Author Topic: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album **DO NOT POST LINKS**  (Read 84837 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2017, 12:56:30 PM »
That's too bad.  I wish TA was better received, it deserves a lot more credit imo.  Brilliant album and the concert was more than worthy of being immortalized on film.   :(
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »
I'm curious how JLB's performance will come out. His singing was really rough this tour.

I fully support any kind of pitch correction, mixing and matching of shows over various nights, or anything else the band needs to do in order for the release to come out great. I'm all for polishing these things up.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2017, 12:58:44 PM »
I'm guessing, since they record every show, it'll be something like the Holiday release a couple years ago, where they pulled the best performances of each song from across the tour.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2017, 02:23:06 PM »
That's too bad.  I wish TA was better received, it deserves a lot more credit imo.  Brilliant album and the concert was more than worthy of being immortalized on film.   :(

Completely agree, I really wish there was a Bluray for the show. 

On the other hand, this may mean that I'm that much closer to a live version of The Bigger Picture, and I'm psyched for that

Offline bill1971

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2017, 02:35:35 PM »
JP is on Eddie Trunk right now and he said they did not record any TA shows.  He said if you weren't there, you won't get to see it.

Unless you know how to use You Tube. :)

I did see it live in Los Angeles and loved it. I do wish there was a live DVD of it though for souvenir sake. Although to be honest I rarely watch music DVD's anymore except for a few songs here and there.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2017, 02:54:47 PM »
I knew they didn't film any TA shows, but they didn't record audio either?  Sadly the idea of a blu ray of TA is long gone, but given the timing, I'm guessing maybe another Christmas gift?  Maybe some of the earlier I&W shows this year.  Sadly knowing this, my shows coming up won't be on this.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2017, 05:05:50 PM »
I'm curious how JLB's performance will come out. His singing was really rough this tour.

I fully support any kind of pitch correction, mixing and matching of shows over various nights, or anything else the band needs to do in order for the release to come out great. I'm all for polishing these things up.

Not to open up this can of worms, but why even bother releasing a live album if you have to fix a ton of stuff?   A live album should be "live," warts and all.

The studio version is there for those who want everything to sound just perfect. ;)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2017, 05:08:06 PM »
I'm okay with some fixes. But based on how I've seen James perform thus far? It would have to take a TON of work to create a whole album of him sounding good. Though I feel like people have drastically lowered their standards with him and would be very happy as long as he hits some high notes and is moderately on key for most of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2017, 05:11:39 PM »
I'm okay with some fixes. But based on how I've seen James perform thus far? It would have to take a TON of work to create a whole album of him sounding good. Though I feel like people have drastically lowered their standards with him and would be very happy as long as he hits some high notes and is moderately on key for most of it.

Honestly, based on the footage I have seen of this tour, I'd have a tough time even buying a live DVD from this tour.  I fear JLB's vocals would make it a one watch and done for me.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2017, 07:14:36 PM »
Well that gets me excited that it might be an IAW release

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2017, 07:37:44 PM »

Honestly, based on the footage I have seen of this tour, I'd have a tough time even buying a live DVD from this tour.  I fear JLB's vocals would make it a one watch and done for me.

Has it been that bad?

I'm going Dec 2.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2017, 08:07:59 PM »
We already have an I&W Anniversary CD. Does anyone listen to it?

Yeah, I listened to it last week before the Los Angeles show.  I brought it to the M&G to have it signed.  One of the band members asked "what's this?" and I told him it was the 10th anniversary CD. Might have been Mangini.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2017, 03:36:56 AM »
I'm personally a huge fan of The Astonishing, but I've come to terms with the fact that it was very divisive and plenty of people chose not to see it live and therefore wouldn't certainly bother buying a live DVD of it. It was obvious from the start that it would have a smaller appeal - Dream Theater never excludes Eastern Europe on their tours, but on The Astonishing there wasn't a single date in that region. I hate not having seen the show, it's too bad I won't have it on a DVD neither, but it is what it is. It's a fantastic album that didn't get enough love, which isn't uncommon.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2017, 03:44:12 AM »
Really wish I could have a BluRay of The Astonishing but as it is I will have to live on the memory if the 2 shows I saw....

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2017, 03:55:21 AM »
Really wish I could have a BluRay of The Astonishing but as it is I will have to live on the memory if the 2 shows I saw....

My only memory is seeing from the roof the theater, on the leftmost corner that blocked my view of Jordan and almost always Myung.

I did enjoy it but I wish I had been a little less considerate with the money and got a better seat...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2017, 04:22:37 AM »
I'm personally a huge fan of The Astonishing, but I've come to terms with the fact that it was very divisive and plenty of people chose not to see it live and therefore wouldn't certainly bother buying a live DVD of it. It was obvious from the start that it would have a smaller appeal - Dream Theater never excludes Eastern Europe on their tours, but on The Astonishing there wasn't a single date in that region. I hate not having seen the show, it's too bad I won't have it on a DVD neither, but it is what it is. It's a fantastic album that didn't get enough love, which isn't uncommon.

When TA came out I was really into their 'heavier' sound and I sort of disliked it, now I have become a gigantic fan of this album and I wish I could have got into it earlier to see them perform in Milan last year.  :facepalm:

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2017, 05:34:45 AM »

Has it been that bad?

I'm going Dec 2.
If you look at YouTube videos, yeah, it's pretty bad. Enunciation was never his forté, but now the higher parts are just "whaaah-ahhhh-gbahhh," plus his timbre gets increasingly unpleasant the higher he goes. He's probably using some technique as to not to strain his voice too much.

