Author Topic: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album **DO NOT POST LINKS**  (Read 84824 times)

Offline DT4Life

Re: Richard Chycki says he's currently mixing a DT live album
« Reply #245 on: January 11, 2018, 04:20:57 AM »
Perhaps they'll play in the future a single TA-show with the stage and setlist like in 2016 to record it for a bluray/DVD. But I guess this will not happen and maybe we get a bootleg CD.
I would be very happy when they release a bluray/DVD from the Budokan 2017 concert and I don't know, what could be a possible problem. The video footage seem to be great, Chycki worked at the sound and the setlist and the venue at awesome.

Will this concert still be broadcasted on Jan, 28th on wowow-TV? I could image that they say at the day after the broadcast, that the show will be available as CD/DVD/BluRay. I think some other bands (Slipknot and Rammstein) did that last year in an similar way. One day, where the concert could be seen worldwide in cinemas and the next day they said, this will be available to buy as CD/DVD/BluRay. That's my hope when I think about an Budokan release.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #246 on: January 11, 2018, 05:51:31 AM »
Just checked WOWOW 's programming and DT at Budokan '17 is till scheduled for broadcast on the 28th.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Rushspirit2112

« Reply #247 on: January 11, 2018, 06:59:10 AM »
Something has to end up on YouTube or something. If it ends up being released on Blu Ray I would love fo purchase it. The Denver show was unbelievable

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: January 11, 2018, 07:27:10 AM »
Just checked WOWOW 's programming and DT at Budokan '17 is till scheduled for broadcast on the 28th.

So by the 29th we might see something on youtube

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #249 on: January 11, 2018, 07:33:52 AM »

So by the 29th we might see something on youtube

Someone will probably live stream it to Youtube.

Offline CB

« Reply #250 on: January 11, 2018, 02:10:45 PM »

Nine o'clock on a sunday morning?

Strange timing (I'm usually asleep at that time on sundays :laugh:, but I'm not japanese)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #251 on: January 11, 2018, 04:41:58 PM »
If they do plan on releasing a blu-ray/dvd of this show, they are wise not to announce it til after the TV broadcast. That way there will be more viewings on TV.
David Gilmour did that on Live at Pompeii. It was run through the select movie theaters before they announced a dvd. That way people would go to the theaters to view it in case it wasn't to be released. Good marketing.
 I doubt the DT show will be of that magnitude, but I would still buy it in a heartbeat.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #252 on: January 11, 2018, 11:35:35 PM »
Couldn't he be just mixing it for the broadcast? Just asking.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline DT4Life

« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2018, 12:57:56 AM »

Theoretically it could be just for the broadcast.
But when I see the screenshots with all the details (4-piece splitscreens for example) it looks like everything you can expect from an official release.
For me it looks to complex for 'just' an once in a lifetime japanese TV release.
I hope so much that it works like the release strategy at David Gilmour, Rammstein and Slipknot latest BluRay's and we know at the day after the broadcast, at January, 29th, that there will be a new BluRay/DVD.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2018, 01:32:00 AM »
Eh, if all the costs for the tv production was at the hands of the tv company, i do not see a reason why we would expect an official release. Maybe we could expect an official bootleg down the road, but when they did reveal the tv crew in social media, my assumption was always that they would not release it through the label. This is also what I have heard myself.

The quality of the video editing itself is of no consequence - everything is shot and edited digitally these days and making a split screen shot like that is very easy.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2018, 02:10:01 AM »
Don't forget Iron Maiden have just released a live album with the video portion only available online - no physical DVD/BluRay release.
I don't know why bands choose to go down this route, but it must make sense to them.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2018, 03:31:51 AM »

He did the live mix for the CD release that has been announced, it would be no issue for them to use that on the broadcast portion as every thing is time synced (and on a click track to boot.)
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2018, 04:50:03 AM »
I do not believe there has actually been an announcement for a live CD. BraveWords did post "news" based off a social media commentary from Chycki that he'd finished mixing the concert. Chycki used the image of the bootleg from the same show in the social media post. They picked up on that, found the image and the tracklisting for the bootleg, and assumed there would be a CD.

Other outlets ran stories based on the bravewords article. I have not seen any official information regarding such a release (not from social media accounts, not from label and not from management). In fact, in connection to the label change news, it would be strange to announce a live cd before announcing a label change...

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2018, 07:34:47 AM »

He did the live mix for the CD release that has been announced, it would be no issue for them to use that on the broadcast portion as every thing is time synced (and on a click track to boot.)

What now?

Offline Evai

« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2018, 07:54:43 AM »
People are always going on about JLB's vocal performances, it's perfectly understandable that they won't do live releases anymore
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #260 on: January 14, 2018, 06:19:04 PM »
No, but I haven't asked anything about that in a LONG time (i.e., back in the Luna Park timeframe).  It's something that has been on my mind the last couple of years though.  If I have an opportunity, I'll ask JP about it this Saturday.  Thanks for reminding me.

Bosk, did you manage to talk to John Petrucci last saturday? Any insight about a new DT live release or solo CD? Thanks!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #261 on: January 15, 2018, 08:57:27 AM »
Didn't really get to the subject of a live release, other than indirectly.  When we were talking about the band's schedule in general, he said some things about what they WILL be doing that had nothing to do with a live release, so I was left with the impression that I had before, which is that there aren't plans for one.  But just based on where the conversation went, I didn't directly get on the subject.

But we DID talk about whether he will work on a solo album.  In short, it's not going to happen anytime soon.  But here's why:  The band collectively has a relatively "short" break time now after doing the I&W tour, which remember came right after two TA tours.  After this break time, they plan to go into the studio and start working on the new DT album, which is set for a late Fall delivery date, so that it can be released in early 2018.  (the label actually wanted it earlier!)  For those of us going about our lives and waiting on a new DT album, that seems like a long way off.  But in terms of being a band and working with the typical album release cycle and all the details that entails (writing and recording time, then doing the re-records and other little details after the fact, post-production, mixing, and then the production/marketing/release cycle), there really isn't any "spare time" built into the schedule.  Right now is the spare time.  Unfortunately for those of us wanting a new JP solo album, JP was invited to G3 and is using his "spare time" to do that.  There isn't a window for him to record the next solo album, unless he were to rush something while he is on the road, which he doesn't want to do for obvious reasons.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #262 on: January 15, 2018, 09:03:45 AM »
Cool information, thanks a lot!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online goo-goo

« Reply #263 on: January 15, 2018, 09:26:36 AM »
Didn't really get to the subject of a live release, other than indirectly.  When we were talking about the band's schedule in general, he said some things about what they WILL be doing that had nothing to do with a live release, so I was left with the impression that I had before, which is that there aren't plans for one.  But just based on where the conversation went, I didn't directly get on the subject.

But we DID talk about whether he will work on a solo album.  In short, it's not going to happen anytime soon.  But here's why:  The band collectively has a relatively "short" break time now after doing the I&W tour, which remember came right after two TA tours.  After this break time, they plan to go into the studio and start working on the new DT album, which is set for a late Fall delivery date, so that it can be released in early 2018.  (the label actually wanted it earlier!)  For those of us going about our lives and waiting on a new DT album, that seems like a long way off.  But in terms of being a band and working with the typical album release cycle and all the details that entails (writing and recording time, then doing the re-records and other little details after the fact, post-production, mixing, and then the production/marketing/release cycle), there really isn't any "spare time" built into the schedule.  Right now is the spare time.  Unfortunately for those of us wanting a new JP solo album, JP was invited to G3 and is using his "spare time" to do that.  There isn't a window for him to record the next solo album, unless he were to rush something while he is on the road, which he doesn't want to do for obvious reasons.

