Author Topic: James LaBrie Appreciation Thread  (Read 1962 times)

Offline dodido253

Re: James LaBrie Appreciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2017, 12:42:29 PM »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2017, 12:56:51 PM »
I love James' voice. I also appreciate his willingness to tone things down a bit now that he and the band are a bit older. At the show I attended a few days ago, he held back and altered the vocal melodies for the really tough bits.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2017, 01:01:30 PM »
I love his voice and he is a fun guy,he's one of the reasons i became a DT fan>And he's a major part of their succes.

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2017, 11:29:27 AM »
I just watched an interview with him on youtube so I wanted to share this one.  It's really interesting!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nta4ZknXESI

Tx

Online Lethean

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2017, 12:22:03 PM »
I just watched that last night. :). Loved that he said they all more or less want to continue for at least ten more years.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2018, 12:21:32 PM »
I'm resurrecting this because reasons.

It's strange how people who go nuts over JLB's F# in Learning to Live tend to gloss over the fact that he (a 19-years-older "he", let's not forget) goes even higher on Build Me Up, Break Me Down ("BUILD....ME....UP..."). More should be made of that than currently is.

*appreciates*
And you may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2018, 06:59:24 PM »

It's strange how people who go nuts over JLB's F# in Learning to Live tend to gloss over the fact that he (a 19-years-older "he", let's not forget) goes even higher on Build Me Up, Break Me Down ("BUILD....ME....UP..."). More should be made of that than currently is.

*appreciates*

Not taking anything away from that but it seems to be a less controlled, more brutal, screaming, in your face type of style.  Still amazing.

With that said, I'm an old school fan of DT but I would choose BMUBMD 90% of the time if I had to choose which one I would want to listen to.   :-X

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 01:36:16 AM »

*appreciates*

Which part of Build Me Up Break Me Down is higher than the F# in Learning To Live?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2018, 02:55:34 AM »

*appreciates*

Not taking anything away from that but it seems to be a less controlled, more brutal, screaming, in your face type of style.  Still amazing.
This. Besides, a big part of the F#5's charm is the epic buildup into it and how it in turn leads into JP's solo.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2018, 12:40:40 PM »

*appreciates*

Which part of Build Me Up Break Me Down is higher than the F# in Learning To Live?
I'm guessing RoeDent's referring to the screaming JL does that's buried in the mix underneath him singing Build...Me...Up....Break...Me...Down. It's worth noting that you can also hear this in the live version on L@LP, but of course it's backing tapes, not him singing it live, not just because he's singing the words at the same time, but also because there's no way he could pull it off without shredding his vocal cords.

Which brings up an interesting point to consider: it's one thing to be able to pull something off in the studio, in a controlled environment where one can perform repeated takes numerous times over a long period of time and have the advantage of studio doctoring, as opposed to pull it off live (on tour, in one take, in front of an audience). So while I'm not trying to take anything away from JL's vocal abilities (which, on his worst day, blow away my pathetic attempts to sing), praising what he can do within the studio is not the same thing as what he can do live. I mean, I'd wager he could probably pull off the F# in a re-recording of LtL in the studio for the reasons I mentioned above, but he certainly was unable to do it on this latest tour. Yes, the setlist last year was taxing on him, but keep in mind that even on previous tours where LtL was played inconsistently (with rotating setlists), often he struggled with it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Evai

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2018, 01:54:27 PM »
It's not hard to sing one note, he's never struggled with it. Singing any section of Metropolis is a lot more demanding
You are acting very strange!

Nervous and on edge!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2018, 03:05:33 PM »
Yes, the setlist last year was taxing on him, but keep in mind that even on previous tours where LtL was played inconsistently (with rotating setlists), often he struggled with it.

...and often, he nailed it. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2018, 03:09:26 PM »
Love JLB.  Really appreciate his role in DT.  While he may not be able to do what he once was, he's still an awesome singer in my book.  Really can't wait to see his solo band this fall, his solo music really makes me appreciate him more since he gets to do something a little different and it's still awesome.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »
JLB is amazing. I love him. He is a true frontman, a leader (in his solo work).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:41:05 PM by vazquez »
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline Fiat Lux

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2018, 08:02:58 PM »
Iím a big fan of James LaBrie from the start. But his effort on The Astonishing is just astonishing.  One of the great rock vocal efforts of recent times.  James, through voice alone, gives life and credibility to a big cast of very different characters.  I canít begin to imagine how hard that was to accomplish.

I tips my hat to JLB and remind his fellow band members how lucky they are to have him. Like all of them, I think heís getting better with age.

Cheers