Author Topic: Rob Halford Kicks Phone out of Fan's Hands  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Rob Halford Kicks Phone out of Fan's Hands
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2019, 12:25:07 PM »
That said... it should surely have been down to the gig security to see to the fan? I mean, we've all been to gigs where we've seen security dealing with fans. Hell I've seen security deal with fans for just taking a photo without any flash/interference, so I'm surprised that a fan was allowed to get away with this for a good amount of time.
In all fairness to security at that show, it doesn't appear that there is a barrier between the audience and the stage. And even according to Rob's own response, he/JP doesn't have a problem with people using their phones at shows. So unless security had received some sort of hard core instructions like we saw on The Astonishing tour, I don't think you can really blame them. I doubt any of them noticed that the guy had his flash on from where they were standing. Of course the stage crew could've done something, but maybe none of them got the impression that Rob was really irritated by the guy.

What's the deal with a teleprompter though?
I'd imagine it's something that is used by most vocalists as they age since their memories might begin to slip. Not only does Rob use one, or many others already mentioned, but I know Geddy's been using one since (I believe) the VT tour. So I think it should be expected from older bands, and I don't blame them just to have that safety net. Not sure how I feel when they need to read the lyrics off of it tho, when it's one of their own songs unless it's one they haven't performed in a long time or ever...but even then, that's what tour rehearsals are for.

Dunno why teleprompters are bad. No one gets mad at Jordan (or literally any classical musician) having the sheet music in front of them.
He's not the frontman who looks into the crowd or engages with it, and when he does like using the keytar he doesnt bring his ipad with him, plus he has crazy gadgets that probably need the timing.  I think he has real reasons, that's what I am wondering what the real reason is.
I don't think it's just the music scores that he has in front of him - I think it has more to do with when to switch patches and maybe what the layout is (at times he splits the keyboard into two separate patches), since he's got like a million different patches he goes through for a show.

I don't know if it would, Priest aren't much bigger than Alice Cooper these days (and not as big as Ghost) and I would think Priest would play the same role, a 45 minute good opener and prices would be relatively the same (probably more expensive as they are every year but not that much more than your typical yearly bump IMO).
Agreed. Look at the venues JP is playing in comparison to IM. In a way, I would find such a tour a bit strange, but if it happened, based strictly on popularity, JP would need to open for IM, not co-headline with them.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2019, 01:09:45 PM »
I would prefer to see IM for 2 hours 15 minutes, with a Ghost or Rival Sons opening, and go see Priest in a theater for 2 hours with a local band opening, rather than see IM for an hour and a half and see Priest for an hour and ten or whatever.

That was the setup for Kiss Def Leppard, and neither is suited to an opening spot, but it meant streamlined, hit-laden sets with no nuggets.   

I saw Maiden on a shed tour back in the '00's (BNW tour, I think; it was post-reunion) with Dio and Motorhead opening.  Motorhead played maybe 35 minutes, Dio played about an hour, but Maiden's set was only about an hour and a half, and while they did some nuggets - The Clansman and Revelations - and one new song - Wildest Dreams - I was left wanting more.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2019, 01:23:15 PM »
I was left wanting more.

I can definitely identify with that.  If a Maiden/Priest tour does materialize, I'm sure if I went to a show, I would be left wanting more as well.  ...more Maiden (and less Priest).  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2019, 01:26:18 PM »
I would prefer to see IM for 2 hours 15 minutes, with a Ghost or Rival Sons opening, and go see Priest in a theater for 2 hours with a local band opening, rather than see IM for an hour and a half and see Priest for an hour and ten or whatever.

That was the setup for Kiss Def Leppard, and neither is suited to an opening spot, but it meant streamlined, hit-laden sets with no nuggets.   

I saw Maiden on a shed tour back in the '00's (BNW tour, I think; it was post-reunion) with Dio and Motorhead opening.  Motorhead played maybe 35 minutes, Dio played about an hour, but Maiden's set was only about an hour and a half, and while they did some nuggets - The Clansman and Revelations - and one new song - Wildest Dreams - I was left wanting more.

I hear ya, the Def Leppard / Journey tour meant it was a great show of awesome all around music, but you just missed out on any of the slightly deep cuts you'd get on a headline show.  As for that IM tour, I think that's when IM was starting to get hot in the US again so they pulled a trio of big names together, as of now, IM doesn't need an opener to play huge crowds in the US.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2019, 02:20:02 PM »
Strange timing; I've just read a rumor that Priest & Maiden will embark on a USA tour next year. Hm....

The real question is, is Maiden good enough to open for Priest?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2019, 02:22:19 PM »
Strange timing; I've just read a rumor that Priest & Maiden will embark on a USA tour next year. Hm....

