Author Topic: Into the Great Divide (Mike Mangini on Drums)  (Read 10918 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Into the Great Divide (Mike Mangini on Drums)
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2018, 01:49:17 PM »
Listening right now. The music isn't bad, but I could easily have gone without that narrator I must say.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2018, 02:41:54 PM »
Listening right now. The music isn't bad, but I could easily have gone without that narrator I must say.

Well yes, but then all you'd have is a good album, and not a concept album, and that would cost it at least 10 prog points.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »
Wow, great first impression! The songs aren't innovative by any means, but really well composed and rocking!!!
And one of the best Mangini's drumming (and sound) for sure!
Yes, I left the narrator talking alone... :biggrin:
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2018, 05:46:45 PM »
I have listened to this album about 35 times already, the last 5 times I have deleted the narration parts, bur now, everytime one song ends amd the other one stars I have the voice of the narrator stuck in my head and I find myself reciting his parts.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2018, 06:16:34 PM »
Geez... MM's drumming in the second half of A New Perspective is KILLER. Definitely shows his creativity. MM Unleashed. I expect no less than this in the next DT album!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2018, 09:01:27 PM »
Damn it the main melody of Chapter 1 keeps on reminding me of The Glass Prison.

This album should be given to anybody who says that Mangini's drumming is robotic.

Offline Adami

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2018, 09:05:10 PM »

This album should be given to anybody who says that Mangini's drumming is robotic.

It's also possible that he sounds very robotic in some cases and less so in others. Shocking, right?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2018, 09:35:08 PM »

Narrator tracks = NOMAC tracks 2018 :lol

Seriously, though, this album is amazing :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2018, 07:27:18 AM »
I removed the narrations and it sounds amazing. :)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2018, 08:03:38 AM »

It's also possible that he sounds very robotic in some cases and less so in others. Shocking, right?

Nah bro, all or nothing, come on you know that.

Anywho - first listen now, excited to check this out.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2018, 08:12:56 AM »
I've had a couple of listens today. I did find the narration a bit offputting, so I created a playlist without those tracks.

Too early to say which tracks stand out for me most, but I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2018, 09:52:13 AM »
The narration sounded very pretencious to me at first, but I'm understanding that Zak wanted to give more context to the compositions beyond just naming a track. This way, the listener could listen to the song and imagine better what kind of background history inspired its sound. In my opinion, this would be well resolved with the spoken part written in the CD's artwork. But, with the digital music, maybe he wanted to make the narration just to be sure that everybody would have the information of the song's background. I do think that Zak did not intend that everytime we heard the music we should hear the intros... if so, why he would release them as separate tracks?
Anyway, liking this album A LOT! I hope that Zak continues to make and release more music in the future!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2018, 09:56:49 AM »
Zack's words on Mangini were great when I spoke with him...it only increased my perception that DT needs to hire an external producer and welcome more contributions from all members.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2018, 11:07:19 AM »
Zack's words on Mangini were great when I spoke with him...it only increased my perception that DT needs to hire an external producer and welcome more contributions from all members.

I don't think that's a bad idea at all. Change is good sometimes (even though I LOVE the 3 MM era albums). I want to hear more MM + JM stuff like some of the things we got on DT12.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2018, 11:20:40 AM »
I hope that Zak continues to make and release more music in the future!

He said in the interview I posted a couple of days ago that he doesn’t plan on releasing more music.

He said:

Lotsofmuzik – Do you plan to keep releasing albums under the “Into the Great Divide” name, like a regular project or full band?

ZZ – No, the goal for me is to continue to share the narrative that we established here. But there are some really interesting and creative ways to connect with people using music, which doesn´t even have to take the form of a traditional album, and my goal is to expand on that. The response to the album has been better than I could have ever hoped for, and the thing that´s exciting for me is to find a way to connect with people that are interested in the format of “Into the Great Divide” as a concept, and find new ways to connect with them using music.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2018, 11:22:09 AM »
Listened to this thing one time through. It's pretty cool, definitely a lot to digest. This Zack dude is insanely good, that's for sure.

Refreshing to be able to hear MM's cymbal work much better here than on DT records as well.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2018, 11:49:46 AM »
I hope that Zak continues to make and release more music in the future!