He could record his solo album while on the studio with DT (if he has more songs written aside from the two he is been playing with G3). I think that's how he did it last time around. I believe there was a small video about it and IIRC, it was at the now defunct Beartracks studio.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #264 on: January 15, 2018, 09:31:02 AM »
After this break time, they plan to go into the studio and start working on the new DT album, which is set for a late Fall delivery date, so that it can be released in early 2018.

New album coming in few weeks, thanks Bosk!  :metal

:lol

Jokes aside (It's more than obvious that you meant early 2019), I get how the timeframe for them isn't really long. It's gonna be a long year of waiting for us but surely no year of doing nothing for them. It will be worth the wait  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2018, 09:33:53 AM »
Kind of surprised they aren't taking more time off this year.  I thought for sure they wouldn't be doing DT this year, but I guess with a new label and their push, it makes sense.  I wonder if that means JLB's solo tour idea has been scrapped as that would have been in the fall, other than his progpower appearance. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #266 on: January 15, 2018, 09:38:48 AM »
If by autumn the album is done and his vocals are recorded, all he has to do is some interviews here and there, and for sure he won't be busy mixing it and producing it. He could still tour. I hope he will!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: January 15, 2018, 09:56:01 AM »
Yea, it's possible.  I'd love him to tour as well, although Im booked for my trip to ProgPower, it would still be cool for him to get out and do more shows. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #268 on: January 15, 2018, 12:00:33 PM »
The band collectively has a relatively "short" break time now after doing the I&W tour, which remember came right after two TA tours.  After this break time, they plan to go into the studio and start working on the new DT album, which is set for a late Fall delivery date, so that it can be released in early 2018.  (the label actually wanted it earlier!)
Really surprised that they aren't gonna have more down time before starting work on the next album. Was it strictly due to label pressure that they're cutting their break short? If so, couldn't they have resisted this? I fear this push might result in them not having enough time to work on the album as they might want or need.

He could record his solo album while on the studio with DT (if he has more songs written aside from the two he is been playing with G3). I think that's how he did it last time around. I believe there was a small video about it and IIRC, it was at the now defunct Beartracks studio.
I think the difference is, last time JP also had MP to help produce and oversee everything going on with the DT album. With MP out of the picture, it's all up to JP, and with him being very hands-on, I can't imagine that he'd want to be missing from any of the band's recording sessions.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #269 on: January 15, 2018, 04:57:32 PM »
The band collectively has a relatively "short" break time now after doing the I&W tour, which remember came right after two TA tours.  After this break time, they plan to go into the studio and start working on the new DT album, which is set for a late Fall delivery date, so that it can be released in early 2018.  (the label actually wanted it earlier!)
Really surprised that they aren't gonna have more down time before starting work on the next album. Was it strictly due to label pressure that they're cutting their break short? If so, couldn't they have resisted this? I fear this push might result in them not having enough time to work on the album as they might want or need.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think so.  I got the impression from this conversation and others that John is pretty driven to keep them on a pretty regular release schedule, and they are actually behind that schedule now because of how the last tour cycles have gone.  The second Astonishing tour was supposed to be much shorter, but it got booked in a way they didn't intend, which pushed back the I&W25 tour.  And then that tour also grew beyond expectations as well.  So I think they had originally planned on a longer break AND earlier release.  But the way things have worked out, they were on the road longer than expected, and they are really itching to get going on some new material.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #270 on: January 15, 2018, 06:49:01 PM »
Kind of surprised they aren't taking more time off this year.  I thought for sure they wouldn't be doing DT this year, but I guess with a new label and their push, it makes sense.  I wonder if that means JLB's solo tour idea has been scrapped as that would have been in the fall, other than his progpower appearance.

Crap.  Didn't think of that.  This is kind of a strange turn of events (y'all thought i was gonna say "dramatic" didn't ya.

But seriously, I'm sure the new album will kick ass no matter what but I was really hoping JLB could do a solo tour and whatnot.  The break would also help them recharge the batteries. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #271 on: January 15, 2018, 07:00:21 PM »
After this break time, they plan to go into the studio and start working on the new DT album, which is set for a late Fall delivery date, so that it can be released in early 2018.

