Author Topic: Which songs would you like to be represented in DT14's tour?  (Read 4279 times)

Offline bill1971

Re: Which songs would you like to be represented in DT14's tour?
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2017, 02:26:56 PM »
6:00
Raise the Knife
Cover my Eyes
Home
Glass Prison
In the Name of God
Octavarium, at least from 12 or 13 minutes in
In the Presence Part 1
Wither
Lost Not Forgotten
Surrender to reason
Beyond the Veil

A cover of Labyrinth by Sons of Apollo 

Gone, not coming back...a track name off the new album. Yes I made that up. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
Just realized I didn't actually respond to the thread itself.  My short list would be (in album order because that's easiest):

The Killing Hand (my favorite from WDADU)
Take Away My Pain (one of my favorite ballads from them, and I have never seen it)
Burning My Soul (not a favorite, but I believe it would be a great live song)
Home
The Glass Prison (please!!!)
Misunderstood (I think I've seen it twice, but it has been awhile)
In the Name of God (It's time to bring it back)
Octavarium (not likely, but it would be cool)
ITPOE I (or the whole thing)
A Nightmare To Remember (please!!!)
The Count of Tuscany (obviously, not ALL of the epics I am listing)
Behind the Veil

Any of those would be great.  The bolded ones are the ones I want most.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online geeeemo

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 04:08:08 PM »

Why not likely?  Seems like it is on almost everyone's wish list. Mine too!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2017, 04:10:07 PM »

Why not likely?  Seems like it is on almost everyone's wish list. Mine too!

Yeah, but you never know.  Threads like this get brought to the band's attention.  And if something like this can be done without interfering with what the band wants to do, they do take what fans want to hear seriously. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2017, 09:56:06 PM »
I was looking at the songs that the current lineup have yet to play, and I'd like to take another shot at this using that list (not just the ones I haven't seen). They've played a lot from Scenes and before, not a lot from SDOIT to BC&SL...

The Killing Hand or Only a Matter of Time
***Nothing from Images please***
Erotomania (Innocence Faded or Voices would be tough on James, gotta give him a break)
New Millennium or Hollow Years
HOME! (or Through Her Eyes)
The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul or Stream of Consciousness
I Walk Beside You
In the Presence of Enemies - Part I
A Rite of Passage
Bring back Outcry!!
Surrender to Reason
***maybe one song from Astonishing***
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2017, 01:12:04 PM »
I was looking at the songs that the current lineup have yet to play, and I'd like to take another shot at this using that list (not just the ones I haven't seen). They've played a lot from Scenes and before, not a lot from SDOIT to BC&SL...

The Killing Hand or Only a Matter of Time
***Nothing from Images please***
Erotomania (Innocence Faded or Voices would be tough on James, gotta give him a break)
New Millennium or Hollow Years
HOME! (or Through Her Eyes)
The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul or Stream of Consciousness
I Walk Beside You
In the Presence of Enemies - Part I
A Rite of Passage
Bring back Outcry!!
Surrender to Reason
***maybe one song from Astonishing***

I'm with you on most songs here, the only one I think we'll never see again is New Millenium, because James doesn't like to sing that one. The only one I don't think they'd do is TDS.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2017, 01:31:58 PM »
I don't recall whether I've personally seen NM live (I know I could look it up, but it's not that important to me).  I like the song quite a bit, but I don't ever put it on my "I wish they would play" lists because I feel like we have pretty good, definitive live versions on various releases, whether it be the album arrangement on L@B, Caught In a New Millenium from LSFNY, or Caught In Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden from Old Bridge.  So, I feel like it's easy to get my live NM fix anytime I want.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2017, 09:34:45 AM »
I couldn't post the link to it yesterday, but here's the exact quote of James talking about NM in 2011:

Here’s a question that a fan asked me to bring up: What are your favorite and least favorite songs to perform live?

Uuuuuh… Least favorite… I would say, probably… I don’t know… New Millennium. That song, I just didn’t feel it. There were some cool moments in it, I just didn’t… whenever we performed it, I didn’t feel it. The favorite song for me is… I love Scarred, I love performing that live. And… well, Octavarium, that whole frickin’ thing… Ministry of Lost Souls and that… I don’t know… Octavarium in itself, this song, I loved performing. I thought it was an amazing song. It’s kinda hard. That’s a hard question to answer cause there’s so many moments that I know… cause 99 percent of the songs, I love singing.

