Author Topic: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album **DO NOT POST LINKS**  (Read 85582 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album
« Reply #280 on: January 18, 2018, 06:42:34 AM »
There are some youtube clips from his short tour in Europe and they are equally killer to the bootleg I have.  They played almost every song off of Elements and a few from the first two.  It is almost obscene how good everyone sounded and the bootleg I have wasn't even very good quality. 

I know Sfogli and Guillory were there, but do you know who were the other players?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #281 on: January 18, 2018, 07:04:00 AM »
I believe on the drums there was none other than Mike Mangini himself. EDIT SEE BELOW: I was wrong  :D

The european concerts were more well attended anyway. Mine was attended just as any minor/medium act, the (small) place was almost full.

I can only agree that James was impressive on all the setlist, and that he probably sounded better at his own shows than many other DT shows, even though 2005-6 was really his resurgence in terms of performances. I am very happy to have seen that show, and it was also the only occasion I had to meet any DT member - James was beyond gracious and kind to me and as well to anyone else  who approached him!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:10:28 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #282 on: January 18, 2018, 07:06:40 AM »
Lineup for the short JLB tour was:

-John Macaluso on Drums
-Marco Sfogli on guitars
-Matt Guillory on Keyboards
-Andy DeLuca on bass

Offline PetFish

« Reply #283 on: January 18, 2018, 11:59:16 PM »
There are some youtube clips from his short tour in Europe and they are equally killer to the bootleg I have.  They played almost every song off of Elements and a few from the first two.  It is almost obscene how good everyone sounded and the bootleg I have wasn't even very good quality.

I just remembered I have a bootleg from that tour called "Persuasively Unmuzzled" that I did the cover artwork for.  Doh.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #284 on: January 19, 2018, 07:31:18 AM »

I just remembered I have a bootleg from that tour called "Persuasively Unmuzzled" that I did the cover artwork for.  Doh.

LOL

I have that one. Didn't know you did the artwork. It's one of my favorite bootlegs.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #285 on: January 19, 2018, 11:10:59 AM »
Edited. I posted just the quote.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 04:46:59 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #286 on: January 19, 2018, 03:04:06 PM »

LOL

I have that one. Didn't know you did the artwork. It's one of my favorite bootlegs.

I think that's the One! I have a burnt copy though so I never saw the artwork. I think someone on the Mike Portnoy forum traded that for a full copy in full quality of elements of persuasion. They already had an original copy but not the bonus track which I think is called Understand.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #287 on: January 19, 2018, 04:42:39 PM »
Did you know if this bootleg is avaible anywhere to download? Thanks!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline PetFish

« Reply #288 on: January 19, 2018, 10:47:46 PM »
If anyone wants the artwork PM me and I'll send it to you.  It's not my best work but it does the job.

Offline Rushspirit2112

« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2018, 11:55:50 AM »
Has anyone heard about the live DVD or stream from last night? I can’t find anything on it no pictures no anything.

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2018, 12:53:04 PM »
Wow wow Japan webpage had it listed as 9 up until this morning and now I can’t find anything on it..hopefully it will pop up somewhere somehow

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2018, 01:50:32 PM »
It's already been established in this thread that it did air a few months back, and have been available as a bootleg from certain asian sources...

But as we're now in a situation where the band hasn't decided whether to release it officially, it's off limits for sharing.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2018, 12:08:00 AM »
Just those GIFs look better than any live DVD they've released in the Mangini era
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline PetFish

« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2018, 10:18:40 PM »
Just those GIFs look better than any live DVD they've released in the Mangini era

:flame:

But what song are the playing in each one?  Who can figure it out based on the images-without-words/sounds masterful fingering?

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #294 on: January 30, 2018, 01:06:49 AM »

But what song are the playing in each one?  Who can figure it out based on the images-without-words/sounds masterful fingering?
It's easy: Wait for Sleep !!! :metal :metal
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Rushspirit2112

« Reply #295 on: January 30, 2018, 06:03:43 AM »
maybe dark eternal night?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #296 on: January 30, 2018, 06:28:07 AM »
The image quality for BTFW is incredible, so I don't know where that comment is coming from lol.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #297 on: January 30, 2018, 06:58:31 AM »
The image quality for BTFW is incredible, so I don't know where that comment is coming from lol.

True, but the video quality of this looks pretty great as well.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #298 on: January 30, 2018, 11:59:13 AM »

Top one is Metropolis.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #299 on: January 30, 2018, 12:12:41 PM »

Yeah, and I know this probably looks gorgeous but there’s no solid way to know how it compares to BTFW, which was great in its own right (given this was specifically recorded for TV broadcast). No ill will here, I definitely hope we get to see this sometime soon in any form possible.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: January 30, 2018, 12:56:42 PM »

Yeah, and I know this probably looks gorgeous but there’s no solid way to know how it compares to BTFW, which was great in its own right (given this was specifically recorded for TV broadcast). No ill will here, I definitely hope we get to see this sometime soon in any form possible.