How dare you. Maiden rules, Priest drools  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2019, 02:22:42 PM »

:yeahright

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2019, 02:40:27 PM »

Only if they have to catch a late flight and need to get out early.  ;)

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2019, 02:52:07 PM »
The Metal God thing, I don't think he takes himself too serious.
I follow him on instagram and some of the photo's he posts of himself in Cat t-shirts are hilarious.

I think he has every right to boot the phone, if it indeed was impeding his performance.
I'm sure the venue would have signs up say no recording or flash photography.
It's probably even a condition of the ticket and entry to the venue.

The teleprompter, plenty of artists today use them, even 'youngsters' such as Deen Castronova has one next to his drums on the current Journey Through Time live show.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2019, 03:16:44 PM »
Rob had that dude's head rolling for sure right there.  It was a ripper of a kick, but could have broken his jaw though if he wasn't careful. But that dude should have known better, you don't have to be old to be wise you know, and you got in the Metal Gods way as he was trying to deliver the goods.  Seems Rob certainly had the rage in him that night, but I hope he hasn't broken the law by his actions by kicking someone's private property.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2019, 03:19:36 PM »
I think he has every right to boot the phone, if it indeed was impeding his performance.

Well, no. He doesn't actually have every right to kick the phone and possibly injure the dude, no matter how annoying the phone was being and no matter what the policy of the venue is.

If the venue has a no flash photography policy, then they have the right to confiscate it (I think) or kick him out. But violence isn't a right. No matter how much we, as an audience, want to cheer it on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2019, 03:21:43 PM »
If the venue has a no flash photography policy, then they have the right to confiscate it (I think) or kick him out. But violence isn't a right. No matter how much we, as an audience, want to cheer it on.

I agree and not arguing, but often in these events it ends in some sort of violence with the security guard shoving this dude out of the venue  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2019, 03:39:14 PM »
Rob had that dude's head rolling for sure right there.  It was a ripper of a kick, but could have broken his jaw though if he wasn't careful. But that dude should have known better, you don't have to be old to be wise you know, and you got in the Metal Gods way as he was trying to deliver the goods.  Seems Rob certainly had the rage in him that night, but I hope he hasn't broken the law by his actions by kicking someone's private property.
Please don't do that again.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Mladen

« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2019, 03:41:59 PM »
Please let us have more of that.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2019, 04:19:45 PM »

Well, no. He doesn't actually have every right to kick the phone and possibly injure the dude, no matter how annoying the phone was being and no matter what the policy of the venue is.

The kick wasn't necessarily violent, it was a quick I don't wanna see that phone again in my face.
If someone was shoving something in my face I'd take steps to remove it.

Hopefully this has taught the perpetrator a valuable lesson.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2019, 04:35:25 PM »
Funny thing about this whole teleprompter discussion.  Bruce had made a comment about it in the past according to this article from Ultimate-Guitar.  Of course, we all assume that Halford don't need a teleprompter for the lyrics for Breaking The Law for reasons already discussed, but for something else like the timing of the song, but I just like how Bruce made his thoughts about it especially if you read it in his voice.

"We still don't have an Autocue. Yay! I never realised that people were using Autocues. What the f--k is that all about? People pay good money and you can't even remember the sodding words. The daftest one I ever saw was [Judas Priest's] 'Breaking the Law.' It's on the f--king Autocue. 'Breaking the law, breaking the law/Breaking the law, breaking the law/Breaking the law, breaking the law/Breaking the law' - guess what? - 'breaking the law.' It's ludicrous."

I've never seen this interview before and this part is bloody hilarious. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2019, 04:39:36 PM »

Are you SURE you don't want to be a moderator?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2019, 05:43:48 PM »

WTF? lol. 

I'm a Rocker mate, I do as I feel and as I say.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2019, 07:44:00 PM »

Outstanding!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2019, 09:37:21 PM »

Spectacular!  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2019, 04:04:49 AM »
It's was really only you two I did that for anyway.  :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2019, 09:08:58 AM »

What a run of the mill post.  :)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2019, 11:32:23 AM »

Oh boy. You're really going to get put through the grinder for that.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2019, 12:41:34 PM »
So you think someone will be screaming for vengeance?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2019, 12:46:31 PM »
So you think someone will be screaming for vengeance?

Without doubt; some people are never satisfied.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2019, 12:49:14 PM »
So the lesson to be taken away from this is that if you think you can film Rob Halford with a flash on without consequences, you've got another thing coming?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2019, 12:51:12 PM »
 :lol

I can almost hear Barto gnashing his teeth.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2019, 12:58:50 PM »

He'll probably need to take a painkiller so that he's not burnin' up.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2019, 04:55:37 AM »
Yes lads!  :tup

I love you guys to death.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2019, 04:56:45 AM »

Indeed! He may come and eat us alive.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2019, 07:27:22 AM »
Love this, second most metal thing ever except for Jeff Henneman being killed by that spider.