Author Topic: Top 5 2017 Albums  (Read 11126 times)

Online Anguyen92

Re: Top 5 2017 Albums
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2017, 04:29:29 PM »
Despite listening to around 35 albums this year, this year was not as big as a great year for me in terms of listening to music.  Here's my list.

1. Ed Sheeran's Divide
2. Steven Wilson's To The Bone
3. Big Wreck's Grace Street
4. Queens of the Stone Age's Villians
5. Trivium's The Sin and the Sentence

In all honesty, this top 5 really pales from my top 5 in 2016.  There were plenty of good albums, not great enough to consider putting it on top 5 however.  Stone Sour's Hydrograd was a good listen, as was Rise Against's Wolves.  Zac Brown Band's Welcome Home was good as was Ayreon's The Source.  Heck, Nickelback released a pretty darn good album this year in Feed the Machine as well.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2017, 02:30:36 AM »
Is someone gonna make an official end of the year list thread? Like the one I did for the first half of the year, or are we using this one? Anyway, this year has been a total mess for me. Not because the quality of releases was too low - definitey not - but I haven't been keeping track really well of all 2017 albums. I think these are my top albums of the year but I might accidentally have forgotten a few:

1. Arfiticial Language - The Observer
2. Leprous - Malina
3. The Contortionist - Clairvoyant
4. Ulver - The Assassination of Julius Caesar
5. Soen - Lykaia
-
6. Persefone - Aathma
7. Brand New - Science Fiction
8. Anathema - The Optimist
9. Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile to the Surface
10. Mastodon - Emperor of Sand
11. Vangough - Warpaint
12. Elder - Reflections of a Floating World
13. Hacride - Inconsolabilis EP
14. Arcane Roots - Melancholia Hymns
15. The Hirsch Effekt - Eskapist

Good/great but haven't gotten enough spins:

- Converge - The Dusk In Us (possibly an AOTY contender)
- White Moth Black Butterfly - Atone
- White Ward - Futility Report
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Luciferian Towers
- Dvne - Asheran
- King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland
- Ne Obliviscaris - Urn
- Hundredth - RARE

Disappointments of the year:

Caligula's Horse - In Contact / Adimiron - Et Liber Eris. Not because they are bad, but because they both had fantastic singles and when the album came out their lead singles ended up being far and away the best songs on both albums (The Sentinel and Will's Song).

Looking forward to:

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pacifisticuffs (even though the vocals on the lead single are annoying as fuck, the music was good so I'm hoping for a solid release)
The Dear Hunter - EP thingie, I think it comes out this week :metal don't have high expectations but I'm curious to see what they came up with

Don't think anything else I follow will be released until the end of the year. BTBAM's new album is probably coming out early 2018 though :metal :metal :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Polarbear

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2017, 03:12:08 AM »
In no particular order..

Steven Wilson - To The Bone
The Night Flight Orchestra - Amber Galactic
Depeche Mode - Spirit
Mike Oldfield - Return to Ommadawn
Mastodon - Emperor of Sand
(EP of the Year: Mastodon - Cold Dark Place)

New stuff from Trivium, Paradise Lost and Von Hertzen Brothers has also been great!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2017, 03:59:58 AM »
Looking forward to:

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pacifisticuffs (even though the vocals on the lead single are annoying as fuck, the music was good so I'm hoping for a solid release)
The Dear Hunter - EP thingie, I think it comes out this week :metal don't have high expectations but I'm curious to see what they came up with

Yea I'm looking forward to Pacifisticuffs as well and also the new album by The Faceless  :metal

Obviously I'm totally looking forward to The Dear Hunter's EP more than anything though. Dude, why don't you have high expectations? What about their track record could possibly lead you to believe this will be anything other than awesome? Shame on you!

That being said I've not really checked out anything about it other than a bit here and there. I just want to listen to the whole thing, when it's ready.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2017, 10:21:34 AM »
again, why I'm happy my year ends on Halloween.

The Dear Hunter, The Faceless, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Galactic Cowboys, U2, The Gloomcatcher are all already in my new season/year's list.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2017, 10:26:19 AM »
Yeah, I still haven't even bought 5 new albums and don't anticipate doing so before year's end.  Sons of Apollo wins "top album" more or less by default.  There was just scant good music released this year, unfortunately. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2017, 10:31:23 AM »
My list is really one:  "Adios" by Glenn Campbell.  Unbelievable record, really, and knowing that "Adios" was released two weeks before he passed is just...

The rest of the list:
- Deep Purple "Infinite"
- Cheap Trick "We're Alright"
- Night Ranger - "Don't Let Up"
- Sons Of Apollo - "Psychotic Symphony"

I'm pretty sure those are the only ones I've bought. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:23:13 AM by Stadler »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2017, 10:46:01 AM »
Cellador - Off The Grid

:metal :metal

Awesome album. In my Top 5 as well! Was just listening to it last night!!