Yea, BTFW is fantastic in terms of video quality.  You can't tell anything about those gifs that would make me think it's better from that alone.  It's totally possible, but I wouldn't make that call without seeing the video.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #301 on: January 30, 2018, 01:21:35 PM »

Yea, BTFW is fantastic in terms of video quality.  You can't tell anything about those gifs that would make me think it's better from that alone.  It's totally possible, but I wouldn't make that call without seeing the video.

Couldn't agree more. BTFW has fantastic quality, far better than LALP.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Evai

« Reply #302 on: January 30, 2018, 01:42:05 PM »
Chaos in Motion was the only time I've had a problem with their image quality. (And Breaking The Fourth Wall was the only time I had a problem with their audio quality)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #303 on: January 30, 2018, 08:10:09 PM »
I just want it released ASAP

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #304 on: January 31, 2018, 02:19:04 AM »
I just want it released ASAP
I still hope it'll be officially released, even if JLB was not at his top that night...

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #305 on: February 01, 2018, 07:09:41 AM »
Chaos in Motion was the only time I've had a problem with their image quality. (And Breaking The Fourth Wall was the only time I had a problem with their audio quality)

Surprised at that as I think Chaos In Motion is pretty bad visually and awful sounding.  BTFW to me sounds superb, just like the gig I went to.  The early songs sound a little muddy but they did in person as well.  Once you get past that though, the rest of the concert sounds amazing to me.

I hope they release this new show but not if JLB sounds bad.  I never listen or watch the OIALT or CIM stuff purely for that reason as JLB is unlistenable.  This is coming from a fan of JLB by the way.

Offline Evai

« Reply #306 on: February 01, 2018, 07:19:17 AM »
I suppose I did judge BTFW based on the early songs. I remember stopping the DVD, spending some time trying to figure out what was wrong with my setup, trying my headphones vs my monitors, seeing if the surround sound mix improved anything.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #307 on: February 01, 2018, 08:49:08 AM »

Surprised at that as I think Chaos In Motion is pretty bad visually and awful sounding.  BTFW to me sounds superb, just like the gig I went to.  The early songs sound a little muddy but they did in person as well.  Once you get past that though, the rest of the concert sounds amazing to me.

I hope they release this new show but not if JLB sounds bad.  I never listen or watch the OIALT or CIM stuff purely for that reason as JLB is unlistenable.  This is coming from a fan of JLB by the way.

Agreed. What bothers me the most in the last couple of live albums though is the audio database crowd. Bt4W has a recurring female laugh on the left speaker that causes me to give up listening to the album whenever I attempt to give it another chance. Score still remains as my favorite soundwise.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #308 on: February 02, 2018, 02:38:40 AM »
^^ THIS. Bad. Once you hear it, you can never fully enjoy the recordings again.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #309 on: February 02, 2018, 12:08:55 PM »
What bothers me the most in the last couple of live albums though is the audio database crowd. Bt4W has a recurring female laugh on the left speaker that causes me to give up listening to the album whenever I attempt to give it another chance.
I hear ya - I feel the same way about L@LP. That incessant whistling every 10 seconds irritates me to no end.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #310 on: February 02, 2018, 12:21:10 PM »
What bothers me the most in the last couple of live albums though is the audio database crowd. Bt4W has a recurring female laugh on the left speaker that causes me to give up listening to the album whenever I attempt to give it another chance.
I hear ya - I feel the same way about L@LP. That incessant whistling every 10 seconds irritates me to no end.

It can't be as bad as my all time worst crowd noise thing ever: All those people whistling during 2112:Overture on All The World's A Stage.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #311 on: February 02, 2018, 01:10:01 PM »

It can't be as bad as my all time worst crowd noise thing ever: All those people whistling during 2112:Overture on All The World's A Stage.
Nah - at least what you heard on AtWaS is really what happened - unlike what I'm talking about, where DT took the crowd noise, created a 10 second loop, and repeated throughout the whole live recording. Awful and really poor.

And for the record, I don't have a problem with crowd noise - even on AtWaS, GUPTour and Rush in Rio, IMO the audience adds to the vibe of the show/recording. What we're talking about does just the opposite.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #312 on: February 02, 2018, 01:44:04 PM »
I'll take canned crowd noise any day over the crowds that sing/chant the INSTRUMENTAL parts for the entire concert.  Looking at anything in South America and most of Europe.

If people want to sing along with lyrics, great, but going "wooooWHOOOOOOOOwaaaaaaaaaWOOOOOOOwoooooooo" during a bass line or drum fill is just awful.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: February 02, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »
I love crowd participation and it's part of why I love albums like Rock in Rio.  The crowd becomes part of the music, makes it unique and adds a more live feel to it.   I do not like fake crowd noises added though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #314 on: February 02, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »

Oh I hate the way the crowd noise is mixed in on BTFW. It's hard to listen to. I'd much rather just listen to the boot, especially where James forgets Erin's name, and thanks the wrong college. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol