Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
20 (5.8%)
Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight
32 (9.3%)
Van Halen - Jump
28 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Voting closed: September 07, 2023, 11:18:18 PM

Author Topic: Your favorites of these overplayed classic 80s songs  (Read 4634 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Your favorites of these overplayed classic 80s songs
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2017, 07:04:06 PM »
10-4. I will check those out and report back.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2017, 07:24:20 PM »
Okay, I enjoyed all of those songs, but I can't say three of them are ones I would listen too often.

Mirror, Mirror was the exception. That song kicks ass. :tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2017, 07:30:15 PM »
Okay, I enjoyed all of those songs, but I can't say three of them are ones I would listen too often.

So Kev, as a 13 year old on 1981, that album made a huge impression on me. I never get sick of hearing it. The band were still teenagers when they recorded it, I believe.

And yes, Mirror Mirror kicks total ass! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2017, 07:31:38 PM »
Gotta love nostalgia. :coolio :hat

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2017, 07:43:46 PM »
As for MirrorMask, and I mean this nicely, but doesn't it interest you to hear where things come from and how things evolve?   I remember listening to Used Bin Radio, and they were talking about "Tommy", and I realized that I had never heard it before.  I  went to AKA Records in Philly, bought it used for a $1.00 and checked it out, not because I'm the hugest Who fan, but because I feel like I have to know "Tommy" to know and appreciate (or not) what came after.  Same with Hendrix; not the hugest Hendrix fan, but after listening to the three studio albums that he made while alive, it really explained a LOT about the music that I listened to growing up.   Kiss, Priest, Scorpions (at least Roth), Vai, ALL influenced HEAVILY by Hendrix, but interestingly, Maiden, not.    It puts things in context.

Well, sometime down the road I want to explore stuff I've been missing out so far... the point is that there's so much music out there and only so much free time...

I concur.  I have no interest whatsoever visiting these classic bands that help shape the foundation of rock music, due to the fact that there are so much good music out there nowadays and so little time.  Everyone states how great guys like Sabbath, Ozzy, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, etc. are and I'm not downplaying their achievements and what they've done, which they've done are really massive and help influence bands that I love.  I just have no personal interest to listen to them and I have honestly no personal reason to do so.

There are times where I question why I love Rush and Iron Maiden above those bands and I just think it's because of their (Rush and Iron Maiden) "modern" releases and how much care and effort they put into those albums and those albums act as a gateway for me, as a younger fan, to explore their past stuff and see how it progresses from there.

As for this list?  I picked only Jump and Africa.  Welcome to the Jungle is a great opener to a very great debut album, but like all the bands I listed in the first paragraph, I just cannot care too much about GNR on a personal level. 

I only heard about them more thoroughly because Slash picked my favorite vocalist and one of my favorite musicians ever, Myles Kennedy, to be the lead singer for his solo band.  Then I started hating Slash because, to me, he was getting in the way of the things that I personally wanted Myles do more of (which is get more active with Alter Bridge and get his solo album out) and surprise, surprise. 

The moment Slash rejoined GNR and his solo band is on hiatus, the less I cared about him and then Alter Bridge went on to have one of their best years ever in 2017 and that Myles finally is going to have his solo album out in 2018.  Funny how that worked out and I think this is for the best that Slash's solo band is on the hiatus it is now.

Sorry about that tangent, but I had to get it out there.

In conclusion relating to the thread, Africa is just a great song to me, even I can't grasp the lyrics.  Everything else about it is great and I like the intro to Jump.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:48:53 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2017, 08:27:01 AM »

So Kev, as a 13 year old on 1981, that album made a huge impression on me. I never get sick of hearing it. The band were still teenagers when they recorded it, I believe.

And yes, Mirror Mirror kicks total ass! :metal

I remember hearing "NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!....." the first time and thinking "That is SOOOO fucking cool." 

The hits are Let It Go and Bringin' on the Heartbreak, but for me, I LOVE Side Two of that album.  Almost perfect.  Actually, maybe perfect.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2017, 08:32:43 AM »
Yeah, I think side 2 is a lot stronger than side 1 (although both are very good).  I didn't discovery them until Pryomania, so my view of their music is tainted by getting into them at a time when Pyromania was the "best thing I have ever heard in my life!"  But going back and discovering Hi N Dry was fantastic.  I can't say I played that album as much as Pyromania.  But it still got A LOT of plays. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2017, 08:37:04 AM »
As for MirrorMask, and I mean this nicely, but doesn't it interest you to hear where things come from and how things evolve?   I remember listening to Used Bin Radio, and they were talking about "Tommy", and I realized that I had never heard it before.  I  went to AKA Records in Philly, bought it used for a $1.00 and checked it out, not because I'm the hugest Who fan, but because I feel like I have to know "Tommy" to know and appreciate (or not) what came after.  Same with Hendrix; not the hugest Hendrix fan, but after listening to the three studio albums that he made while alive, it really explained a LOT about the music that I listened to growing up.   Kiss, Priest, Scorpions (at least Roth), Vai, ALL influenced HEAVILY by Hendrix, but interestingly, Maiden, not.    It puts things in context.

Well, sometime down the road I want to explore stuff I've been missing out so far... the point is that there's so much music out there and only so much free time...

I concur.  I have no interest whatsoever visiting these classic bands that help shape the foundation of rock music, due to the fact that there are so much good music out there nowadays and so little time.  Everyone states how great guys like Sabbath, Ozzy, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Def Leppard, etc. are and I'm not downplaying their achievements and what they've done, which they've done are really massive and help influence bands that I love.  I just have no personal interest to listen to them and I have honestly no personal reason to do so.

There are times where I question why I love Rush and Iron Maiden above those bands and I just think it's because of their (Rush and Iron Maiden) "modern" releases and how much care and effort they put into those albums and those albums act as a gateway for me, as a younger fan, to explore their past stuff and see how it progresses from there.

I get it, this is a personal, subjective thing, but just as part of the discussion... it's important to me to hear that - as much as I love, say, ELO, they're a REALLY derivative band when you know what came before, and you know where they were influenced.   The grunge movement is another great example.    For me, Soundgarden is the paradigm of the grunge movement, even if Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam and Nirvana are the more well-known.   Why?  Because there's a whole lot more obvious "influence corner" with the other three bands; knowing that the solo in Alive is an homage to Kiss makes a difference (to me).   Soundgarden was a more pure distillation, in my opinion.   

It's one thing I did with my kid (and she has explicitly thanked me for this).   She wanted a CD with some covers by Taylor Swift, and I told her:   I'll buy you whatever music you want, but you HAVE to listen to the original too.    She now "gets" Fleetwood Mac and understands the influence that Stevie Nicks had on her.  Some band named Panic At The Disco (I think) did a cover of "Bohemian Rhapsody".   I said "listen to this".   She's a huge Queen fan now, and understands where a lot of PATD is coming from.  In a weird way, she likes it MORE knowing what the singer/writer/leader has taken from Queen and what he brought to the table himself.   I forget the link now, but somehow "Rush" came up, and I played "Tom Sawyer", same thing.  Granted, some things get ruined; once I figured out Hendrix, a LOT of guitar players became lame to me (do something new, dude) but for the most part, the listening experience is richer for knowing where things came from.  FOR ME.  I get it, FOR ME.  Just sharing.

As for this list?  I picked only Jump and Africa.  Welcome to the Jungle is a great opener to a very great debut album, but like all the bands I listed in the first paragraph, I just cannot care too much about GNR on a personal level. 

I only heard about them more thoroughly because Slash picked my favorite vocalist and one of my favorite musicians ever, Myles Kennedy, to be the lead singer for his solo band.  Then I started hating Slash because, to me, he was getting in the way of the things that I personally wanted Myles do more of (which is get more active with Alter Bridge and get his solo album out) and surprise, surprise. 

The moment Slash rejoined GNR and his solo band is on hiatus, the less I cared about him and then Alter Bridge went on to have one of their best years ever in 2017 and that Myles finally is going to have his solo album out in 2018.  Funny how that worked out and I think this is for the best that Slash's solo band is on the hiatus it is now.

Sorry about that tangent, but I had to get it out there.

In conclusion relating to the thread, Africa is just a great song to me, even I can't grasp the lyrics.  Everything else about it is great and I like the intro to Jump.
[/quote]

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2017, 08:39:22 AM »
Yeah, I think side 2 is a lot stronger than side 1 (although both are very good).  I didn't discovery them until Pryomania, so my view of their music is tainted by getting into them at a time when Pyromania was the "best thing I have ever heard in my life!"  But going back and discovering Hi N Dry was fantastic.  I can't say I played that album as much as Pyromania.  But it still got A LOT of plays.

That was part of the "fade" for me, with Def Leppard; even Pyromania, I like Side Two better.    Once Def Leppard became only as good as their hits, they lost me a little bit.   (That was around Adrenalize; Slang:  I like the single, the rest....meh).   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2017, 08:49:46 AM »
Speaking of High n Dry, here's a 13 y/o TAC (actually about 6 weeks away from turning 14) sporting my High n Dry Shirt in Disney World..August 1982. with my brother and father.

