Author Topic: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album **DO NOT POST LINKS**  (Read 84799 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album
« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2017, 09:24:51 AM »
I kind of feel region only releases make no sense in the digital world.  I'd buy this if I could, but if they only release it in Asia, well, I am sure I'll find a way to be able to listen.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #141 on: November 28, 2017, 09:59:58 AM »
Also, Chycki said it's for a TV stream in Japan, he didn't say anything about it going to be released in some way or anything like that. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline 8GRND

« Reply #142 on: November 28, 2017, 10:05:37 AM »
Also, Chycki said it's for a TV stream in Japan, he didn't say anything about it going to be released in some way or anything like that. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Wish that somebody can record it, just like animes.
"Don't bully me, I'm just in "Wenger stay" side." - 8GRND

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2017, 11:00:28 AM »

But this wouldn't be atypical? I mean, if it's only for a TV stream, it makes sense to pay a well known producer (in this case, the band's "producer") to mix it?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »
While that cover art could be the official cover release, until it's posted on DT's official site, I find that highly suspect. The fact that it includes text that says "Original Master Stereo IEM Matrix Recording" sounds like something you'd expect on some bootleg cover art, not an official release. Why would the band use a matrix of IEM (inner ear monitor) sources as opposed to the original multi-track recordings to do a proper mix? And the fact that BW also included audience shot footage posted on YouTube gives me added reason that this is just a Blabbermouth-style post.

edit: Forgot to mention, a bootleg of one (or more) IEM source of this particular show is already circulating in trading circles, so it's even more reason to expect that the cover art BW posted is not official. Nevermind the fact that it's almost a given that the intro tape (which DT did not write/record) would not be included in the official release either.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:12:27 AM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2017, 11:04:53 AM »
And the fact that BW also included audience shot footage posted on YouTube gives me added reason that this is just a Blabbermouth-style post.

I clicked it totally expecting a snippet of the broadcast.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2017, 12:14:48 PM »
Nevermind the fact that it's almost a given that the intro tape (which DT did not write/record) would not be included in the official release either.

The tracklist is a blatant copy and paste from Setlist.fm
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2017, 01:15:22 PM »
The article lists 3 discs in the tracklist.

The article does not site any source for where it got the tracklist - and there's been no confirmation or press release that states that this will be anything other than the Wowow TV airing.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #148 on: November 28, 2017, 01:54:52 PM »
Memory may be failing but I thought Bosk had spoken with JP and JP told him this would not be happening for DVD release.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #149 on: November 28, 2017, 02:04:27 PM »
Not this specifically, no.  Last time I spoke to him about a live release was for The Astonishing, and he said that was going to be very unlikely.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: November 28, 2017, 02:06:59 PM »
It really seems unlikely for an official release, but if they are putting it on TV, I'm sure it will end up on youtube and hopefully maybe as an official bootleg since this sounds more like something along that then an official release.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2017, 04:29:29 PM »
I can't believe they are not putting out some kind of live release being that there is this big of a gap between albums. I know it's risky and costly to especially make a concert dvd, but I would hope they have enough faith in their fan base to go for it. They've skipped alot of places on their last two tours and I'm sure there's plenty of people who would like to see these shows on film.
 The Astonishing was such a cool production with the stage and lighting, such a shame that slipped away (even though I can kind of see why from a business standpoint), but damn!
 An audio version of the last two tours would be a nice welcome if anything..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline PetFish

« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2017, 10:53:41 PM »
Why would a band do this?

Back in the day CDs would have bonus tracks specific to a region, usually Japan, cuz people could by the "regular" North American CD for WAY cheaper so in order to entice them to buy it locally they'd put these on for an incentive... and then us in NA would pay insane money for the "import" with the rare track.

But that was then, now I with downloading/streaming I don't see the point of making things exclusive to certain regions so TL;DR I dunno why bands would do this today.

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #153 on: November 29, 2017, 06:15:36 AM »
They haven't released a live CD since Score. The recent live DVDs have only had the CD available as part of deluxe editions. I'm not that interested in DVDs, as I rarely have time to watch them, but love CD versions because I can put them in my CD rack and see all the spines lined up. I'm old school, I like that.

So yes, a proper live CD release of IW&B would be more than welcome.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: November 29, 2017, 06:43:21 AM »
They haven't released a live CD since Score. The recent live DVDs have only had the CD available as part of deluxe editions. I'm not that interested in DVDs, as I rarely have time to watch them, but love CD versions because I can put them in my CD rack and see all the spines lined up. I'm old school, I like that.

So yes, a proper live CD release of IW&B would be more than welcome.

I'm the opposite. I still buy CDs for bands I truly enjoy, but I don't even end up taking the plastic off. I end up just using Spotify in the car for convenience. DVD/Blu rays though.. those I love. They're great to have on in the background. I always have concerts playing when I'm working at my workbench, and pausing to watch a guitar solo or something is a joy. At least for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #155 on: November 29, 2017, 07:03:32 AM »
Spotify in the car? I'm so old.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2017, 09:45:18 AM »
I prefer live dvd's as well. Its great to kick back with a friend and a few beers and enjoy a good concert right in your living room. With modern HD tv's and a good stereo sound system, it's the next best thing to actually being at the concert. Especially if the show is done right. The new David Gilmour Live at Pompeii is a great example..  :hefdaddy
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #157 on: November 29, 2017, 10:03:15 AM »

Love that pic. Would totally be okay if this went either official release or official bootleg. I would just hope that they include the songs not played at Budokan as bonus tracks after ACOS (To Live Forever, Don't Look Past Me, The Spirit Carries On, and A Life Left Behind). I can never get enough live versions of TLF.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: November 29, 2017, 10:05:19 AM »
Would totally be okay if this went either official release or official bootleg. I would just hope that they include the songs not played at Budokan as bonus tracks after ACOS (To Live Forever, Don't Look Past Me, The Spirit Carries On, and A Life Left Behind). I can never get enough live versions of TLF.

