Author Topic: Looking for a small cabinet for my small bathroom... not sure what to search for  (Read 1082 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
I live in a mobile home, so my bathroom space is pretty limited. I'm looking for something no more than a foot wide, maybe three feet tall, to sit on my bathroom counter. Something I could put toiletries and stuff in so that the cabinet space is not so unsightly. I've searched for "small cabinet," to no avail. Is there a better term? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

This is the space I'm working with.

I'm trying to go with a kind of "lodge" type of vibe.

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Not suggesting you buy there, as you may very well get stuff cheaper online, but I often find it helpful to stop by Lowe's or Home Depot, look at a few things and ask some questions in situations like this.

Edit: It may also be tough to find something of that size with a door, so perhaps look for a small shelving unit that you can add two hinges and a door to.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Thought of that as well, but most medicine cabinets are more than a foot wide, which will make it tough.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Thought of that as well, but most medicine cabinets are more than a foot wide, which will make it tough.
I'm thinking something might look decent if it was flush with the wall on the left side, at a 90 degree angle to my mirror. I'm not entirely sure, though, but it would give me room for more width.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
@Nick:  True, but (1) search and he will likely find some small ones, and (2) if he mounts it to the wall just over the counter, he isn't limited to just the counter dimensions, so he may have a few more inches to play with.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
I've spent my whole life looking for a few more inches to play with.

I'm not really comfortable mounting something to the wall myself. I'm sure I could find a youtube video or something, but I don't have experience with that kind of thing and I don't want to mess it up.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Don't know where you live, but walk through Ikea.   

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Don't know where you live, but walk through Ikea.
I'm about 300 miles from the nearest one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
MJ, the second link has some countertop stuff as well. 

I like Nick's suggestion of looking at a couple of stores.  You might see some things that spur your imagination in a way you didn't expect.  Another suggestion is to look in the home furnishing sections at places like Ross and Marshall's.  They often have really odd pieces of furniture that you would never have thought of buying, but that work really well for a particular space.  I say that because my wife found a cute little cabinet thing at Ross years ago that we use as sort of a countertop medicine cabinet, and it is probably no more than a foot wide.  I wouldn't have thought of it being used in a bathroom for that purpose, but it is actually perfect.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Never heard of Marshall's, but I'll definitely check out Ross when I go into town today.  :tup

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
There are plenty of options to add storage space without something as bulky as what you're describing. Add a medicine cabinet. Mount some shelves inside the door. Add a shelving unit to the shower. That, combined with the shelves over the pot and the existing cabinets will give you tons of storage. Plus, everything can be stowed in sensible locations.

Also, shop The Container Store for all of your storage needs (and then buy online).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator

I like Nick's suggestion of looking at a couple of stores.  You might see some things that spur your imagination in a way you didn't expect.  Another suggestion is to look in the home furnishing sections at places like Ross and Marshall's.  They often have really odd pieces of furniture that you would never have thought of buying, but that work really well for a particular space.  I say that because my wife found a cute little cabinet thing at Ross years ago that we use as sort of a countertop medicine cabinet, and it is probably no more than a foot wide.  I wouldn't have thought of it being used in a bathroom for that purpose, but it is actually perfect.

Not to get off topic, but I love the occasional trip through Ross. Not only for random stuff like this, but just for deals on beater clothes cheap or sometimes even dress shirts. It's a crap shoot on if you'll find something you like, but if you do it's usually a really good price.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...

Not to get off topic, but I love the occasional trip through Ross. Not only for random stuff like this, but just for deals on beater clothes cheap or sometimes even dress shirts. It's a crap shoot on if you'll find something you like, but if you do it's usually a really good price.

Ross is the shit.

As soon as I read this I thought "MJ should go to ROSS!"

I get my underwear and a lot of my dressier shirts from Ross.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I get my underwear and a lot of my dressier shirts from Ross.

I get most of mine from your top drawer.  But it's okay, because you aren't home when I do.  Wait...

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I feel violated.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"