(A bit grainy)

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2017, 08:53:15 AM »
I see your brother has better taste. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2017, 08:55:58 AM »
...and his Dad, as well.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2017, 08:58:32 AM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2017, 09:02:31 AM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2017, 10:38:13 AM »
WTTJ and Africa were the only two I picked off that list. Never gets old hearing them.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2017, 10:58:19 AM »
I see your brother has better taste. :biggrin:

Not really. He and I each got an iron on Rush decal shirt. I was very into them, he really wasn't. He just got one too. Mind you this is right before the bomb that was Signals was released.

...and his Dad, as well.

My father is only 36 in this pic. And to think I had always considered him old, especially at that time. Amazing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »
Remember how much we sweated with those iron on decals? It was brutal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »
Remember how much we sweated with those iron on decals? It was brutal.

Yeah but before going to concerts and buying shirts that was the only option. I also had a Highway To Hell decal shirt. The HnD was an actual shirt shirt.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2017, 11:43:37 AM »
Mine was Ozzy "Blizzard of Ozz". Black with white sleeves (we called them "baseball shirts").   I was so sad when it started to peel.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »
I really like Jump and Billie Jean so those got my votes, but I also added Living on a Prayer and Don't Stop Believin, those two are classic party songs from my days at PSU.  No matter what bar or party you went to, a cover band or the DJ was playing those songs to get the place going nuts.  I feel like both those songs will be played at my wedding.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2017, 01:02:14 PM »
That was pretty easy for me:

Don't Stop Believin'
Africa
Livin' on a Prayer
Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Heat of the Moment

Every Breath You Take is ponderous.
Pour Some Sugar on me is insipid.
Welcome to the Jungle is ok, but (like every GnR) song, it's ruined by Axl's voice.
I know of no Prince song that I like.
Jack and Diane is ok.  Maybe the only Cougar/Mellencamp song that's halfway decent.
Billie Jean is ok.  Probably would be #7.
With or Without You is pretentious and bad.
Sledgehammer is quirky but not particularly good.
In the Air Tonight came close to beating out Everybody Wants to Rule the World but missed by a nose.
Jump is and always has been silly (not to say it's terrible, but....).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2017, 09:18:17 AM »
Tears
Mellencamp
Collins
Toto
Journey
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »
Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
Toto – Africa
Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean

Offline dparrott

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2017, 07:46:12 PM »
Billie Jean bassline FTW!  I can play that!

Damn it, I missed clicking Africa.  That was one of my first vinyl singles as a kid.

GNR and TFF also for me. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2017, 07:53:43 PM »
I cannot believe the love for Africa.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2017, 07:54:59 PM »

Greatest song humans have ever put to tape, man. Ever.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2017, 08:09:20 PM »
Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
Toto - Africa
U2 - With or Without You

This was hard as hell as all those songs are great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2017, 08:25:13 PM »
Africa is an amazing song on every level imaginable.

And it gives me a warm fuzzy to see so few votes for that Def Leppard vomit-fest.  Well done, DTF.  :tup :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »

Africa was a song 40-somethings liked because it was hip enough that they could turn it up when it came on the car radio and their kids would think they were cool without being rocking enough to blow out their ear drums. Also, dumbest lyric in rock music history. And I use the term "rock" very loosely here.

And as long as we are talking about the most overrated, unnecessarily hyped, drum fill that a one-armed 6 year old could come up with... In The Air Tonight.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2017, 08:40:47 PM »
Rubbish. ;)

That drum fill is one that people everywhere always air drum, which speaks to how cool it is.  Is it easy to play?  Probably, but so what?  The Smoke on the Water riff is easy to play, yet is one of the most recognizable guitar riffs ever.  Greatness is often found in simplicity.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »
This is a fantastic cover of Africa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHFcg1Bg83w

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »
There are far dumber lyrics in rock than any of the lyrics in Africa

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2017, 09:37:57 AM »
The weird thing about Africa is that there's nothing else in the rest of their discography (which is also really good) that sounds anything like it.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2017, 09:41:54 AM »
The weird thing about Africa is that there's nothing else in the rest of their discography (which is also really good) that sounds anything like it.

It is strange. Also a testament to their ability to write all kinds of music :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2017, 01:18:10 PM »

I don't know. I've never heard anything by Toto that I've found even remotely interesting.

Hold The Line is Toto, right. That song is OK.