Good, but an average Neal Morse record
2 (4.3%)
Subpar record/I did not care for it
1 (2.2%)
Never heard it
5 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: February 28, 2024, 01:42:53 PM

Author Topic: The Similitude of a Dream - One Year Later!  (Read 2440 times)

Offline bill1971

Re: The Similitude of a Dream - One Year Later!
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »
I think it is a very solid album. I feel like it has some filler but overall very well done. I am not always a fan of Neal Morse but have tremendous respect for him as a song writer.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 10:59:07 AM »
I don't know much of NM music, I have only listened to TSOAD and TGE, but I really love both albums. TSOAD is already one of my favorite albums, and it got even better when I listened it live, it was a sublime experience.

When the album came out I listened because MP was playing on it and I still was a big fan of MP (I stop following MP because of the SoA drama). However, with every listen, MP's playing became the least exciting and interesting part of the album. Bill and Eric's singing and playing were the things that elevate the status of this album for me.

After hearing this album I got TGE and I loved it aswell, so I'm really looking forward to the next album, can't wait!

Now I'm unsure whether to give a chance to the NM solo albums, I love TA but not so much the Spock's Beard with Neal albums.

I like seeing the love for The Grant Experiment.  It seems like that album has been all but forgotten.  But I think it is a VERY good album, and I still enjoy it quite a bit. 

If you are thinking about checking out some of Neal's prior solo stuff, I would recommend ? and One as good starting points.  I personally don't care for ? very much, but I think most Neal fans feel that he really hit his stride during that stretch of albums.  To me, ? is less dense and is easier to digest.  It is also a bit shorter, as I recall.  One is a very dense 70+ minutes of music.  It is my all-time favorite album (which is kind of odd, given that I tend to gravitate more toward metal), and there is a LOT to like about it.

Thanks for the recommendation, I think I will check ? and then One. And yes, TGE is great, I don't have a problem with Agenda, seems like a fun song, I really like the whole album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 06:06:37 PM »
I think One and ? are great recommendations. Both albums kick major ass and are both albums with all kinds of different songs, so they are easy to digest at first.

Sola Scriptura is also really good, but can be a tough nut to crack, what with the first two songs being at least 25 minutes in length.

I get why many do not care for Agenda, but I like it; its a silly and fun little tune.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2017, 06:28:21 PM »
I think One and ? are great recommendations. Both albums kick major ass and are both albums with all kinds of different songs, so they are easy to digest at first.

Sola Scriptura is also really good, but can be a tough nut to crack, what with the first two songs being at least 25 minutes in length.

I get why many do not care for Agenda, but I like it; its a silly and fun little tune.

But those 2 epics are amazing :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2017, 07:39:59 AM »

Agreed.  That is exactly why I didn't recommend it despite it being my second favorite Neal album.

Same.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2017, 09:49:36 AM »
Another semi new-comer to Neal Morse. I've heard the Transatlantic stuff before and I like it. I can't vote on the poll because I haven't heard any of Morse's solo albums.

The Similitude of a Dream is pretty good methinks. I don't skip any songs when I listen to it and it doesn't feel very long to me. I really like Gillette's vocals.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!