Author Topic: James LaBrie Appreciation Thread  (Read 8748 times)

Offline dodido253

Re: James LaBrie Appreciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2017, 12:42:29 PM »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2017, 12:56:51 PM »
I love James' voice. I also appreciate his willingness to tone things down a bit now that he and the band are a bit older. At the show I attended a few days ago, he held back and altered the vocal melodies for the really tough bits.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2017, 01:01:30 PM »
I love his voice and he is a fun guy,he's one of the reasons i became a DT fan>And he's a major part of their succes.

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2017, 11:29:27 AM »
I just watched an interview with him on youtube so I wanted to share this one.  It's really interesting!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nta4ZknXESI

Tx

Offline Lethean

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2017, 12:22:03 PM »
I just watched that last night. :). Loved that he said they all more or less want to continue for at least ten more years.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2018, 12:21:32 PM »
I'm resurrecting this because reasons.

It's strange how people who go nuts over JLB's F# in Learning to Live tend to gloss over the fact that he (a 19-years-older "he", let's not forget) goes even higher on Build Me Up, Break Me Down ("BUILD....ME....UP..."). More should be made of that than currently is.

*appreciates*

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2018, 06:59:24 PM »

It's strange how people who go nuts over JLB's F# in Learning to Live tend to gloss over the fact that he (a 19-years-older "he", let's not forget) goes even higher on Build Me Up, Break Me Down ("BUILD....ME....UP..."). More should be made of that than currently is.

*appreciates*

Not taking anything away from that but it seems to be a less controlled, more brutal, screaming, in your face type of style.  Still amazing.

With that said, I'm an old school fan of DT but I would choose BMUBMD 90% of the time if I had to choose which one I would want to listen to.   :-X

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 01:36:16 AM »

*appreciates*

Which part of Build Me Up Break Me Down is higher than the F# in Learning To Live?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2018, 02:55:34 AM »

*appreciates*

Not taking anything away from that but it seems to be a less controlled, more brutal, screaming, in your face type of style.  Still amazing.
This. Besides, a big part of the F#5's charm is the epic buildup into it and how it in turn leads into JP's solo.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2018, 12:40:40 PM »

*appreciates*

Which part of Build Me Up Break Me Down is higher than the F# in Learning To Live?
I'm guessing RoeDent's referring to the screaming JL does that's buried in the mix underneath him singing Build...Me...Up....Break...Me...Down. It's worth noting that you can also hear this in the live version on L@LP, but of course it's backing tapes, not him singing it live, not just because he's singing the words at the same time, but also because there's no way he could pull it off without shredding his vocal cords.

Which brings up an interesting point to consider: it's one thing to be able to pull something off in the studio, in a controlled environment where one can perform repeated takes numerous times over a long period of time and have the advantage of studio doctoring, as opposed to pull it off live (on tour, in one take, in front of an audience). So while I'm not trying to take anything away from JL's vocal abilities (which, on his worst day, blow away my pathetic attempts to sing), praising what he can do within the studio is not the same thing as what he can do live. I mean, I'd wager he could probably pull off the F# in a re-recording of LtL in the studio for the reasons I mentioned above, but he certainly was unable to do it on this latest tour. Yes, the setlist last year was taxing on him, but keep in mind that even on previous tours where LtL was played inconsistently (with rotating setlists), often he struggled with it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Evai

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2018, 01:54:27 PM »
It's not hard to sing one note, he's never struggled with it. Singing any section of Metropolis is a lot more demanding
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2018, 03:05:33 PM »
Yes, the setlist last year was taxing on him, but keep in mind that even on previous tours where LtL was played inconsistently (with rotating setlists), often he struggled with it.

...and often, he nailed it. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2018, 03:09:26 PM »
Love JLB.  Really appreciate his role in DT.  While he may not be able to do what he once was, he's still an awesome singer in my book.  Really can't wait to see his solo band this fall, his solo music really makes me appreciate him more since he gets to do something a little different and it's still awesome.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »
JLB is amazing. I love him. He is a true frontman, a leader (in his solo work).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:41:05 PM by vazquez »
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline Fiat Lux

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2018, 08:02:58 PM »
I’m a big fan of James LaBrie from the start. But his effort on The Astonishing is just astonishing.  One of the great rock vocal efforts of recent times.  James, through voice alone, gives life and credibility to a big cast of very different characters.  I can’t begin to imagine how hard that was to accomplish.

I tips my hat to JLB and remind his fellow band members how lucky they are to have him. Like all of them, I think he’s getting better with age.

Cheers

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2018, 06:59:55 AM »
The smile of dawn AND our dear James arrived early May!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAMES!!!   :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2018, 01:43:08 PM »
But his effort on The Astonishing is just astonishing.  One of the great rock vocal efforts of recent times.  James, through voice alone, gives life and credibility to a big cast of very different characters.  I can’t begin to imagine how hard that was to accomplish.

While I'm nat a big fan of The Astonishing, I think James' performance on the album was excellent. To me, he was the shining member of the group on TA.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »
To be honest, James is the main reason why I give a spin to TA. He is the MVP of the album for me.

Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2018, 03:00:03 PM »
To be honest, James is the main reason why I give a spin to TA. He is the MVP of the album for me.

Without question. He is amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2018, 12:58:06 AM »
But his effort on The Astonishing is just astonishing.  One of the great rock vocal efforts of recent times.  James, through voice alone, gives life and credibility to a big cast of very different characters.  I can’t begin to imagine how hard that was to accomplish.

While I'm nat a big fan of The Astonishing, I think James' performance on the album was excellent. To me, he was the shining member of the group on TA.

YES.  :tup
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2018, 08:36:47 PM »
+1 to all saying that James is the MVP of The Astonishing.  But I love the album too so he's not the "only" reason I listen to it.  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2018, 09:20:30 PM »
I nitpick a lot of James's live appearances but boy did he do The Astonishing justice live, from the soft to the heavy parts, and even the really Train of Thought-ish fast part in Act 2. Had me in my seat all like :metardica:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2018, 01:28:59 AM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2018, 03:30:41 AM »
I appreciate his studio work.

Offline gzarruk

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline shaneandheather2010

« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »
And I've never met him in person, but he also seems like a super chill and funny dude from interviews and such.

I've met him twice at Meet and Greets, and his is very talkative and antimated, the most personable one in the band...next to Mangini of course!!!  :rollin

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2018, 01:08:28 AM »
He's the only DT member I ever met (when he toured solo) and I can confirm his kindess and chillness!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2018, 02:33:46 PM »
I'm gonna go on record about those LaBrie burgers and say I just don't know.  Sometimes less is more James. 

Offline Addy

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2018, 09:30:08 AM »
I love JLB, he's one of the main reasons for my appreciation for the band. He is great on albums, has an original voice and fits DT the way no other singer would. Also, he was great live for many years.

Yes, was.

Let's be objective guys. He's been hit or miss for at least 15 years on tours. Live at Budokan or SC/BC&SL tours are proofs (to name a few). He then came back on ADTOE tour and was pretty ok for a couple of years. But last year, sorry, he was far from acceptable. Changing vocal lines on I&W songs didn't help at all. He struggled with TGOM, which is from their latest release. And yes, I've seen them on every tour since 2007, so my opinion is not based on YT videos.

Just to clarify. I'm not trying to bash him or be a hater. As I mentioned, I love his vocals. I just don't understand how can some people be ignorant and say he's spot on.

This is a great insight on JLB by a professional vocal coach talking about what's the reason of JLB's decline and how he may have destroyed his voice during the years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3fGgEciPcI

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2018, 06:19:53 PM »
I think JLB does a really great job of representing the band. My close friends and family have heard a lot of DT over the years, since they're around me. They are not any kind of super-fan... but they like rock music. To all of them, it's James LaBrie's band. They aren't necessarily listening to the bass, or the drums, or any one instrument when they listen to music, and they aren't going to memorize the names of all the people in any band. But they recognize DT by JLB, and they recognize a DT song once he starts singing. They aren't ever going to listen to Shmedley Wilcox or Intstramedley... but they'll gladly listen to the new DT songs when they come out, and judge it largely by JLBs look, sound, and performance. I think he is up to the task.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »
I think JLB does a really great job of representing the band. My close friends and family have heard a lot of DT over the years, since they're around me. They are not any kind of super-fan... but they like rock music. To all of them, it's James LaBrie's band. They aren't necessarily listening to the bass, or the drums, or any one instrument when they listen to music, and they aren't going to memorize the names of all the people in any band. But they recognize DT by JLB, and they recognize a DT song once he starts singing. They aren't ever going to listen to Shmedley Wilcox or Intstramedley... but they'll gladly listen to the new DT songs when they come out, and judge it largely by JLBs look, sound, and performance. I think he is up to the task.

Even my dad, who likes one song or another but is not huge into DT, recognizes James' voice instantly and knows it's DT.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2018, 07:37:45 PM »
He’s an awesome vocalist who can do the soft-sung ballads as well as he belts out the epics, and is pretty good with the gravely rock voice as well. He is the voice of DT, through and through.  The idea of replacing him after Six Degrees (as told in the Lifting Shadows book) is ridiculous. Also, his solo stuff may be my favorite “side project” stuff from these guys.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2018, 01:23:55 AM »

Excellent point.

James is DT's voice, he's been on every album but one. If he departs for Mars to bring some vocal awesomeness there and DT need a new singer, no one else would sound "right". You could get the best prog metal singer around, an unknown phenomeon, Freddie Mercury reincarnated.... it just wouldn't sound like DT anymore.

Offline Evai

« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2018, 04:27:00 AM »
James is DT's voice, he's been on every album but one. If he departs for Mars to bring some vocal awesomeness there and DT need a new singer, no one else would sound "right". You could get the best prog metal singer around, an unknown phenomeon, Freddie Mercury reincarnated.... it just wouldn't sound like DT anymore.

That'll just be your controversial opinion, while the rest of us get used to the new, Labrie-less DT and convince ourselves it's better
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2018, 04:32:16 AM »
James not being a part of DT anymore would be just as bad as Bruce Dickinson not being in Maiden, Rob Halford not being in Priest or Ozzy Osbourne not begin in Sabbath. Sure, they probably would go on to have a more than adequate career, but it wouldn't be the same.