We can keep dreaming about getting such a package

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2017, 10:09:10 AM »
Would totally be okay if this went either official release or official bootleg. I would just hope that they include the songs not played at Budokan as bonus tracks after ACOS (To Live Forever, Don't Look Past Me, The Spirit Carries On, and A Life Left Behind). I can never get enough live versions of TLF.

We can keep dreaming about getting such a package

While we're dreaming, might as well give us an Astonishing Live 2016 official boot as well! :metal
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2017, 12:37:36 PM »
If you are curious about the quality of DT’s performance on this show, search on google for “ultimate bootleg experience dream theater 2017-09-11 Tokyo” (sorry, I couldn’t paste the direct link), and you'll have a very good bootleg (one of the best to hear Mangini’s drums AND cymbals IMO). Although this tour had been very hard for James, I think this was a relatively good show for him.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #161 on: November 29, 2017, 06:52:16 PM »
If you are curious about the quality of DT’s performance on this show, search on google for “ultimate bootleg experience dream theater 2017-09-11 Tokyo” (sorry, I couldn’t paste the direct link), and you'll have a very good bootleg (one of the best to hear Mangini’s drums AND cymbals IMO). Although this tour had been very hard for James, I think this was a relatively good show for him.

Just googled it and the image that was posted here is from that bootleg, so it's fan made.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2017, 07:07:47 PM »
You're right, I forgot to mention that :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: November 29, 2017, 08:22:47 PM »
That fan art is better than anything Hugh Syme ever did for them.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Evai

« Reply #164 on: November 30, 2017, 01:45:44 AM »
I dunno, the girl and heart look pretty bad
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #165 on: November 30, 2017, 02:19:27 AM »
The image itself is not fan made :P

And judging by some of the photoshopiness of some elements in this image, I wouldn't be surprised if its a Hugh Syme image ;)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #166 on: November 30, 2017, 02:21:42 AM »
Now that I notice it, it's pretty bad that the burning heart is not by itself, but comes with the black background it originally had  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2017, 02:26:46 AM »
what about the texture of the 25 which clearly is a flat image, not projected onto a 3d object?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #168 on: December 03, 2017, 08:31:22 PM »
I don't believe it is too expensive for them to record a live video at all. If small local artists can make a half decent looking dvd/blu ray these days (also, see Mike Portnoy's projects, most of which have a good live recording as well), so can DT. Hell, if you really want to go on a low ass budget, you can go with a bunch of gopro cameras, like Gentle Storm once did for promotional purposes.

It is more a matter of wanting to do it and the planning involved. And there is likely some/a lot of music rights related stuff in play if they want a release, because I think Roadrunner probably isn't too interested in making a big release on their label. So it obviously does take effort and time and by extent money, but in concept a ytskejam esque "bootleg" dvd in this day and age could be viable.

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2017, 12:25:01 AM »
Has this been broadcast in Japan yet?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2017, 06:32:33 AM »
And there is likely some/a lot of music rights related stuff in play if they want a release

Thankfully this is actually very easy. Since DT are members of rights organizations (BMI and ASCAP, depending on the band member) - any song they've released is registered to BMI and ASCAP. That means; anyone can record and release a song as long as they pay the rights holders (in this case BMI and ASCAP) the royaltees for it. So DT doesnt strictly have to deal with roadrunner at all regarding RIGHTS - but theres a record deal that may restrict certain elements of this though (for instance giving Roadrunner the right to control which labels DT can otherwise appear on)...

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2017, 12:12:51 PM »
Just watched the Milan video from BAI. WOW LaBrie was very good that night!! But also WOW, that crowd is lame.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2017, 12:38:07 PM »
Just watched the Milan video from BAI. WOW LaBrie was very good that night!! But also WOW, that crowd is lame.

There's only so much people can do when forced to sit, even in the parterre!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #173 on: December 04, 2017, 04:14:25 PM »

There's only so much people can do when forced to sit, even in the parterre!

Oh, just saw that. Well, I guess we're back on the great debate of standing/sitting :D sorry, it was right there

I gotta say, as much as I liked the sitting-in-theaters-concept of The Astonishing tour, the right feeling just doesn't come up at this kind of shows (I mean the I&W tour, not the TA tour) if you HAVE to sit. I understand that at some point in your life you don't wanna stand 3 hours in a dark hall that smells like sweat at 38°C. I guess the best solution would be a standing area and some seats on the balcony (which has been mentioned).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Guitarjon

« Reply #174 on: December 17, 2017, 10:44:27 AM »
I saw a bluray for sale on a Dutch site (marktplaats) today.
It stated that this show was pro-shot.
Unfortunately the bluray was already sold.
I assume this means that the show has been broadcast already.
I'd love to be able to watch this somehow.
If anyone has a link, please let me know! :)