Author Topic: What Guitars did John Petrucci used on recording WDADU?  (Read 5435 times)

Offline Drinktheater

What Guitars did John Petrucci used on recording WDADU?
« on: November 04, 2017, 01:49:25 PM »
Was it a carvin? or is he already using an Ibanez USRG that time for the recording
And she listens openly

Offline gzarruk

Re: What Guitars did John Petrucci used on recording WDADU?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 02:23:57 PM »
I found this:

Can anyone identify anything from it?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 02:29:27 PM »
Better look at the same guitar here: https://youtu.be/j98h3s9qcIg?t=1m17s
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 03:31:53 PM »

I should have just ask John when I met him in Manila last September lol Why I only thought about this now!

The Shape of the Headstock is definitely not an Ibanez or Jackson. But I have no idea what it is.

Awesome find BTW.

And she listens openly

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 03:49:12 PM »

I should have just ask John when I met him in Manila last September lol Why I only thought about this now!

The Shape of the Headstock is definitely not an Ibanez or Jackson. But I have no idea what it is.

Awesome find BTW.

If you look later in the live footage of that documentary, the logo on the headstock looks very similar to:

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 04:02:30 PM »

Awesome find BTW.

If you look later in the live footage of that documentary, the logo on the headstock looks very similar to:

Good eye bro!

And so it is I googled John Petrucci B.C Rich and I found this article its an interview.

JP did use the B.C. Rich for WDADU!

https://musicplayers.com/features/guitars/2007/0607_John_Petrucci.php
And she listens openly

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 06:18:43 PM »
And so it is I googled John Petrucci B.C Rich and I found this article its an interview.

JP did use the B.C. Rich for WDADU!

That was a great interview! Even though it's from 10 years ago and a lot of things have changed since then, it was still very cool to read it.

About the guitars he's used over the years it's something like this:

- B.C. Rich = WDADU
- Ibanez = IAW, AWK, FII & SFAM
- Music Man = everything else

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 06:50:29 PM »
Wasn't he already prototyping the EBMM during SFAM or was that during the tour that he started using EBMM?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 07:29:55 PM »
Wasn't he already prototyping the EBMM during SFAM or was that during the tour that he started using EBMM?

I think it was during the tour, because at 2010 they released their JPX 10th anniversary EBMM guitar, which means he started using them around 2000.

Here's footage from a SFAM tour show in 2000 where he used the EBMM prototype for all the standard 6 string tuning songs, but used Ibanez for drop D on Home (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POuKGtf6d3c) and 7 string on TDOE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zC6EjLiZng). My guess is he still recorded SFAM with Ibanez and started using EBMM during the tour.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 05:41:34 AM »
Neat! I remember him talking about the prototype on the Metropolis commentary.

Offline mrbigbri

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 11:06:06 AM »
Yes...it’s.a USA BC Rich ST-III.... Street value of about $600 in 1989.  I own one and love it!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 10:28:36 AM »
I would think the EBMM endorsement brings a ton of (well deserved) royalties but I prefer the Ibanez sound, at least for JP.  And I know there are a lot more variables in a guitarist's sound than just the guitar make, but I prefer JP's Ibanez era tone, lead and rhythm.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 01:46:23 PM »
Not only royalties, but JP is in the position to ask pretty much anything he could ever want on a guitar and the guys at EBMM would make it happen no matter what. That’s big deal for JP.

On the other hand, the JP signature guitars are the top selling line for Music Man, so having him on board is very important for them as well. It’s a win-win situation.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 02:19:51 PM »
I would think the EBMM endorsement brings a ton of (well deserved) royalties but I prefer the Ibanez sound, at least for JP.  And I know there are a lot more variables in a guitarist's sound than just the guitar make, but I prefer JP's Ibanez era tone, lead and rhythm.

I honestly think it's just JP's style of playing back then. He switched guitars right around the time his style of playing switched.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 11:00:40 AM »
Yes...it’s.a USA BC Rich ST-III.... Street value of about $600 in 1989.  I own one and love it!

Interesting looking guitar it looks so 80s, I wonder when exactly John got interested in playing Ibanez RGs!
And she listens openly

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 11:19:58 AM »
The ibanez is by far my favorite. And its what inspired me to play ibanez guitars.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 10:40:23 PM »
This is a great subject!  I would love more than anything to get a JP Sig EBMM (any installment), but my pocket book sais no.
I'm glad I got my PRS custom 22 when I was younger and had less bills. PRS makes excellent guitars, I wonder if John Petrucci has ever played one?  Lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 09:02:46 AM »
This is a great subject!  I would love more than anything to get a JP Sig EBMM (any installment), but my pocket book sais no.
I'm glad I got my PRS custom 22 when I was younger and had less bills. PRS makes excellent guitars, I wonder if John Petrucci has ever played one?  Lol

https://youtu.be/_ovdzUj8h6o?t=5m15s

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »

MPc:  Change of Seasons.

JP:  Something that pops into mind is the solo in “Change of Seasons” – it was improvised. It was a scratch solo.

MPc:  Oh wow!

JP: Yeah. I didn’t like it, and it was David Prater again. He came back and he was like, “That’s the solo. That’s awesome!” and I was like, “That sucked! I just improvised that!” and I remember trying to redo it, and he was getting impatient with me and he [insisted that first take was the one]. We left it, and to this day, I’m not crazy about it.

Is he nutty?  I'm guessing he is referring to the one around 15:30?  I would have never guessed that.  Its one of my top JP solos.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 01:21:58 PM »
^ I agree that's a killer solo. If I remember correctly, JP also improvised the Voices solo, which is also one of my favorites.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 02:27:11 PM »
I feel the same way as JP about the ACOS solo, I’ve never been a fan of it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 02:50:54 PM »

Wow thanks, that's a great find! I had no idea JP used a PRS on part of TOT.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 06:54:10 PM »

Wow thanks, that's a great find! I had no idea JP used a PRS on part of TOT.

Don't know if he ended up recording something with it or not, but at least he used ito on the writing sessions :biggrin:

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 03:37:38 PM »
I feel like I remember hearing that UaGM was improv'd as well, which is just bananas.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »

Don't know if he ended up recording something with it or not, but at least he used ito on the writing sessions :biggrin:

He recorded the scratch track for SoC with it. You can see him playing it in the background on MP's Drums of Thought DVD. So he did record with it, but I'm willing to bet it's not on the finished version. :)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 11:35:56 AM »
Speaking of guitars, does anyone know what Pickups where used for Erotomania and the other Six string guitar sets on the Awake album?

I know in the Images and Words he is still using a Di Marzio "The Tone Zone" in the Bridge position
And she listens openly