase for me after one spin.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2018, 09:47:06 AM »
Kattoelox,

Search out Mayfield Four: Second Skin. Myles' band before Alter Bridge.

It is really hard to affordably find on CD (I was lucky to nab a copy at 20 bucks about five years ago, but now it is much higher), as they are out of print. But grab it digitally or listen on spotify. Tracks to focus on: Mars Hotel, White Flag, Summergirl, Sick and Wrong, Eden.

You're welcome.  :tup

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2018, 09:48:21 AM »
Kattoelox,

It is really hard to affordably find on CD (I was lucky to nab a copy at 20 bucks about five years ago, but now it is much higher), as they are out of print. But grab it digitally or listen on spotify. Tracks to focus on: Mars Hotel, White Flag, Summergirl, Sick and Wrong, Eden.

Thank you - making a note of it now  :biggrin:

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2018, 11:12:58 AM »
Kattoelox,

Thank you - making a note of it now  :biggrin:

I try not to steer you wrong!  :)

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2018, 12:35:42 PM »
Yeah those two Mayfield Four records were fantastic. While I love everything he’s done with Alter Bridge....his vocals with the instruments stripped down is where he truly shines.

I also recommend Don’t Walk Away, 12/31, and Forfeit from their first album, Fallout

EDIT: They also do a Marvin Gaye cover of Inner City Blues that is quite wonderful

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2018, 01:28:25 PM »
Yeah those two Mayfield Four records were fantastic. While I love everything he’s done with Alter Bridge....his vocals with the instruments stripped down is where he truly shines.

I also recommend Don’t Walk Away, 12/31, and Forfeit from their first album, Fallout

EDIT: They also do a Marvin Gaye cover of Inner City Blues that is quite wonderful

This. So much this. When it comes to the Mayfield Four, definitely start with the second record (Second Skin). The songwriting is a little better and the production quality is much better than the first record. That said, on Fallout (their first record) Accelerando is 100% correct - Don't Walk Away, 12/31 and Forfeit are amazing songs. I'd throw in Big Verb and Overflow as well. I'm not afraid to admit that I've balled my eyes out to several songs on that record. It brought me through several very tough years in my life.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2018, 10:01:39 AM »
Mini Doc on the making of Year of the Tiger -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZHxTQ6GjJY

Really worth the watch, there's a part about half way through about a guitar, Myles' dad and a cool connection that got me straight up misty eyed.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2018, 11:30:53 PM »
Anyone going to the show tonight, Highline Ballroom?

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2018, 01:59:58 AM »
Mini Doc on the making of Year of the Tiger -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZHxTQ6GjJY

Really worth the watch, there's a part about half way through about a guitar, Myles' dad and a cool connection that got me straight up misty eyed.

This is great! I had no idea Zia played drums for this record until I watched this. I loved his drumming on the Mayfield Four albums, and his work on Myles's solo album is also top notch. I also had no idea Elvis Baskette was the engineer for Second Skin.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2018, 07:09:21 AM »
This is great! I had no idea Zia played drums for this record until I watched this. I loved his drumming on the Mayfield Four albums, and his work on Myles's solo album is also top notch. I also had no idea Elvis Baskette was the engineer for Second Skin.

Yup, that's how the connection with AB started, he met Myles as the engineer of Second Skin.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »
No one is going to see him in NY  tonight? 

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2018, 01:31:17 PM »

If you've got some flight miles, I'd be happy to join you  :biggrin:

My bro saw him in Atlanta last week and brought me a sweet shirt and autographed mini-poster  :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2018, 02:38:06 PM »

Unfortunately he's not coming anywhere near Pittsburgh  :'(

I'd go in a heartbeat if I were you though, the chance to get to see Myles like this, in this type of setting - pretty cool.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2018, 05:48:00 PM »
I’m here.  Place is badass.   Al Pitrelli is playing guitar for the girl opening up.    She’s butchering me and bobby McGee right now (she’s great but she’s doing the Janis version which I hate). 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2018, 07:08:51 AM »
I’m here.  Place is badass.   Al Pitrelli is playing guitar for the girl opening up.    She’s butchering me and bobby McGee right now (she’s great but she’s doing the Janis version which I hate).

