Author Topic: My concerns for James  (Read 9575 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: My concerns for James
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2017, 02:56:09 PM »
I skipped ahead to 12:48, and I really don't think it was that bad... Towards the end, around 13 something when he's going for Love, it could be better. But overall, through the whole song, which I went back to, I think it's fine and most people at the show would be fine with it.

As for him looking bored or not wanting to be there, he doesn't look that way to me. In fact on this tour Is think he has stepped things up on stage.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2017, 03:02:41 PM »
I don't see anything unusual with James on the video or at the 12:48 mark. I did see however James touching/adjusting his right and then left in-ear monitor so there might have been an issue with monitors.

Offline Evai

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2017, 03:29:48 PM »
I was expecting a lot worse, that section was actually pretty good :) You shoulda said watch from 2:52.. But either way, it's easy to cherrypick bad performances from any artist, and it always sounds a lot better in person
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2017, 03:32:34 PM »
I'm being completely honest, if he ever looks frustrated, it's probably because he's singing in ball-crunchingly difficult vocal territory every night for god knows how many months on this IW&Beyond tour and he's straining. I don't think James is tired of DT at all. They just need to hang up the stupidly high-register songs after this tour and cater to his strengths. Singing within a comfortable range makes a live show so much better.

My two cents, he seemed completely happy both times I've seen him in the last year.
I think I agree with this. As much as we all love good ole Images & Words songs, after a whole year of touring them I think they should let them rest for a good while.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline pg1067

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2017, 04:16:54 PM »
Can i ask then....
This show
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=BQa4vbwsZKw
In Hamburg...
Listen to the vocals.... is this really DT's standards??
This is the point i am trying to get at...
Skip ahead to 12:48 even and listen...

This is where my concern is. It isnt me... This is from early on in the tour and you can see it on his face. Something isnt right...
Can anyone with a straight face say "WOW, This is AWESOME"..
Im not tryin to beat the guy down but this is not standard JLB. Hence why there has been discussions here and there by some fans...

I just brought it here as no one seemed to wanna ask it...

I can't watch YouTube videos at the office, but I'm trying to figure out what your ultimate point is with all of this.  You started the thread by asking whether James is "getting fed up and bored," but now you seem to be saying he lacks or no longer has the vocal chops to do his job.  Those are two very different issues (although one certainly could play into the other).  As has already been said, no one can say they know how he feels (except by reading his own personal statements), so the question you asked originally is ultimately unanswerable.  As far as his vocal chops, I've seen really good stuff on YouTube, and I've seen bad stuff too.  Heck, the whole performance on Chaos in Motion is substandard.  This is nothing new.  For all I know, he had some bad Schnitzel before the Hamburg performance and wasn't feeling good.  However, I thought he was very strong the night I saw them (not flawless, but very strong).  But if you want to criticize his live performances, have at it.  Ultimately, his ability to continue doing his job as he gets older will be his biggest challenge ever.  He's going to have to face it and, maybe, he and/or the rest of the band will decide that the best thing for the band going forward is to get a younger singer who can perform what are some very challenging vocal parts.  Until and unless that happens, I won't worry about it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2017, 04:26:57 PM »
and it always sounds a lot better in person

This brings up an interesting point. We always have the "HE SOUNDED GREAT IN PERSON!" thing, and then a recording will show that he probably didn't sound very good. Happens to all of us due to the atmosphere and energy. But it brings up a good question.

What's more important? The actual performance or our enjoyment of it? If we think a bad performance is good, is that less important than the actual bad performance itself? I mean, all of this is really just a performance anyway.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2017, 05:10:08 PM »
I think often it sounds better in person because shitty phone recordings don't do higher frequencies justice. But *breaking news* it's hard for James to sing things that were pushing the limits of his range 25 years ago. Obviously he has his good an bad nights, but like other people are saying: All DT has to do is write songs that cater to his strengths and he'll be fine. I'm sure struggling to hit notes for an entire tour is frustrating, and understandably so, but otherwise I think he's having a good time. I saw them at the Wichita show and James sounded good, and seemed like he was having fun playing around with the melodies and grooving with the other members. Plus his "story time with DT" segment was funny as shit.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2017, 05:25:19 PM »
Maybe you should put a poll on FB :biggrin:

Winner.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2017, 05:54:25 PM »
Can i ask then....
This show
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=BQa4vbwsZKw
In Hamburg...
Listen to the vocals.... is this really DT's standards??
This is the point i am trying to get at...
Skip ahead to 12:48 even and listen...

This is where my concern is. It isnt me... This is from early on in the tour and you can see it on his face. Something isnt right...
Can anyone with a straight face say "WOW, This is AWESOME"..
Im not tryin to beat the guy down but this is not standard JLB. Hence why there has been discussions here and there by some fans...

I just brought it here as no one seemed to wanna ask it...

James sounded great there.  I've been open in admitting he has some off nights.  When I saw him there were some songs he didn't sound great on and others he sounded killer. 