He said in the interview I posted a couple of days ago that he doesn’t plan on releasing more music.

He said:

Lotsofmuzik – Do you plan to keep releasing albums under the “Into the Great Divide” name, like a regular project or full band?

ZZ – No, the goal for me is to continue to share the narrative that we established here. But there are some really interesting and creative ways to connect with people using music, which doesn´t even have to take the form of a traditional album, and my goal is to expand on that. The response to the album has been better than I could have ever hoped for, and the thing that´s exciting for me is to find a way to connect with people that are interested in the format of “Into the Great Divide” as a concept, and find new ways to connect with them using music.

I read that interview, very good one, by the way! I mean, I hope Zak change his mind about that.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2018, 11:53:38 AM »
I hope he changes his mind too. I have enjoyed this album soooo much!!!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2018, 03:37:02 PM »
So I am following that odd meter intro and outro to Chapter 2, and I suddenly thought "that's freaking Breaking All Illusions."  :lol
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:38:57 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2018, 04:15:18 PM »
I'm loving this album so far. End of the first listen and I'm really impressed.The production and engineering on this is so clean and clear. The guitar sounds so close to DT as to almost make me forget this isn't a new LTE record. I want DT to sound like this. So boss. :metal
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2018, 10:40:00 PM »
After my third listen, my favorite is And So It Ends. Beautiful tune.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2018, 12:19:20 AM »
The production is great and as many of you already said, I would love to hear DT album with these sounds. What I like in these songs that they have positive guitar riffs and they don't push too heavy with this album :tup many of these instrumental bands nowadays are just too metal but this album is good balance of heavy and light.

Mangini's drum sound is good except the snare. I think the snare is his problem, it just sounds too thin for me. Maybe changing snare would be good idea for him..

I would give this album 4/5. Fresh sounds and positive surprise from a instrumental band. Maybe I will put this album for a training!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2018, 09:11:11 AM »
Listened to it for the twice over the weekend -- without the commentary tracks -- and am amazed at how good this album is.  It's going to be in heavy rotation for a while.  Next time through, I'll keep the commentary tracks in and get the full picture.  Very impressive.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2018, 10:48:12 AM »
I really like that almost everyone that has listened to it loves the album. I hope the great reception that ITGD has got so far makes Zack reconsider making another album in a few years.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2018, 09:14:01 PM »
Zack has better guitar instrumentals than Phil Collen who is in the G3 tour. Zack for G3! LOL

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2018, 09:21:02 PM »
Is the narrator Three Dog from Fallout 3? Thinking it is makes the narrations way better  :lol. They’re just so cheesy, especially how it says the next track title at the end. I like them at the same time though.  The album itself is amazing!
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2018, 06:10:57 AM »
A New Perspective might be my favorote track off the album, it is soft, it id heavy, it is melodic, it is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2018, 09:00:56 AM »
This album is pretty fun to listen to. Love hearing MM jam
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2018, 10:28:00 AM »
I still think the 3 tracks they released first are the best, but love the whole album, even the narrations :biggrin: :lol

My top 5 tracks so far are (in order of appearance):

A Call to Adventure
Tests & Enemies
Challenge Accepted
Dark Waters
A New Perspective

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2018, 11:02:42 AM »
I'm listening now with the narrations and must say they really take away from the flow.  Once is probably enough...

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2018, 11:19:02 AM »
Man, those narrations are HORRIBLE.  Sounds like they hired a generic, low budget motivational speaker to do them.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »
Man, those narrations are HORRIBLE.  Sounds like they hired a generic, low budget motivational speaker to do them.

I completely removed them and just listen to the music because they are pretty bad. Can't imagine how someone thought that was a good idea.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2018, 11:32:23 PM »
I listened to the album again for the third time with the intros. Horrible, the words are written like a Lang Leav poem.  :rollin So I am sticking with instrumentals only from now on.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:25:33 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Adami

« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2018, 11:40:59 PM »
Haven't heard the album, but how would the narrations compared to old school Rhapsody ones? Pre-Christopher Lee.
fanticide.bandcamp.com