How was Myles? I'd love to hear your thoughts Stads.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2018, 02:02:49 PM »
Sorry; late night.  I drove back from NYC last night and decided to sleep in this morning.

I've already talked about Chloe Lowery.  Charming woman, good singer; opted to scream a little too much (high registers were a little shrill) but she was good.   I just wish she didn't introduce Me And Bobby McGee as a "Janis" song.   GRRRRRR.

Myles.  First, the place was neat; seats surround the floor area, and there is a balcony at the back and to one side of the stage (Selena was up there for most of the show, with local legend Jimmy Webb).   I was right in the center, about 10 rows back.  I had to move because two douchebags were talking about god fucking knows what through the entire show.   Idiots.   He came out about 8:30 and played straight through until about 10:30.   I thought the setlist was good; from other shows there weren't any surprises in song choice, but certainly seeing "Going To California" or "The Trooper" on setlist.fm doesn't prepare you for what you get. "Going..." was so good, and perfectly captured the hypnotic side of the song.   The songs he played from "Year..." were AWE.  SOME.   "Turning Stones" and "Haunted By Design" are my two favorite songs off the album.    The Alter Bridge songs.... Aahhh.    I've been sort of getting into AB a little bit lately, and when they're good, they're very good, but they just sound so SAMEY to me, compared with Slash et al.    And honestly, the several AB songs he played did nothing to change that.    Acoustically, they still are somewhat... same-y when compared to what he did on his solo record and the covers he picked.  I won't spoil it but cute little story about him and Selena being in South Africa and finding a scorpion, and a little musical accompaniment to bookend "Turning Stones". 

I think, though, that it's rare to see someone that capable, that talented in a setting like that, and for that alone it was an amazing experience.   Two stories to highlight that idea:  during Staring At The Sun, he  was singing, the crowd was excited (it was the second song) and he just sang a line and then said "HANDS!" and immediately 700 people had their hands in the air.  He was in total command at that point.   Later, during Starlight, he sang it beautifully, and for the chorus, he kind of kept to the lower register, and I was all "okay, it's mellow, it's acoustic, don't need bombast, and plus he's got 2, 3 more hours, right?"    Then for the last two repeats of the chorus he aired out that voice and it gave me chills.  It really did.   Just him, a guitar, and his music and it was so powerful.   

(SIDEBAR ONE:  NY blows; I had two Tito's and soda, splash of ginger ale, in a rocks glass (so not a double) and... $36 bucks.  GTFO.)
(SIDEBAR TWO:  I fell for the oldest scam in the book, and honestly, it's bothered me a little and I won't lie, threatened to sour the experience a little.  So, shows over at 10:30.  I go pee (because I didn't have time to before the show started).  I went and bought a shirt (I rarely do, but $25 for a hoodie with "MYLES KENNEDY  YEAR OF THE TIGER", not bad).  I watched Jimmy Webb act like a rock star.  Finally I went outside and lo and behold, there's Myles' van, and the road manager and two roadies were loading up the truck.   I watched a little, helped a little, talked to the road manager a bit.  One guy with kids asked and the RM said "He's meeting with friends; he'll be out when he's out, but it's early so don't hold your breath."  Then Webb comes out and walks down the block the other way, and what was about 25 people dwindled down to about 4 or 5 people, TOPS.   Then this other guy - also a roadie (who had been packing the truck) all of a sudden comes up to three of us, waiting by the truck and starts in on "Myles this" and "Myles that" and "what did you think of the setlist" and "what do you think about him touring with a band (he's going to Europe with the YOTT band this summer)" blah blah blah, and I notice he's looking at the road manager.  I figured "that's his boss and he's bullshitting so..."  Then in mid sentence, he looks over at the road manager, who nods, he looks back at us and says "night guys!" jumps in the van with the other two and took off.   About 30 second later, this other guy - who had been out with us and had a poster with him - comes strolling by and says "you missed him.  While you guys were being distracted by the roadie, he snuck out the side door, and literally just walked down the side walk with his wife.  I caught him on the corner."   I felt really stupid. I've calmed down a little and now I realize that it's not just about him. He's with his wife, he can't really just hang out on sidewalks in NYC all night.   But still; there were 4 of us; it didn't need to be handled like moving the President through London.)   
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:13:57 AM by Stadler »

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
Dude, I'm super jelly  :tup

For 15 years, I've known in my heart of hearts that Myles is a GOD amongst mortals in musical talent. For someone that appears to be rather intelligent, it's nice to see that you've still got room to learn  :biggrin:.