Still, when you're there, it's a different kind of experience, so don't let this ruin it for you, you're in for a real treat and an amazing show, with plenty of small surprises (jams, JLB telling stories). I saw them in May, and when you're there and caught up in the moment, it works. I definitely didn't stop and think for one second that JLB hinders the production, but when I watch YouTube videos, it's all I can hear.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2017, 08:35:25 AM »
If it's a live version of TA, there's no way I'd buy it.    Anything else I will buy on the first day it's released.

There are only a few bands left that I will actually buy their new stuff. DT is one of them. 

In 2017, here are the only albums I have actually paid for at a record store  (hey . . . I only make 12 bux an hour)

1) Butch Walker - Stay Gold  (quite good)
2) Depeche Mode - Spirit  (disappointing from one of my all-time favs)
3) Barry Manilow - This is my town  (stop laughing - one of the best entertainers and songwriters of all-time)
4) L.A. Guns - The Missing Peace  (holy crap this is a good hair band album)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »
I guess nobody read my comment about what JP said on Eddie Trunk yesterday.

He said they didn't record any TA shows.  Have to assume it's gonna be a live version of the IW&B shows?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2017, 10:08:32 AM »
Yea and those shows included a couple TA tracks so I guess we will get those.  Would be cool if they included the replacement songs for those as well.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2017, 10:58:15 AM »
Yea and those shows included a couple TA tracks so I guess we will get those.  Would be cool if they included the replacement songs for those as well.

I am going to see DT in two weeks and I have scrupulously avoided seeing any set lists.     I was hoping there wouldn't be any songs from TA in the set list.

I saw them around 20 times in the '90's and this is my first DT show since 1999.  I am super excited  :-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2017, 11:23:35 AM »
I guess nobody read my comment about what JP said on Eddie Trunk yesterday.

He said they didn't record any TA shows.  Have to assume it's gonna be a live version of the IW&B shows?

Maybe he just means they didn't professionally record them.  They do record all their shows for archival purposes.  That's where a lot of the ytsejam releases come from.  So it *could* be The Astonishing live but it would be an official bootleg.  That's what some people are theorizing.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2017, 11:28:09 AM »
They didn't -film- any of the shows. They still haven't filmed any shows - except the one in Budokan (which wasn't filmed by DT, but an external TV crew for broadcast).

They do record EVERY show they do on multitrack. But it's whats at the soundboard, which does not contain any audience noise (which sounds dry and soulless, unfortunately). Unless they've started miking the audience regularly too. They didn't used to (speaking of experience when we've needed audio for fan club releases).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2017, 11:40:58 AM »
My concert video watching time has gone way down so a DT DVD is no longer an automatic purchase. I am not sure an Astonishing show would have been an automatic purchase anyway, even though I loved the show I went to. I am more intrigued by a I&MAB (how to we acronymize that?) show
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2017, 12:02:45 PM »
I think the problem is many of us are already thinking of a video release, but Chycki only said he was mixing a DT live album. What if it's audio only? That way, it could either be something from this tour or from the TA tour... or even from the 30th anniversary european tour ;D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2017, 12:06:56 PM »
I guess it's possible it could be something else.  Maybe it's a compilation of a bunch of different tracks across multiple past tours. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2017, 12:16:23 PM »
Oops, replied before seeing an entire page of additional replies.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2017, 12:18:21 PM »
That seems like a somewhat bizarre attitude.  This was JP's masterpiece, and he says they didn't record a single performance of it?

Sadly, many fans didn't lke TA too much, and live albums have a lower demand than studio albums, so that's probably a big reason why. Too bad, because I love TA and was never able to see it live  :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2017, 12:47:02 PM »
Yeah, but if I wrote a 2-CD concept album and went on tour with my band and played the whole thing every night, I sure as hell would make sure I recorded it at least once.  I'm not even talking about whether or not it would make a good release for a live album; I would want a recording of the band performing it, for posterity.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2017, 01:04:08 PM »
JP is on Eddie Trunk right now and he said they did not record any TA shows.  He said if you weren't there, you won't get to see it.

awesome news for those us who live in a city they didnt come to.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2017, 01:15:57 PM »

Not to open up this can of worms, but why even bother releasing a live album if you have to fix a ton of stuff?   A live album should be "live," warts and all.

The studio version is there for those who want everything to sound just perfect. ;)

Could not disagree more.  When you are at the concert and caught up in the moment you are less likely to notice mistakes.  At home in your living room watching a DVD you cant miss them.  So many potentially incredible live DT performances have been ruined by James' off key caterwauling.  Really, he has laid waste to some of the most epic performances in all of rock.  Even if 95% of the performance is perfect, its that 5% that ruins it.  WHY NOT FIX THE 5% IT AND LET US ENJOY THE REST??!  I do not want to listen to the most technically proficient band ever to hear a bunch of mistakes.  And this goes back to Live Scenes from NY, it is not a new thing.  I really think the rest of the band is just too nice to do what needs to be done.

And...I love the Astonishing too.  Nothing wrong with James there.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2017, 02:48:36 PM »
Yeah, but if I wrote a 2-CD concept album and went on tour with my band and played the whole thing every night, I sure as hell would make sure I recorded it at least once.  I'm not even talking about whether or not it would make a good release for a live album; I would want a recording of the band performing it, for posterity.

Plus the fans weren't allowed to film songs themselves either

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2017, 03:21:13 PM »
Anyway, to those overly worried about James - check out this awesome rendition of Breaking All Illusions from my show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZksIow4BJ0

I don't think that's the only time he ever got a song so good, so if they're recording more shows, I think you can have top notch performances from him even without dubbing the shyt ouf ot it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2017, 04:03:42 PM »
Is it just me or is James in especially great shape when the band plays Italy? For some reason, the best clips are always from Milan, Rome or something.  ;D

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2017, 04:31:56 PM »
For the record, they actually record every show they play.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing