Author Topic: Myles Kennedy Solo Record - Year Of The Tiger  (Read 10020 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Myles Kennedy Solo Record - Year Of The Tiger
« on: December 01, 2017, 11:04:43 AM »
We've been discussing this in the Alter Bridge thread, but with more details now coming out, I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Myles Kennedy's solo record, Year of the Tiger, has been scheduled to come out March 9, 2018.

Track list:

1 Year Of The Tiger
2 The Great Beyond
3 Blind Faith
4 Devil On The Wall
5 Ghost of Shangri La
6 Turning Stones
7 Haunted By Design
8 Mother
9 Nothing But A Name
10 Love Can Only Heal
11 Songbird
12 One Fine Day

Track list and release date source - https://shop.napalmrecords.com/myleskennedy

Myles also launched his own website - https://myleskennedy.com/

Tons of great stuff on there, in particular in the "About" section, Myles goes into additional detail about the record:
MYLES KENNEDY
YEAR OF THE TIGER

Myles Kennedy had finished his first solo album. Then he threw it away.

“I had been working on a record for about seven years,” says the singer/songwriter known worldwide as the voice of Alter Bridge and of Slash’s band, Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators. “It was actually finished two years ago, but when I listened to it with a fresh perspective, when all was said and done, I thought it wasn’t the right first step to take in this journey—its shelf life had expired.”

So he started over, and found himself “writing like a madman.” More than twenty songs spilled out in a short period of time, and as Kennedy listened to his work, he began to comprehend the direction in which the music was pulling him. “It became incredibly obvious what the source of inspiration needed to be lyrically,” he says. “I realized it was time to jump head-first into something I’ve been putting off for my whole life as a writer.”

What eventually emerged was Year of the Tiger, an album almost entirely focused on the loss of Kennedy’s father when the singer was just four years old. “My family was very involved in the Christian Science church,” he says. “So when he became ill, he chose not to seek medical attention, and passed away a few months later. By all accounts, my father was a good, honest man, but I still struggle with the choices he made which ultimately led to his death.

“This was something I had wanted to dive into throughout my career,” Kennedy continues. “It just took decades to muster up the courage. Beneath the surface, the wounds were pretty raw, but it just had to be done.”

Delving into this emotional territory required a musical approach far different from the hard rock that has defined Kennedy’s arena-filling career. The majority of the record was written on acoustic or resonator guitar and recorded directly to tape using a limited number of tracks. Kennedy himself plays banjo, lap steel, bass, and mandolin in addition to guitar on Year of the Tiger, joined by drummer Zia Uddin and Tim Tournier on bass, along with longtime Alter Bridge producer Michael “Elvis” Baskette.

“I’ve always wanted to make a record where I could have the opportunity to explore and document a different element of my musical DNA,” he says, citing his love for the blues, R&B, and acoustic based music and listing such influences as Mississippi John Hurt, Chris Whitley, K.D Lang, Nick Drake and the acoustic songs on Led Zeppelin 3 and 4. “I was trying to tap into something a little more subtle, as opposed to a big, bombastic, high gain sonic attack.”

With the production and arrangements, too, Kennedy began with what he didn’t want, which was anything that felt too processed and slick. “I wanted this recording to be about the vocal, so we kept the instruments arranged in a way so that my voice would be dominant in the mix,” he says. “The recordings I love aren’t perfect. Going straight to tape, going for the song and the performance, making sure that the lyric is honest and resonates with you—the way to capture that is not to suck the life out of it. They call it wabi-sabi in Japanese culture, the idea of embracing beauty in imperfection.”

Even as a singer, Kennedy—three-time winner of Loudwire’s Vocalist of the Year award—was determined to explore a new range and approach. “I was trying to keep things in a lower register,” he says, “not relying on the vocal histrionics that I fall back on in a rock context. On this sonic canvas, I didn’t want to distract the listener from the depth of the song, what was paramount was how the lyric was conveyed emotionally.”

The album found its initial direction from the title track, which was an idea from Kennedy’s first pass writing a solo album. “I remember stumbling onto the melody and title of the song years ago. It stuck with me but I couldn’t seem to complete the concept until it dawned on me that 1974 was the Year Of The Tiger according to the Chinese Zodiac.” he says. “Once I realized that was the same year we lost my father, I knew where I needed to take the record lyrically. The song is really the preface for the entire story from my mother’s perspective. It’s a battle cry of resolution, to persevere under the circumstances we were enduring after dad passed away.”

Kennedy pays tribute to his mother throughout the album. The song “Mother” tries to imagine her experience of the tragedy, fighting to keep things together for Kennedy and his brother. “Turning Stones” represents the singer “trying to get in my mom’s head throughout the difficult journey” while “Ghost of Shangri-La” opens with an image taken directly from his family’s lives in the aftermath of his father’s death.

“The song starts with the line ‘There are thieves outside of our window,’ which was inspired by something that happened to us,” Kennedy explains. “A few weeks after dad passed away, our house was broken into. Ultimately, it served as the catalyst for my mom to uproot us from Boston and move out west and start over again.”