One thing that is almost indisputable though is that he seems to be having more fun on this tour than any other tour in at least the last ten years.  I mean, the last several times I've seen DT they all seemed like they were having a blast including James, but he was in rare form on this tour.  Lots of jokes, great stage presence, etc. 

So yeah...the original post and the one I quoted are sort of odd.  He's having a blast. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2017, 05:58:20 PM »
He is singing an album night after night that he recorded 25 years ago, so I think we have to give him a break.  I haven't really watched many clips from this tour and what I've heard I agree isn't the best, but it's certainly not the worst.  It's great that the band can celebrate this milestone for such a great album.  I'm sure fans appreciated the tour and yeah, maybe perhaps now it's done in the future the setlists can focus more around James and where his strengths are at the moment.

As for saying if this is DT standards or not, that's a harsh call I think.  That's like expecting your fav sporting team to win every single game they play and win the championship every single year.  DT are human beings, and at their age and the demanding music they create, what they are still able to do night after night is incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2017, 06:46:01 PM »

This brings up an interesting point. We always have the "HE SOUNDED GREAT IN PERSON!" thing, and then a recording will show that he probably didn't sound very good. Happens to all of us due to the atmosphere and energy. But it brings up a good question.

What's more important? The actual performance or our enjoyment of it? If we think a bad performance is good, is that less important than the actual bad performance itself? I mean, all of this is really just a performance anyway.

This is a good point. I'll be seeing them tomorrow for the first time and I suspect LaBrie's gonna sound really good. Even if he doesn't sound great, I don't think he'll sound terrible. I'm not gonna stand there and try to pick out every off note.

From what I've seen (various live clips & interviews) LaBrie seems happy with his career.

I think often it sounds better in person because shitty phone recordings don't do higher frequencies justice.

I don't think a phone recording can make difficult vocal parts sound off key. If that were the case, wouldn't the whole band sound off during those parts? 
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2017, 07:13:11 PM »

In my opinion, if it sounded good to you at the show, then it was good.  What you experience while you're actually there - that's the show.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2017, 09:44:03 PM »
Let's all just appreciate when James was a god:

https://youtu.be/xMau-rb_BxQ

Like, wow. What a voice.

EDIT: Or this: https://youtu.be/3LRAIPvY-kU - holy crap!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:49:17 PM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2017, 09:46:29 PM »
I just got home from seeing the band in boston. James seemed like he was having fun to me.

Overall I thought he sounded fine. the I&W stuff is where he was the most shaky which is understandable, but I thought he was great for A change of seasons which was the song I was looking forward to hearing most.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 02:25:43 AM »

In my opinion, if it sounded good to you at the show, then it was good.  What you experience while you're actually there - that's the show.

This.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2017, 03:34:03 AM »

Cut the man some slack.   Singing DT is not easy, especially night after night.

Yeah, and also day after day.

Did they ever see the red light
Roooooooaaaaaaarrrrrrr!!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2017, 06:53:17 AM »

It's a good question. This isn't really a direct answer to your question, but it got me thinking. Isn't it more important that it does "sound great in person" rather than on YouTube? At the end of the day, those folks paid to see the show, the show is being performed for them, not for some dude watching on YouTube the next day. So I'd wager if folks think it tends to sound better in person, that's what really matters.

Kinda the same way I feel about rotating sets to be honest. If keeping a static set makes the show and band tighter for the audience that paid money to see them, I think that's a good thing. If that bothers people that check setlist.fm or YouTube after shows because they aren't seeing new things from show to show, that's okay because the show wasn't really for them, it was for the people who were actually there. Being able to see a portion of or the whole thing on YouTube afterwards is a total luxury and nothing more.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2017, 07:01:30 AM »
Judging a show from the setlist on Setlist.fm is a bit like judging a movie from reading the detailed plot on Wikipedia. Yes, that's the list of what actually happens in both cases, but it's at the concert / movie theater that you actually see the show unfold, and live the proper experience.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline don_waka

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2017, 12:51:20 PM »
Just saw a video of him singing recently and boy, he's done.  :-\

Offline Lethean

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2017, 01:05:57 PM »

It's a good question. This isn't really a direct answer to your question, but it got me thinking. Isn't it more important that it does "sound great in person" rather than on YouTube? At the end of the day, those folks paid to see the show, the show is being performed for them, not for some dude watching on YouTube the next day. So I'd wager if folks think it tends to sound better in person, that's what really matters.

Kinda the same way I feel about rotating sets to be honest. If keeping a static set makes the show and band tighter for the audience that paid money to see them, I think that's a good thing. If that bothers people that check setlist.fm or YouTube after shows because they aren't seeing new things from show to show, that's okay because the show wasn't really for them, it was for the people who were actually there. Being able to see a portion of or the whole thing on YouTube afterwards is a total luxury and nothing more.

I agree with you 100% about the show being for those who are actually there. I don't want them to rotate so I get to see stuff on youtube.  I want them to do it so I get to see a variety of songs and there's an element of surprise and added excitement at each show I see. I wouldn't mind them being a little less tight if they were mixing things up. But I gotta say, I saw plenty of shows where they did mix things up and never came away thinking that they weren't tight.

