Author Topic: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album **DO NOT POST LINKS**  (Read 84836 times)

Offline gzarruk

He says it here: https://youtu.be/YTvjy47rB1U?t=46s

The video is from October 18th, so I think it's safe to say the mix should be already finished by now. I wonder if it's a TA live audio release or something from the current tour :o

EDIT from bosk1:

***UPDATE***

DO NOT POST/SHARE/REQUEST LINKS TO ANY RECORDINGS OF THIS SHOW.  AS OF NOW, IT IS OFF-LIMITS.

That's all I can say at the moment on the subject, but I just got word from band management that it is off limits, at least for the time being.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:52:52 AM by bosk1 »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 04:03:29 PM »
Ooo...Ytsejam release maybe.

Here's hoping for The Astonishing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 04:11:04 PM »

I remember that Jordan posted about the Budokan show of the IWAB tour was filmed, maybe it has something to do with that? Either way, this is great news :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 04:16:16 PM »

I remember that Jordan posted about the Budokan show of the IWAB tour was filmed, maybe it has something to do with that? Either way, this is great news :metal

Possibly so. Thats what I'm guessing it is. Maybe we'll get bonus tracks of DLPM and TLF
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Evai

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 05:49:27 PM »
A CD of the current tour would be best, since those old songs sound so different now plus with the lowered tuning. Makes it kinda interesting. The Astonishing live would sound basically the same as the CD
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 06:01:48 PM »
YESS
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 06:30:56 PM »
Hell yeah!! I hope it's regarding the current tour with performances in various shows like DT's own Flight 666.

That would be awesome :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 08:58:48 PM »
Awesome!  :metal

Offline PetFish

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 09:41:32 PM »
The only way a live release of The Astonishing makes any kind of sense is a video so all the amazing story visuals can be represented.  Having an audio-only release would be a real waste since it's exactly the same as the as the CD.

So here's hoping for an Astonishing LIVE Official Bootleg or an audio release of one of the current shows.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 10:19:32 PM »
The Astonishing live wouldn't be like the studio. They have the live sound, and feel. Which is what I like to hear for a live release.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 03:46:05 AM »
Fingers crossed. :metal

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 06:33:54 AM »
Christmas present?
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 06:37:21 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 07:00:19 AM »
They should do a double package.

Disc 1: Best songs off The Astonishing (more digestible to the general audience, people who didn't sit down for 130 minutes for the album won't do it for a live version)

Disc 2: Images and Words 2017
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 07:03:51 AM »
We already have an I&W Anniversary CD. Does anyone listen to it?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 07:10:05 AM »
To be fair, that's a limited release CD, not really available to anyone who wants to legally own it or legally listen to it. Theres just around 5000 people who can legally own it on CD.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 07:22:15 AM »
Yawn.

Let me know when there is talk of a live DVD release.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 07:50:50 AM »
To be fair, that's a limited release CD, not really available to anyone who wants to legally own it or legally listen to it. Theres just around 5000 people who can legally own it on CD.

Yes, you are right.

Offline Evai

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »
Yawn.

Let me know when there is talk of a live DVD release.

Never, costs too much money for little return :p
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 09:13:56 AM »
Christmas present?

This. I was hoping for a Christmas gift post-IAWB tour

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 09:55:14 AM »

I must have missed that? Do you know where he said that (interview, Facebook post)?
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 01:32:50 PM »
I really hope it's not TA live.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 01:49:05 PM »
I really hope it's TA live as a BR....

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 03:09:26 PM »
We already have an I&W Anniversary CD. Does anyone listen to it?

Actually, I listen to it REALLY often :)  I've had to buy it twice to finally have it!!  But anyway a new live release will be great!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 08:02:35 PM »

I must have missed that? Do you know where he said that (interview, Facebook post)?

He posted a pic showing some of the video crew on his Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/jordanrudessofficial/photos/a.10151821986107989.1073741826.8717682988/10155084200912989/?type=3&theater). Petrucci also posted a pic and confirmed it was filmed for a TV broadcast in Japan (https://www.facebook.com/johnpetrucciFB/photos/a.133462500039104.42405.126844294034258/1627934420591897/?type=3&theater).

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 11:52:58 PM »
A CD of the current tour would be best, since those old songs sound so different now plus with the lowered tuning. Makes it kinda interesting. The Astonishing live would sound basically the same as the CD

This.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 02:44:39 AM »
I'm curious how JLB's performance will come out. His singing was really rough this tour.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 02:59:35 AM »
Depends on wether they'll pick a single show, or more shows. For example at my show in Milan he completely NAILED Breaking All Illusions, power and enunciation clarity for the whole song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 05:16:07 AM »
Depends on wether they'll pick a single show, or more shows. For example at my show in Milan he completely NAILED Breaking All Illusions, power and enunciation clarity for the whole song.

In Padova instead I think TDEN was awesome. MM was really hyped IMHO

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 06:02:35 AM »
I think I read that they record every show. If it's going to be a full blown CD release, then it probably makes sense to use the best performance of each song across multiple shows.

Also, since they play to a click now, I'm wondering if it's possible to lift different sections of songs from different shows, and combine them together to get the best result? Interesting, but perhaps too much work to make it happen.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 06:13:59 AM »
Also, since they play to a click now, I'm wondering if it's possible to lift different sections of songs from different shows, and combine them together to get the best result? Interesting, but perhaps too much work to make it happen.

Blind Guardian did that for their 2003 "Live" album (Live is actually the name of the album, it won the originality award  :D), they pieced together different instruments from different performances. So it could be done, especially if you play to a click.

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 07:45:42 AM »
That's cool. I suppose you could argue that it's cheating, but it's no different than doing several takes in the studio and putting the best bits together.

Just thinking about vocals in particular - I think I'd prefer this approach to heavy use of autotune or whatever to massage one single performance into shape.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2017, 07:56:56 AM »
Maybe Bosk knows something about this release and he's not telling us? He knew about TLF and DLPM for a while before this leg of the tour started :biggrin:

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2017, 11:50:27 AM »
Last Friday, I sent questions to Jordan and yesterday I added a last minute question about that live release. Let's hope Jordan will answer it.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »
JP is on Eddie Trunk right now and he said they did not record any TA shows.  He said if you weren't there, you won't get to see it.