Author Topic: I wish we had an option to...  (Read 176 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I wish we had an option to...
« on: October 31, 2017, 03:00:31 PM »
Remove notifications of new posts in threads that we've posted in.

Like say, you posted in a thread a few months ago, and the conversations have gotten severely off topic, or gone a direction where you really don't give a damn anymore. You have no way to stop getting notifications from that thread.

Is there any chance that can be done?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Looks like Fish, tastes like chicken
Re: I wish we had an option to...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 03:27:15 PM »
Beg Bosky to lock the thread?

Offline Bolsters

• Aphelion
  • DTF.org Member
  • I exist where access was denied
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 08:03:42 PM »
Can't you go into your profile and edit/remove threads you receive notifications about?

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 08:06:33 PM »
Yea, I get no notifications at all. Forgot it was even a thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 09:53:35 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think Jay might be referring to the "Show new replies to your posts" link in the top right.  That's the first place I go on the forum, and occasionally into the main boards to see what new threads I may be interested in.  There are often threads I don't even post in because I don't want them showing up in this "notification" shortcut (for lack of a better term).

Like right now, I regret posting in the Alive vs Alive thread. 

:youfail:

Otherwise, if it's official "notifications", then I have nothing to add, as I don't request any actual "notifications" on any of my posts.
Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.
Note to forum, jingle is usually right.
I'm actually disappointed he's not Kim Jong-Il

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 10:23:55 PM »
profile>Account Settings>Modify Profile> Notifications and untick.

.................if I am getting what the question is.   I don't use Notifications either.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 07:25:59 AM »
Chad is right. I'm referring to  "new replies".
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 08:51:20 AM »
Doesn't the notify/unnotify button at the top/bottom of the replies page do that?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
I think it does if you haven't commented on the topic yet.

If i click on it for this topic, it gives me the option to turn it ON. But it's already on... as I received a notification that there as a new post.

I'll try cycling it on and then off and see if any replies show up.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 06:38:41 PM »
My "Notify me of replies" is already unchecked.  I suspect that "notify" is an email message (I get them in the PPUSA forum that I occasionally participate in).  I NEVER get an email notification of replies in threads from DTF (I only get notifications of PMs).

My experience has been that the "Show new replies to your posts" has nothing to do with the "notification" settings..  It's simply the list of threads that A) I have posted in and B) there has been a new reply in the thread since I last viewed it.

This is what Jay (and I) are asking about - to somehow 'turn off' these threads that we posted in at some time, but don't care about the topic/thread anymore to see when new replies are made.
Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.
Note to forum, jingle is usually right.
I'm actually disappointed he's not Kim Jong-Il

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 12:51:01 PM »
I've never received notifications. In fact, I came to this section of the forum to see if there was even such a feature implemented.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!