Alanis Morissette - Ironic
6 (2.9%)
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Learning to Fly
10 (4.9%)
Santana - Smooth
9 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: September 11, 2023, 06:57:14 PM

Author Topic: Your favorites of these classic 90s songs  (Read 2767 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Your favorites of these classic 90s songs
« on: November 29, 2017, 05:57:14 PM »
You can vote for up to 5.

I will go with:

Everlong
Freedom '90
Learning to Fly
Ray of Light
Crash into Me

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Your favorites of these classic 90s songs
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »
Black Hole Sun, Creep, Everlong, My Heart Will Go On, can't really find a fifth tune there I like. If I had to pick my favorite out of all of them, it's MHWGO. Beautiful song.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »
That... is one crappy list of music. I know I slept/drank my way through the 90s, but were these really representative of the best the decade had to offer? Maybe I was better off wasted.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 06:47:07 PM »
I could literally only choose pearl Jam and REM. Alanis Morrisette if you put a gun to my head. (TAC dirty secret...I had Jagged Little Pill....and loved it!)

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:30:02 PM »
Fudge, man.

I can name so many good Soundgarden songs in their prime that got radio play that I liked a lot over friken Black Hole Sun.  Spoonman, The Day I tried to Live, Outshined, Burden in My Hand, Fell On Black Days, etc.

Out of this list, I voted Everlong.  I should have also voted Under the Bridge, but I did not notice it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 07:30:51 PM »
This thread is a great example of what was wrong with the '90s.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 07:37:48 PM »
Say what bosk1? Come on now. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 07:41:19 PM »
The 90's sucked, Joe.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 07:47:12 PM »
I only know 3 songs on that list. Haven't even heard of Dave Matthews Band or Shania Twain. Maybe because I'm European, or maybe because...

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 07:51:25 PM »
The 90's sucked, Joe.

You were out of the loop.  You have no idea.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 07:59:29 PM »
The 90's sucked, Joe.

You were out of the loop.  You have no idea.

I'm still out of the loop. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 08:07:51 PM »
 :lol

Don't go by the popular music.  There's some great music in the 90's.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 08:17:14 PM »
I mean this list has only 3 out of the 4 big bands that came out of the Seattle grunge scene.  What would be Alice in Chains' biggest hit?  Man in the Box?  Would?  Them Bones?  Down in a Hole?

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 09:05:10 PM »
I voted Everlong, Black Hole Sun, Smells Like Teen Spirit, My Heart Will Go On, and Under the Bridge. A lot of those aren't even close to my favorite song by that artist.

I mean this list has only 3 out of the 4 big bands that came out of the Seattle grunge scene.  What would be Alice in Chains' biggest hit?  Man in the Box?  Would?  Them Bones?  Down in a Hole?

Technically, "No Excuses" from Jar of Flies. It hit #1 on the US Main Rock, #3 on US Alternative, and #17 in Canada. Outside of that, I would say "Them Bones" was probably their biggest hit.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 09:23:53 PM »
Dead honesty, none of those intrigue me too much. For the most part the nineties kinda sucked musically for me.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 10:45:08 PM »
I loves me some 90's music but that is a dreadful list right there.

I went with Soundgarden and Nirvana, I guess. I do legitimately like BHS, but it is a bit overplayed. Same with Smells Like Teen Spirit. It's good but waaaay overplayed.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 10:54:54 PM »
The 90s was a great decade for music. The poll was about the overplayed songs of the decade. Of course a lot of the good songs would not be in there. If Kev was being more honest, he should have included BoyzIIMen, Britney, Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls in there.

Kev, where's Enter Sandman? And November Rain?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 12:11:47 AM »
I went Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, and Santana on this one. Five songs that I genuinely love and were part of the soundtrack of my childhood.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline dparrott

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 12:32:32 AM »
Most of my 90's music was British: Blur, Oasis, Radiohead, Charlatans, Bluetones, Suede, etc.  That was a great time.

And one of the best parts: so many b-sides!  And with each single there would be a vinyl or 2 and CD or 2.  I spent a lot of money back then!

Off that list?  PJ, Radiohead and Nirvana for me.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 01:06:52 AM »
None. Out of the songs I even know and tolerate, there's no one I would like to go and listen right now. Probably Black Hole Sun but I just know the song 'cause it's famous and it's a quite decent piece of music, not because I'm in love with it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 01:15:51 AM »
smooth is so borderline i feel a little bad for voting it (released in the middle of 1999, didn't become a big hit until like october of that year, and carried on as the #1 song in the US into the new millennium)

but i mean, it's a solid song

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 05:29:36 AM »
Horehay Miguel holds up. The wife plays it constantly, and I'm really not sick of it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 05:34:44 AM »
None. Out of the songs I even know and tolerate, there's no one I would like to go and listen right now. Probably Black Hole Sun but I just know the song 'cause it's famous and it's a quite decent piece of music, not because I'm in love with it.

This exactly.

Under The Bridge drives me mad - it was on repeatedly every single day at college for what seemed like years.   Then a song you don't like becomes  >:(

Same for Nirvana but I would much prefer that over Under The Bridge.

The 90s was when I became a real music researcher - lots of leg work , phone calls and reading to find music that pleased my ears.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 05:37:52 AM »
Losing My Religion is the only song of that bunch that I really like. Black Hole Sun, Creep and Ironic are also good for an occasional listen. My Heart Will Go On is admittedly a beautiful song but due to its overexposure nevertheless makes me want to pull my ears off and drop them into the ocean whenever I hear that infernal flute (I think?) intro. In the late 90s British supermarkets would pipe in 'orchestral' (i.e copyright-skirting) versions of it on an apparently endless loop. I was at university at the time. Now when I hear that song it only makes me think of getting annoyed when I can't find the frozen pizzas. 