It's great. A bit heavy on the auto-tune in places and I think Chris strains his vocals way too much sometimes (I love Shimmering Status but OUCH! That chorus!), but it's a fantastic return from them. Need to revisit it since it's been a few months but good lord I played the hell out of that album the first half of the year.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline romdrums

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »
sleepmakeswaves- Made of Breath Only
Steven Wilson- To the Bone
IceFish- Human Hardware
Sikth- The Future in Whose Eyes?
Mastodon- Emperor of Sand
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2017, 11:38:52 AM »
1. 311 - Mosaic
2. Nocturnal Rites - Phoenix
3. Cyrha - Letters to Myself
4. VUUR - In This Moment We Are Free - Cities
5. The Dark Element - The Dark Element

Honorable mentions:

Epica - The Solace System EP (This is AMAZING, but as an EP, didn't think it should be compared to full albums)
Sons of Apollo - Psychotic Symphony
AFI - AFI (The Blood Album)
Less Than Jake - Sound the Alarm (also an EP so goes here, but pretty solid return to their ska/punk sound)

Dissapointments

Incubus - 8

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2017, 11:58:45 AM »
Sons of Apollo wins "top album" more or less by default.  There was just scant good music released this year, unfortunately. 

This statement is wrong.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2017, 12:00:09 PM »
Yeah just because you personally didn't find much good music doesn't mean there was none  ::)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2017, 12:06:17 PM »
Well, as I have looked back at people's lists, and have looked at the release calendar for 2017, I can't find hardly anything good that came out.  If you did, that's great for you.  I'm not begrudging you or using "eyerolls" because you found something to like.  Not sure why you seem to have a problem with the fact that I didn't.  If it overly bothers you that I didn't really find much that is worthwhile in the music scene this past year, that is of course your prerogative, but I would suggest that you reevaluate if others' musical preferences bother you that much.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2017, 12:46:59 PM »
Honestly, if not for the last couple of months, I would have felt like Bosk.  Most of the year was not so great for new music for me, I felt like 2016 was a monster year and many of my favorite bands weren't releasing new music.  However, the last couple months brought out debut albums from former band members I really liked (MP in Sons of Apollo, Annette in Dark Element, Jake E in Cyrha, Anneke in VUUR) so that made 2017 a much better year musically than it appeared it was going to be, for me.  Oh an a come back after 10 years from Nocturnal Rites  :metal :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »
Reminder bosk tends to speak of his own opinions as they were facts but they're just his own views expressed in that particular way :P

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2017, 05:11:30 PM »
Yeah, I still haven't even bought 5 new albums and don't anticipate doing so before year's end.  Sons of Apollo wins "top album" more or less by default.  There was just scant good music released this year, unfortunately.

Granted, this year hasn't been as good as 2016 but I can point you in the direction of plenty of albums that would leave SoA as a distant memory. Don't settle for your album of the year being there by default  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2017, 05:18:19 PM »
Reminder bosk tends to speak of his own opinions as they were facts but they're just his own views expressed in that particular way :P

Yes, because that is clearly what happened.   :\

Granted, this year hasn't been as good as 2016 but I can point you in the direction of plenty of albums that would leave SoA as a distant memory. Don't settle for your album of the year being there by default  :biggrin:

You're welcome to give it a shot.  But I have my doubts about your ability to succeed unless some albums were released by bands I actually like that I am just not aware of.  :lol

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2017, 05:31:41 PM »
1. Ruins of Beverast - Exuvia
2. Leprous - Malina
3. Enslaved - E
4. Converge - The Dusk in Us
5. Pain of Salvation - In the Passing Light of Day

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2017, 05:34:00 PM »
  • Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell Live

Nice. Haven’t heard all of that live album (will at some point though), but I own the studio album and it’s one of the most beautiful albums I’ve ever heard.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 05:43:17 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2017, 05:35:30 PM »
1. Godspeed You Black Emperor - Luciferian Towers

:tup Incredibly underrated.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2017, 05:54:19 PM »
I totally forgot to mention

Big Big train - Grimspound

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2017, 05:58:01 PM »
2. Leprous - Malina
3. Enslaved - E
Wish I dug Exuvia more than I do, tracks 4 and 6 are awesome but a lot of the rest tends to drag a bit I find, especislly the opener

Also the new Enslaved is great, Hiindsiight is a strong competitor for song of the year imo

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2017, 06:05:24 PM »

You're welcome to give it a shot.  But I have my doubts about your ability to succeed unless some albums were released by bands I actually like that I am just not aware of.  :lol

Well I mean if you're limiting yourself by only listening to bands you know you like then of course I'll have less chance of succeeding. If you're at that stage where you are just happy listening to the bands you know and not discovering new stuff then that's fine. Just don't forget that every single band you love was once a band you'd never heard of.

