Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
20 (5.8%)
Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight
32 (9.3%)
Van Halen - Jump
28 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: September 07, 2023, 11:18:18 PM

Author Topic: Your favorites of these overplayed classic 80s songs  (Read 4631 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: Your favorites of these overplayed classic 80s songs
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2017, 05:22:09 PM »
The weird thing about Africa is that there's nothing else in the rest of their discography (which is also really good) that sounds anything like it.

I don't know. I've never heard anything by Toto that I've found even remotely interesting.

Hold The Line is Toto, right. That song is OK.

Well, I could definitely see how you wouldn’t be into Toto. There’s a touch of hard rock (and even prog) in there, but absolutely zero heaviness.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2017, 05:23:55 PM »
I think if they wanted to be known as a heavy band they'd be called Cujo, instead of Toto. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2017, 06:24:27 PM »
The weird thing about Africa is that there's nothing else in the rest of their discography (which is also really good) that sounds anything like it.

What about Rosanna? That is adult contemporary schmaltz masquerading as rock just like Africa. 

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2017, 06:26:17 PM »

What about Rosanna? That is adult contemporary schmaltz masquerading as rock just like Africa.

Luke's guitar solo wants to have a word with you about that  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2017, 08:43:39 PM »

Luke's guitar solo wants to have a word with you about that  :biggrin:

Sure thing, wake me when it starts... :D
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2017, 03:38:35 PM »
Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
Toto - Africa
Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Asia - Heat of the Moment
Van Halen - Jump
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Ruba

« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2017, 09:10:35 PM »
I'm too young, but think the last there's been too long popular music's been good since I was born.

Anyway, my picks:
Every Breath You Take
Tainted Love
Blue Monday
Venus
You Spin Me Right Round

love my 80s pop and my father hates me for it  ;)!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:23:08 PM by Ruba »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2018, 08:40:59 PM »
I've still never heard anything from High 'N' Dry except Let It Go and Bringin' on the Heartbreak.  Gimme 2-3 other must-have songs from it, fellow 80s fans.  :coolio

Mirror Mirror
Another Hit And Run
Lady Strange
On Through The Night

Update: Def Leppard's catalog is now available digitally, so I ponied up the $5.99 and bought High 'n' Dry. :coolio :coolio

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2018, 03:24:00 PM »
I've still never heard anything from High 'N' Dry except Let It Go and Bringin' on the Heartbreak.  Gimme 2-3 other must-have songs from it, fellow 80s fans.  :coolio

Mirror Mirror
Another Hit And Run
Lady Strange
On Through The Night

Update: Def Leppard's catalog is now available digitally, so I ponied up the $5.99 and bought High 'n' Dry. :coolio :coolio

High n Dry is fantastic, my favorite DL album.  They played Switch 625 so I saw that one along with the two TAC mentioned.  They actually played a good amount of the HnD songs during they residency in Vegas a few years ago, some of which made thier DVD which are awesome tracks that rock live.  I hope they bring some more of these songs out this summer, but I wouldn't expect it.  Watched Joe Elliot on Eddie Trunk yesterday and he pretty much said playing rare DL songs is not something they are interested in doing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2018, 07:56:50 AM »
Honestly, though, as much a fan of HnD as I am (it's my favorite DL record too) I saw them in '14 with Kiss, and the other songs are so good live, it's not a huge dropoff.  It's not like going to see Geoff Tate and only getting songs from "FU" with nothing from Mindcrime (bad analogy because Tate seems intent on driving Mindcrime into the ground). 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2018, 04:05:49 PM »
Yea, a Def Leppard set of classics is going to be a fun night, but for the person who's seen them a bunch, hitting up a few of the rare and awesome songs, would be a nice change up.  I get it though.  I've seen it in person.  If they play a new song people go to the bathroom, if they play a rare song people go grab a drink.  I'm sure the band sees it if I can see it and therefore their reasoning isn't wrong by any means, just sucks for the fan who is more than casual. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2018, 07:36:07 PM »
I agree with that.  When a band has had that much mainstream success and has an x-number of "hits" that everyone knows, their set lists almost have to be hits-centric, which doesn't always leave a lot of room for deep cuts, depending on how their set is and how many "hits" they feel like they have to play.  I would guess Def Leppard probably has anywhere from 9 to 13 songs they feel like are must plays at every show.