Author Topic: Taking cell phone photos on current DT North American tour  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Leftybass12

Taking cell phone photos on current DT North American tour
« on: November 07, 2017, 06:15:48 PM »
Hello everyone, I was curious if security at the current DT shows is being very strict on taking cell phone pictures. When I saw them on The Astonishing tour I noticed that the second a phone went up security was right on it and made people put their phones away or would confiscate them.

I’m going to be seeing them later this week and am hoping if some people can fill me in on that.
I should mention that I’m not one of those people who is on their phone trying to get a picture every few minutes and post it to any social media site, or video tape the entire show. I just like to get in two or three pictures and enjoy the show.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Taking cell phone photos on current DT North American tour
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 06:20:55 PM »
There's a YouTube vid from this tour of some guy having to hide his phone a bit but I think he was on the edge close to the security.

I was closer to the center, and even with a few empty rows in front of me, I took video and a few photos without a problem.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 10:22:44 PM »
Sometimes it varies venue to venue.  I was at the same show Kattelox was at but 6th row.  I took a handful of photos with no problem and a security guy was about 10 feet in front of me.  Of the people that took video, it kind of seemed like if you had your phone up more than 10 seconds security would come over and make you put it down. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 07:24:02 AM »
Security is more relaxed for this leg than The Astonishing. You should be fine as long as you don't blatantly record all the show or piss people of behind you.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 08:19:27 AM »
From my experience, pictures are fine. I took a few at the Wichita show and nobody said anything. Security was telling people to stop recording videos though, if they were holding up their phone for an excessive amount of time.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 01:08:24 PM »
I saw a sign in the outer lobby of the Wiltern Theatre that said "no video" at the request of the artist (implying that photos were ok).  However, the guy next to me took a lot of video and I took three snippets of video ranging from 30 seconds or so to 3 minutes, and no one said "boo" to either of us.  I'm sure it will vary from venue to venue and how close to the stage you are.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DT1138

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:41:54 AM »
Photos without flash were allowed in Chicago but video was an absolute no-no.  They had 3 security guards at the stage busting people who had their phones up for more than a few seconds.  They even had spotters up in the balcony identifying people.  I figured someone had to get away with it somewhere, and sure enough my friend's cousin got some videos on her Facebook page a few days later.