For omnipresent 90s songs, at least where I grew up, I'd add some Oasis (Wonderwall and Live Forever), some Blur (Song 2), No Doubt (Don't Speak) and some of U2's Achtung Baby hits (One, Mysterious Ways). And of course, two of the finest works of art ever composed: Barbie Girl by Aqua and Saturday Night by Whigfield.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 06:25:09 AM »
Shania Twain. Maybe because I'm European, or maybe because...

Come On Over was mahoosive over in Europe, so unless you're too young to remember the late 90s, this is surprising. You couldn't get away from That Don't Impress Me Much in 1999.

smooth is so borderline i feel a little bad for voting it (released in the middle of 1999, didn't become a big hit until like october of that year, and carried on as the #1 song in the US into the new millennium)

Wait...so it was #1 for the entirety of the year 2000 and into 2001 (the start of the new millennium)? Wowee!

Joking aside, I very much consider Smooth as being a 1999 song. And not even like Nov/Dec 99; more like late summer/early autumn. Maybe it was big in the UK before it broke Stateside.

Meanwhile, my choices:

Under the Bridge
Creep
Black Hole Sun
Freedom 90
Smooth

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 06:27:41 AM »
I voted Everlong, Black Hole Sun, Smells Like Teen Spirit, My Heart Will Go On, and Under the Bridge. A lot of those aren't even close to my favorite song by that artist.

Technically, "No Excuses" from Jar of Flies. It hit #1 on the US Main Rock, #3 on US Alternative, and #17 in Canada. Outside of that, I would say "Them Bones" was probably their biggest hit.

I would guess Rooster was AIC biggest hit.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 06:37:35 AM »
I went with:

Under the Bridge
Losing My Religion
Black Hole Sun
You're Still The One
Everlong

And I actually really like all of those I chose. I have literally never heard that Alanis Morrisette song.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 06:44:37 AM »
REM
Soundgarden
Radiohead
Foos
George Michael - not my fave song by him but what a voice (and the Cindy Crawford nip slip in the vid)
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 06:58:37 AM »
George Michael - not my fave song by him but what a voice (and the Cindy Crawford nip slip in the vid)

I'd never heard that song either, so I just fired it up on Spotify. Damn, I dig it! Very funky.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 07:00:43 AM »
I feel 1979 should be included.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 07:58:12 AM »
Where's Blues Traveler?

I rather enjoy a fair amount of that list.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 08:00:23 AM »

I find this interesting because for the last few months my brother's been taking over the shop radio at work with a lot of grunge (Pandora radio), and the same half-dozen Alice in Chains songs play over and over, and I don't think I've ever heard No Excuses. Based on the frequency of radio play (Pandora and FM), I would've assumed Man in the Box, Would?, or Rooster would be their #1.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline T-ski

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 08:02:42 AM »
not a very impressive list.

I could only manage to pick Creep and Everlong.  Most of these songs I turn off it they happen to come on the radio.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 08:29:18 AM »
TAC!   Once we found out that Dave Navarro played the guitars on "You Oughta Know", we used to crank that and jump around like idiots in my apartment.   That and "Sex Type Thing".  Good times.   You should check out the acoustic version of that album that she put out about ten years ago.  It's actually even better than the original in my view.

As for the 90's; I said that I loved every classic song in that other thread, but to me, none of these songs are "classic" in that sense.  I liked "Ray of Light", love Soundgarden, Pearl Jam.  Saw DMB early, before his fans became insufferable.   The rest?  GTFO.

Nirvana?   Top three most overrated band of all time.  Period.    Nirvana is as if Tom Brady dumped it off to Julian Edelman (Soundgarden) on his own one-yard-line, Julian does all the heavy lifting and takes it all the way to the other teams' two-yard-line, and hands it off to Philip Dorsett (Nirvana) who takes it in and gets all the accolades.  Nirvana is only celebrated because Kurt Cobain actually was the one thing he claimed to not want to be - a celebrity.  He had all the quippy quotes, the celebrity wife, the diva tantrums at the showcase gigs ("We're not playing our hit single on MTV Unplugged.  WAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!H").  I can't even listen to them now.

Anthony Keidis?  Might get my vote for worst singer ever in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (though I like Flea and Chad). 

Radiohead?  Tom Petty?  On that same list as Nirvana (though I actually like a lot of the catalogue stuff from Tom Petty, the stuff before he was anointed, I mean, joined the Traveling Wilbury's and became hip beyond his wildest dreams.)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2017, 03:20:09 PM »
This thread is a great example of what was wrong with the '90s.  :lol

Concur.

I voted for Jeremy and Ray of Light and then realized I was thinking of a different Madonna song.  There are 3-4 on the list that I don't recognize (at least by name).  There are other songs by some of these artists that I would've voted for, but nothing on this list really fires me up.

Other 90s songs that could've been on the list:

Semi-Charmed Life
Right Here Right Now (no half-diminished chords)
Tears in Heaven
I'd Do Anything for Love
Zombie
Interstate Love Song
Turn the Beat Around
Gansta's Paradise
California Love
Hey Jealousy
Tubthumping
Bitch
Walkin' on the Sun
One Week
Fly Away
Baby One More Time
I Want It That Way
Every Morning

and of course...

Cotton Eye Joe
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung