Author Topic: your opinion about Colin Kaepernick. You sign him or not?  (Read 3398 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: your opinion about Colin Kaepernick. You sign him or not?
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »
The problem Kaepernich faces in terms of his lawsuit is that he isn't entitled to a job.  And even if everything he is saying in the lawsuit turns out to be factually true, there is nothing illegal that I can see about it.  So as with much of his conduct as of late, this seems more about using the system for publicity than anything else.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 09:05:19 AM »
He DESERVES an NFL job, and is ENTITLED to the league minimum paycheck. :facepalm:

I counldn't disagree with that more.  It's not possible to disagree with that any more than I do.  :) :) :)  In fact, I disagree with it so much, I have ruled out that you are joking, or being sarcastic. 

NO ONE "deserves" anything in the NFL, and no one is "ENTITLED" to anything.

And we've already discussed why he probably CAN'T be a back up on any team; he doesn't seem to fit the role of backup guy (and understand that I don't at all believe that any player can play any position on the roster).     

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2017, 09:28:08 AM »
He DESERVES an NFL job, and is ENTITLED to the league minimum paycheck. :facepalm:

I counldn't disagree with that more.  It's not possible to disagree with that any more than I do.  :) :) :)  In fact, I disagree with it so much, I have ruled out that you are joking, or being sarcastic. 

NO ONE "deserves" anything in the NFL, and no one is "ENTITLED" to anything.

And we've already discussed why he probably CAN'T be a back up on any team; he doesn't seem to fit the role of backup guy (and understand that I don't at all believe that any player can play any position on the roster).   

Oh yeah, green text and what not  :lol. What, you didn't see my air quotes?

I remember years ago, when Ricky Williams chose to retire so he could chill and smoke weed and do yoga and hopefully not turn into a vegetable, he was being railed by guys on ESPN about how (paraphrasing), "if you don't want to be in the NFL, then the NFL doesn't want you." But I did take one good point away (I think it was Schlereth) from all the chastising, "Nobody has the RIGHT to be in the NFL. Being an NFL player is a PRIVILEGE." Apparently that's lost on the players now, as you have guys comparing themselves to Dred Scott.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2017, 02:22:45 PM »
Is he good enough to be a backup? Probably. Is he a starter? Probably not.

He is in the same position Tebow was. If he had no baggage he would likely be on a team, but no one wants the circus in there town.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 02:10:38 AM »
I don't know if this has been addressed or not because I didn't read the whole thread but I heard on the radio that the wording in the NFL rule book regarding the anthem policy is something along the lines of "players should stand for the anthem."

"should"

Not "must", "have to", or any other absolute term. If this really was an actual issue for the NFL and not just placating people with convenient, timely patriotism used as a means of veiling their own possible prejudices, they probably would've made a point of not letting the language of the rule book be so grey area in the first place.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2017, 08:40:59 AM »
Is he good enough to be a backup? Probably. Is he a starter? Probably not.

He is in the same position Tebow was. If he had no baggage he would likely be on a team, but no one wants the circus in there town.

Tick, this isn't really a response to you personally, you're just the last one to weigh in on this.   I've been thinking about this a lot lately, what with the Garappolo deal and all, and I respectfully push back on this even more than I did before.

Michael Vick.   Ray Lewis.  That Suh guy. Half of the Cincinnati Bengals.   Anyone that has beaten their wife/girlfriend and then went on to be Jerry Jones' new shiny thing.     The NFL has proven that they are not at all swayed by "circus".    Belichick made it work with Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, and a handful of others that are, in their own way, a "circus".

If there was an NFL team that was, in their current state, not a Super Bowl team, and yet WITH Colin Kaepernick they ARE a Super Bowl team, I guarantee you he would be in their uniform.  I am more and more each day convinced that that is just not the case.  He's an excellent ATHLETE, he is not a good NFL QUARTERBACK.  Those are not the same things, and Colin is experiencing that right now.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2017, 08:55:33 AM »
I saw some headlines but didnt read, but is the a collusion case against the NFL about this now that will require Jerry Jones and Goodell to hand in their cell phones?  That would be interesting.