Author Topic: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (10-6)  (Read 3348 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (10-6)
« on: December 01, 2017, 06:12:50 AM »
I did this a few years ago with my bottom 25. Not doing the bottom this year, because I don't want to glorify awfulness. But my top 100 has significantly changed in the last few years. I've heard suggestions and have made changes accordingly. New music has come out and I've made changes accordingly... My tastes have evolved and... I... have... made changes... according..ly. Anyway, I'm going to post 5 a day for the next 20 days so you can all enjoy the wonderful music. I'll post the top 5 when I'm on plan at work.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 07:19:49 PM by splent »
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 06:15:05 AM »
Looking forward to it, Splent!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (100-96)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 11:21:12 AM »
Here we go! Click the song to get the link.

100. Nelson Rangell - Let it Snow

So. I'm a huge nerd. 3 years ago when we went to Disney I heard this song at Epcot and I thought it sounded odd but I couldn't stop thinking about it. I SoundHounded it and here it is. I am glad I did. This is a very high flute... it's not a piccolo, just a very bright high flute, I believe. But the guy is nuts. That combined with the late 80s/early 90s synths just make it smooth and so it's a guilty pleasure.

99. Julie Andrews - Deck the Halls

Um. It's Julie Andrews. This was on some compilation that we had when I was a kid and it's always been a favorite of mine.

98. Sam Smith - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

I really like Sam Smith's smooth soulful voice. This fits it perfectly.

97. Deniece Williams - Do You Hear What I Hear

Another late 80s entry. Another one I grew up with. Another favorite. I enjoy this because it IS NOT traditional... she adds an R&B flair to it and changes the melody slightly enough to make it different than many other renditions of this repetative song.

96. Darlene Love - Christmas Baby Please Come Home

Wall of Sound is some of my favorite music and this is no exception.

------------------

See you guys tomorrow!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 12:18:40 PM »
Good list, if just a tad too far on the smooth/traditional arrangement side for me. My favorite of your selections was the Darlene Love one.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 01:35:02 PM »
Splent, I admire your appreciation for Christmas music, I couldn't name 25 Christmas songs off the top of my head - and I am not counting multiple versions by different artists. I mean 25 Christmas songs total. Will be following.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:36:15 PM »
Hey, Splent, is your top 100 going to all be unique songs? Or can we expect the same tunes with different artists and/or arrangements? I ask because I was going to post alternate takes on the tunes you've listed but thought I'd better ask about your intentions first.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 03:37:56 PM »
So there's going to actually be 100 songs? Wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 03:39:58 PM »
That's kinda how top 100's work, buddy!  :-*

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 06:26:20 PM »
Hey, Splent, is your top 100 going to all be unique songs? Or can we expect the same tunes with different artists and/or arrangements? I ask because I was going to post alternate takes on the tunes you've listed but thought I'd songsask about your intentions first.

I try to make it as unique as possible, but there are some same tunes/different arrangements.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (95-91)
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 06:44:58 PM »
95. Jars of Clay - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

It's kind of standard, but this type of style works so well with this song. The band re-did it on their Christmas album a few years ago but I like this version from the 90s better.

94. NSync - Merry Christmas Happy Holidays

NSync's Christmas album is actually quite good. This is quite poppy but it's different enough from the music you usually hear on the Christmas station.

93. The Ronettes - Sleigh Ride

So, Sleigh Ride is the song with the most entries on the list. Just to give you a heads up. But I've always liked this version.

92. Annie Lennox - Angels From The Realms of Glory

I love Annie Lennox because she does her own thing. This song is no different.

91. Roberta Flack - What Child Is This

Roberta Flack's version was on yet another compilation that my family listened to constantly when I was growing up. Light and mellow.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 07:46:43 PM »
That's kinda how top 100's work, buddy!  :-*

:natalieportman:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 08:17:19 PM »
Hey, Splent, is your top 100 going to all be unique songs? Or can we expect the same tunes with different artists and/or arrangements? I ask because I was going to post alternate takes on the tunes you've listed but thought I'd songsask about your intentions first.

I try to make it as unique as possible, but there are some same tunes/different arrangements.

Okay. I'll offer up my favorite alternate takes on the songs at the end of your list then.

---------------------------------

Loved the Jars of Clay selection and was intrigued by the NSync tune. Mrs. P thought the NSync belongs in our rotation but I'm not so sure.

Loved, loved The Ronettes - Sleigh Ride and of course Annie Lennox (who's entire Christmas album is in regular rotation on the house stereo this time of year)

I had never heard the Roberta Flack - What Child Is This and I was just floored by it. Mega chill inducing and so beautiful. I'm of to see if I can get it for my collection. :tup

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (95-91)
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 08:31:28 AM »
90. Steve Taylor - Winter Wonderland

Steve Taylor is basically Christian music's renegade... meaning he was doing things in Christian music that no one else was doing at the time. I mean... Christian new wave?!? Satirical lyrics!? Anyways, this appeared on another compilation I grew up with. A mariachi version??? And it oddly works.

89. Trucker Diablo - We're Gonna Rock This Christmas

This was one of those songs that someone recommended to me in the thread on the forum, and I really enjoy it, a lot better than many rock versions of Christmas music.

88. Enya - White is in the Winter Night

You know me, I love me some Enya. This is a great original holiday song. And it's traditional Enya.

87. Owl City feat. Toby Mac - Light of Christmas

I really like this song. I mean, part of it was when my daughter was SUPER into Veggie Tales and then I watched the video and I really dug the song. The energy level of it is through the roof.

86. Tori Amos - Holly, Ivy, and Rose

This duet features Tori and her daughter, Tash, singing a combination of Lo How A Rose Ere Blooming and The Holly and the Ivy. These two songs work so well together. And you know that the two loved singing with each other.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (90-86)
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 10:06:26 AM »
Steve Taylor and Tori Amos were my favorites from this group. I have the Enya album And Winter Came... so that selection was familiar to me.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (85-81)
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »
Posting early because I'll be too busy to do it tomorrow.

85. Ella Fitzgerald - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

I always love Ella, and I also love how she uses the original lyrics that were used by Judy Garland in Meet me in St. Louis.

84. Erasure - Gaudete

Gaudete is a traditional choral carol so it's interesting to see Erasure putting their synthpop spin on it.

83. Bad Religion - Hark the Herald Angels Sing

Bad Religion's Christmas album is very good. They maintain the essence of the carol while putting in their own punk spin on it. Love it.

82. Barbra Streisand - Jingle Bells?

OKOKOK... before you balk that I put Babs on this list, I love this version because of the constant time signature and tempo changes.

81. Jan Terri - Excuse My Christmas

I LOVE Jan Terri... most of you know this... bad is good... In Spanish they say Feliz Navidad...

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 08:46:30 AM »
84. Erasure - Gaudete

Gaudete is a traditional choral carol so it's interesting to see Erasure putting their synthpop spin on it.

Yeah, Snow Globe is one of my favorite albums for the reason you mention. They don't hold back on applying their style to those songs.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 03:18:46 PM »
Podaar we share a lot of tastes it seems.

https://open.spotify.com/user/12958405/playlist/3aAFaTn8ZrudXmBUlKgWcq?si=2oh83kyaTCCQIyj0UWp8fg

Here is the link to my playlist. I am not going beyond what I’ve shared here. At least not yet.  Some of the tracks are not available on Spotify, so I had to download them from my computer. I don’t think he will have axis to cell if it skips a song that’s why.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (80-76)
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 02:42:06 PM »
80. Manhattan Transfer - Snowfall

The Manhattan Transfer is one of the top vocal jazz groups of all time and this shows why. It's smooth, soulful, peaceful, and sets the mood for the season.

79. Mannheim Steamroller - Hark The Herald Angels Sing

This is the first of many MS tracks on this list. They always are on playlists of mine this time of year.

78. Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters - Jingle Bells

I LOVE The Andrews Sisters and their many songs they did with Bing always set the mood for me.

77. Mary J. Blige and Jessie J - Do You Hear What I Hear

This duet is probably one of the best versions of the song I have ever heard.

76. Amy Grant - Grown Up Christmas List

Like Mannheim Steamroller, it's not a Christmas song list without Amy Grant.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (75-71)
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 12:45:39 PM »
Here are the next five!

75. Apocalyptica - Oh Holy Night

I know this group is known for taking metal and infusing classical with it, especially with the cello. This is nothing like that. It's absolutely beautiful; one of the best versions of this timeless carol. It's warm, tender, and hauntingly beautiful.

74.  Sia - Santa's Coming For Us

The newest entry to my list. This song just came out a couple of months ago. Sia just brings the cheer with a completely original song and I just love it. It's quirky, it's fun, it's catchy!

73. Vince Guaraldi - Skating

Well you NEED to have Charlie Brown on this list.

72. Cast of White Christmas - Snow

This is one of my favorite Christmas movies.

71. Sting - Soul Cake

Obviously with an old folk song Sting can put his own spin on it and make it seem brand new. That is what I love about Sting. He makes everything unique.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 06:46:45 AM »
Manhattan Transfer - Snowfall: Too much like shopping at Macy's for me, but the song itself is very evocative.

Mannheim Steamroller - Hark The Herald Angels Sing: Always love the Mannheims :). Have you ever seen them live?

Mary J. Blige and Jessie J - Do You Hear What I Hear: I thought the instrumentation and arrangement was a bit too traditional but the voices made up for it. I loved the little burst of gospel and wished they would have gone for more of that. Still purchase worthy.

Apocalyptica - Oh Holy Night: Wow, this is fantastic! The execution and mood of this performance is perfect!

Sia - Santa's Coming For Us: I like this a lot! It's going on the purchase list.

Vince Guaraldi - Skating: It wouldn't be Christmas without good ol' Block Head

Sting - Soul Cake: If On A Winter's Night has been a longtime favorite album in my house.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (70-66)
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 10:08:50 AM »
70. The Pretenders - 2000 Miles

A nice different holiday song. It's very well done and has that Christmassy feeling without sounding tacky or typical. A perfect "I miss you on Christmas" song.

69. Eric Whitacre - Lux Aurumque

My first choral entry on this list... as a choir director, you really think I wouldn't include some choral music? This is my favorite Whitacre piece, only because it's hauntingly beautiful... Lux Aurumque is translated to "Light of Gold" and it's so beautiful.

68. Andy Williams - Sleigh Ride

One of the few classics that gets regular airplay on the Christmas radio station that I put on here. I like it because it has that sleigh ride feeling... plus a billion key changes which I always like. That brass on the the chorus as well is somehting I love.

67. The Piano Guys - Angels We Have Heard On High

You need to watch the video for this to get a true appreciation for it. These guys create sounds on the piano that aren't normally created... like bowing the piano strings, or creating percussion by hitting or slapping against different parts. The snare on the piece of paper works surprisingly well.

66. Beach Boys - Little Saint Nick

I always enjoyed this song, but have gained an appreciation for it in the last few years when I became fascinated by the tight harmonies and the composition process the Beach Boys went through with Brian Wilson. Even though they hadn't reached their creative peak yet, there are glimpses of greatness there.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 10:09:53 AM »

Mannheim Steamroller - Hark The Herald Angels Sing: Always love the Mannheims :). Have you ever seen them live?

Unfortunately no! I haven't seen them. I'm sure they are amazing live.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (70-66)
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 01:24:57 PM »
The Piano Guys video was gnarly!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (65-61)
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 01:19:15 PM »
The list continues....

65. Mike Oldfield - In Dulci Jubilo

I didn't know how versatile Oldfield was until I saw this video, as I only knew him from Tubular Bells. This is fantastic, as he plays all the instruments, and takes a classical piece of music and puts a modern twist on it while maintaining historical accuracy. Is that a shawm or some sort of medieval woodwind instrument I hear in there?!?

64. Sheena Easton - It's Christmas All Over The World

OK, a lot of people hated Santa Claus: The Movie but I loved it as a kid. The music is total 80s and another thing to love. New Edition also did a comparable version, but I prefer the original.

63. David Phelps - O Holy Night

Man this guy can wail. Probably one of the most powerful voices on the list.

62. Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLaughlin - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings

A quirky mashup of these two ancient carols that work surprisingly well together. Holy 90s throwback, batman.

61. Jordan Rudess - The Christmas Song

Well OBVIOUSLY I had to include Jordan on this forum. This is hands down my favorite song on his Christmas album.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (60-56)
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 09:23:14 AM »
60. The Carpenters - Merry Christmas Darling

I grew up on this album every year, since The Carpenters were one of the biggest groups when my parents were growing up. That "Merry Christmas Darling" background vocal arpeggiated line after Karen starts the chorus is one of my favorite parts.

59. Sixpence None The Richer - Riu Riu Chiu

Riu Riu Chiu is an old Spanish carol, and I've known it for a long time from choral music. Sixpence takes it and adds a haunting spin on it that really works.

58. NSync - O Holy Night

I was asked to transcribe this in high school for the acapella group we formed and we never performed it. The harmonies are tight, and it has a great vibe to it. The fact that they could sing this live and sound great shows how great this group was. Believe me I looked past the OMG JUSTIN factor.

57. The Beach Boys - The Man With All The Toys

That "OH" background vocal is amazing. Always.

56. Doris Day - Ol' Saint Nicholas

I have always loved Doris Day, and when I discovered this gem I was so happy. It's light and upbeat and caters to her voice so well.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (55-51)
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 10:42:40 AM »
Whoaaaaa we're halfway there....

55.  Tori Amos - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Tori always adds an air of mystery to her music that is just entrancing. I love it.

54. Vince Guaraldi - Christmas Time Is Here

You hear those first couple of chords and you just feel the season. Charlie Brown equals the beginning of the holiday season for me. Which reminds me, I haven't seen it yet this season! Luckily I have it on dvd...

53. Jethro Tull - We Five Kings

YAAAAS. 5/8 time is my second favorite. Pure Tull, adding an almost folky flavor to this traditional tune, Ian going nuts on the flute, and odd meter. Pure prog.

52. Chapter 6 - Hark the Herald Angels Sing

Chapter 6 was an acapella group from the college I went to, Millikin University. They went on to go professional, and now it's kind of on hiatus, although from time to time they get back together. One of the members was on American Idol... anyways, this was my favorite arrangement on their Christmas album. Not that I'm biased or anything...

51. Michael W. Smith - Reve Du Noel

A medley of sorts, with Sing We Now of Christmas, Jesu Joy of Mans Desiring, and Emmanuel. Emmanuel is one of my favorites by Amy Grant, although MWS wrote the song and this arrangement is good too. He's done like 15 different recordings of this song.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 08:20:39 AM »
Still following and listening, thanks Splent.

Of the last three groups, the one that really stands out for me (that I don't already own) is Sixpence None The Richer - Riu Riu Chiu. I love the vibe and it seems like a real good background party music selection.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »
Still following and listening, thanks Splent.

Of the last three groups, the one that really stands out for me (that I don't already own) is Sixpence None The Richer - Riu Riu Chiu. I love the vibe and it seems like a real good background party music selection.

Yay, I was wondering where you were! I know others are following but no one else seems to be commenting.

I'll post 50-46 later today.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
I've been surprised about that too. This is a music forum, after all, and there has been so much fantastic music written about Christmas and other winter festivals.

I visit DTF a lot less on the weekends and post rarely. Throw in all the extra activity during December and weekends with DTF become even more problematic.  :)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 06:17:05 AM »
Sorry for the delay. The last couple of days have been super busy for me. I am being evaluated this morning at school, so I will post this afternoon.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (50-46)
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2017, 09:51:06 AM »
I'll post three times today. Here's the first 5, which should've been posted on Monday.

50. Mannheim Steamroller - Deck the Halls

The first thing you hear on the first MS album. I grew up with this album so this has a lot of sentimental feeling to me, and it starts the whole series with a bang. Love it.

49. The Drifters - White Christmas

It's almost humorous, because we associate this with Home Alone and The Santa Clause. I still love it. Gives me a smile every time.

48. Little River Band - Mary's Boy Child

This was released on a compilation raising money for a children's hospital or something, but I first heard it on the radio in high school. It has a different feel than the carribbean feel that the song usually has, and I love it for that because it focuses on the story rather than the genre.

47. Andra Day - Winter Wonderland

What a soulful version of this song. I love Andra Day's voice.

46. Daryl Stuermer - Little Drummer Boy

Daryl Stuermer is one of those guitarists that is vastly underrated. His version of Little Drummer Boy is great.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (45-41)
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2017, 12:34:26 PM »
Here's yesterday's list.

45. Jon Anderson - Save All Your Love

3 Ships is one of my favorite Christmas albums. This is one of his original works. I'm actually putting the reprise because it's the longer version of the two that are on the album.

44. Julian Casablancas - Christmas Treat

You know this song if you watch SNL. I'm going to post the SNL version as well, but Casablancas took it and made it his own.\
Heres the SNL version: https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/horatios-christmas-treat/3634762

43. Amy Grant - Hark The Herald Angels Sing

One of my favorite versions of this song. It's basic and to the point but as with others I grew up with it and it's close to my heart.

42. Kay Thompson - Kay Thompson's Jingle Bells

Kay Thompson may be better known today as the author of the Eloise children's books, based on Liza Minelli (I believe she was also her godmother), but she was also a singer and dancer. This is her version of Jingle Bells which I LOVE.

41. Pentatonix - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

A great version of this song. You really think I'd leave this group off the list?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (50-46)
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2017, 02:35:05 PM »
46. Daryl Stuermer - Little Drummer Boy

Daryl Stuermer is one of those guitarists that is vastly underrated. His version of Little Drummer Boy is great.

love this version.  Great melodic soloing.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (40-36)
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2017, 07:56:18 PM »
Here's the next 5. I may make one more post tonight because I know I won't be able to tomorrow; if I don't I'll post twice on Friday.

40. Ella Fitzgerald - Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer

I really am not a fan of the song Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer. Dean Martin's gets played all the time and I LOATHE it. They also for some reason play Burl Ive's version directly from the tv show. Pure cheese. But Ella's is the only version in recorded history that I can tolerate, and I love it. She makes Rudolph palatable. And it's tastes smooth.

39. Jose Feliciano - Feliz Navidad

Yes, this song is overplayed, but I always think of Big Bird ice skating from the Sesame Street Christmas Special from the 70s that they played every year for a long time (through my childhood at least).

Big Bird: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgMXBUJFZOA

38. The King's Singers - Born On A New Day

You Are The New Day is a great song by the King's Singers, and this is the Christmas edition.

37. Ronnie James Dio - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

36. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Linus and Lucy

Bela Fleck puts his spin on a classic. I also like how it features Victor Wooten playing the melody at one point.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's TOP 100 CHRISTMAS SONGS!!! (40-36)
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »
Being out of town this past weekend caused me to fall behind. I'll post at least two sets today.