That having been said, if the band would truly be unhappy rotating the set, then so be it. I'd rather them be enjoying themselves, which they very clearly are on this tour, and want to continue touring for as many years as possible, than to burn themselves out.

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2017, 01:25:56 PM »
At least i see im not the only one then who has this concern
Solo Album in the making.....

Offline No Filter Loki

• Banned
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2017, 01:29:21 PM »

I’m a huge DT and I’ve seen them 22 times over the years. They were my introduction to prog.

To me there are concerns for his health, he is incredibly over weight which must effect his vocals?

The 22 live performances I’ve seen were always poor, he performed best when he was sat in his black box.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2017, 01:33:15 PM »
All I can say is that you need to see the show for yourself. I've seen quite a few, and he's been fine. There may be a few notes that don't come out right, especially on the I&W stuff, but over the course of snow entire show, it's a very good performance. Many people leave the show talking about how good he was, even if they wish he didn't have to alter some of the highest notes.

Offline No Filter Loki

• Banned
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2017, 01:39:51 PM »
All I can say is that you need to see the show for yourself. I've seen quite a few, and he's been fine. There may be a few notes that don't come out right, especially on the I&W stuff, but over the course of snow entire show, it's a very good performance. Many people leave the show talking about how good he was, even if they wish he didn't have to alter some of the highest notes.

Dude I’ve seen DT 22 times, which means I’ve seen Labrie 22 times. I never came away from a show thinking he was great. I can name more moments of those awful notes he hits than positives. Those notes sound like a dying cat. Actually cringeworthy and embarrassing.

He needs to retire he really does! He was never a great vocalist in the first place, but now he knocking on, he’s over weight and his voice is worse than ever.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »
"Incredibly over weight."

Oh my god.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2017, 01:45:20 PM »

Yeah seriously. I wouldn't say he's even a little bit over weight.

And dude, I've seen DT way more than 22 times, which means I've seen JL way more than 22 times, and the majority of the time he's been great.

Offline No Filter Loki

• Banned
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2017, 01:58:37 PM »

Yeah seriously. I wouldn't say he's even a little bit over weight.

And dude, I've seen DT way more than 22 times, which means I've seen JL way more than 22 times, and the majority of the time he's been great.

He’s over weight, simple as! He looks bloated! When he shaves his head he will look like Blaze Bayley or Geoff Tate.

Consider this, if Mangini, Myung, Petrucci or Rudess made errors during performance and sounded out of tune would excuses be made for them or would they be called out for the mistakes they made? I’m pretty sure they would put those mistakes right in future performances. Labrie consistently sounds out of tune!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2017, 02:08:43 PM »
Uh, no. Not simple as. I've seen him in person, and his weight is very much "normal." And guess what - Petrucci, Myung, Rudess, and probably Mangini do make mistakes. Probably more than I ever notice.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2017, 02:10:13 PM »
The voice is also a completely different animal from any other in the group. The voice ages. A keyboard doesn't age, per se. It's not really fair to compare the two.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2017, 03:07:15 PM »
The voice is also a completely different animal from any other in the group. The voice ages. A keyboard doesn't age, per se. It's not really fair to compare the two.

Also if Petrucci or Rudess has a minor cold, that doesn't affect their playing. A singer doesn't have that luxury.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2017, 06:38:45 PM »
This No Filter guy writes like a Del Fuvio fan boy.

btw.... I was lucky enough to see Freddie Mercury and Queen seven times.  I've listened to dozens upon dozens of concerts.  There were many times that he flubbed the lyrics and where his voice cracked or was off for much of the show.  He probably made more than his share of mistakes, and hit off notes on the nights I was there.  I recall zero, because I had a ball, and don't have any tapes of those shows.

Terrible singer.  Wouldn't recommend a listen to any of his live performances.  ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2017, 08:38:35 PM »
To me there are concerns for his health, he is incredibly over weight

Damn then I guess I’m morbidly obese...  :(

Offline PetFish

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2017, 09:17:19 PM »
Dude I’ve seen DT 22 times, which means I’ve seen Labrie 22 times. I never came away from a show thinking he was great. I can name more moments of those awful notes he hits than positives. Those notes sound like a dying cat. Actually cringeworthy and embarrassing.

He needs to retire he really does! He was never a great vocalist in the first place, but now he knocking on, he’s over weight and his voice is worse than ever.

What I'd like to know is who the hell are you?  Why are you even here?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2017, 09:42:16 PM »

Hmmm, I wonder if this post is breaking this rule........    :omg:

12. Insults or senseless bashing of the current or former band members of Dream Theater and/or their music will not be tolerated.  Honest, open critique is always allowed, provided it is constructive and does not cross the line and become bashing, belittling, etc.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2017, 09:58:04 PM »

What I'd like to know is who the hell are you?  Why are you even here?

Where did he come from?  Why is he here?  Where will he go when he's banned (since the Portnoy forums were shut down)?