Author Topic: Current tour reviews  (Read 877 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Current tour reviews
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:03:42 AM »
A hodgepodge area for everyone to chime in about the '17 North American tour.

[SPOILER ALERTS]

Just saw them in Baltimore.  Got to meet Jordan and JP again beforehand, JM and Jordan afterwards.  Excited for those seeing DT for the first time, as they did not do 'Don't Look Past Me' (oh, well) or 'To Live Forever'  (bummer), but inserted 'The Spirit Carries On'  (oh, yes).  And it had some 'bite', was faster and much harder than a few years back.

Gawd...loved the intro to 'Hell's Kitchen' with 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds', and that 'Enter Sandman' was part of 'As I Am'.

I loved the 'cubes' during a couple of the most recent tours.  Have always hated the large screen behind a band, as it causes one to lose sight and focus on the band members (I don't want to see JR's fingers ten foot tall while trying to watch JM or JP).  So....no screen.  Fantastic!  Great light show.  JL was as perfect and funny as could be.  MM was the ever constant machine.

The Lyric was filled....except for my area in the upper right section.  So...I could stand, raise my arms, sway, sing, yell, air drum and guitar to my heart's content.  Next to seeing them in DC in '07, this was my favorite DT concert, and Top Ten of any band all time.

Damn, 'Another Day' and 'Surrounded' and 'Learning To Live' were just out of sight.  Never heard them so 'raw' before.  Felt like a kid again.

https://www.facebook.com/dreamtheaterusa/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 12:42:21 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

Re: Current tour reviews
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 10:05:11 AM »
Was at the show as well. TDEN sounded positively apocalyptic as an opener, As I Am completely slayed, and TTT and ACOS were amazing. MM really stole the show though--what a performer. LaBrie was much better than a lot of the recent YouTube vids etc. would have you believe, though perhaps just a particularly good night coming off of five days' rest and late in the tour.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Current tour reviews
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 10:15:07 AM »
They were beyond amazing!  Oh wait, nevermind, I almost forgot they didn't come to Seattle so I didn't see them this tour..  :facepalm:
I was gonna go to the New York show with free airline passes but our plans got stifled by a dose of reality. 😳
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP