Author Topic: Lord Of The Rings TV Show??  (Read 3178 times)

Offline Jarlaxle

Re: Lord Of The Rings TV Show??
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 08:39:10 AM »
As much as I loved seeing Evangeline Lilly in long flowing red hair and a complete badass, it was just so wrong as far as the book goes. There is more than enough written in Middle Earth that new characters shouldn't have to be created. My worry aside, I think this new series is going to be something with the potential for brilliance.

I know exactly what you mean, and I agree, but I think there was space for a created character to be made if it was done CORRECTLY. Lilly in no way should have been a major character, let alone the centerpiece of an awkward interracial love triangle. I understand why Legolas was put into the films (and don't mind that decision, agian, if it was done correctly - it was not), and if he's there why can't he have a companion? I really wish Jackson had been "allowed" to stay on the sidelines for the Hobbit, GDT would have made fantastic films I think.

But also, this:
Also, while the Hobbitt trilogy was not as good as the original, it was still really well done. I've never understood the hate for it.

Context is everything. If you look at it as its own piece of work then it's excellent. It really is a brilliantly made independent piece of work. If you are someone hoping that it kept more with the spirit of the book, then the movie is a disappointment in that aspect. You can't say it's not as it undoubtedly has very little resemblance to the book. I can see both sides of it easily, and agree with both sides.

I am FAR from a Tolkien purist, but I really have a hard time using words like "excellent" or "brilliant" to describe the Hobbit films.  My problems with it are not that they deviated from the text.  My problems with it are not that they expanded it "needlessly" to make it three years worth of Hollywood blockbuster.  I actually like a lot of the individual creative decisions they made in those regards.  My problems stem more from the fact that they, in effect, dumbed down the LOTR series with this trilogy, made it look more like a video game than a movie at times, inserted plot details that either made no sense or were so distracting as to take you completely out of the moment, and made some of the characters into what I felt were cardboard cutout characatures of what they were supposed to be.  There are many moments about the films that I love.  But overall, the series really left me cold and disappointed.  I'm not sure how to describe it as anything better than, "good overall, but deeply flawed on several fundamental levels." 

I have no desire to watch the films again, though Martin Freeman but on an incredible performance, and that is really sad coming from a guy who would buy and consume literally anything that is LOTR - so naturally, I will be watching this Amazon show hoping beyond hope that it is at least not cringe-worthy, but also bracing myself for the worst. There is huge potential here, even more so now that it is known to be a prequel (between the Hobbit and LOTR - midquel?). I just hope it doesn't bastardize everything like the Shadow of Mordor/War games have done.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 09:03:16 AM »
Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage gave performances as good as anyone in the LoTR/Hobbits movies.
The Hobbits movies are odd, I understand the need to expand on the source material somewhat - but there were times when it felt like a cartoon (The action in the Goblin caves was the worst).   The second film is very good though.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 09:21:40 AM »
It's going to be interesting to see what they do with the TV show, in that they will be forced to do a lot of expansion from the source material.

Hopefully bird poop shampoo is off the table as an idea for starters..  ;)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2017, 09:55:27 AM »
I still haven't watched them myself, but if you want to give a second and alternative chance to the Hobbit movies, I know there are out there fan-made edits of 3 / 3.5 hours, all condensed in a single movie.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »
Like others, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Hopefully they work off of existing Tolkien material as much as possible and don't try to invent backstory. I also hope they start the series with a complete story arc already planned for the number of seasons they committed to. I hate when shows become popular so they stretch it out with no obvious plan of where things are going.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
I hate when shows become popular so they stretch it out with no obvious plan of where things are going.

...or when they're cancelled when they're not done yet. There should be a caveat in the contracts that would allow for cancelled series to have a special extra episode to round them off.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2017, 10:12:42 AM »
I hate when shows become popular so they stretch it out with no obvious plan of where things are going.

...or when they're cancelled when they're not done yet. There should be a caveat in the contracts that would allow for cancelled series to have a special extra episode to round them off.
Yes, this too. They should always be allowed a couple episodes to wrap things up after cancellation. Especially shows that have already had multiple seasons.