Author Topic: Into the Great Divide (Mike Mangini on Drums)  (Read 10953 times)

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
Re: Into the Great Divide (Mike Mangini on Drums)
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2018, 10:29:11 PM »
I love this album.  I listen to it with narration and without depending on my mood.  #albumoftheyear IMO.  Satch introduced me to Petrucci through G3 and that’s how I really connected to DT so this was a natural fit.  And it’s really good.  So yeah I’m hoping to hear more Zack Zalon stuff and hopefully with MM in the future.  Sounds so good.
Signature

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2018, 11:03:49 PM »
It's gonna be really tough to top ITGD and Angra's Omni as my favorite albums of 2018. I still listen to this album constantly and never get tired of it :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2018, 04:44:34 AM »
It's gonna be really tough to top ITGD and Angra's Omni as my favorite albums of 2018. I still listen to this album constantly and never get tired of it :metal

I was surprised at how good Omni was. Insania is a great song!

Offline comment

• Custom Title
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2018, 08:06:36 PM »

Wow!  I read your posts and listened to a a minute and a half of Angra, War Horns.   :metal. Thank you gentlemen for the ear candy.  I will explore this!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:15:10 PM by comment »
Signature

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2018, 09:54:43 PM »

Wow!  I read your posts and listened to a a minute and a half of Angra, War Horns.   :metal. Thank you gentlemen for the ear candy.  I will explore this!

My favorite song from Omni  :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2018, 11:04:44 AM »
From the INTO THE GREAT DIVIDE Facebook page:

Starting in on something new. Will post some audio as soon as it starts sounding like actual music...

He also posted a picture of the screen of his computer and some audio program

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2018, 11:07:07 AM »
I’m happy that Zac changed his mind so quickly! It would be a true waste of talent if he didn’t ever record some music again.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2018, 11:11:46 AM »
This did not live up to the hype for me at all. I mean its good and dudes are talented... but I feel no connection or reason to listen to this again.

Funny, some band I never heard of until seeing a thread about them here, Ostura..... they've released the album that has completely blown me away and will undoubtedly own 2018.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2018, 03:07:06 PM »
This did not live up to the hype for me at all. I mean its good and dudes are talented... but I feel no connection or reason to listen to this again.

Funny, some band I never heard of until seeing a thread about them here, Ostura..... they've released the album that has completely blown me away and will undoubtedly own 2018.

Check out my review of the Ostura album: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/ostura-the-room/

Offline comment

• Custom Title
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2018, 11:12:58 PM »
I’m happy that Zac changed his mind so quickly! It would be a true waste of talent if he didn’t ever record some music again.
From the INTO THE GREAT DIVIDE Facebook page:

Starting in on something new. Will post some audio as soon as it starts sounding like actual music...

He also posted a picture of the screen of his computer and some audio program

Stoked about this!  I just gave the album a rest to revisit it fresh and it’s still top shelf in my book.  Damn fine tunes!  Anything new that comes I’ll be buying.
Signature

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2018, 12:17:35 AM »

Check out my review of the Ostura album: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/ostura-the-room/

Spot on review! And I agree. Their work really trancends genres.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »
Holy fuck this album is amazing. Just finally listened to it on Spotify. The narration sets the tone nicely, and the music is mixed great. Its a good Prog Metal instrumental concept album. The moods he sets too are nicely done, and the melodies.

I'd say though its main flaw is the sudden endings of the songs into the abrupt start of the narration tracks. Other than, I don't mind the narration intros.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2018, 06:55:27 AM »
Bump.

I just listened to this last night. I absolutely love this album. Came out of nowhere for me, didn't even know Mangini was on it until I searched the forum and found this thread. The only thing I dislike is the narration. It is super pretentious - having just done Puppies' roulette, it literally sounds lifted from some of the intentionally corny write-ups people were making - and I just don't like narration telling me what the context of a piece of music or how I'm supposed to feel.

But the music? Oh my god, it is spectacular. One of the best 2018 albums I've heard.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2018, 07:20:24 AM »
My current rank of best albums of the year:
1 The Sea Within
2 Orphaned Land - Unsung Prophets and Dead Messiahs
3 Into the Great Divide

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »
This is a good listen. For the louder moments I'm getting a distinct early Satriani vibe. For my money, the quieter acoustic moments are the best.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2018, 11:22:11 AM »
This one and Angra's Omni are my two favorite albums of 2018 so far :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2019, 06:30:45 PM »
Bringing this thread back from the dead: ITGD’s new EP “A Life in Six Acts” dropped last Friday. Mangini didn’t play on it, and I believe the drums were programmed, but it’s still a great release and definitely worth checking out :tup

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2019, 08:09:47 PM »
Excellent EP/album! Very similar to the first one in style. The drums are programmed, but Zac made an incredible job on it :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)