Regarding your idea that it's rare to see that talent in that type of setting, and also your second side bar... I saw Reign of Kindo in a small club a few years ago here in Jax, I counted 44 people, and at the end the singer says, "We're gonna be hanging around after the show if anyone wants to hang out." Maybe 10 people stuck around, a few girls chatting up the drummer who they obviously had a crush on, and my bro and me talking with the lead guitarist, singer, and keyboard player. Eventually the guitarist says, "So what's going on tonight guys?" I replied, "It's Tuesday night in Jacksonville, not a whole lot..."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2018, 06:52:42 AM »
Awesome write up Stads, thanks for that. Sounds like a killer show!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2018, 12:31:43 PM »
I gave this album a spin. Well, first off, I'm not a big fan of Alter Bridge (I wouldn't be able to name any of the musicians except Myles), I only know Blackbird (the album) and I basically only like the title track (I really love that track). I tried to listen to the whole album, and my attention kept slipping away, to be honest.

Well, this album is very different. I didn't pay a lot of attention during the listening, but I must say, The Great Beyond and Love Can Only Heal stood out big time, and there were some other great tunes too. I'm going to spin this one a few times again.

I would say, if I learned this guy is touring my city in a few months, I would've bought the tickets right now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2018, 02:02:36 PM »
I gave this album a spin. Well, first off, I'm not a big fan of Alter Bridge (I wouldn't be able to name any of the musicians except Myles), I only know Blackbird (the album) and I basically only like the title track (I really love that track). I tried to listen to the whole album, and my attention kept slipping away, to be honest.

Well, this album is very different. I didn't pay a lot of attention during the listening, but I must say, The Great Beyond and Love Can Only Heal stood out big time, and there were some other great tunes too. I'm going to spin this one a few times again.

I would say, if I learned this guy is touring my city in a few months, I would've bought the tickets right now.

Do so; if you're expecting a big Alter Bridge arena show, you will be sadly mistaken; it's very much in keeping with the personal nature of the solo record. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2018, 09:45:36 AM »

Do so; if you're expecting a big Alter Bridge arena show, you will be sadly mistaken; it's very much in keeping with the personal nature of the solo record.

I would, except I don't think Alter Bridge or Myles ever came to where I live. :) But hey, that's fine.

The album is actually very good, I was spinning it again today. Beautiful piece of work, and it feels very personal too, as you said. Probably going to stay in my rotation for a while.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2018, 09:52:38 AM »
The album is actually very good, I was spinning it again today. Beautiful piece of work, and it feels very personal too, as you said. Probably going to stay in my rotation for a while.

Glad you are liking it, it's definitely a super personal record for Myles. If you haven't dug into the meaning and story behind the album, I'd encourage you to do so. It'll grow your appreciation I think, it did for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2018, 12:15:54 PM »
This is to Evermind:  I don't know that I would go see Alter Bridge; I have a number of their records - two live, two studio - and while Myles is a beast, and Mark is a good - not great - guitar player, it just seems same-y to me.  A lot of the songs have that sort of "growling" chug on the E string (think Bumblefoot's riff on... either Coming Home or Signs of the Time, I forget which, which should  tell you all you need to know right there) that's not my go-to.   But his work with  Slash and solo is out of this world (and according to the roadie that dusted me, he  and Slash WILL be  doing another record in the fall). 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2018, 01:31:01 PM »
This is to Evermind:  I don't know that I would go see Alter Bridge; I have a number of their records - two live, two studio - and while Myles is a beast, and Mark is a good - not great - guitar player, it just seems same-y to me.  A lot of the songs have that sort of "growling" chug on the E string (think Bumblefoot's riff on... either Coming Home or Signs of the Time, I forget which, which should  tell you all you need to know right there) that's not my go-to.   But his work with  Slash and solo is out of this world (and according to the roadie that dusted me, he  and Slash WILL be  doing another record in the fall).

AB needs a different producer. They have used the same one for the last 3-4 records I believe.

I think Myles confirmed that the record is done or that he already recorded vocals for it.