Author Topic: DT14: not until 2019, but... Back to the roots!  (Read 13187 times)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
DT14: not until 2019, but... Back to the roots!
« on: November 08, 2017, 09:31:22 AM »
JP has hinted that next album will be musically inspired by the band's current "Images, Words & Beyond" tour!

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/john-petrucci-no-new-dream-theater-album-until-2019/

:D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:58:20 AM by JediKnight1969 »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Mladen

Re: DT14: not until 2019, but... Back to the roots!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:39:31 AM »
inb4 "but dey already did that with ADTOE"  :lol

Interesting, nonetheless. I actually did think the first two albums with Mangini reconnected with the band's roots after the modern, contemporary-influences-driven albums of the 00s.  So while that idea doesn't sound fresh on paper, it might actually be executed well.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 09:44:52 AM »
Hope the band demos at least some songs and let the songs breath before hitting the record button.

JM seems to have a studio at his home now (Jelly Jam EPK on their last album). Hopefully this opens up the writing a bit more within the band.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 09:53:42 AM »
Less metal, more on the softer side, please, for James's sake and the current age of the band. Play to your strengths and avoid trying to be metulll.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline don_waka

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 10:37:36 AM »
Less metal, more on the softer side, please, for James's sake and the current age of the band. Play to your strengths and avoid trying to be metulll.

This.

Stop the metal madness  :tdwn

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 10:40:49 AM »

This.

Seems that's what people were disliking about TA.  I'm guessing they are going to shoot for something similar to ADTOE.  Get their core fans excited again.  For me, I don't think it matters, I've loved everything they've produced so far.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 10:59:29 AM »

This.

Seems that's what people were disliking about TA.  I'm guessing they are going to shoot for something similar to ADTOE.  Get their core fans excited again.  For me, I don't think it matters, I've loved everything they've produced so far.

Yeah I agree cram, if I had to guess I'd say they are going to aim for ADTOE dipped in ToT.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »
Interesting. No new album until 2019.

This.

I thought A Dramatic Turn of Events was pretty great so if they do something like that again then I'd buy that for a dollar. The only new news (to Herrick anyway) in that little article is there will be no new album next year.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 11:02:43 AM »
Back to their roots? Hell yes!! It's gonna be a tremendous long wait but probably it's worth it. About the "more metal or less metal" argument, an album like IAW, Awake or even WDADU will have the perfect balance between prog and metal, not as heavy for the sake of it like TOT and not as classic prog like TA (which I love, don't get me wrong)

Offline Evai

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 11:05:03 AM »

This.

James would have to retrain a bit. he doesn't really have a middle ground anymore. He either does metal, or breathy falsetto
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 11:09:18 AM »

This.

TA was too metal??

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 11:14:11 AM »
I hope this means he releases his solo album in 2018.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »
I'm glad that they will be taking their time with the next album.

Self titled and The Astonishing had some good ideas, but to me those ideas felt half-baked.

So yeah, take all the time you need with the songwriting. I'm also on board for a back to basics album!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 11:28:25 AM »

This.

TA was too metal??

No, People didn't like TA because it was not metal enough.  That was a common complaint I saw.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 11:33:31 AM »
I wouldn't say ADTOE was a super metal album either though...heavy sections sure, but overall pretty balanced. If that's what they're going for again I 100% support it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 11:52:56 AM »
I wouldn't say ADTOE was a super metal album either though...heavy sections sure, but overall pretty balanced. If that's what they're going for again I 100% support it.

Me too, I want a "naturally heavy" album for lack of a better term, I want Awake heavy - three notes of The Mirror's intro is all you need to kick ass, not This Dying Soul's second half heavy.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 12:03:48 PM »
A progressive metal band/album should be "naturally heavy".  Hence the word "metal".  :justjen

The direction they went with TA just doesn't compute.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 12:08:26 PM »
Well, no, not necessarily. Power metal should be fast and furious and yet I can think of a dozen songs right off the top of my head that have little or no percussion even in them. It's a general descriptor. A prog metal album doesn't have to be entirely metal, prog, or prog metal. :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »
I love the last 3 albums, so I don't mind the direction they take for the next album, I just want it to be a little more experimental this time.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 12:33:29 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how a "back to basics" approach but with 8-string guitar will come how.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 01:17:04 PM »
“Back to the roots” tends to be the kiss of death for a bands creativity. If it comes naturally then so be it, but I would rather not hear an intentional rehash of past material
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 01:22:13 PM »
So yeah, take all the time you need with the songwriting....

Except he said it will be so long from now at least partially due to G3, which is really annoying for those of us who'd rather have new DT material.

And yeah back to basics often means "we are tapped out of ideas and no one likes are new stuff anyway... So let's try to write stuff we thought was cool when we were in our 20s."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 01:24:49 PM »
I for one am still waiting for John Petrucci's next solo album... just kidding, that thing will never ever get made... Damn it! I should've asked him that Saturday night!! Aw man...  :(

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 01:33:52 PM »
I for one am still waiting for John Petrucci's next solo album... just kidding, that thing will never ever get made... Damn it! I should've asked him that Saturday night!! Aw man...  :(

Shit. it's been so long, I've forgotten what his first solo album was even called...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 01:41:13 PM »
Well, no, not necessarily. Power metal should be fast and furious and yet I can think of a dozen songs right off the top of my head that have little or no percussion even in them. It's a general descriptor. A prog metal album doesn't have to be entirely metal, prog, or prog metal. :)

Did I say entirely?  No.  Didn't say power metal either.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 01:53:58 PM »
I'd love if JP found the time in 2018 to put out another solo album. Or at least record the new songs he already performed live on previous G3 tours and do an EP.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 02:00:49 PM »

Did I say entirely?  No.  Didn't say power metal either.

I was just making conversation about sticking to genres and labels, dude. Sorry...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »
James also hinted about a specific direction. I got the sense in whatever interview that was it would be a little different from usual. Seems like they've put a lot of thought into it.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 04:21:02 PM »

TA was too metal??

No, People didn't like TA because it was not metal enough.  That was a common complaint I saw.

People didn't like TA because it sucked.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 04:22:41 PM »
I think you are reading too much into this. I guess JP is only assuring that the new CD won't be a progression of TA's style - they are aware that TA was controversial - and it will be in a more expected DT style. I'm sure that DT will come up with something at least a bit different, like they always do IMO.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 05:27:13 PM »

TA was too metal??

You not liking it doesn't mean it sucked  :biggrin:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 05:27:17 PM »

TA was too metal??

:lol Great album

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 05:38:56 PM »

TA was too metal??

Yea TA was fantastic, I get the criticisms though.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 05:50:20 PM »

TA was too metal??

Yea TA was fantastic, I get the criticisms though.

...and likewise, I thought it sucked but I get why people like it. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 12:34:53 AM »
Sounds great to me, I&W is my favourite DT album so if it means something in that style again (yeah, ADTOE was great too) then I'm all for it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.