New album coming in few weeks, thanks Bosk!  :metal

:lol

:rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #272 on: January 15, 2018, 07:44:53 PM »
Sometimes I wish the band members wouldn't get involved in so many side projects so they could focus more on DT stuff.  I do understand from their standpoint why though, so they don't get burnt out on the same thing "day after day, night after night"  from the grace of God, the band is still alive.. RROOOOOAAARRRRRRRR!!!!!
  Gotta keep it fresh..  :chill
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline PetFish

« Reply #273 on: January 16, 2018, 12:00:08 AM »
Crap.  Didn't think of that.  This is kind of a strange turn of events (y'all thought i was gonna say "dramatic" didn't ya.

But seriously, I'm sure the new album will kick ass no matter what but I was really hoping JLB could do a solo tour and whatnot.  The break would also help them recharge the batteries.

Didn't JL try and do a solo tour a few years ago but only a few dozen people showed up to the first show and then it went *poof*?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #274 on: January 16, 2018, 01:06:59 AM »
He toured in 2005 and completed all the intended dates in Europe and in the USA. He wanted to tour some years later a second time, but working permits for one of the bandmembers didn't work out and the tour had to be canceled.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #275 on: January 16, 2018, 01:10:52 AM »
The second Astonishing tour was supposed to be much shorter, but it got booked in a way they didn't intend, which pushed back the I&W25 tour.  And then that tour also grew beyond expectations as well.  So I think they had originally planned on a longer break AND earlier release.
I agree with the fact that the Images, Words and Beyond tour grew beyond expectations so it pushed back the break before the next album but are you sure the second Astonishing tour was supposed to be shorter? Because from what I heard (from a French promoter), Dream Theater was supposed to come back to Europe in Winter 2017 to do a second European TA leg in different and smaller cities (like what they did for the second US leg) but the promoters didn't want them to do that as the 1st European leg and the 2nd US leg were not a success. So in a hurry, the band decided to capitalize on their most famous album to do a second European leg and then they extended it due to its success. I may be seriously mistaken but even James said that they would be back with the Astonishing shows when touring for the 1st time in Europe (I think that in Stockholm, he said, see you in Fall).
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #276 on: January 16, 2018, 04:03:47 AM »
One of my affiliates recently communicated with the band - and the last we’ve heard is that they’re thinking about the dvd but has not decided

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #277 on: January 16, 2018, 12:34:26 PM »
One of my affiliates recently communicated with the band - and the last we’ve heard is that they’re thinking about the dvd but has not decided

Someone needs to influence them.

QUICK SOMEONE GO BUY ME A CRATE OF VARIOUS SMALL MAMMALS
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Evai

« Reply #278 on: January 16, 2018, 03:38:25 PM »
Quick, lets make a petition!!!!!

(I mean, someone made a petition to kick out jlb, so there can be a petition for this too!  :lol )
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #279 on: January 17, 2018, 09:20:50 PM »

Didn't JL try and do a solo tour a few years ago but only a few dozen people showed up to the first show and then it went *poof*?

As MirrorMask stated, the 2005 tour was completed.  It was a small handful of dates.  I'm not sure how the attendance was overall but I know at one show, maybe in New Jersey, James joked in between songs, "I should have just had this show in my backyard!" I think I read that only about 50 people showed up (and if I'm not mistaken, one of those people was Mike Portnoy!).  I think I have the bootleg of that show and it is fucking killer.  So pissed I couldn't make it to any shows so I vowed not to make that mistake again.  Bought tickets for his 2011 tour and...well, you know the rest. 

There are some youtube clips from his short tour in Europe and they are equally killer to the bootleg I have.  They played almost every song off of Elements and a few from the first two.  It is almost obscene how good everyone sounded and the bootleg I have wasn't even very good quality.