Author Topic: The greatest of Nigel Tufnel  (Read 2204 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The greatest of Nigel Tufnel
« on: November 06, 2017, 07:18:20 PM »
Can be summed up in 45 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJL942hg0uM

What a guitar god.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The greatest of Nigel Tufnel
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 07:25:58 PM »
I heard he's on the upcoming G3 1/2 tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 12:08:56 AM »
I rewatched that movie last weekend. It still holds up great.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 05:53:06 AM »
"The authorities said, you know, best leave it unsolved." That's like one of the funniest lines in the history of filmmaking. :lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZrqC5LL_oo

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 07:50:00 AM »
The reference of the OP video:

https://youtu.be/sarm8rzdY3Y
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 08:26:11 AM »
There are FAR too many lines to call out one as "the best".

"You can't really dust for vomit."

"The Boston gig has been cancelled.  Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it, though.  It's not a big college town."  (This was Ian Faith, not Nigel, FWIW.)

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

"That's just nitpicking, innit?"

"There was a little green globule on his drum seat. It was more of a stain than a globule, actually."

"Look, look; who's in here? No one.  [picks up an olive stuffed with pimento] And in here, there's a little guy, look! So, it's a complete catastrophe!   It's not going to affect my performance, don't worry about that. I just hate it... it really, it does disturb me, but I'll rise above it; I'm a professional."

Plus of course, it has the added bonus of the great and beautiful Fran Drescher as Bobbi Flekman. 

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 08:59:39 AM »
And don't forget the Mach piece, Lick My Love Pump. What's wrong with being sexy?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 09:03:06 AM »
I love that they contributed a new standard for whenever a band has an extra bass player (or 3) sitting in.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 09:11:20 AM »
The preserved moose bit is overlooked imo.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 09:59:34 AM »
I love that they contributed a new standard for whenever a band has an extra bass player (or 3) sitting in.

You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN42uzNFVmQ

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 10:41:22 AM »
The Youtube rabbit hole led my to Soundgarden playing Big Bottom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkpAeVNdgW8

Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 11:36:23 AM »
The Youtube rabbit hole led my to Soundgarden playing Big Bottom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkpAeVNdgW8

OMG  :omg:  :rollin :metal :rollin :metal
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 08:17:30 AM »

You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN42uzNFVmQ
I was actually thinking of a cover from Galactic with Les Claypool sitting in. Doesn't seem to exist on YT, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 11:27:29 AM »
Retuning the violin was class. Separates him from the ordinary player 😀

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 11:32:49 AM »
Although I have the DVD, I saw it was on TV and DVRed it anyway, just have it sitting there for easy access on nights I can't sleep or just want a good laugh.  Such a classic especially for a metal fan.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »
Although I have the DVD, I saw it was on TV and DVRed it anyway, just have it sitting there for easy access on nights I can't sleep or just want a good laugh.  Such a classic especially for a metal fan.
If you haven't checked it out already, the commentary track is just as good. Rather than McKean, Shearer, and Guest, it's commentary from St. Hubbins, Smalls, and Tufnel, recorded 20 years after This is Spinal Tap, and they're deeply offended by the way they were portrayed. They really had it in for DiBergi after that. Ian Faith, as well. They also fill in a ton of background details and answer a lot of questions.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »
I once played with a bass player in a band who was seriously offended by the movie. He took metal waaaayyyyy to seriously.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 05:46:39 PM »
If you haven't checked it out already, the commentary track is just as good. Rather than McKean, Shearer, and Guest, it's commentary from St. Hubbins, Smalls, and Tufnel, recorded 20 years after This is Spinal Tap, and they're deeply offended by the way they were portrayed. They really had it in for DiBergi after that. Ian Faith, as well. They also fill in a ton of background details and answer a lot of questions.

I did not know this, I've got to check it out, sounds hilarious.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 06:43:47 PM »
I once played with a bass player in a band who was seriously offended by the movie. He took metal waaaayyyyy to seriously.

Obviously,  he's no fan of Zuchinni.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 02:02:18 AM »
I'm a big fan of listening of commentary tracks and the one from Spinal Tap is one of the best.

This movie is top three all time for me and I can watch it over and over again without ever getting tired of it. Just a perfect movie.

The scene where Nigel rolls up the window on the limo driver is one of my favorites.

What's wrong with being sexy?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 07:18:37 AM »
Not trying to sidetrack this thread, but it's relevant, very relevant (on more than one level).

Ian Faith was played by English satirist Tony Hendra.  Well regarded in comedy circles, his life has not been without controversy.    In the mid 2000's, he wrote a book called "Father Joe", a sort of memoir talking about his (Tony's) salvation of sorts.   Great book, suggested reading for those interested (relevance point one, "Spinal Tap").   Immediately following it, though, his daughter from his first marriage wrote an Op-ed to the New York Times basically saying "well, your 'salvation' is awesome, except you molested me as a kid and need to come clean."  (relevance point two, given recent accusations against Spacey, others). 

Rather than just publish the op-ed - which they could have done, with the copout caveat "the opinions contained herein, blah blah blah, of course all parties are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, blah blah blah" - they sent an investigative reporter to look further into the story (relevant point three, conscience and due diligence in reporting; how novel!).   He spoke with most if not all of the relevant parties, including therapists that treated the daughter, and ultimately concluded that there was fire with the smoke and something happened.    The Times published that piece, along with Hendra's adamant denials.    Later, Daniel Okrent - well-known journalist and editor, and Times Ombudsman at the time - published a comment of his own, expressing serious misgivings about the publication of the investigative piece.  He wrote, in part, "doesn't the small chance that it's false outweigh the value of giving readers access to the private miseries of the Hendra family?... Tony Hendra will bear the scars of this article forever... [and people] who did not write a book claiming spiritual salvation will suffer as well...There's a difference between the right to know and the need to know, and in this case, the need escapes me."  (relevance point four; putting these types of accusations in perspective).

You need not agree, but it is an interesting look into how these things can be handled differently than they are in our current sensationalistic press.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 06:52:31 PM »

The scene where Nigel rolls up the window on the limo driver is one of my favorites.

Me too.  I also love when Nigel is soloing on his back and has to have one of the roadies run on stage and get him back on his feet...with some difficulty.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 07:02:30 AM »
It amazes me to this day how much of that movie is "real life".   There are videos of both Gene and Ace being lifted up by roadies because they are flat on their back on stage. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 07:04:10 AM »
It amazes me to this day how much of that movie is "real life".   There are videos of both Gene and Ace being lifted up by roadies because they are flat on their back on stage.

Yeah, no kidding. I love the part where one of them is holding a roulette and it takes them like 3 weeks to score a round.

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 07:18:19 AM »

Yeah, no kidding. I love the part where one of them is holding a roulette and it takes them like 3 weeks to score a round.

;D

I got nothing for that.  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)