I've taken a punt on some bands/albums this year. There's been some hits and misses but my thirst for music only seems to grow as I get older.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2017, 06:19:33 PM »
  • Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell Live

Nice. Haven’t heard all of that live album (will at some point though), but I own the studio album and it’s one of the most beautiful albums I’ve ever heard.
This one also features songs from Age of Adz but all feature brilliant performances, and somehow the Carrie & Lowell songs are a bit more maximalist yet equally powerful, like 4th of July. Definitely give it a try one day  :tup

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2017, 06:30:42 PM »
2. Leprous - Malina
3. Enslaved - E
Wish I dug Exuvia more than I do, tracks 4 and 6 are awesome but a lot of the rest tends to drag a bit I find, especislly the opener

Also the new Enslaved is great, Hiindsiight is a strong competitor for song of the year imo

I can understand feeling that way about Exuvia, but none of the songs drag to me.

I agree about Hiindsiight. Awesome song.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2017, 08:05:47 AM »
My list of "Bands I finally really dug into in 2017" is far more interesting than the new releases.

Devin Townsend, Neal Morse, The Kinks, Yngwie... soon to be Alice Cooper (Thanks TAC!). 

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2017, 10:03:00 AM »
1. Steven Wilson - To The Bone

2. Mastodon - Emperor of Sand
3. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
4. Pain of Salvation - In The Passing Light Of Day
5. ?

I really have trouble coming up with even a top 5. I should keep up more. I love To The Bone but not as much as Hand. Cannot. Erase.
I haven't heard anything as amazing as Gojira's Magma this year. Couldn't get into Leprous - Malina although I really like The Congregation.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2017, 10:34:13 AM »
1. The Night Flight Orchestra - Amber Galactic
2. Mastodon - Emperor of Sand
3. The Dark Element - The Dark Element
4. Ayreon - The Source
5. Leprous - Malina (Actually I just listened to this album thanks to this thread, I've been meaning to for some time, it's awesome!)

I'm sure the new Diablo Swing Orchestra would be in my list aswell once it's released.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2017, 11:27:07 AM »
1. Mastodon - Emperor of Sand (+ Cold Dark Place)
2. Ne Obliviscaris - Urn
3. Soen - Lykaia
4. Threshold - Legends of the Shires
5. Need - Hegaiamas: a Song for Freedom

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2017, 01:10:17 PM »
Adding Major Parkinson - Blackbox to the list.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2017, 05:01:45 PM »
Adding Major Parkinson - Blackbox to the list.

:tup

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2017, 10:10:24 PM »
Ok, I don't know why I overlooked this album, but I'm hearing this today and I am definitely enjoying Mastodon's Emperor of Sand after five songs in.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2017, 12:16:55 AM »
I've barely bought even a dozen new (studio) albums this year, so I guess I'll give you the half of which I think were better than the other half, and in no particular order:

Big Big Train - Grimspound
Big Big Train - The Second Brightest Star
-These two definitely stand out for me, and have cemented the band's place in my Top 10 bands of all time. Their work since The Underfall Yard has been near perfect every time, and these two albums continue that trend.

Steven Wilson - To The Bone
-I see this on a lot of people's lists, and that's not surprising. It's a great album over-all, with some unique song styles and genre-shifts for SW that, I hope, will continue into his future solo work.

Blackfield - Blackfield V
-The shortest album here, but the songs are really beautiful and definitely evoke the sound of Blackfield's first two albums, arguably their best work (not that DNA and IV are total junkers). The full return of SW is really felt, but his presence isn't overwhelming, and so he and Aviv strike a perfect balance throughout this 45 minute song cycle.

The Tangent - The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery
-I haven't spun this one in a couple months (or weeks, I think I listened to it last month, maybe...), but it's gotten more listens than the Tangents previous work, A Spark In The Aether. The lyrical concepts on this album are appropriate in our times, and the music is strong enough to compliment those lyrics. I'm probably one of two people who will list this album in this thread.

Anathema and Ayreon get honorable mentions mostly because I feel like I never really got INTO their albums, despite loving their previous works. I just don't think I've been in the right moods for those bands this year, despite having great albums the few times I listened to them. Either way, I acknowledge their greatness, but they just didn't stick with me this year. I'm sure they'll hit me next year when I'm in the right moods for them.

And for the curious, the other albums I bought this year but didn't mention above are:
Tim Bowness - Lost In The Ghost Light, Kaipa - Children Of The Sounds, and Sons Of Apollo - Psychotic Symphony (which you'd think I would have in my top 5, but like Anathema and Ayreon, I just haven't been in the mood for that kind of music this year, so I spun it once and shelved it for now...).

EDIT - Putting my list in order for the counting of votes and what not:
1. Big Big Train - Grimspound
2. Steven Wilson - To The Bone
3. Big Big Train - The Second Brightest Star
4. The Tangent - The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery
5. Blackfield - Blackfield V

-Marc.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 01:03:02 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2017, 04:25:06 AM »
In no order;

Trivium - The Sin and the Sentence
Firewind - Immortals
Iced Earth - Incorruptible
Dragonforce - Reaching Into Infinity
The Ferrymen - The Ferrymen

The Iced Earth or Dragonforce could be replaced with Dream Evil's Six on some days.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2017, 05:24:12 AM »
Rikard Sjöblom's album is still in the mail, haven't heard it yet. I will have to wait with my post until I have heard it :D
any rock can be made to roll