Poll

How many wanna see Dream Theater & Sons Of Apollo on tour together?

Yes
7 (12.5%)
No
49 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: DT & SoA together  (Read 2187 times)

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
DT & SoA together
« on: November 13, 2017, 04:24:15 PM »
Here is one to discuss.....

Would anyone wanna see both on tour together?
Solo Album in the making.....

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: DT & SoA together
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »
we have enough sons of apollo threads, this could easily be asked in the main thread

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 04:35:17 PM »
we have enough sons of apollo threads, this could easily be asked in the main thread

It can be asked... but this is a poll.. you cant create a poll in a thread
Solo Album in the making.....

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 04:37:15 PM »
We don't need a poll for this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »
I wouldn’t want to see them tour together. After the crap that Portnoy and Sherinian have said in the build up to the album they don’t deserve to be in the same building as Dream Theater. DT are better off staying as far away from the circus fire that is SoA.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 04:53:00 PM »
Can we just ban every single SOA thread and not talk about them at all?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 04:54:37 PM »
Hey, if you don't like the thread don't read it.

Also there's too much Bad Blood between LaBrie and Portnoy for this to happen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 05:00:10 PM »
Hey, if you don't like the thread don't read it

But, but, the SOA threads are in the way of the threads I want to read.   ;D

To actually answer the question, a tour together would be a bad idea and DT would never go for it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 05:05:54 PM »
If there wasn't all of this drama going on that Derek is stirring up, then fuck yes.

But now?

Nah bro
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 05:08:14 PM »
agreed

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 05:10:41 PM »
DT and SOA are two different monster. I personally wouldn't want to see them together. And not because of what DS and MP have said along the way, but because musically, they are a bit apart. I would rather see Haken or Fates Warning opening for DT, even Devin Tonwnsend.

Also, I'm afraid if this could ever happen, MP would turn it into a "let's play one song together because the fans would want it". Yes, fans would like it but I don't think DT would want it and it wouldn't be far for DT to be forced into that situation.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 05:12:29 PM »
In a perfect world, yes. Not a fan of SOA, but a show where both bands play a set then come together for an encore jam playing something like Metropolis or a cover would be great. It'll never happen though, and I would never pay to see SOA in any situation.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 05:21:00 PM »
MP and DS have made it so that SoA are not worthy of sharing a stage with DT so no.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 05:31:33 PM »
I think it can be done, but I personally feel that it may be only on these conditions.

SOA will get only 30 minutes of playing time and if they decided to go over, there will be some negative ramifications there.

DT gets 2.5 hours and there will be no Portnoy or Sherrian appearances at all during the DT set.  That way, those guys knows whose show it is and they either take it or not.  That's just how I think it may be in a hypothetical sense.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 05:32:19 PM »
*grinds teeth*
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 05:52:33 PM »
Nah. I'd rather see SoA without all of the bullshit drama a billing with DT would bring. Fanboys would ruin it.

Also worth noting is that they want different things from their concerts now. MP is still a rock drummer putting on rock concerts. I haven't seen DT play something akin to a rock concert in ages. Seeing DT is more like going to a very loud symphony now. It's a presentation, rather than a celebration of the music.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 06:02:44 PM »
I disagree strongly with that last sentence, El Barto - the boys have a blast on stage and it's a great fun time.  :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 07:01:23 PM »
Maybe we should have a SoA subforum...

Offline Lethean

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 07:11:53 PM »
I disagree strongly with that last sentence, El Barto - the boys have a blast on stage and it's a great fun time.  :)

Sometimes you're horribly wrong (like about Scarred) but this is spot on.  :)  The Astonishing tour was a bit of an anomaly, but this I&W tour is very much a "rock concert."  As was the DT12 tour.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 07:31:04 PM »
Question: How many?

Answer: No.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 07:34:46 PM »

The show is more structured now with songs working off the screen like Rush. Back in the day it was less about what's on the screen and more about song rotation. The focus was more about the music, the setlist. That's what El Barto is pointing out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 07:41:24 PM »
Here is one to discuss.....

Would anyone wanna see both on tour together?

No.

:lol :lol

Sometimes you're horribly wrong (like about Scarred) but this is spot on.  :)  The Astonishing tour was a bit of an anomaly, but this I&W tour is very much a "rock concert."  As was the DT12 tour.

Very true.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 07:44:16 PM »
 :facepalm:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 08:09:32 PM »
Operation Mindcrime touring with Queensryche is a greater possibility.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 08:52:21 PM »
*snip*
It's a presentation, rather than a celebration of the music.

I agree it's a presentation, but it's also a celebration of the music. I think the presentation complements the music very well.

But no, I wouldn't want to see them tour together. Too much drama, and I would honestly prefer that DT get more stage time because that's the only reason I'd be buying a ticket.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 09:20:49 PM »
No because I plan on seeing DT after their next release and don't want any of my money going to SOA

No, because MP and DS in my opinion should not be rewarded for their pettiness

No because DT won't release an album until 2019 and tour until later that year most likely and SOA might not last that long

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 11:14:15 PM »
No that is the worst idea I have heard for all the reasons people have listed above.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 03:11:50 PM »
Hey, if you don't like the thread don't read it.

This.  He is trying to collect data as well as have discussion.  Yeah, we could just discuss it in the main thread.  But he wants to see numbers.  While I get that there are more than the usual number of threads/band when it comes to SoA, there's no reason we can't have polls like this as long as it doesn't just spam up the forum.  But polls that are MAINLY just to collect data that won't really lead to discussion should go in the polls/survivors subforum.  This one is fine here.  But I am going to just combine the two main SoA threads.  There isn't really a reason to have those separate anymore.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 04:05:41 PM »
If it happened, I’m sure Derek would be liking and retweeting posts like “SoA mopped up the floor with DT” for months/years after.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 04:45:31 PM »
If it happened, I’m sure Derek would be liking and retweeting posts like “SoA mopped up the floor with DT” for months/years after.

Yes for sure. As is I am looking forward to the tons of retweets and likes my MP and DS once the live shows start of comments like "Better than DT" or "The soul of DT"

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 05:09:30 PM »
Voted yes. Would be incredible.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 05:37:55 PM »

Yes for sure. As is I am looking forward to the tons of retweets and likes my MP and DS once the live shows start of comments like "Better than DT" or "The soul of DT"

If it did happened, I'm sure they will think otherwise in the event that the venue is about a 1/3rd full during their set and jammed packed during DT's set.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2017, 06:15:48 PM »

And James would be moping about all the mopping he'd have to do before taking the stage ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 07:24:41 AM »

How Portnoy of you.   ;)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 07:36:27 AM »
No. Musically it would be cool, but it would be weird for all the reasons explained before.

It'd probably be weird even if they'd all get along.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!