Taken from: https://www.prog-sphere.com/interviews/resurfacing-an-interview-with-james-labrie/

The song isn't really bad, and the instrumental break is pretty cool, but I agree with James, something doesn't feel right about it, at least to me. If they were going to include another rarely played song from FII, I'm with Bosk on bringing TAMP back :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2017, 11:04:26 AM »
That's a fantastic interview and I've always loved the transcript, with all the "I don't know"s and "you know"s.  :lol

New Millenium is not a bad song, it's fairly okay, and the live version on Budokan is pretty awesome. But it probably wouldn't be one of my live favorites if they went for that one.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2017, 09:35:23 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing ITPOE part 1 played live but it looks like they haven't played it since 2009. I've been taking a stab at the riffs on my acoustic (I'm not at all good but it's fun learning new things of course) and it's such a neat little piece. Kind of a long one too. But I'd take it over Dark Eternal Night...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2017, 01:46:35 AM »
I would also love to hear TAMP live. Such an underrated ballad from them.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2017, 06:17:21 AM »
I keep replying to these threads with "The Killing Hand" - it's not happened yet, so I suspect it's unlikely.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2017, 08:21:49 AM »
I keep replying to these threads with "The Killing Hand" - it's not happened yet, so I suspect it's unlikely.

It's unlikely but 2019 will mark the 30th anniversary of WDADU so they could possibly perform it. Also Bosk has stated that threads like this could be read by the band..

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2017, 01:17:48 PM »
Octavarium
ITPOE pt. 1 (It'd be awesome in full)
Stream of Consciousness
Misunderstood
Blind Faith
Erotomania/Voices
Peruvian Skies
Home
The Count of Tuscany
Surrender to Reason
Three Days
A Savior In The Square/When Your Time Has Come
Chosen
This Is The Life
Outcry
Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy
Beyond This Life
Disappear
The Ministry of Lost Souls
Endless Sacrifice
In The Name of God
Only A Matter of Time

and intro music False Awakening Suite
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2017, 01:47:45 PM »
Since it will likely be the 25th anniversary of Awake when they tour again, I'll need a nice handful of songs from that disc -- preferably Awake songs they didn't play on the DT12 tour.  :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2017, 01:57:24 PM »
Since it will likely be the 25th anniversary of Awake when they tour again, I'll need a nice handful of songs from that disc -- preferably Awake songs they didn't play on the DT12 tour.  :)

No way you'll get a handful, but JP has done a great job with the setlists so far, in terms of variety of songs played so I could definitely see Voices being played.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2017, 02:12:11 PM »

No way you'll get a handful, but JP has done a great job with the setlists so far, in terms of variety of songs played so I could definitely see Voices being played.

Yeah, maybe the AMBI suite will make a comeback for that.  I was feeling like those songs were overplayed for a stretch.  But it has been awhile, so I wouldn't mind.  And aside from those and Lifting Shadows, the rest of the album has been played on recent tours, so that would be a good run of songs.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2017, 02:43:44 PM »
I could see them pulling out out a song from BC&SL for its tenth anniversary. Maybe ANTR?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2017, 02:44:38 PM »
I could see them pulling out out a song from BC&SL for its tenth anniversary. Maybe ANTR?

But who would do the rough vox day after day and night after night?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2017, 02:53:22 PM »

But who would do the rough vox day after day and night after night?

JP(?)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »
It'd be James prerecorded and lip synched by JP.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2017, 03:10:49 PM »
I think they should do it with the original vocal lines JP had for James.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2017, 03:14:16 PM »
Well, that's 0 for 3, so I guess that reference fizzled.  :lol

(I think) they should just skip them altogether if they even do play it. But I haven't heard the original ideas in quite a long time.

Offline Evai

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2017, 03:41:03 PM »
-They could have the crowd sing it
-JLB could rip a shredding solo over the chords instead
-Guest vocalist! Maybe that screaming guy who was gonna do it in the first place
- Not do the whole song, maybe incorporate it into a medley that also includes the Best Of Times solo
-Surprise appearance of Mike Portnoy
- Derek also shows up and with their rockin personalities, DT can't help but be moved off the stage
-Sons of apollo show
-???
-profit
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2017, 05:12:28 PM »
Well, that's 0 for 3, so I guess that reference fizzled.  :lol

(I think) they should just skip them altogether if they even do play it. But I haven't heard the original ideas in quite a long time.

What do mean? I don't think anyone missed the reference... unless I'm missing something else?

To further expand on my response - I have no desire to hear those vocals as they are on the album. I thought they were pretty awful, and they were even worse live.