“The Great Beyond” is perhaps the most ambitious song, the grandest in scope, on the album. “That one is probably the least congruent sonically, but it’s so epic in nature that it felt appropriate because of it’s subject matter,” he says. “It describes my father’s passing with surreal imagery from a lyrical standpoint. It was perhaps the most challenging lyric to write, and perform, but it is a very necessary part of the story.”

With Year of the Tiger, Myles Kennedy opens himself up in ways that would be painfully, shockingly personal and intimate for anyone, much less for a revered rock and roll frontman. “Songs like ‘Blind Faith’ or ‘Nothing But a Name’ are almost like open letters to my father, expressing an ache that’s never subsided,” he says. “This record is my attempt to convey things that I’ve needed to express for a long time. What I found hiding in the deep, dark corners of my psyche was difficult to face, but in the end, what came out of the creative process was very cathartic.”

He also has pre-orders up for merch like CD's, t-shirts, bundles, etc...

https://myleskennedy.com/collections/more

He clearly looks like he has the intention of touring to support the record in some way. He has meet and greet and VIP passes up for order to support the project.

I'm very excited for this one, everything about it seems like exactly what I would want from Myles. Discuss!

Online Anguyen92

Re: Myles Kennedy Solo Record - Year Of The Tiger
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:17:32 PM »
I, for one, am really excited for this.  For those that have followed this guy in the last x amount of years, we been all wondering what he can do by himself as a solo entity.

The greatest takeaway from this is that he has expressed widely that this album will not have that big bombastic sound that his main bands with Alter Bridge and Slash bring which will be to his benefit for this album.  If this album sounds better than The Last Hero, and The Year of the Tiger has Elvis as the producer as well, then AB may have to rethink how their next album will sound sonically.

From what I've read in the about page, the lyrical content that The Year of The Tiger may bring is pretty chilling.

I may get that shirt with the tiger on front and CD bundle.  The design looks all right to me.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 12:26:12 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
From what I've read in the about page, the lyrical content that The Year of The Tiger may bring is pretty chilling.

It's the year of the tiger
It's the thrill of the fight

I'll show myself out.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 12:55:21 PM »
I, for one, am really excited for this.  For those that have followed this guy in the last x amount of years, we been all wondering what he can do by himself as a solo entity.

The greatest takeaway from this is that he has expressed widely that this album will not have that big bombastic sound that his main bands with Alter Bridge and Slash bring which will be to his benefit for this album.  If this album sounds better than The Last Hero, and The Year of the Tiger has Elvis as the producer as well, then AB may have to rethink how their next album will sound sonically.

Yup, I agree about looking forward to hearing Myles in a more, stripped back setting. I love AB dearly, and really liked the albums Myles has done with Slash, but I think a lot of folks are hoping this album provides a throw back to Mayfield Four-era vocals from Myles. After reading on his site a little more about the album, I'm thinking we might get that.

You also bring up a good point about Elvis. Based on what we know about the style and direction of the album, the instruments used, the fact that it was recorded to tape, the fact that they intentional went for a stripped back sound, and the fact that Myles didn't want a lot of layers - I'd say that this album is going to sound so different from TLH (as it should, really) that it might be hard to say one sounds better than the other. It sounds like two instances of striving for two different goals.

Yeah, I'm expecting some heavy, emotional stuff lyrically. It'll be interesting to see how he comes at it, since he was 4 when his father passed, I'm sure he doesn't remember everything completely.

I may get that shirt with the tiger on front and CD bundle.  The design looks all right to me.

Yeah the bundles all look great, I too like the shirt with the tiger. I think I'll definitely order a CD signed by Myles if not some more stuff.

It's the year of the tiger
It's the thrill of the fight

I'll show myself out.

:lol

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 03:50:51 AM »
Pre-ordered the shirt and CD! Im so excited for this!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 08:45:54 AM »
My anticipation of this is unbridled.   I got into him with Slash, and though I strongly prefer his Slash material over AB - the AB seems so... one dimensional to me, I'm sorry to say - this is the Myles I love best.   I don't care for the bombastic metal Myles.  I like the epic Myles - Cry of Achilles (I say, to be fair), Starlight, Standing In The Sun, Not For Me - and I feel like this is going to be closer to that.   

My heart breaks over the story - I can only imagine what it's like to carry that for 40 years - but I'm all in on this. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 09:09:37 AM »
^ Stads have you ever heard Myles' old band The Mayfield Four? Still definitely a rock group but leaning more towards the moodier, less metal stuff. I'm thinking this solo record will be more in that vein.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 09:34:38 AM »
As of now this is probably my most anticipated release of 2018. Myles is one of, if not my favorite, singer at the moment. I'm expecting this to be an automatic album of the year contender.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
I've heard OF them, I haven't heard any of the music.  Is it available?   

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
I've heard OF them, I haven't heard any of the music.  Is it available?

