Author Topic: Petrucci picks: which does he actually play?  (Read 1254 times)

Offline 7enderbender

Petrucci picks: which does he actually play?
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:15:41 PM »
This is a silly question perhaps and really just out of curiousity. I’m really not one to play “signature gear” based on who’s playing it. And yes I now also happen to have a JP MusicMan guitar and not because I want to look or sound like JP.
But while at it of course you get curious about some details. So why not mess around with different picks again. I’ve been playing my own “signature picks” for a while now - which started as a gimmick for my cover band but turned out to be nice little Jazz III Delrin picks that few and sound pretty good.
Otherwise I’ve been loyal to the Eric Johnson Jazz III that feels slightly more comfortable than the regular red one. Tiny differences.
So I got some other Jazz III picks to try out, including the 2 different JP models. The bigger one is very fast and smooth - but too big. The reddish regular primetone Jazz III on the other hand is very nice and sounds ever so slightly brighter than the Eric Johnson (different material for sure).

Now, what does JP actually play? Does he use both but for different purposes? Anyone ever stumbled upon this?

Offline FracturedMirror

Re: Petrucci picks: which does he actually play?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »
I was looking for a faster pick some time ago and tried several different Jazz III variations, one of which was the slightly larger black JP style.  Didn't try the Primetone, didn't even realize there was another JP model pick.

I like the black picks, but my favorite ended up being the green Hammett Jazz III's.