Skipping it works for me, especially with an added JP solo as  Evai suggested.  Or have JL sing it in a way that fits the lyrics, it being a miracle and all... :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2017, 06:02:04 PM »
No, I think you got it, it was just a very elementary reference  :lol Skipping it would be best  :)

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2017, 12:25:51 AM »
Speaking of ANTR the 'day after day' part could be done easily by Petrucci as he has already done some screaming parts in TDEN (I burned with a thirst..). A big surprise will be having them perform TBOT, maybe they could actually ask MP, I am pretty sure there is still someone in the band still in touch with him, maybe JP.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »
-JLB could rip a shredding solo over the chords instead

A "shredding solo" by JLB?!  Maybe on the flute, a la Ian Anderson?  That would be...umm...interesting.

IMO, the only BC&SL songs worth playing are Wither, The Shattered Fortress and The Count of Tuscany.

Given MP's recent comments (https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-has-no-desire-or-interest-to-play-with-dream-theater-again/) a guest appearance isn't likely anytime in the foreseeable future, even though he's "on very good terms" with JP and JR.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Evai

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »
Interesting, Wither is one of the songs I'd choose to leave out. The lyrics are good, but the song is very very pop. It's like a slower version of this emo song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEw3aw5huc0
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2017, 08:54:05 PM »
Interesting, Wither is one of the songs I'd choose to leave out. The lyrics are good, but the song is very very pop. It's like a slower version of this emo song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEw3aw5huc0

I think THIS is the real pop version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJbTyFzqZu0 :rollin

Given MP's recent comments (https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-has-no-desire-or-interest-to-play-with-dream-theater-again/) a guest appearance isn't likely anytime in the foreseeable future, even though he's "on very good terms" with JP and JR.

And that's the best outcome, imo. Mike's clearly bitter about it, but I think he's finally (after 7 years) getting over it. Everything would've been better if he had a different attitude towards them after the split, though, but it it what it is.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2017, 01:54:25 PM »
(Sorry for the THIRD list of songs... I just can't help myself. This is probably the most interesting thing about following DT... all the different combos of songs you can use to make up a set!)

So, I did some research about what the band has played in my city/state (Boston, MA). Below is a list of songs that I would be alright seeing DT play next tour, or any other after. Note that I am not including any of the songs that have been played post-2010 because I'm most interested in seeing the old songs that have yet to be played by the current lineup, and with the exception of On The Backs of Angels and (especially) Breaking All Illusions, I would welcome a replay of any song from the Mangini-era. B-Sides are also not included below.

(The date in parentheses is the last time they played it in Boston):

NEVER PLAYED
Afterlife
You Not Me
Take Away My Pain
Anna Lee
Disappear
The Answer Lies Within
Repentance
The Best of Times
Far From Heaven
Behind the Veil
Surrender to Reason

PLAYED ONCE
Status Seeker (1993)
Light Fuse and Get Away (2004)
The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun (1994)
Only a Matter of Time (1992)
Innocence Faded (1994)
Regression (2000)
Through Her Eyes (2000)
Blind Faith (2007)
Goodnight Kiss (2002)
Honor Thy Father (2005)
Vacant (2004)
I Walk Beside You (2006)
Never Enough (2005)
Sacrificed Sons (2006)
Octavarium (2006)
Prophets of War (2009)
The Ministry of Lost Souls (2008)
In the Presence of Enemies - Part 2 (2007)
Wither (2010)

PLAYED TWICE
Burning My Soul (2002)
Just Let Me Breathe (2005)
One Last Time (2009)
The Glass Prison (2004)
Misunderstood (2008)
The Great Debate (2003)
About to Crash (2006)
About to Crash (Reprise) (2004)
Losing Time/Grand Finale (2004)
Stream of Consciousness (2004)
In the Presence of Enemies - Part 1 (2008)
Constant Motion (2010)
A Nightmare to Remember (2010)
A Rite of Passage (2010)
The Count of Tuscany (2010)

PLAYED THRICE
The Killing Hand (2002)
Caught In A Web (2006)
New Millennium (2002)
Lines in the Sand (2007)
Beyond This Life (2008)
Solitary Shell (2009)
In the Name of God (2009)
Panic Attack (2010)

PLAYED FOUR OR MORE TIMES
Erotomania (2008)
Voices (2008)
Peruvian Skies (2004)
Hollow Years (2010)
Home (2010)

Also, as Ben_Jamin pointed out before, they really need to bring back False Awakening Suite as their intro music!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.