Physical CDs are probably hard to find. They released two albums as a band, both are on Spotify. I'm sure YouTube as well.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 09:45:09 AM »
As of now this is probably my most anticipated release of 2018. Myles is one of, if not my favorite, singer at the moment. I'm expecting this to be an automatic album of the year contender.

That's pretty much where I am on this, as well.   

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 09:49:11 AM »

That's pretty much where I am on this, as well.

Agreed.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 11:59:42 AM »
Teaser video for the record -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlLyYCuqMek

The first single and video hits Friday!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 01:24:34 PM »
That was the ultimate tease. Can't wait till Friday though March 9th is going to be a long wait.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 01:29:32 PM »
That was the ultimate tease. Can't wait till Friday though March 9th is going to be a long wait.

Agreed, and I'm glad he's getting music out there soon with the single dropping this early. He has a lot of cool merch to pre-order on his site to support the project, and people are more inclined to pre-order stuff when they actually hear some music first.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »
Holy crap; "teaser" isn't kidding.   Man. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 02:18:05 PM »

Yeah, WTF was that?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 02:46:40 PM »

Yeah, WTF was that?

Umm.. a teaser...?  :lol

A super teasy teaser!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 02:42:36 AM »
Year of the Tiger is officially on iTunes! I'm digging it!

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/year-of-the-tiger/1315586489

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 07:26:34 AM »
Yea! The single is on Spotify as well.

I really like it, it's stripped back and simple. There's some nice banjo or something going on throughout, some slide stuff - pretty cool!

EDIT - YouTube video is up too -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3L9_6aJi2Q

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 09:56:06 PM »
I like the Americana vibe.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 10:39:46 AM »
While he's a technically good singer, there's something about his voice that throws me off. Glad he's made a good career though..  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 12:07:58 PM »
Really like the song! Sounds like a great opener what I'm assuming is going to be a great album! Going to be a long wait to March.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 12:10:34 PM »
While he's a technically good singer, there's something about his voice that throws me off. Glad he's made a good career though..  :coolio

Too much awesomeness?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 11:21:34 AM »
BUMP

Video teaser of another track on the record (45 seconds of the song):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErhutESVfCU

Really, really liking what I'm hearing, this should be a very cool record.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 11:23:49 PM »
Haunted By Design is out now on Spotify and probably other streaming outlets.

Sounds like a very eerie sounding song when it came to the lyrics. Of course, it's really good. It's sounds very southern rock to me and he did use a banjo as the rhythm part during the solo.  It had a Big Wreck feel to it. I like it.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 07:20:11 AM »
Just downloaded it. Also just realized that this album and the new BTBAM will come out on the same day.  :metal

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 07:30:13 AM »
Really dig the new track. I can tell this album is going to be great. We're not even 3 week into January and I know 2018 is going to be a great year of music. Especially compared to last year.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 10:52:59 AM »
Haunted By Design is out now on Spotify and probably other streaming outlets.

Sounds like a very eerie sounding song when it came to the lyrics. Of course, it's really good. It's sounds very southern rock to me and he did use a banjo as the rhythm part during the solo.  It had a Big Wreck feel to it. I like it.

Yeah I really like the track as well. Very Americana sounding.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 10:19:52 PM »
Well, another song is out.  Devil on the Wall.  Be forewarn though, after the 30 second mark, Myles has gone full country in this one.  Don't worry, though, it's still loads better then the majority of the tripe that is country nowadays.  Probably the most upbeat song he's been a part of since The Dissident song that he did with Slash and the Conspirators.

All I can say, whatever expectations and sound you may think Myles will go just because we've been waiting 9 years for him to release a standalone solo album. Don't expect that at all. Then again, it's the solo album. Myles can do whatever the heck he wants and go way left field than what he's done with AB and Slash and I think he's done that so far, but I think he still retain the care and quality of music that we love him for.

Those that might like the heavier side of him may not stomach a song like Devil on the Wall though.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2018, 12:56:16 AM »
I'm a blues fan, and I'm really liking what he's doing. There's definitely some country inspiration in this piece, but it's the good elements of country. At least he didn't go Bro-Country.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2018, 06:45:44 AM »
Just like every genre of music there is good and bad country. I loved the first two tracks but I'm not going to listen to anything else until the whole album is out.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2018, 02:58:11 PM »
I'm a blues fan, and I'm really liking what he's doing. There's definitely some country inspiration in this piece, but it's the good elements of country. At least he didn't go Bro-Country.

My thoughts exactly, I liked it as well. This is what I wanted from him, something drastically different to show the other elements that have inspired him as a musician.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 08:47:16 AM »
Just like every genre of music there is good and bad country. I loved the first two tracks but I'm not going to listen to anything else until the whole album is out.

I actually LOVE what they call "outlaw country".  I think Waylon Jennings is every bit as cool as James Hetfield.    I don't know that I want that from Myles, but an introspective, singer-songwriter set would work just fine (FYI, I haven't listened to even one song yet.  Buying the record sight unheard.)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »
I can dig this. By coincidence, I've been getting into alt country like Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson as of late. Not minding the country vibe at all.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .