Author Topic: Into the Great Divide (Mike Mangini on Drums)  (Read 10822 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Into the Great Divide (Mike Mangini on Drums)
« on: November 29, 2017, 07:03:02 PM »
Did you hear that? New prog project with Mangini on drums and Richard Chycki producing:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Ny_jsja7slo
1) GREAT drum sound!
2) This could be in fact Mangini's solo album?!
https://www.facebook.com/MikeMangini/posts/1522915491090537
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Into the Great Divide (Mike Mangini on Drums)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 07:05:12 PM »
I saw that yesterday. Sounded good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 07:07:50 PM »
Good drum sound. I still don't like his drums, but this is about as good as you're going to get them I think.

Song is cool. Not great, a bit boring, but not bad at all.

I do find it odd that he's the only person on it being credited.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 07:12:39 PM »
I really dig the song, the keys are great, some neat little moments in the drumming as well.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 08:08:53 PM »
I like the song, the drums sound great! I hope they keep this kind of drum sound. I'm intrigued about who else is in the band, in the comment section of the youtube video they replied that more information about it will be revealed later.

BTW I really like the keyboard in the song.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 08:11:29 PM »
This is not Mike's solo album. This is the session Mike recorded in the Foo Fighters studio. Mike said that this is an unknown but very good artist.

Addendum: It's a rock novel! Interesting concept.

https://m.facebook.com/intothegreatdivide/#!/notes/into-the-great-divide/into-the-great-divide-due-out-january-26-2018/700452636806986/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:17:28 PM by erwinrafael »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 08:21:46 PM »
Actually, it's a novel concept.

:neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 08:26:52 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 08:49:27 PM »
What I found funny and telling is that Dave Grohl bought that Neve console, made a huge fuss about it, made a truly exceptional documentary around it (Sound City), and then didn't use it with Foo Fighters. Glad to see someone uses it though. It definitely fits a pretentious album. :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 11:04:41 PM »
What this teaser proves is that whatever problem Mangini's drum sound had in the DT albums, it looks like it's not Rich Chycki's fault.

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 01:55:29 AM »
First read it as voice actor Larry David, now that would have been interesting.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 05:49:21 AM »
https://youtu.be/Ny_jsja7slo?t=27s - now, where have I heard this before? (0:27)

https://youtu.be/CU7uGKV7d4E?t=43s - oh, right! (0:43)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 08:39:11 AM »
Yeah, this sounds great so far :metal

As for who are the other guys who play here, it's just one. If you click on the info tab on their facebook, you can read this:

Zack Zalon - Guitars, Bass, Keyboards
Mike Mangini - Drums
Richard Chycki - Producer

This is not Mike's solo album. This is the session Mike recorded in the Foo Fighters studio. Mike said that this is an unknown but very good artist.

Yeah, I tweeted Mike a few months ago about this project and he replied saying that exactly. This sounds like Zack Zalon is the one behind this band and brought Mike and Rich in to make things even better.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 08:52:05 AM »
https://youtu.be/Ny_jsja7slo?t=27s - now, where have I heard this before? (0:27)

https://youtu.be/CU7uGKV7d4E?t=43s - oh, right! (0:43)

Err...no. the sequence of the toms and bass is different. that fill in the ITGD song actually sounds closer to a fill Portnoy did in ITPOE Pt. 1 than to that fill in Enigma Machine.

Addendum: The info on the artist has actually already been leaked back in June! :p

https://sonicscoop.com/2017/06/27/mixcon-2017-preview-rich-chycki-progressive-mix/

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 01:45:32 PM »
I hope they use a drum sound similar to this one!
It seems like it's actually JPs "fault" MM has such a terrible snare sound, since Rich is involved here. Some of those guys need to step up to JP and tell him that what he produces sounds shit! That snare sound on Enigma Machine almost makes me angry!!! DT12 could have been so much better with a better drum sound.

This sounds cool btw, I think I'll check this out.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 02:29:45 PM »
I liked the song, and I liked the drum sounds as well. Good stuff!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 09:08:09 PM »
I hope they use a drum sound similar to this one!
It seems like it's actually JPs "fault" MM has such a terrible snare sound, since Rich is involved here. Some of those guys need to step up to JP and tell him that what he produces sounds shit! That snare sound on Enigma Machine almost makes me angry!!! DT12 could have been so much better with a better drum sound.

This sounds cool btw, I think I'll check this out.

The big difference with this vs the last couple DT albums is that, even though both have Chycki and Mangini involved, the producer on DT albums is JP and not Rich, he only makes things sound the way he's asked to.

I wouldn't say that JP is a bad producer, actually, I like his work a lot, but I hope he gets more input from Rich on the next album, since he's the experienced producer and engineer.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 10:29:14 PM »
There's another track on Spotify, Chapter 5:

https://open.spotify.com/artist/0zIU8Wb36oXdRLXvqACQ5K

Mangini's sound is huge. The songs are fitting his style so far.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 07:26:02 AM »
I just pre-ordered the album. Loving the Mangini drum sound.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 07:35:27 AM »
There's another track on Spotify, Chapter 5:

https://open.spotify.com/artist/0zIU8Wb36oXdRLXvqACQ5K

This one is even better than the first! :tup
Pre-ordered!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »
This is already one of my most anticipated releases of 2018 :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 10:06:37 AM »
Yeah I like the second track on Spotify as well. Is this the session MM used a "smaller" kit for? The cymbal sound on this recording is much improved.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 10:11:48 AM »
Yeah I like the second track on Spotify as well. Is this the session MM used a "smaller" kit for? The cymbal sound on this recording is much improved.

Yep, this is the kit he used for this album (smaller as in less drums, not less cymbals :lol)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 10:15:05 AM »
That's what I thought, I honestly wonder if Rich had an easier time micing this kit and getting good cymbal sounds or if he just has them turned up in the mix more than DT albums do. Either way, I like the drum sound overall, but the cymbal sound in particular stuck out to me as an improvement over what MM typically sounds like in the studio.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »
That's what I thought, I honestly wonder if Rich had an easier time micing this kit and getting good cymbal sounds or if he just has them turned up in the mix more than DT albums do. Either way, I like the drum sound overall, but the cymbal sound in particular stuck out to me as an improvement over what MM typically sounds like in the studio.

Mike said he'll probably record the next DT album on a smaller kit (similar to the one I just posted). I'll be very interesting to see how that works out for DT14, too bad it's going to be such a long wait for it :sad:

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 10:45:52 AM »

Mike said he'll probably record the next DT album on a smaller kit (similar to the one I just posted). I'll be very interesting to see how that works out for DT14, too bad it's going to be such a long wait for it :sad:

I'm curious how that will actually impact his playing. Seems like he's still got a lot going on there.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 01:35:00 AM »
The sound on this is fantastic. So THAT'S what Mike sounds like... What an eye-opener.

JP needs to get a grip on his control freakery and get a pro to produce the next DT. Seriously, the sound on this UNKNOWN BAND'S new album should be making him very sheepish indeed.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 02:35:25 AM »

I'm curious how that will actually impact his playing. Seems like he's still got a lot going on there.

I don't think it will actually impact much. His kit with DT became so big because he put in drums that would approximate MP's different drum sounds. He doesn't need all of the drums for songs he will arrange.

Anyway, nice piece of cross-promotion.

https://m.facebook.com/#!/story.php?story_fbid=701971563321760&id=688864991299084&fs=1

Here's the Youtube link to the second song:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vlu0X_sA2ME

These two instrumentals are already making Opus Maximus sound so amateur. :P

I've been searching for Zack Zalon's info. I can't find anything about past work as a musician but he's in the music business, organizing startups like HappyMusic.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:22:38 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 09:24:12 AM »
The sound on this is fantastic. So THAT'S what Mike sounds like... What an eye-opener.

JP needs to get a grip on his control freakery and get a pro to produce the next DT. Seriously, the sound on this UNKNOWN BAND'S new album should be making him very sheepish indeed.

The fun thing is... it's the same guy mixing it. I've said this many times, but I feel like JP should give an external producer a chance for the next album.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 10:08:10 AM »

I don't think it will actually impact much. His kit with DT became so big because he put in drums that would approximate MP's different drum sounds. He doesn't need all of the drums for songs he will arrange.

Anyway, nice piece of cross-promotion.

https://m.facebook.com/#!/story.php?story_fbid=701971563321760&id=688864991299084&fs=1

Here's the Youtube link to the second song:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vlu0X_sA2ME

These two instrumentals are already making Opus Maximus sound so amateur. :P

I've been searching for Zack Zalon's info. I can't find anything about past work as a musician but he's in the music business, organizing startups like HappyMusic.

God, it's so cool to hate on SoA.......

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2017, 08:55:39 PM »
Not hating, just making that song dubbed as "a beast of an instrumental" a punchline. :P
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:34:48 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2017, 06:47:18 AM »
What if... Zack Zalon is just a pseudonym and This "The Great Divide" is actually DT14?   ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2017, 08:00:46 AM »
What if... Zack Zalon is just a pseudonym and This "The Great Divide" is actually DT14?   ;D

And they forgot to tell James? :lol

Online Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2017, 05:29:56 PM »
I gave both of these songs a good couple listens nice and loud, and I actually like it. Super intriguing that no other band members got announced. I got a Pagan's Mind feel from some of the guitar and orchestration. MM sounded pretty great and interesting to know Chycki is involved. We shall see!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2018, 04:08:34 AM »

holy fuck
any rock can be made to roll